How long can I keep a beer marinade?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jsouthern, Jul 10, 2018.

1. jsouthern

jsouthern Initiate (100) Jul 10, 2018

Made a pretty good beer marinade last night, but made way more than I need. I put it in the fridge with the intention of using it again today or tomorrow, but wondering if anyone knows the shelf life for a beer marinade.

The herbs and spices in it should keep for a while, but not sure if a flat beer will marinate my meet the same.

Thanks!

2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,967) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Member Beer Trader

A few days is my rule. It may last longer, I really don't know, but why chance it.

TonyLema1 and drtth like this.
  3. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (362) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

If the marinade was in contact with the meat I wouldn't save it(bacteria). If the portion you kept didn't touch the meat, I would think it would keep for up to a week.

4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,967) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Now there's a thought, I don't keep uncooked meat in the fridge past three days either.

Lahey likes this.
  5. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,619) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

I quit doing marinades a long time ago. I usually dry brine now as I find it is more effective, and science tends to support it. Main options are either dry brining or wet brining. Marinating doesn't usually work out the way you want it to. For steaks I will usually dry brine for a day or 2 in the icebox before cooking. A whole turkey usually 2 days.

eppCOS, Squire and drtth like this.
  6. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (676) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

I don't marinate anything in beer; I boil/simmer brats with leftover or beer I don't fancy drinking. But @donspublic has it right about most marinades. Brining is awesome. I do think the same salt and sweet components from brining can carry over into a good marinade but it takes longer, and has to be a little stickier/pastier than most people are used to doing. #deepthoughts

donspublic likes this.
  7. donspublic

Boil brats in beer, pull when done (finish on grill to get some caramelization), reduce beer until almost a syrup then add peppers/onions and cook until they reach the doneness you like. Pull peppers, reduce beer/pepper juice back down to a near syrup and remove to cool, stir in some whole grain mustard and you have a great sauce for your peppers and brats. A bock works good for this.

The thing with seasoning most proteins has to do with osmosis. Here is a somewhat more scientific explanation https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/gather-round-the-table/brining-101.html

8. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (184) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

whats this dry brine?

9. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (442) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I call it salt.

TonyLema1 and StoutSnob40 like this.
  10. brutalfarce

brutalfarce Initiate (184) Mar 23, 2018 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

well salt is good but pretty sure there's more to it than that

11. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,175) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

if the unused marinade hasn't been contaminated (with raw meat, etc), I would think it would last about the same as home-made salad dressings, 10-14 days. The carbonation will be gone ( I think the bubbles kinda help push the seasonings in, but, I'm not a pro), but I don't think it will "go bad" (in an unsafe food handling way) in a couple weeks.

As always, YMMV.

Lahey likes this.
  12. donspublic

Anything you want to pull into the meat. The salt extracts the moisture out where it mixes with salt and whatever other seasoning is mixed with it, then it gets pulled back into the meat. I first was sold on this a few years ago when my mother in law got really pissed because her turkey never was ready on time at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have done the turkey the last 4 years, and the cooking time on the turkey has ranged between 1:10 minutes and 1:30 minutes depending on the size of the bird. I now completely remove the wings and thighs and debone the thighs and stuff them with seasoning (fresh sage, thyme) and tie it up with butcher string. Now I can pull of whatever pieces are done and put the rest in the oven to finish. For serving, remove the string from the thigh and cut it in 1/2 disc, remove each breast from the bone and slice it. This whole thing is about prepping ahead of time and spending very little time cooking and slicing the turkey.

brutalfarce, drtth and scream like this.
  13. donspublic

brutalfarce likes this.
  14. donspublic

shit 1:10 hours and 1:30 hours