Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

how long will a tapped keg stay good?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by bonez05404, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonez05404

bonez05404 Mar 7, 2010 Pennsylvania

I have a dual tap kegorator and ive tapped 1 sixtel at a time fearing i wont drink 2 sixtels before it starts to fade.
    1 sixtel can take me close to 3 months to kick....i know i know, i should drink faster... I feel ashamed that i have yet to use its full capacity!

With that said, and figuring different styles stay better longer, how long do you think these styles will last:
    Ipa
    Barleywine
    Imperial stout

Would love to tap an ipa and a big stout.

2. commis

commis Jul 21, 2009 Massachusetts

Tapping a keg doesn't affect its shelf life if your system in working properly. Tap them.
    This has been covered several times here. Search the forum and you'll quickly find a plethora of information.
    Cheers

3. KJR

KJR May 2, 2012

I have had beer in mine for several months. it is still fresh. the key is to keep oxygen out.

4. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

only thing to maybe be concerned with is 'freshness' of an IPA. the beer will stay good as long as you keep out the CO2

csano likes this.
  5. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

I think you meant to keep in the CO2. You need to keep out the O2.

6. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

Whoops, I meant keep out the O2 - good catch :)

7. GoldenChild

GoldenChild Nov 18, 2009 Michigan
    Beer Trader

as long as your not using a hand pump you will be perfectly fine.

8. barls

barls Nov 15, 2006 Australia

i find they run out first before going bad.

cubbyswans likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe