how long will a tapped keg stay good?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by bonez05404, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonez05404

bonez05404 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 Pennsylvania

I have a dual tap kegorator and ive tapped 1 sixtel at a time fearing i wont drink 2 sixtels before it starts to fade.
    1 sixtel can take me close to 3 months to kick....i know i know, i should drink faster... I feel ashamed that i have yet to use its full capacity!

With that said, and figuring different styles stay better longer, how long do you think these styles will last:
    Ipa
    Barleywine
    Imperial stout

Would love to tap an ipa and a big stout.

2. commis

commis Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

Tapping a keg doesn't affect its shelf life if your system in working properly. Tap them.
    This has been covered several times here. Search the forum and you'll quickly find a plethora of information.
    Cheers

3. KJR

KJR Initiate (0) May 2, 2012

I have had beer in mine for several months. it is still fresh. the key is to keep oxygen out.

4. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

only thing to maybe be concerned with is 'freshness' of an IPA. the beer will stay good as long as you keep out the CO2

csano likes this.
  5. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Aspirant (290) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

I think you meant to keep in the CO2. You need to keep out the O2.

6. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

Whoops, I meant keep out the O2 - good catch :)

7. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Initiate (0) Nov 18, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

as long as your not using a hand pump you will be perfectly fine.

8. barls

barls Initiate (145) Nov 15, 2006 Australia

i find they run out first before going bad.

cubbyswans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More