How Many Perfect 5s Have You Given?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ilovelampandbeer, Nov 8, 2014.

?

How Many Perfect 5s Have You Given?

1. 1-5

210 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. 6-10

75 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. 11-15

23 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. 16-20

11 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. 21+

18 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. 0

220 vote(s)
    39.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

So true. This one really blew me away. I wouldn't say 4.96 good but definitely an IPA worth it's somewhat high price for a bomber IPA.

2. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Mar 2, 2013 California

I have plenty of 5s on untappd, only because they do .5 increments.

Sculpin
    Ten FIDY
    Sucks
    Enjoy By
    Double Jack
    Flower Power
    Pliny
    Stone IRS
    Nelson Showers
    Gandhi Bot
    Sea Monster
    Vic @ Sea
    Heady Topper
    Alpine Bine & Vine
    Another One
    Alesmith 2009 BA Wee Heavy
    Ten FIDY BBA
    Firestone XVIII
    Parabola
    Sucaba

#242 MisSigsFan, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  3. cferg88

cferg88 Nov 6, 2014 Kentucky

You should only give one perfect 5 and that should be the best beer you ever had!

4. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota
    Society

873 reviews and one 5.0.

Pure Hoppiness by Alpine.

5. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Mar 2, 2013 California

You can have multiple best beers you've ever had, and they can also not be perfect.

TongoRad and JLaw55 like this.
  6. Brewndruid

Brewndruid Jul 9, 2013 North Carolina

I have been torn on whether to rate beers simply by BJCP or GABF guidlines , or on my like or dislike of that particular beer. AB makes drain cleaner in my opinion but, that said, there is no arguing the fact that they know how to brew towards "quality" and repeatability. On the other hand, I would never, ever, recommend any of it to anyone, same goes for SMC.
    If people follow me, and see thier tastes trending in a direction similar to my own, then I owe it to them to rate the beer as it appels to me. It could very well be a fantastic beer, but to me be a drain pour. I guess, the bottom line is, that ratings are just too subject to personal taste to treat them as objective indicators.
    Anything 1.5 or less is drain pour for me! 5, on the other hand is, to me, the Platonic idea of Beerness and leaves no room for improvement. There is always room for improvement

7. Dupage25

Dupage25 Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Most of my reviews I put on my blog as I'm not a huge fan of numerical scoring in beer reviews, but were I to publish here a review of every beer I've ever had I think I would give the following beers a 5/5:

*Goose Island King Henry
    *First bottle of Fantome I've had
    *J.W. Lees Harvest Ale 1999, aged 11 years
    *First bottle of Allagash Tripel Reserve I ever had (to date I have no idea why it was so much better and different than all the others)
    *Alvinne Cuvee D’erpigny

Runners-up include various bottles of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout, Three Floyds Zombie Dust, Weihenstephaner Vitus, and various aged bottles of both Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Kaizer blue and St. Bernardus ABT 12.

TongoRad likes this.
  8. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

I give quite a few as a believe in rating to the style of beer. If it was overall it would be much lower.

JLaw55 likes this.
  9. jstout26

jstout26 May 30, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Zero. Because nothing is perfect.

10. hophugger

hophugger Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I have given none. I guess I should. I feel that no beer is perfect but I have had many that I feel are pretty dam close. I guess its my taste and the feeling that "Have I had the ultimate beer?"

jstout26 likes this.
  11. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Mar 19, 2012 California

Alesmith Speedway Stout - Vietnamese

Is it really a 5? At the moment, it was... However, based upon that philosophy, Stone Double Bastard and Ballast Point Victory at Sea should fall into that category...along with a few others...

12. Brewndruid

Brewndruid Jul 9, 2013 North Carolina

So, here's a question; Fuller's 1845 is an outstanding example of the style, most love it, rave about it. Other than a touch of oxidization, it was flawless, but it didn't grab me like it did others. Now, I did have it a bit on the cold side so I took that into account. How do I rate this beer? Do I weight my rating based on the input of others? Do I go low but stay witin the Dev, and redress again after a bit?

13. JayQue

JayQue Jul 23, 2005 Virginia
    Society Trader

None and I haven't come close to it in recent years. 4.85 is my highest, I believe.

14. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Aug 25, 2013 New York

Your 10 highest rated are from 2009 and earlier...u have become quite the tough scorer in the new decade, young grasshopper

15. PlatonicOtterLuv

PlatonicOtterLuv Oct 23, 2014 Minnesota
    Deactivated

I have rated zero beers on this site (since I'm so green here), but do have almost 10 beer journals full of tasting notes. I only rate by half point increments, so have a number of '5s'. However, the one that comes to mind is completely against the grain:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1/104844/

I happened to be in Phoenix for a wedding last November when Vaclav Berka tapped a wooden cask of this at Papago. Simply an impeccable beer, and the best lager mine lips have ever kissed.

BodiesLexus likes this.
  16. Lukass

Lukass Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Society

There is that rare occasion when I drink a beer, and try so hard to find something that tastes off, and I just can't find it. That is when it's a 5 for me.

So, 14.

#256 Lukass, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    JLaw55 likes this.
  17. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Aug 15, 2012 Iowa

1 SB Tripel hook up the IV

18. SoCalBeerBabe

SoCalBeerBabe Sep 28, 2013 California

lmao @ whore

19. gopens44

gopens44 Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

None yet. Had plenty of terrific beers, but none that made me feel like there's nothing even marginally better out there.

20. dradair

dradair Jun 5, 2014 Missouri

I have given 5's to Backwood's Bastard, Pirate Bomb, and KBS

21. SteveB24

SteveB24 Aug 29, 2013 New York

just one
    [​IMG]

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  22. Redneckwine

Redneckwine Dec 3, 2013 Washington

None, and probably never will. For me, philosophically, there is no such thing as perfection, only the noble pursuit thereof.

newbeeraday likes this.
  23. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

I haven't given one, not to say I wouldn't. Giving a 5 doesn't mean it's perfect, it means I perceived it to be perfect to me.

JLaw55 likes this.
  24. FightinIrish88

FightinIrish88 Mar 2, 2014 New Jersey

I've given no fives, I fell that I haven't tried enough beers in different styles yet, to give any of the beers I have tried a five.

25. JayQue

JayQue Jul 23, 2005 Virginia
    Society Trader

This young grasshopper is 65 years old!!!!! : ) The more beers I try, the less likely I am to go overboard. Look at my old Yuengling score!!!! I like Yuengling well enough but I would never give it a score like that now.

26. CMundt4994

CMundt4994 Jul 1, 2014 New Jersey

6! Heady Topper (of course), La Fin du Monde, 120 Minute, Ten Fidy, Lagunita's Cappucino Stout and Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA (which I think is very underrated to be honest).

27. cshafer7

cshafer7 Jun 7, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Only 2 so far.

Julius and Psuedosue

28. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire

Personally I don’t believe there will ever be a “Perfect” beer; however that is my view and I will not criticize anyone else’s. Drink on ☺

29. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

In order for me to give a 5 on a review, the beer would have to be free all of the time. Case closed.

30. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

Harsh critics ITT. I don't hand out a ton of fives but I'm not super stingy either (I also do most of my rating on Untappd). I look at it like a a fluid system not a statement of perfection if I rate somethkng a 5. To me, a 5 means it is in the top tier of all beers for my personal taste.

JLaw55 likes this.
  31. twb0392

twb0392 Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

I've given 1 (ayinger celebrator), and I kind of feel bad about it; almost changed it to a 4.75 because I want to look forward to something better.

BodiesLexus likes this.
  32. racer2k

racer2k May 21, 2004 Massachusetts

There is only one 5 rating that I have given and it is Heady Topper

33. smanders

smanders Apr 22, 2006 Virginia

Although some ratings were made years ago, I'm fairly certain they haven't changed...

05-22-2009 La Fin Du Monde Unibroue Tripel 9.00 5 +15.7%
    03-28-2014 Stone Enjoy By IPA Stone Brewing Co. American Double / Imperial IPA 9.40 5 +12.9%
    08-22-2014 Wookey Jack Firestone Walker Brewing Co.American Black Ale 8.30 5 +17.6%
    05-18-2009 Duvel Brouwerij Duvel Moortgat NV Belgian Strong Pale Ale 8.50 5 +17.6%
    11-21-2013 Founders Breakfast Stout Founders Brewing Company American Double / Imperial Stout 8.30 5 +10.6%

34. MorgothBauglir

MorgothBauglir Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania

2, both Weihenstephaner.

35. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

the closest for me would be gulden draak and st. bernardus abt. 12 on tap but I don't give 5's because to me that would be a literally perfect beer which doesnt really exist, cuz if it did would you drink anything else

36. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Out of 632 reviews. Guess I'm still chasing that Holy Grail.

I do have 4 that I have rated a 4.9 or higher: Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock (4.98), Ithaca Brute (4.96), Westy 12 (4.9), 50/50 Eclipse EC 20 year (4.9). KRE, Brute, and 50/50 EC 20 all have gotten 5's for smell, taste and overall.

37. crowellbw

crowellbw Dec 1, 2010 Washington

None. I will be on my deathbed and upgrade a 4.75 to a 5 based on my life of drinking.

JLaw55 likes this.
  38. JLaw55

JLaw55 Jul 10, 2014 Missouri
    Society

This may be the most rational and epic beer rating system I have heard yet! "I have spoken, this is the best of them all, now good bye."

39. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

If I give something a 5 it will have to give me an instant erection followed by a desire to go high five everyone around me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.