How many of you actively rate beers?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by PrimustheOne, May 20, 2018.

1. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (762) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Rate every new beer on untappd

Review every beer briefly on untappd

Review here far and few

Rate here occasionally

Untappd is just much easier to use and post a photo to.

I log all my beers there and it's easy to go look them up

Enjoy

DrivinNCryin likes this.
  2. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (153) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Trader

It would have to leave a hell of an impression on me, be something so rare/new/etc that hardly anyone else has reviewed it, or to counter what I would consider "unfair" reviews.

Harrison8 likes this.
  3. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,556) Jun 11, 2013 New York

For about the first 500 beers I would try and rate and review every one. Now after so many I do "taste" each beer that I have although I do not rate or review each one any more. I would say I am down to about 1 written review with score each week.

4. teal

teal Initiate (92) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Not really. I have in the past, here and Untapped but just isn't enjoyable for me. I get nothing out of it.

Everyone's palates are different and for all I know, a reviewer just finished a cigarette right before they rated/reviewed something so I tend to take others' reviews with a huge grain of salt.

I always figured if I really liked a beer - I'd remember it and no need to keep a digital diary.

For me - I hated this idea that I had to filter the experience through how I rate the beer. I was like the guy you see at a concert. Phenomenal seats, good friends, great band but watched and experienced the whole thing through the 5 inch screen on his phone because all he wanted to do was record, snap, tweet and instagram the experience instead of taking it in - barrel strength 10 feet in front of his nose - life size.

Now - I just drink to have good beer and experiences WITH the beer. The beer is no longer the experience in itself. This weekend I had a very good radler from Wisconsin Brewing while at a food (for lack of better term) festival. Loved the hell out of it. Had 7 of them, along with 2 Busch Lights and a Miller High Life. Enjoyed the experience much more than deconstructing the beer.

I realize - probably not the norm for BA users tho.

5. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,868) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I review every beer at home here on BA, and sometimes tick rate when out. I find it easier to just take a picture of the menu or chalkboard and enter later on BA. Alot of times the new beers aren't entered yet, so I need to do the legwork. Taking the pic. works best.

LeRose, PapaGoose03 and utopiajane like this.
  6. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,520) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

I love to review when I have time. Yes it can be tedious using many of the same descriptions but I fiend it makes you appreciate the really good ones more.

Bitterbill, LeRose, cavedave and 2 others like this.
  7. JBogan

JBogan Champion (837) Jul 15, 2007 California

I stopped reviewing about 8 years and many different beers ago. It stopped being enjoyable, in fact it started feeling more like a task than something I actually wanted to do.

Then, as has been mentioned here already there are so many variables involved that it started to feel pointless. Many times I 've had beers that I've previously reviewed and my subsequent experience with that beer was much different from my earlier ones.

Whatever the case, I'd still probably review them if I enjoyed it enough, but I don't. However it's good to hear some people do.

DISKORD and FBarber like this.
  8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,255) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

When I first got involved with this hobby / obsession, I rated everything. Now I review everything. I probably don't drink nearly as often as most others here, so I don't find the review process to be tedious at all. If i'm out, I'll put some notes in my phone, on a cocktail napkin, or on a copy of the tap list (preferred). I'm not the best reviewer, but I enjoy contributing here wherever I can. And if I happen to find some heretofore undiscovered nuance (e.g. that the aroma of Bud Light Platinum is eerily similar to that of stagnant roadside ditch water), so much the better.

Bitterbill, Squire, LeRose and 4 others like this.
  9. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,433) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

I will rate when I am at a brewery or otherwise just tasting samples. That way if I know if I want to buy the beer later on down the road.

I review beers at home, or on the road when I buy something new. There's a few gaps in that record, but I generally write a review for something new when I have the larger than tasting size sample to (hopefully) enjoy. I find it is part of the enjoyment - to me it is not a chore, but it helps me to focus on attributes better and understand what I like about a beer.

PapaGoose03, FBarber and utopiajane like this.
  10. PrimustheOne

PrimustheOne Initiate (73) Nov 23, 2016 New Hampshire

Thanks for all the responses guys. FWIW, I was using the terms rate and review synonymously.

FBarber likes this.
  11. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (312) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

I keep a journal for new beers I try.
    Good or bad I rate them 1-10.

LeRose likes this.
  12. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,661) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I started reviewing beers before I started reviewing beers.

What I mean is I started keeping my own record of new-to-me beers just to know what I liked and didn't like. At first, it was a simple letter grade (A+ down to F) with notes about why. I kept this is a spreadsheet so I could sort, easily find things, etc.

Then, after reading reviews here, I started taking more detailed notes and ratings based on the Look-Smell-Taste-Feel-Overall system (based mostly in complete ignorance about tastes & aromas... I still struggle to tell the difference between bread and biscuit :stuck_out_tongue: and am still amazed at all of the individual aromas and tastes some reviewers can discern in the same beer!).

I finally started posting, first just ratings and then reviews. I post my reviews here and on RateBeer. I guess posting them is mostly an ego thing, since I also keep everything in my spreadsheet, and IDK if anyone gets any benefit from my reviews.

I now review nearly every new-to-me beer, but never based on just the first try. If I don't feel like reviewing a new beer, and just want to enjoy it, fine... that's what I do. I'll review it the next time... see, I rarely buy singles unless forced to by limits. I will always buy at least 2, and usually the complete package (4 or 6).

I do follow some fairly strict rules on reviewing beers. One, I never review a beer based on just one beer (unless I have absolutely no alternative). Second, I never review a beer based on drinking at a bar, restaurant, festival, or brewery. Besides being a bit rude to those you are there with (while I take notes, etc.), there is far too much sensory overload in those places to do the beer justice, IMO.

To review a beer, I drink it at home and I will take notes on the first beer, then wait at least a day, have a second, and then do the "full" review. I started using this approach once I discovered that initial expectations "color" my first tasting on many beers (usually toward the negative), so to give the beer a "fair" shake, I will now base a review on two different, separated in time, tastings. Third, 10-12 oz is the minimum for each tasting; no 5 oz (or worse, 2 oz) samples.

Since I buy 4-packs or 6-packs typically, there is plenty of beer left to just relax and drink (either before or after the actual review).

13. mudbug

mudbug Defender (605) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

It's pretty obvious that the majority of BAs do just that thing.

14. DISKORD

DISKORD Devotee (429) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

I don't rate anymore. Ended deleting my ratings and a couple of reviews. No need to hype anything up. I'd much rather just enjoy a beer, than spend time on rating it or writing a review OR taking pics.

15. JoeK89

JoeK89 Initiate (161) Mar 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

All on UT.
    Mostly just top 250 beers here.

16. dcotom

Society Trader

I almost forgot: I take pictures of EVERY beer I drink and post them to WBAYDN and (occasionally) NBS. If I am at home, I ALWAYS pour my beer into a #proper (in a rather, um, broad sense of the term) serving vessel for the style. If I am away from home, I will grudgingly accept lesser glassware. (And it has to be GLASSware. This is non-negotiable.)

All in fun, of course. Because beer should be fun. :wink:

17. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,637) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I used to pretty frequently, but I stopped a few years ago. Once you have had as many beers as I have had, it's tough to find unique things to say about them. It's even tougher to compare and rank them vs. other beers, too.
    Most beers are "pretty good" with some great/terrible ones out there to break things up.

18. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,459) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

I do just rate beers a lot, I prefer to write a full review,but sometimes I'm hanging out with people and I just quickly rate it on untapped then transfer it over here later.

Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  19. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (294) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

I want to start, but I really can't. Honestly I just base everything on taste so I would have a lot of inflated ratings. Appearance and mouthfeel do not really matter to me unless something is just god awful watery.

20. MNAle

Society

And when you drink a hazy IPA, do you fill your "proper" glassware to the brim with no head and then use your photo editing app to make it bright orange (instead of its natural muddy brown) so you can post it on your favorite social media or 2? :grin:

#60 MNAle, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    beertunes and FBarber like this.
  21. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,425) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I really agree with the "pretty good" part of your post as being the norm. I used to rate everything 'to style' as best as I could and used 3.0 as average. But then I realized that 90% of the beers that I was drinking actually exceeded style so I changed my rating 'curve' to allow for a 3.75 as the base point at which I rate beers, but then I adjust above or below that score depending on how well it fits into its style.

This just gave me an idea for a new thread.

Bitterbill and dcotom like this.
  22. HopHead89

HopHead89 Initiate (161) Oct 20, 2016 California
    Trader

same here

23. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,362) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I've actually reached a point where I won't even open a new beer unless I'm ready to review it.

bbtkd and dcotom like this.
  24. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,637) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I found myself mainly buying/trying beers I saw on BA, so by default the majority of them were better than average just by getting mentioned here. As time has passed, there are probably 10x more options on the shelf than there used to be. Generally speaking, most ARE good. They don't usually bother distributing anything that isn't anymore. At least not counting random experiments and shits and gigs items. Competition has mostly forced beer to improve. Most of the lesser stuff tends to be random taproom items scattered around the country. There are lots of hidden gems and lots of hidden turds in random suburban taprooms.

Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and FBarber like this.
  25. JLK7299

JLK7299 Meyvn (1,112) Apr 21, 2016 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I rate every single beer I drink. You have to try them all at some point, how else are you going to organize yourself?

I only review if I believe it should be a top 250.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  26. threeviews

threeviews Zealot (567) Apr 18, 2011 Florida

Although I was hugely invested in reviewing beers in my nascent days when I became obsessed with craft beer, I am now very inconsistent with beer reviews. I really only do so when inspired...and inspiration ebbs and flows like the tide.

I don't know what currently triggers my desire to contribute a proper revie. However, if I am to post anything to Untappd, I will ALWAYS offer a few words about the beer...a pet peeve of mine is the 'ticking' without any descriptors as to their rating.

27. 98green

98green Meyvn (1,039) Jun 13, 2014 Michigan

I rate 95% of the beers I try. As many have also said, I mostly do it as an inventory to keep track of stuff I've had. On reviews, I go through ups and downs. I'm in a down phase right now. The reviews were also just to remind me what I liked or didn't like about the beer.

28. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,310) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I disagree with this sentiment. I only review when I'm REALLY inspired. And, because I review in a somewhat unconventional manner, I experienced the burnout you speak of years ago. Rating the beer helps me remember what I thought; if it helps another person that trusts me, then that's great. For example, random BA says: "I'd like to try this beer from Other Half. I wonder what that IPAHunter guy thought of it." I have used this approach when it comes to trusting guys who frequent the forums. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

That said, your point is your point, and it's well received by me. Cheers, my brother.

cavedave likes this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,893) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Your point is your point too. I don't bother with numbers because I don't use them when I look up beer, ever, and when I drink a beer it is with sensations, tastes, feelings, enjoyments that never even come close to making me feel like mathematics. When I see a low number for an IPA I always wonder if the person who gave it, if he would have written something, it would have been along the lines of "I hate this beer it has a lot of hops, and I hate hops." Or numbers given by folks who gave them randomly, as placeholders, without any thought whatsoever, which of course is indistinguishable from those who gave a thought.

That said, your point is your point, and it's well received by me. Cheers to you as well, my brother :grin:

Bitterbill and TheIPAHunter like this.
  30. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,310) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

For what it's worth, I do give consideration to ASTMO, even when I'm just assigning a score. I will be the first to admit that I've been lazy when it comes to reviews. I find the process laborious. I'm sure if I stuck to script, it would be much easier. Cheers.

dcotom and cavedave like this.
  31. dcotom

Society Trader

De gustibus non disputandum est.

PapaGoose03 and FBarber like this.
  32. dcotom

Society Trader

Yes, sir. Yes, I do, sir.
    I drink only bright orange hazy IPA's. If I ascertain that a hazy IPA is insufficiently bright orange, I pour a glass of pulpy orange juice for the photograph for aesthetic purposes.
    BA is my only social media vice.

:wink::wink::wink:

33. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,190) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I review maybe 3 to 5 a month. I like to do reviews mainly for myself. I have evolved into looking up the hops used and read about them, and write down notes for future reviews. I also read up on the style if it is not my usual beer to get it right.other than that, I just try to be honest about what I see smell taste.one other thing, if I know I would not enjoy a beer I won't buy it, and if given one would not review it.

34. SLeffler27

SLeffler27 Poo-Bah (2,142) Feb 24, 2008 New York
    Society Trader

There is a time and a place to review. For me that may be about 50% of the beer I enjoy. I choose not to review when I’m with others, unless reviewing is part of the social occasion.

35. MNAle

Society

Yeah, well, I'm an engineer... EVERYTHING makes be feel like mathematics! :grin:

36. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix Disciple (361) May 17, 2012 New York

I try to rate 100 % of all the beers I try and I’m about 98% there. Very helpful since I forget what I’ve had and haven’t had. Only reviewed a handful only since I think my knowledge and feedback is subpar to those espressed by others.

But I am big on adding places that dont exist on BA yet.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. DavidRandall

DavidRandall Disciple (313) Jul 13, 2013 Michigan

I found it. Thanks

38. beer_beer

beer_beer Aspirant (236) Feb 13, 2018 Finland

I have registered all beers I've had in my "gots", and because it's all NA I can easily return to them for reviewing later, they are only 69 at the moment and will struggle to go over 100. What I have done for BA? Beers Added / Pics Uploaded: 27 / 31. Have added all which were missing of the ones I've had. That'll will make rating and reviewing easier when I'm ready for it, don't know when it will happen, but it will!

#78 beer_beer, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
  39. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,449) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I carry a Moleskine notebook around in my pocket and if I am in a setting conducive to reviewing a new beer, a beer that sucked the last time I had it but maybe shouldn't have, beers I haven't had in a while, I take notes and a picture an then write a review later. Reviewing helps me understand the beer and appreciate it more. I sometimes go out and buy a bunch of beers of a style and review them together to better understand the style. I will also review a beer in different formats (tap, can, bomber, etc.) to see if that makes a difference.I generally do not review flights because I think you need a full glass to really appreciate a beer. I post summaries of my reviews here. I post ratings on UT of beer I have reviewed (but no reviews) because it strikes me as a popularity contest, whereas there are more people here who put thought into what they are doing. I look at Ratebeer once in a while but don't do much with it because I don't trust it.

LeRose likes this.
  40. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (115) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Same.