How is COVID-19 impacting your beer advocacy?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by elNopalero, Mar 3, 2020.

1. PathofChaos

PathofChaos Devotee (401) Oct 20, 2019 Maryland

I never go out to drink, so it hasn't effected me at all.

At a bar, a decent beer is $6+ per glass
    For the price of two glasses, I can get an entire 6-pack of high-end craft beer from the liquor store.

Drinking at home is more economical and, in my opinion, more relaxing.

BMBCLT, Shanex, pudgym29 and 4 others like this.
  2. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (500) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Same here. On trips we absolutely hit up all we can, but even during non-covid, we might go to a brewery a month close to home.

We like hanging in the home brewery/taproom more. More relaxing and certainly cheaper, but also between what I got on tap and what we have purchased in the beer fridge, far better selection!

Still drinking our 2 or 3 days a week, so that has not increased or decreased any during all this. Just chugging along as usual!

Shanex, pudgym29, JHDStein and 2 others like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I can’t remember the last time I drank a beer in a bar or pub, well before Covid though.

4. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,532) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

One of the best aspects historically for myself in visiting a brewery tap room was to talk with other people you don’t know. In last 5-10 years that dynamic has eroded as so many people tend to either cocoon within their smartphones or stick only to communicating in their small groups they came with and not as open communal discussions with strangers as in the past. Covid has made the alienation to having conversations with others even more isolating in public places.

5. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I've been harping on this the entire time, this is the plan that should have been executed from Day 1.

And this is actually happening in many states' as their hands are being forced and they are in fact closing indoor dining (among other restrictions that are similar to last spring) and gyms again.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be a bailout anytime soon.

Sorry, I was replying to your post on my phone. What did you say again?

6. nc41

Society Trader

Pfizer has chosen their initial target states for their vaccine. So NM, TX, TN, RI will be the first four.

7. AlcahueteJ

Society

Note that they will not get preferential treatment or receive the vaccine before other states.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/pfizer-chooses-4-states-for-pilot-vaccine-delivery-program/

“Though the states were chosen to help refine a plan for the delivery, deployment and administration of Pfizer’s vaccine candidate, they will not receive the vaccine earlier than other states, the pharmaceutical company said.”

nc41 likes this.
  8. nc41

Society Trader

Makes no sense then, why did they make the statement in the first place? It’s like Black Friday stuff, get it early release it on Thanksgiving. I heard J&J was close as well, they were saying over 90% I believe. Distribution will be interesting that’s fir sure, but military and health care workers, first responders need to be first in line.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  9. ecpho

ecpho Aspirant (252) Mar 28, 2011 New York

Why does the military have to be first in line?

followerofmen and nc41 like this.
  10. nc41

Society Trader

Really? Who's protecting our ass? We have thousands deployed into combat zones in Iraq and Afghanistan , tens of thousands in Korea, the Navy has Carrier Groups at sea, those guys are living asshole to belly button. National Security my friend comes first, then the people who take care of us, they need to be safe doing their job. Last in line in congress let em sweat and wait.

PathofChaos, Shanex, Redrover and 3 others like this.
  11. ecpho

Ok I'll say some of those points are valid but to me healthcare workers, teachers and vulnerable populations should be top tier. I think all efforts have to be made to get schools fully open so that most of the population can start to go back to work (as not everyone has the luxury of working through Zoom). I'd want to include cops but those around here don't wear masks because they think they do not have to follow the rules. You and I both know GOP congress critters who for almost a year said this was a hoax will be first in line.

PathofChaos, Chipotle and nc41 like this.
  12. nc41

Society Trader

My bad yes teachers up there with health care workers and first responders. The people who take care of us must come first. Congress is useless they should by deeds done the last 12 years wait in like they’re useless tools, regardless of party affiliation.

13. piggy_rulz

piggy_rulz Initiate (32) Dec 4, 2019 Missouri

Isn’t it obvious?

So soldiers can be injected with nanotechnology that will “enable” a prime directive telling them to go to YOUR house, take your guns and steal all the whales from your cellar.

Pretty much nutjob conspiracy 101.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  14. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (7,257) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Moderator Society Trader

The military, as always, will be first in line (as mentioned, along with health care workers and politicians), for reasons you likely don't see.

If a ship has an outbreak, they can't (won't) sail. That has an enormous impact on the military's readiness, in particular with strategic deterrence. We still have service members overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan. An outbreak on a carrier would rapidly cripple their ability to deploy - as we already saw back in the beginning of the pandemic. Military members must be ready to respond to a variety of emergency situations, not all of which are combat related - and those are mission essential.

The short answer is: much of the military's job is a no-fail mission. Some elements (not all) simply cannot quarantine or telework. They have no choice. When there is a lock-down order, they're still going to work every single day, and taking on more Covid risk than the general public (but less than health care workers).

In other words: it's not merely "patriotic" or political to put military members near the front of the queue. It's practical and necessary.

CBlack85, Shanex, CB_Michigan and 3 others like this.
  15. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

@ecpho quoting my own post to add on: I hope that doesn't sound combative or snooty. I took your post as a legitimate question, not a dig or an insult, so I was merely trying to explain the answer to that question - but I sometimes come across rude without meaning to. :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ and ecpho like this.
  16. ecpho

My thinking is there are way too many active military members than necessary especially since the wars of today and tomorrow are more likely not on the ground but in cyberspace. Our bloated defense budget is buying aircraft carriers when we should be looking more at online defenses like what Russia and China are doing.

Anyway to get back to beer, I think indoor dining and similar activities need to be shut down for the winter. The govt needs to extend more help to those businesses that need to close. Once Biden is inaugurated you are going to see certain senators suddenly concerned about the huge national deficit and say there's no money for anything. We went through this is NY but the rest of the country is still in their first wave.

17. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,065) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Right, this was one of THE key lessons from 1918-19, people working/interacting in tight confines. Since the flu largely spread in, from, and across military barracks, bases, and frontlines back then, it makes sense today. Next up, all the nurses, teaches, doctors, close intimate contact folks. Then... the rest.
    Again, this makes sense, and it is one of the transferrable lessons from 18-19 flu experience to this particular Coronavirus. Just like masks. [Cities in 18-19 that had a mask mandate had a 50% lower mortality rate than those cities that did not mandate masks. This is not made up; it's part of the historical record. Happy to provide sources]. Cheers!

18. Roguer

Moderator Society Trader

Oh, I agree with the first point: there are way too many military members for a carte blanche first-in-line approach to be logical. It's the easiest way, logistically, and so that's what the government will surely do (as any veteran about anthrax vaccinations, for example). It would make far more sense to prioritize certain jobs within the military - a tiered approach. We probably won't see that, though.

One significant challenge we will face, regarding possible shutdowns, is the way governments (plural; from federal to local) have mismanaged the pandemic. That's not universal; some have done better than others. But the impact of staggered and periodic shutdowns of businesses such as bars, restaurants, and breweries, with limited government assistance, has essentially been a death sentence for some - and not just those who were struggling before (which is a common narrative, grounded in at least some truth).

I don't think it's unreasonable to say: if you, as the government, are going to require that certain business shut down during the pandemic (a reasonable safety measure), then you, the government, should also ensure there are adequate financial measures in place to at least mitigate the economic impact. Maybe forgive their taxes for the duration - how's that for a start?

CB_Michigan and Chipotle like this.
  19. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,303) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Amen. I am astonished by how truly stupid some seemingly smart folks become by following politics instead of science. I thought Atlas held up the celestial universe and was not a shepherd.

20. nc41

Society Trader

I agree and disagree. Our military is large because they’re mission is to project our power, now whether we agree or disagree that is our military platform. We are a world police force no secret there, again agree or disagree that’s a truth. Russia and China have two aircraft carriers between them I believe, I haven’t a clue to how many Carriers we have, but I’d guess 10 x that amount. Then there’s the Nuke boats, I doubt anyone has a clear number on those as they’re probably the closest guarded secret in our military. I have no problem with the ability to project more power than our enemies, I think the abilities to dominate the air is key in any conflict and we can do that. I don’t like being a world cop though, in many places it’s not wanted neither is it effective. But your point is well taken, but it’s not as simple as just sending guys home and shrinking things.

pudgym29 likes this.
  21. nc41

Society Trader

Was that in Guam where the Captain took his ship off line and docked it because they were getting hammered by the virus. Wonder what became of him? They probably cashiered him I bet. They had a death if I remember right, but the Navy is especially vulnerable because of the nature of being on a ship where close confines are unavoidable. I agree it’s not patriotic but its absolutely necessary, being in the military and social distancing are 180s, most times it’s completely impracticable. How they ever change out personnel changing duty stations has to be a monumental feat with zero room for error, especially the guys loading up to start their float.

Roguer likes this.
  22. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Poo-Bah (1,876) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

The chinstrap bros, & the ones that jam their hand in to mine, forcing a handshake (trying to provoke?), & similar, deserve some blame.

I'd guess, similar to other catastrophes, it's (attempts) to seize "opportunities", rather than any plan, or concerted effort. The problem with most conspiracy theories (other than sketchy/no evidence :wink: ) is that they give the supposed conspirators wayyy too much credit. They're (generally) not that competent. If they were the sort to work that cooperatively, and that not-cutthroat, they probably wouldn't be doing anything that nefarious to begin with. (whatever that is)

To get back to the OP (if I may :wink:) , I've stopped going to the brewery that I visited most often. They have all the room in the world, outdoors, so they've set up procedures that are probably as safe as can be done, soooo .... that makes it time-consuming, & a pain in the ass. I can get their stuff,if I want it, most of it anyway, at the 2 beer stores that carry their beer, in less time, with less interaction. (2-5 min?)
    Went to one other brewery, a couple of times, & it's just one employee, with 2/0 other customers there , with plenty of distance. Other than that , staying away .

23. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (518) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

I would actually say thats quite the gamble by the CEO.

24. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I have typed out and deleted well over a dozen posts in the past hour with a bunch of random facts but ended up deleting them all.

I don't want to give my opinion. I want to know yours.

Do your worry the trillions from the CARES Act (which I believe was required) can possible be combined with the fed creating trillions out of nowhere to prop up the stock market?

I worry about inflation and the possibility of losing the dollars as the world reserve currency depending how we choose to pay our debt.

I can't quote anyone particular above but the reason our military gets so much money thrown at is the "use it or lose it" clause written into prior legislation.

The more money you waste the more you get.

25. AlcahueteJ

Society

It's confusing, but I think they just chose those states to formulate a plan on how to distribute the vaccine. But they won't get it before any other states. It's just planning, not actual distribution.

They chose those four because they have a lot of Covid, but also because there's a diversity regarding the size of those states.

traction and nc41 like this.
  26. traction

traction Devotee (466) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

I have no inside info but this seems correct.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  27. stairway2heavn

stairway2heavn Initiate (134) Aug 17, 2017 New Jersey

Modern Monetary Theory would say it would take a real overshooting of the economic crisis to cause inflation. Or put another way, there's a huge gap in employment so getting those people baseline buying power is unlikely to cause any inflation. Even economists who aren't sold on MMT have said you really can't over correct here. Short of the great depression this is the worst economic crisis of the last century.

The military gets money for a few reasons.

Propaganda. Only the most liberal Congress critters would dare take the bad press from cutting defense spending, despite any waste. There's a false dicotomy between supporting the troops and keeping up defense spending.

Social program. There's a reason the boondoggle F35 has some manufacturing of parts or assembly in 49/50 states. What legislator is cutting jobs? Sure, spending that money on broadband internet, public health departments, bridges, high speed rail, solar panels, wind power... Those all would provide jobs AND investments that would pay off (fighter jets don't promote economic growth or reduce long term climate change damage). However...

Defense industry lobbying.
    They got money, and you can't run a campaign without it.

Remember, the Koch brothers/hyper libertarian and Republican groups like the heritage foundation lobbied for years to cut public health funding. And pushed concerns over government spending (tax cuts for the wealthy were ok though, because of imaginary economic growth that would make up the difference.)

So..."handouts" are demonized. Bombs glorified. The wealthy have their large homes, health care, tax cuts, and in some cases private islands.

Your average bartender can pound sand in their book. They should've been a banker.

followerofmen and pudgym29 like this.
  28. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Meyvn (1,135) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

JHDStein likes this.
  29. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,029) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Where did you see/hear this? I thought it was one shot and then a booster of a different type a year or so later. Just wondering. Im not in the range to get this vaccine yet so I dont really know.

Enjoy

nc41 likes this.
  30. stairway2heavn

There's two DIFFERENT shots. I won't bore you with the guidelines on who needs one or both. They're not the same. You can also get a second dose under certain circumstances.

31. Hurl4bru

Hurl4bru Initiate (110) Mar 9, 2019 Massachusetts

No they didnt

32. nc41

Society Trader

Damn, so sorry my bad, it’s the shingle shots that’s a two parter. But I’ve had booster shots with my Hepatitis shot many years ago, it was typically a 3 shot series, but years after my antibodies were lagging they gave me a 4th. I suppose this might be true with other shots as well. Again my apologies,

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  33. tobelerone

tobelerone Poo-Bah (3,050) Dec 1, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

amen Dave. So much bullshit out there and so many people willing to accept it and adopt it as a personal philosophy.

for me this has ultimately led to more recently, less beer, because when this all went down and I was quarantined 24 hours a day with a toddler my
    beer consumption went through the roof and I gained a bunch of weight. Now drinking beer one day a week and have subbed in red wine, which I am really digging.

woemad, JHDStein and cavedave like this.
  34. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,849) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Me too, but which efforts and decided by whom? Are we gonna tackle the 800lb gorilla in the room that is the oil and gas sector (including plastics)? If so, sign me up

Or are they gonna push other things that have lesser magnitude of impact? Such as global plant-based diets that exclude ruminants and their role in the Carbon cycle? Who benefits financially from such a shift (hint, it sure isn't small individual farm producers)?

If they attempt to look for opportunities across all sectors equally and proportionally I'm supportive. But if they want to eliminate my dad's grass-fed beef ranch (likely a Carbon sink not source) for a plant-based diet (potentially a Carbon source not sink), while failing to subsidize renewables to the same magnitude as other energy sectors, then F them.

35. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Meyvn (1,135) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I agree with you 100%. Small farms simply don't register on nearly the scale that mega-scale livestock farms do, in playing a measurable role in CO2 emissions. There are definitely multiple angles to combat an issue like this, and I would argue only a few key aspects are really significant enough to make a difference, and it sure isn't your dad's ranch. The problem is the unfathomable lobby power and political sway in the hands of the very people who are most responsible for the ecological and climatological degradation that we're seeing. While the math is there, actually enacting legislation and making change where change must be made is a monumental obstacle, and people are far too complacent and divided to get the ball rolling. I think renewable energy, and seeking responsible alternatives to gas and oil are crucial avenues to seek while we still have the time and ability to pump the brakes, I do fully recognise that there are serious political and societal challenges to make such a reality come to fruition.

36. nc41

Society Trader

Don’t underestimate the power within the Pentagon and our intelligence agencies, they command more power than many might suspect. Probably more than the President I might guess right now, but that’s just my opinion. The President and Congress are forced to work in the open, but the military and all the intelligence assets are free to work in the dark, beholding to no one.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  37. stairway2heavn

Power generation and transportation are overwhelmingly the biggest contributors worldwide. They will be targeted. Mostly an issue of externalities. That is the costs of climate change aren't accounted for in your tank of gas, or natural gas provided electricity. So death of hop crops, burning vineyards, flooded real estate... Those costs are born disproportionately by the government and certain populations while corporations in particular profit.
    A vegan diet can't be adequately regulated nor would it be anywhere near adequate. So no, cattle ranches aren't going anywhere, though as more countries desire more meat serious discussions about lab grown and alternative meats is likely. Whether we as a nation and planet do enough now, or put it off until it's too late to avoid the worst catastrophes is obviously in limbo. But I personally would like to have high quality beers and good hop crops survive for the next half century personally, to say nothing of, you know, lots of people unnecessarily dying, so hopefully progress is made this decade to fix things.

woemad, jakecattleco and cavedave like this.
  38. SnugTeam6

SnugTeam6 Initiate (50) Apr 7, 2014 Massachusetts

I think the fun thing about BeerAdvocate is that one can enjoy in-depth discussion on the latest seasonal IPA alongside weird peddling of dangerously stupid conspiracy theories!

"Wow, this double dry-hopping does wonders for this brew. Also the Deep State controls you and made COVID!"

39. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (2,072) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

I do contact less pick up. I also go to a bottle shop occasionally, but not as much as I used to.

Rocktire likes this.
  40. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (4,422) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I go to my favorite pub in the middle of the afternoon in a week day, once or twice a month , because there’s nobody there...and I turn down the several bottle shares I’m invited to monthly. Florida is once again surging with Covid 19 cases, so other than a pick up or quick in and out at a store or brewery, I stay home.

On the positive side, I’ve done some great trades with new guys (all daily posters on WBAYDN), and I started getting beer through Tavour. So I’m still drinking too much, but I’m drinking well and almost exclusively at home. Cheers!

traction, AlcahueteJ and JHDStein like this.