Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

How long to age Ten Fidy???

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by RyanCave, Apr 19, 2013.

1. RyanCave

Hi everyone,

Picked up a 4 pack of Ten Fidy tonight, realized its incredible, and now want to throw some in my cellar for a while.

How long should I keep them??

2. FUNKPhD

I've heard of people keeping them for years and they're awesome. But then there's the crowd that says cans do this and that to the beer, but I think they're just looney.

3. paulys55

Beer Trader

Why not just try one each year and make notes of how they change...or every other year...

Cubatobaco likes this.
  4. RyanCave

That's a great idea! I think I'm going to grab another 4 pack, and I'll be hitting the brewery in August so I'll grab more then

thanks!

5. danimalthegreat

Consensus is that Ten Fidy is best around 2 years and many have noted that it falls off around Year 3.

6. Baab200

Beer Trader

I was lucky enough to find a four pack from November of 2011 and I have to say it was very good! Velvety smooth

2Xmd likes this.
  7. cde1218

Beer Trader

It's pretty easy to find it already aged for you...I've come across 2011 and 2010's pretty easily on the shelf in NJ.... Guy at the beer shop I go to rationalizing it by saying not many folks want to pay 15-18 bucks for a 4pack of canned stout so it tends to sit around a while..... Works for me! :D

2Xmd and Cubatobaco like this.
  8. harrymel

I have some from '09 forward. The beer becomes more well rounded and develops quite a substantial graham cracker character at around three years.

I disagree that the "consensus" is that it peaks in 2 years. I've yet to have one old enough to think "this was better x years ago".

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  9. fox227

Graham cracker! Hmmm. When I had two year old Ten Fidy I noted that it reminded me of roasted marshmallows, which was probably the graham cracker taste reminding me of them.

10. RyanCave

I got a lot of chocolate and coffee in my fresh one. Sounds like a s'more in a bottle :)

11. SFACRKnight

Beer Trader

Ten fidy is seasonal. All the weirdos outside of Colorado let it sit year round, but a lot of places here locally have already sold out.

12. GRG1313

Beer Trader

Consensus of whom?? Almost everyone I know and would consider sufficienlty knowledgable to be part of such a consensus are all over the board! From drink it fresh to let it age forever! I don't know of a "consensus" in connection with aging any beer, that's how controversial it's all become.

However, to be fair, I DO age Ten Fidy. I age it the 20 minutes its in my car from the closest L.A. store where I pick it up to my kitchen where I open it and pour it into a Duval tulip!

Cubatobaco likes this.
  13. berserk4886

Tried a four year vertical ('09, '10, '11, '12) when I was out in the area for GABF this past year. I agree that it becomes a bit more rounded and the robustness fades. Not bad, but not something I'm looking to age personally.

14. dannon71

Had an 09' and a 13' this weekend. The 09' was much smoother and less hot than the 13'. The various flavors were milder and more melded than the 13'. I enjoyed it quite a bit but it was definitely beginning to take on certain acceptable but present oxidized qualities imho. You can tell that time is quickly taking its toll but not yet in a bad way, again imo. To each his own but worthy of aging just for the experience. Cheers!

2Xmd likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe