How many Beers of Fame have you reviewed?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,314) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

Here's a list that doesn't get enough attention: Beers of Fame. 250 classic brews that stand the test of time. These are beers that were added to the site at least 15 years ago and are still in production.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/fame/

I've reviewed 86 of them, but I'm pretty sure I've tried all of them at some point over the years. Might be time to revisit some of them too.

How many have you reviewed? What are you thoughts about the list?

2. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (4,219) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

There was a time where this was 'the list' I was trying to pursue. Despite that effort, I've only reviewed 105 of them. Some of that effort is shown in my cellar and fridge, where I have several more beers on this list ready to review, I just haven't gotten around to for one reason or another.

It's not a list I'm optimistic to finish though. Some of the lambics in the list trade for much higher value than I could justify. Likewise, Utopias isn't sold in my state (beer has an ABV limit, but not liquor? Who is making these laws!?) But in general, if I see a beer from this list in the store, I buy it.

VABA, Scotchboy, Junior and 13 others like this.
  3. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (257) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

51. Westy 12 and BCBCS have been my favorites.

larryi86, Bitterbill, SABERG and 8 others like this.
  4. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,761) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I’ve had 50, not too bad out of 250. After a quick look, I evidently enjoyed them all a lot.

5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,176) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The state legislature - such limits are usually based on the state excise taxes on beer vs. distilled spirits. Missouri has among the lowest of both (#48th - you can probably thank Anheuser-Busch for that), but there's quite a difference between the two:

Beer = 6¢/gallon
    Spirits = $2/gallon

6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,876) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm not much of a reviewer, but looking over the list it looks like I've had the vast majority of them. And oddly enough, the ones that I haven't had seem to be congregated in the top 25, where those highly sought after and tough to come by beers reside. :wink::sunglasses:

rgordon, oldmankoch, Junior and 12 others like this.
  7. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,900) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Wow. 29, didn't realize I was so "hip." :wink:

Or so old? :grimacing:

8. Soneast

Soneast Champion (830) May 9, 2008 Wisconsin

126. There's some on there that I will never get to try, like Younger, and I see a few that I have had, but never rated for whatever reason, Iris and Frambroos off the top of my head.

9. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,014) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

As best as I can recall just reading thru the list, I'm at 115. I have not been a member who rates beers, especially back when I drank many of these 115 beers, but one that I counted in the list does have a checkmark next to it.

The list appears very valid and these beers belong there, although I don't recognize many of them. It was nice to revive memories.

10. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,377) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

70, which is actually more than I was expecting before I checked.

11. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Meyvn (1,222) Nov 4, 2015 New York

30 reviewed .
    24 that I've had , but not reviewed. Had them before coming to BA, or before I started reviewing, or had them in less-than-good condition. Of those, I see 3 I could do . The rest are beers I haven't seen for years .
    Most of the rest of the list are ones I've never knowingly seen available.

Junior, tone77, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  12. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,577) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

97! and with a little bit of reviewing I could knock out some more because there are a lot on this list that Ive had before or have access to and just never reviewed.

13. dwoolley1

dwoolley1 Devotee (416) Dec 16, 2009 New York
    Trader

officially, 112.

14. beerthiefdotca

beerthiefdotca Initiate (69) Nov 19, 2017 Canada (NL)

I count about 136 I've had and I have a bunch of them in my cellar. I don't think I've reviewed any to date but I'm just starting

15. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (8,791) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

234 had, not sure how many of those are reviews. Will get them all done eventually... I think

16. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,535) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I've reviewed a paltry 29, but some really good ones.

I like this list because it is the "time tested" list versus the Top 250. Beers of Fame is like the GOAT list and the Top 250 is like Casey Kasem's Top 40 (I may be dating myself with that reference). Both serve a purpose one tells me "what's hot" in the here and now and one tells me pretty much what's always been hot or has had other significance attached.

17. steveh

Society

When you click to the page Todd linked, a little sub-caption shows your count -- at least those you've reviewed.

Tickers get no recognition. :wink:

18. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,932) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

I have reviewed 178 of them. I have had many of the ones I have not reviewed at one point or another though. Like Heady, multiple times, just never been able to sit and put my thoughts to paper (well screen now). Since it has been a few years from the last time I have had it, will remain unreviewed for now :slight_smile:

Its honestly the first time I have looked at that list, or any others in a long time as well. Of the "top" or "best" of whatever, this is by far my favorite, (edited from saying best) :slight_smile:

#18 champ103, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  19. jts211

jts211 Aspirant (270) Aug 5, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Is it surprising that there are only 3 lagers and one being a helles?

20. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,736) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

This is one of the most focused lists I have always worked on, but strangely I have got myself into trying to find some of them, and found it kind of hard at times.

I remember at one point the bottom half of the list would change fairly frequently, but that seems to have settled.

currently at 226 out of 250.

21. drdiesel9483

drdiesel9483 Poo-Bah (2,241) Feb 21, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I've reviewed 107 but like you, I know I've had more of them than that. 5 of the top 10. I agree that we should revisit. Interesting to try again and see what you reviewed last time and compare. I can't wait till BA allows you to keep your old review and post a new review the way untappd allows. Plus a nice app like untappd would really help with getting more people to us BA, which is a better way of reviewing beers!!!

22. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (6,757) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

I've reviewed 111 if them.

There are plenty more I'd love to get my mitts on. I'm sure I've had a few that didn't get reviewed (i.e., I had them before I joined BA or just didn't get around to reviewing them).

Personally, I love the idea of 'Beers of Fame' as those beers have generally withstood the test of time amongst a wide swath of beer drinkers.

23. Todd

We track both, but don't separate them in the counts. I just use the word "review" more when referring to the general process as that's how BA started and I want to encourage more people to review.

24. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Crusader (788) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio

Same here. Not being an IPA fan I probably won't achieve a *really* significant jump over that but who knows...

Bitterbill likes this.
  25. Beginner2

Beginner2 Poo-Bah (3,622) Feb 14, 2016 Illinois
    Society

Well, maybe you have more than my 161, but at least I have Bragging Rights among the Medicare Crowd.

26. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,279) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I've reviewed 154 out of 250.

Most of those that I am missing are not available in my area. I don't trade, but I do make sure when I travel to check out the local offerings. I've been to Belgium, so the Westvleteren box is checked plus a couple of the Cantillons.

27. Ursula1007

Ursula1007 Initiate (107) Feb 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

Ha! Only 3 red check marks but browsing the list I didn't check in quite a few.. Basically after 2 things, Untapped and the Twitter Beer Advocate guys blocked me - after years of having a subscription! So I stopped paying attention to BA.

Bitterbill, HoppingMadMonk and Shanex like this.
  28. Ursula1007

Ursula1007 Initiate (107) Feb 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

P.S. I am very pleased to have this list.

mikeinportc, Bitterbill and REVZEB like this.
  29. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (4,619) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

I've reviewed 138 of them. I've definitely had 12-15 more of them, and I'm a little shocked at some of the ones I haven't reviewed.

I love this list. I see it it as the more reliable, less trendy version of the top 250. I refer to it from time to time for beers to seek, or to recommend to others. The ones I haven't reviewed would make a pretty good wish list for me.

I wish it was sortable, though...and I could figure out which ones I reviewed with the highest and lowest rDev (without going to each beer)...etc.

But I love this list.

30. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (8,538) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

142. I actively challenged myself to get a good grasp of craft beer's long term trajectory when I really started getting into it, which seems to be shown in my sampling size, but I have some work to do still.

The Beers of Fame list is very helpful in getting a better understanding of where the industry is by showcasing the best of its roots or inspirations, albeit excluding some classic beers that are no longer in production.

It's a great resource to point new enthusiasts to in an effort to redirect their laser focus from the latest hype, and help foster an appreciation for groundbreaking, trendsetting or trailblazing beers that, looking back, took an approach that may have been extreme in their day, but are also much less absurd than what a lot of today's hype pursues.

This can help to both appreciate quality beer for what it can be at its best, and also put into context just how far things have come, particularly how many breweries across the country, and the world, have become adept at making styles that may have been niche at the time, and only rarely executed well by a select few in that time.

It can also help to reset your palate to a more reasonable standard, while illustrating when styles can be pushed too far to one extreme, not just in today's world, but in the past as well. The pendulum never stops swinging, but over time it seems to swing less drastically as everyone becomes more exposed and educated to all the good beer that's out there. Of course, there are always outliers.

31. steveh

Society

Understood, and I was just nudging them in my own way. :wink:

Here's a question: why can't we sort the list to show our own reviews at the top, as we can with other lists?

32. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (6,569) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

96, which is way more than I thought. Scrolling through the list, it feels ilike there are plenty more that I for some reason haven't rated. Gotta get on that!

33. beerthiefdotca

beerthiefdotca Initiate (69) Nov 19, 2017 Canada (NL)

Kind of like going through the "1001 Beers You Must Taste Before You Die" I've crossed off a bunch of those. I have the 2012 edition and a quick skim through showed 212 that I've had. Funny I saw at least 5 that I hadn't checked off but it's been awhile since I've looked at it. I should get out all of my tasting notebooks and go through it again as I'm sure there are more. Go but yourself a copy and you'll amuse yourself for years. As you can imagine there's lots of crossover with this list. Too bad our liquor board sucks, almost none of these will ever make it here! I think about 14 of the top 20.
    [​IMG]

34. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (6,562) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

103, not to shabby, but only 4 of the top 20 and 1 of the top 10. I need to step up my game.

35. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,874) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Interesting list. I've reviewed 174 of them. What really surprised me, was the number of beers on this list that I've tried, yet never reviewed. There was a time when I pretty much reviewed every beer I sampled. Somehow though, it appears that a good 40 or 50 of the beers on this list I never reviewed (even though I've sampled them - in some cases numerous times).

There look to be 20 or 30 beers on this list that I've never tried (mostly lambics). Could be worse I suppose. :sunglasses:

36. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,667) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Officially 80, which surprises me not a little since I'm not on a formal quest or anything. I also have at least another half dozen or so turding it up in the cellar and the fridge. It's been well over a year since our last bottle share. If we ever get around to another one, maybe I can knock off a few more.

37. moodenba

moodenba Devotee (426) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I've reviewed about 6 on the list and have had about 15 others. My highest rating, far higher that the average score, was for Harviestoun Old Engine Oil Porter on cask. I sampled this on a chilly evening alone at a bar where the staff was busy getting ready to close up for the night. The cask serving style certainly influenced my score. I think my rating that deviated most on the low side was for Bell's Two Hearted Ale. Personal preference probably influenced this rating too. I do like the style, but this particular beer somehow missed the mark for me.

mikeinportc, Bitterbill, o29 and 2 others like this.
  38. Todd

Not at this time.

39. beer_beer

beer_beer Devotee (457) Feb 13, 2018 Finland
    Society

Impressive list.

So far no NA there, had to make sure!

40. Rainintheface

Rainintheface Champion (856) Apr 30, 2007 Massachusetts
    Society

37. I counted another 47 that I've had for sure.

mikeinportc and HoppingMadMonk like this.