Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

How many of you have come full circle?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bigdonniebrasco, Sep 22, 2016.

1. cfh64

cfh64 Defender (602) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Supporter Beer Trader

Definitely have come full circle but still have small and very temporary desires to chase certain "beers of the week" every 4-5 months.

After having tried many of the latest, greatest, hyped up beers I just don't find they are normally worth the hassle of acquiring. I'll always have my permawants (ie NG fruit beers, Pliny, MBCP, etc) but I am more satisifed now then I've ever been with a consistent, dependable well made beer that is much easier to get. Lately, I've got back to my roots and have been enjoing a good german hefe or pilsner. Always available and reliable. It may be expensive but quality lambic is also always available at the touch of a finger tip :wink:

With the huge increase in craft breweries and distribution across the country I don't feel I need to trade for beers to try something new. More times than not there will be something local that will give me my fix. I also don't enjoy driving half way across the state, country, city whatever to chase beers and wait in lines so I can have a beer to use as trade bait. Been there, done that.

Don't get me wrong, I'll still throw up an occasional trade offer either for a permawant or for a beer that really catches my interest (ie FO). I also enjoy trying different IPA's but, again, I don't have a local brewery that cranks out trade bait and I'm not traveling several hours to JK (or wherever) so I have a beer to trade for a 6 pack of IPA's.

I can say I miss certain aspects of trading and meeting new people but overall I don't miss the money, lines, and TIME it takes to be able to try all of these new beers.

Side note: I also accumulated waaaaaay too many beers and determined that most taste better fresh than aged. I've been drain pouring once quality beers on a weekly basis, it's quite depressing :slight_frown:

redeemer, cavedave and awinkro like this.
  2. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (646) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I tend to buy beers over and over again till I get bored or the season changes. Still buy a mix 6 once a week or so and will buy a new sixer as well. Drinking a new to me Oskar Blues Black IPA I picked up for $9.99 today at TW. Pretty nice. I also grabbed 4 sixers of Stone go to for $9.99 a 16oz six pack w/ coupon. As it cools off I will move to heavier IPA , stout and other cooler weather beers. Most new beers do not make the rotation but its still fun and enjoyable to keep trying them.

I never chased whales and pass by toughies everytime I stop at WF. I just dont think 99% are worth the money. Rather have two six packs of good beer for the same price as a rare beer that lets me down. I cant seem to pass by the Allagash $14.99 small bottle releases. Too often I buy 2-3 of the same one. I have also been buying a growler of Forest and Main each week the last few weeks.

As many times as I say lower cost beers I cant seem to do it.

Enjoy

3. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (1,678) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Supporter

I get where you're coming from, OP. I started as pure ticking madness, but I'm at the point now where limited releases can still excite me, but I find myself reaching out for those ever - reliable ales that are easy to get.

Billet likes this.
  4. akolb

akolb Crusader (709) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I have an easy solution to the epidemic of "whale-hunting." Just be a broke college student like me and you'll only be able to afford 6-packs of local brews. Problem solved!

Scott17Taylor and fx20736 like this.
  5. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (291) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

Started with the likes of SA, Shiner Bock, Fat Tire. Then moved onto the local brewery only scene. Soon they started canning and bottling. Then I traveled and wanted everything. Then my local places won some awards and hype sort of built up. Trading began. Distribution from out of state breweries increased ten fold in just the past 3 years alone. Some trades felt like duds as the beers I got were no better than the local scene (not sure who caught up first). Finally I now tend to be happy with your seasonal six pack priced at $9.99 or below, plus a bomber or two, plus local brewery visits for draft pours. Whether its not having time to drink, or just drinking less these days, I would happy with a SA Boston Lager, Shiner Bock, or Fat Tire... So in some sense, I have come full circle.

I also realized, if you drink too much of the mediocre stuff, or too much of the great amazing world class stuff, your mind and body are placed in the same situation. It's how your wallet tends to deal with it that has lasting effects with me now-a-days. There is a tough sense of value going on in my head constantly. We have a local brewery that has a great bomber they release at $8.99/bomber. They also have a world class core lineup IPA priced at $10/4 pack 16 oz. cans. Often times, it's tough to process what I truly need or truly desire.

The question I ask myself, Is it greener on the other side? I was out in VT a month back for a wedding. I didn't get to try everything I wanted. But I got to try enough. Those are some great beers. Locally, Those are some great beers too. I guess there is a light bulb that goes off that says, "It's not so bad where you are." "The core lineup on the shelf everywhere beers aren't so bad". What helped me come full circle was having a couple blind tastings. I messed up pretty badly on those as far as trying to pick the 97+ BA rated beers. It humbles you a bit.

#45 Oktoberfiesta, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  6. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,046) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Recent trip to Vermont made me realize that despite sampling nearly 2000 beers over 6 years, I still don't have access to most of the top quality beersf in my area with any ease to purchase at the level of beers I can get in other areas of the country. Heck with all the hype about IPAs in Vermont, I've sampled numerous Pilsners better than most any I've had anywhere else (HF, Lost Nation, Von Trappe, Foam...all make better tasting pilsners than I can get back in MD even better than the Crisp, Pivo or Prima). Also in Vermont they get Crooked Stave out of Colorado for excellent sours which was a wonderful surprise on the store shelves and restaurant options, and also I got to buy a 750ml bottle of 2012 Lou Pepe at Hill Farmstead which has been completely unobtainable after a few years of hunting (any Cantillon). So long story short, trading and beercations are still mandatory if you want to enjoy the best tasting beers (at least where I live).

bigdonniebrasco likes this.
  7. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,421) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

No "full circle" for me. I'm going full steam ahead, ticking all the way.

8. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (348) Jun 11, 2009 California

This is my strategy too! It will happen eventually and all my patience will pay off. I've already had a few random ones on draft at restaurants. Pretty soon they'll be at Whole Foods for $12 a 4-pack.

tlema1 and bigdonniebrasco like this.
  9. ebin6

ebin6 Disciple (348) Jun 11, 2009 California

The interesting aspect of this thread for me is seeing everyone's interpretation of "full circle." It's cool to see how similar, yet distinct, our beer journeys have been.

Personally, I've been increasingly letting the beer come to me. I go to my go-to stores when I need beer instead of timing my trips with the beer truck. If something interesting is there, I'll grab one. If not, I'll grab a 4- or 6-pack of a beer I know I'll enjoy. I used to think of it as settling, but I've learned to appreciate the solid beers and the subjectivity of the whole thing (many of which used to be considered highly sought after beers).

Naturally, the urge to try new things is still there. That urge is increasingly filled by sticking with a few select breweries and their new releases. Also, as the natural selection, so to speak, of beers occurs, the average beer has only gotten better. Living in CA, there are tons of everyday beers I've never tried just sitting on the shelf.

drtth and Billet like this.
  10. bigdonniebrasco

bigdonniebrasco Aspirant (237) Jan 27, 2007 Kansas
    Beer Trader

You guys have all said it way better than I did.

I've not had a drop of booze in 6 mos!!! Training for a big game hunt! Swinging through Colorado on my way back in a month, and will be putting a stop to the dry spell.

11. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,391) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I like to do se do myself. New beer is a wonderful part of the whole experience but there is something basic about just drinking a beer you already love. A big part of the whales that I have had and the beer I went to seek out was the people who were excited about it.

VABA, bigdonniebrasco and bbtkd like this.
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,532) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I've been into craft a year now, so still just on my first lap. Right now, I have a cellar of favorites - mostly stouts - that I alternate with the new ones that look interesting. Probably drinking 75% favorites, 25% new. I don't chase whales much though I do make an effort to find BCBS, KBS, etc. Also don't drink much - maybe 4-6 beers a week. If I could buy cases of BCBS, KBS, and Prairie Pirate BOMB I probably would not drink much else, though the ABV and prices are ridiculous on these.

13. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (2,831) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Never hunted whales and probably never will. I like to try new beers when I can but sometimes I just have to go to my local distributor and pick up a case of Hop Hog or Hopback just because I want something poundable.

drtth and bigdonniebrasco like this.
  14. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Disciple (354) Jan 21, 2014 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Perhaps I have an opinion on the trade bait topic. I do enjoy trying to trade for rare out of market beers like the next person.. However I have done it so much that I am starting to realize I enjoy my limited brews a lot more than some of the ones I am now pulling via trades. Ppl on that other site telling me my snozzberry/maceo/bootsy does not have high value just bothers me now. I am saying my full circle is in the trade game. 9/10 the beer I receive from a trade is not as good, IMO, as the ones I trade away.

15. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,483) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Lol, me too, I've made 3 Vt beer runs and it Hoppy beer heaven. I drank so much I got the most massive case of palate fatigue in my life. I traded away 3-4 growlers of HF I bought back because the thought of drinking an IPA made me ill.

bigdonniebrasco and tlema1 like this.
  16. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (1,842) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I still try as much as I can but the biggest difference between now and 7, 8 years ago was that back then there was not the same opportunity to get phenomenal beer, by a longshot. The increase in the number of breweries has exponentially increased the amount of great beer nearby. Just yesterday I happened across The Answer and had two previously unreleased, unheralded beers that would have buried anything I had 8 years ago, and would have most people all but forget that BCBS existed after trying it, yet these beers won't become whales or lead to mob releases. Why? Because terrific beer is everywhere. Does that lessen the importance found in "experiencing" a notable beer or whale? Nope. Just means folks that don't want to get caught up in the trading / release / line waiting crowd won't miss out on terrific beer like they once would. More alternatives = always good.

cavedave and bigdonniebrasco like this.
  17. HeyLady

HeyLady Disciple (358) Sep 17, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

I think I just reached the tipping point. Over the past year I have been obsessed with upping "my number" and have tried about 70 new beers a month since last June. I was traveling to New England, Southern California, Florida just to try new beers. I was chasing Grimm around the city had to go to every can release in the city. I guess recently I realized that it is not worth it and has taken the fun out of beer for me. It was getting very stressful and just not good. Don't get me wrong I still love trying new beers but waiting in line for hours and running around from bottle shop to bottles shop to find that rare beer are done for me.

18. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (167) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Full circle? Not quite yet and that's OK with me.
    First beer back in the 60's, Old Style and I can't remember the last time I drank one of those but I do remember maybe 5-6 years ago I could walk into my liquor store on any chilly day and pick up some BCBS, Nightstalker, Big John etc. Hopslam would sit on the shelves till late Summer or beyond. If I wanted some 3 Floyds Alpha King, go buy it (this is becoming more common now) and nothing was kept behind the counter, not even Pappy Van Winkle.
    Like @Squire123 above I know, buy and drink what I like and surprises are just that, surprises.
    I do love trying and visiting the small brewery tap rooms around the country and relish their beers as some are or could be whales but never will be because they're not distributed and you can always get them in their tasting room.
    I will not chase any releases down anymore (more for you) but I will go out of my way or plan our stays near a small brewery/ tap room.
    To me I started with beer, never left or turned away and I'm still drinking it so I think the only circle I'll make is the krausen ring left on my carboy's

Squire123 and bigdonniebrasco like this.
  19. HopsCraftHouse

HopsCraftHouse Initiate (45) Mar 18, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

You make a few really good points. Whenever people talk about how "beer X" is the best thing ever, and it's nessary to drive 300 miles to trade another beer so they can get ahold of one bottle I ask why. I have had a lot of these beers and most of the time they are absolutely amazing but I don't think they are always the best thing ever.

I try to compare it to highly sought after college educations. Would people still considered colleges such as Harvard, Princeton, or Yale to be the best of the best if everyone was allowed in. Probably not. I believe that this is the same in the beer community. If everyone out there had access to Heady Topper, Pliny the Elder, or the full line of Prairie BOMB! these beers would just become another bottle/can on the shelf.

This isn't to say that they aren't great beers but it does make me think about how many amazing beers I can drink every day that don't seem as good because they are apart of the norm.

Cheers!

Squire123 and bigdonniebrasco like this.
  20. ECOBOOSTINST

ECOBOOSTINST Aspirant (224) Jul 7, 2016 Iowa
    Beer Trader

It has been a fun process for sure!!....I did not get really in to the scene until about a year ago, but have had a lot of luck with very generous individuals on BA that will offer up some of their selections just by seeing a post I may have put out there. That is what attracts me to this site. Still try to get some whales, but have found it easier to just work with others on BA and try new things from around the country

21. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,657) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I've come 'full circle.' I used to trade all the time, chase the new releases, etc. Now I just buy and drink what gets local distribution to me (which in the Philly area is a LOT). Of course, if I'm out of town I'll stop by some breweries to get new stuff but my trading days for this stuff are behind me.

22. michman

michman Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

absolutely have come full circle. years ago in fact. dont get me wrong i love trying new beers, i just dont get super excited to go out of my way for them. i am also revisiting classics and realizing how well they hold up against todays beers. sometimes their flawless simplicity and structure is something that either new brewers cant achieve or arent trying to, I dunno.

TongoRad and bigdonniebrasco like this.
  23. JayORear

JayORear Defender (609) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Short answer is yes. Over 3 years, I traded a lot, tried most of the big guns, went to festivals, stood in line 8 hours for PtY, went on beercations, attended bottle shares. The high point came this past March, when I spent the month in Vermont. I drank Heady or Focal every day, visited HF three times, and went to Prohibition Pig just as many times.

I wouldn't exactly say I burned out, but I definitely came to see that there's really no perfect beer (although I still think Heady comes close). I still trade occasionally for beers that I don't think have equals (yet) in CA, mostly Alchemist and Tired Hands. But between Beachwood, Highland Park, Noble, Modern Times, and other world-class locals, there's really no need to spend what I used to on shipping, which was a lot.

I also drink more lower ABV beers these days, which seems to be a common theme on this thread. I got tired of being more than lightly buzzed every night of the week, not to mention carrying about ten extra pounds. I'm digging flavorful APAs (like Pizza Port Graveyards) and lighter IPAs these days, saving DIPAs and other big beers for the weekend. I've also stopped beating myself up for not loving big adjunct stouts--I'll break one out for a dinner party nightcap, but I just don't regularly crave a 12%+ coffee/coconut/sugar bomb.

redeemer, jonb5, mxchap and 3 others like this.
  24. zid

zid Champion (849) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

This is a very nicely written statement.

25. Hwk-I-St8

Hwk-I-St8 Initiate (165) Jan 22, 2016 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I started drinking craft beer in the 80's, but the options were severely limited. I've been drinking craft or import almost exclusively since then, but didn't really actively pursue new beers until about 18 months ago. I went through a heavy ticker phase, lots of trading, etc., but the cost of true whales is just more than I want to spend. Through that time, some whales have sort of fallen into my lap via taps at festivals, shares etc., but that's as far as I'll go.

Now I put forth a moderate amount of effort to obtain beers with a lofty reputation (TG stouts, for example), but I won't pay premiums or trade trunkloads for a bottle. Usually I just try to get 'em at retail and if I fail, no big deal.

I got into ticking for awhile, but after about 9 months I got tired of "the chase". I found myself passing on beers I absolutely love to try something new that, as often as not, was a disappointment. It used to be that I never ordered a drink at a bar or bought beer at the store that I'd had before unless there was nothing new. Now it's more common that I order something I know I like unless there's something on the menu that rates very high.

The bottom line is that there are a ton of beers that I know and love. Generally, the whales are very good, but not enough better to justify high after market prices or whopping trades. Once there out of the store, I'll leave it to the rich folk to pay the premiums for those.

I can live with being at shares with little-no stories of the epic unobtainium beers I've had or have in my cellar. Frankly, I get tired of drinking with people like that anyway...

26. Crim122

Crim122 Aspirant (274) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Not sure if this counts. But when I started drinking beer I was primarily drinking Belgians and German beers. Then I jumped on IPA train and didnt get off for years. I eventually got bored of IPA and focused on more American craft beers, primarily stouts.

But the last few months I've found myself drinking more Belgian and German beers, actively seeking out beers I've never had from those parts of the globe.

27. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,225) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Full circle?

Naw, this is not my first hobby so I avoided most of those kinds of the traps in favor of concentrating on expanding my horizons and improving my abilities to taste the flavors in beers and decide more about why I enjoy or don't enjoy them. For example I care much more about what beers I've been able to have or not have from the Beers of Fame list than the 250 list (which I may look at once in a while, but typically ignore).

Also, with over 200,000 beers in the database on this site I've long ago reconciled myself to the fact that I'll never be able to drink/sample more than a small percentages of them whether they are whales or not.

Finally, every once in a while I remember what happened to Captain Ahab when he caught up with and came face-to-face with his biggest and baddest whale. :slight_smile: Also I remebered what a good friend of mine once said, "The danger with leaving yourself open to going into a circle is that that circle may eventually discover that circle is actually part of a spiral."

#67 drtth, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  28. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (8,971) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

"Come full circle"? Not at all, I've never strayed the course!

Like a few of the other old guys on here (not JackHorzempa, he's too young!), I was here when it began. I had Sierra Nevada brought back to me from Cali in the early days, but I was still working through the imports! And it took decades to do the imports, and I've never even really finished them! You can't because it's continually evolving...

I wanted to learn about every style of beer, and taste every beer in it - which is clearly not possible today as they're popping up too quickly for anyone keep up! Seriously, there are new regional styles brewing (no pun intended) right now that aren't really even on our radar yet, and I'm just talking about the United States, globally it'll be mind boggling quite soon! God rest his soul, but Michael Jackson was already reeling back in 1995!!!

So I've traded, back when there weren't 1,000 local beers available at your fingertips everyday, but I've never ticked (no point), nor collected (I don't really believe in cellaring beer although I've done it) and I even gave up reviewing for a while. And #1, I've never believed the hype. I haven't let it affect me, although I understand quite clearly how it can, but I've pushed against it... all I can do is review the beer that's in the glass in front of me. So, no Whalez. Or at least no extra points for the whalez I've happened upon.

I've always believed that there's always a place and time for any beer.

Great post, BTW.

29. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,300) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Subscriber

ALL IPA'd OUT!

I will try anything that ISN'T just another done to death IPA.

30. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (148) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Quantity? For some quality/taste is the goal. Sometimes it is both.

31. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (148) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Full circle? Drink fresh, drink local. Don't tick, don't trade, don't beer vacation. I do however enjoy what's around me when I travel in New England. And almost never wait in line. No need. Sam Adams lager is still enjoyable, as well as Harpoon IPA. Went Belgian for a while, now for that I have Allagash and Ommegang. Never a pumpkin guy, ever. In the Boston, MA area, we suffer from a richness of great breweries, everywhere. So many, so good. Night Shift, Wormtown, Jacks Abby, all great and see regular fridge rotation. I just go to the store on my way home. Other than Sierra Nevada, I buy almost nothing else out of New England( Ok Rodenbach) All those who travel, tick and trade? Your time and money. I would suggest that you avail yourself of all your local, fresh stuff first. You might be surprised by what you find.

32. FFreak

FFreak Defender (641) Nov 10, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

My circle is taking me back to an enjoyment of a broader assortment of craft and artisanal libations. I've gone back to consuming fine wine and spirits almost as often as beer.

33. rronin

rronin Initiate (188) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I have always found chasing the flavor of the month in the beer world exhausting. In addition, my palate is fried from a lifetime of eating spicy foods, so I can't detect the coriander in the beer or discern which variety of hops or malt went into the beer. So I've learned to keep it simple and go with the basics, you can never go wrong with that! As I grow older I find myself singing "September Song" to myself ("and the days dwindle down, to those precious few....") and I remind myself of Thoreau's words : "Simplify! Simplify! Simplify!"

drtth, bigdonniebrasco and zid like this.
  34. mstrcrwly

mstrcrwly Aspirant (207) Dec 21, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

All depends on the beer...and the brewery..will always try to get my hands on FW barrel aged stuff..KBS..the usual suspects..will trade for things i think might be interesting..but won't stand in line for4-5 hrs or make 10-12 hr drive back and forth for something that may or may not be the shit..or trade a king's ransom for some overvalued overhyped shit..so to speak..plenty of great options here in NYC..with 20-30 great breweries within 2 hr drive..

35. tjwarren

tjwarren Disciple (345) Dec 31, 2008 Ohio

Preach it. Best post ever.

36. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,070) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I'm 7 beer reviews away from 1,200 where I will once again quit. In the 1,193 beers I've tried, I have rarely been "blown away" so I think I've gotten the point. In other words, I'm guessing that if I review another 1,193 beers I'm guessing I won't find more than a few that wow me. To this day the best beer I've had is Pliny the Elder, and it's not even rated the highest for me. I have other beers rated higher that I get to enjoy all the time, Pliny was a one-off E-Bay purchase ($20 per bottle LOL). I only tick now just to keep running up the numbers. This will end soon. Cheers.

37. Tucquan

Tucquan Poo-Bah (2,377) Oct 11, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

I'll be 62 on Monday and have 1,740 reviews here as of today.

I travel the country, on business and for fun and have had plenty of whales. Most recently, Trillium.

Biggest change for me is seeking super-flavorful lower ABV beers.

I do like to beer-vacation and was at the Jersey Shore a couple weeks ago. I came back home with 2 cases of Carton Boat at 4.0% ABV, a 4-pack of Carton 077XX at 7.8% and a 4-pack of Kane Head High at 6.5%. The 077XX and the Head High had more flavor and aroma than the Boat, but the Boat got most of my money.

I no longer buy quantities of IPAs or Double IPAs. I buy a small amount so I can drink them at home fresh or just have them at the bar/brewery.

I have too many world-class dark, high-ABV beers in my cellar. I love the flavors but day-in-day-out, I mainly reach for the lower ABV brews. It's a good thing the Imperial Stouts can age nicely for years.

I am finding that my enjoyment in the moment is only about 10% more from having a killer DIPA or Imperial Stout compared to a beer like Carton Boat, Ballast Point Even Keel, Troegs Sunshine Pils, Pilsner Urquell, 21st Amendment Down to Earth, NoDa Par 4, Surly Bitter American, etc, etc.

In the last year, I've been to Portland, OR, San Francisco, CA, Asheville, NC and plenty more beer destinations. The Rare Barrel beers in Berkeley were superb. Ditto Russian River, Hair of the Dog and Wicked Weed brews; but when I get right down to it; I spend most of my money on lower ABV beers that are really well crafted, full of aroma, taste great; and don't cost a fortune.

Just as a home boy reference, this includes Columbia Kettle Works (Pennsylvania), which is a 5-mile walk from my house. I like to walk there for lunch on a Saturday, have their well-crafted Pilsner with a sandwich or popcorn, and maybe one other beer; and then walk back home. My idea of fun!

I've not come full circle; since I started with cheap adjunct beers back in the 1970s, but focusing on fresh, low ABV brews is a change I've been embracing more and more the last couple years.

#77 Tucquan, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  38. john0721

john0721 Zealot (560) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Subscriber

For me I've never fully understood the concept of only drinking new beers,

I think the entire point of trying new beers is to find beers and breweries that I want to revisit.

So, I've never felt the need to come full circle and return to where I started.

Instead, I just forge ahead, drinking roughly 30% new, with the rest being re-visitations of the ones I like best.

39. marquis

marquis Crusader (741) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

Beer owes its existence to the fact that it's a long drink.
    I also think that low ABV beers give more flavour overall , it just takes a lot longer

fx20736 likes this.
  40. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (289) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Never chased ticked , stood in line or traded for beer or anything else except for skynerd front stage seats, now that was worth it.

However, I have been fortunate to have travel and friend,family have treated me to many of the old classics in Europe and the USA .
    I enjoy beer, brew my own, help out at a craft brewery so I am involved as much as possible without being to crazy. Still will drink the silver bullet if that's the only brew at a pig roast and won't bitch.

It is rather silly on how many "new" classics are declared and judged now, and the judging business if flawed, but that would be another thread. but I never bothered with that stuff so again it it's funny and of course business.

Full circle, naw I never start around the track, an life is good.

TongoRad and TEKNISHE like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.