How Many Times Can You Drink The Same Beer In One Day?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Aug 11, 2019.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,912) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

As I sit back on a lovely Southern California summer evening, I am curious about your beer sessions. Earlier today I had a delicious pour of Alpine Keene Idea at their tasting room, and then later tonight at home I had a growler pour of the same beer. And even though I was ready for another beer after that, even though I think it’s a world class IPA, I just didn’t have the stomach for another pour, so I had a ho-hum can of Bottle Logic Recursion instead.

So, BA’s, how many times can your drink the same beer in one day?

2. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,339) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I rarely purchase a sixer of the same beer. That’s why « variety » packs were created. When I do I’m being cheap since single bottles of anything « worthy » might be around or more than 2€.

So beside big parties when I obviously have to buy a 12 pack or a case of the same cheap AAL or Euro Lager, and considering I’m the only one drinking beer in my household; single bottles purchase have been my MO for some years now.

Ah, your question: depend on the beer really. I’d get tired of drinking the same beer (a mediocre one or even a very good one) after a couple. Then again, nothing is set in stone but my routine is 3-4 beers max a day and even that is a bit much. Cheers.

3. stevepat

stevepat Defender (693) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 liters assuming it's a pleasantly sessionable style, made well

lucius10, TrojanRB, JSullivan and 9 others like this.
  4. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (221) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

5. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (220) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

I tend to stick with one beer for an evening if I'm drinking. Usually 3 to 4 and have a couple left out of a six pack and then maybe a glass of something harder or maybe if I have a big beer that I'm looking forward to I'll crack that at the end. If I really like a beer I like having a few and just relaxing. I used to never have repeats, try a few different beers in a night, different style glass for each to compliment the style (yeah, I was that guy :grin:) but that was mainly when I was really getting into beef and exploring all that was around me. It was new and fun. I still like trying new things but it's less of a fixation than it used to be. I go back to favorites more, and I drink to relax and enjoy instead of purely to expand the palate, if that makes sense

Cheers

6. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,631) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Pretty much two individual containers of Schlenkerla Marzen or two of anything from Fat Head's. Otherwise, it's mostly one and done. Like @Shanex I buy mostly singles unless I'm looking for some "drinking beer" then I usually buy a six-pack or a case (Schlenkerla/Fat Head's). But then, my usual total consumption is two containers a day.

7. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,912) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

I love ticking the newest beers, but damn, it’s an expensive hobby when single cans go for $3.99-$5.99. Because of it, I’ve bought more 4/6 packs lately. But it’s not as fun :tired_face:

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,596) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Haha I have trouble drinking more than one of the same style, let alone same beer, nowadays.

The exception is Guinness Extra, and that I can drink as much as there is in the house.

9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,943) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I've found that reviewing every single new beer I have at home helps control some of that and that I actually learn more about a beer by doing that. It also has reduced my money wastage by buying that beer I didn't like a second time. Somehow memories are stronger for the ones I didn't like. (Plus that way I can often restrict myself to one new beer per night by not wanting carry over effects from the first new one to the second new one.:slight_smile:)

10. beersampler6

beersampler6 Meyvn (1,152) Apr 4, 2018 Michigan
    Society Trader

Since I discovered craft beer I've found there is just so much variety that I rarely will have the same beer twice within any given week. My exception is when I'll find a rare one (AKA not distributed here) like Heady Topper, and then I'll want to drink it fresh so I may have a couple within a few days.

But for the most part, I like to buy singles - a couple here and there that I've tried before and loved, otherwise new ones to try for the first time.

11. Amendm

Amendm Zealot (511) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

Until the 6-er or the 4-pack is gone.

I usually have three or more choices on hand. I mix things up or I session a single beer, I rarely buy singles.

#11 Amendm, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,558) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I mostly buy singles of new-to-me beers, though will buy packs of favorites to cellar. I never have two of the same beer in one day, and rarely in a week unless I'm trying to drink-off old packs in the cellar as I'm doing now. I keep about 12 different choices in the fridge. Most days I only have one beer, since most of them are over 9% ABV.

13. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (875) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

This week I have been mixing it up between 10 different beers from 7 different breweries, but usually I buy interesting, seasonal mix packs if I can and one 12 or 15 pack of solid something I know I will like if I cant find a decent mix pack. That 12 has been Jack's Cider lately. It is dry and reminds me of Prosecco a bit, which is a place my palate likes.

Shh... don't tell on me, it is a beer site.

JediMasterLenin, Premo88 and Shanex like this.
  14. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (221) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

The exception for me is Guninness on draft, one is never enough

15. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (983) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Went to my niece's b-day party yesterday. Brought a split 6pk of All Day IPA & Oddside Bean Flicker (coffee blonde ale) plus one Guinness extra stout. Drank all but one Bean Flicker. Can usually smash the lower abv sessionable beers back to back opposed to the heavy hitters. Came home later and treated my self to a nice 12% Komes IRS :beers:

16. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (491) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Growler pretty much. Once I crack it I drink it. I don't do the same with 4 packs... I'll probably do 2-3 max from a 4 pack in a day.

17. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,579) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

I usually mix it up but recently I spent an evening with only Surly Electric Sombrero of Death

Amendm, JediMasterLenin and Premo88 like this.
  18. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Devotee (452) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

Are you not all that into beef anymore?

It's okay. I'm still that guy who uses specific glassware for all the beers I drink. Which is at most, two of the same in a day. As for beef, a simple fork and steak knife will do the trick.

19. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,809) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

8-10 times depending on ABV (that's in "one day"; if you mean "one session", then 4-5)

I'm like many BAs in that I prefer to drift from one beer to the next without ever drinking the same beer twice. But some beers/beer styles get better and better when you spend a full session with them (thanks goes to @TongoRad for helping me learn that :wink:), so I plan on doing that more and more in the future.

meefmoff, cjgiant, TongoRad and 3 others like this.
  20. JediMasterLenin

JediMasterLenin Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2018 District of Columbia

Usually no more than 2 or 3 of the same beer, I like to mix it up. I generally tend to make my purchases piecemeal over the week, and like to keep a good variety in the fridge as long as I can.

Junior, Shanex, Premo88 and 1 other person like this.
  21. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (220) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Lol oh dear. I kinda that you can't edit posts after a certain point. Oh well:grin:

22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,235) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

One. On those rare occasions when I drink multiple beers in a day, they will all be different.

23. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (263) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I have beer ADD and it's hard for me to stick with one brand/style of beer in a sitting no matter how much I like it and because of this I like mixed six packs and variety packs. However, there are a few styles like Pilsners, Helles, etc. that are my anytime beers so nowadays I usually have a mix on hand and then a sixer+ of my anytime beer.

On a related note when I don't want to drink a lot of beer in a sitting I will usually have an IPA, as that is a style that is typically one, two at most for me and then I am done.

cavedave, Premo88 and JediMasterLenin like this.
  24. lastmango

lastmango Champion (800) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society

Gotta admit I like variety! I would say two or three depending on the beer and circumstances. If I am home, I usually have a variety. On the beach in a cooler, it might just be Landshark or Corona . . . iced down of course! Now, today, I am waiting for my son to arrive for dinner. I bought him a mix six of IPAs, Pale Ales, etc. I just finished two Paulaner Hefes, which I love dearly. I am tempted to drink one of those out of the sixer I bought for him. However, I will probably drink a Salvatore instead.

25. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (31,691) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

I have never drank the same beer twice in a row, ever. I love keeping a good mix of styles going on; but sometimes 5 IPAs in a row aren't uncommon. Especially since they seem to be the most common style for me and reviewing new beers every day.

Premo88, dcotom, RaulMondesi and 2 others like this.
  26. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (2,006) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If you put four OG bottles of Nelson in front of me right now, I would drink them all. Cheers.

cavedave, surfcaster, Premo88 and 5 others like this.
  27. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Disciple (379) Apr 13, 2013 Texas
    Society

I usually limit my intake to two beers per day. Once in a while I drink more, other times I have none. I already have a challenge with my weight, so more carbs is not a good idea. And I hate exercise. To each his own.

lucius10, mkh012, Junior and 3 others like this.
  28. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (3,318) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

For me, it all comes down to the mood and the style. I can pound a Bodhizafa sixer in a night and wish I had twelve. Same went for Amalgamator when it used to be available to me (well... 4 packs, but you know what I mean). When it comes to Oktoberfest, sign me up and I'll polish of 1/6 keg of Paulaner in a day or two. Same with a well made Pilsner such as Occidental, pFriem, or Heater Allen's on a warm summer day.

Long story short (too late), if a beer is well made and drinkable, this should be no problem at all. Hope you find yours. Cheers.

29. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (83) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

It depends on where I am at and what I am doing. If I am in a Brewery or Tap room every beer that I drink will be different. If I am in a restaurant I'll probably drink the same beer. If I'm sitting in my shop door with buddies we'll probably drink different beers. If I'm on the tractor all day at the Deer Camp or Duck Club I'll probably have a cooler full of Founders All day's or something similar. Sometimes I'll clean out the odd stuff in the fridge for a day on the tractor.

Like I said, it depends!

JediMasterLenin, Junior and Premo88 like this.
  30. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Aspirant (276) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

Twice (especially bombers)

JediMasterLenin likes this.
  31. Ffenski

Ffenski Disciple (398) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I will echo others and say variety! Not only different brands but different styles. This has changed over the years- I used to stick with one brand for the night. But tastes evolve and there are just so many options nowadays, especially local, I feel left out if I don't try them all.

32. laketang

laketang Meyvn (1,090) Mar 22, 2015 Illinois
    Society

Couple of months ago I drank a sixer of anti-hero in one evening,it was just talking to me you know, other than that I usually mix my beer selection.

Shanex, JediMasterLenin and dcotom like this.
  33. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (713) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had 4 sweetwater 420 in a row last night. It was really refreshing and going down easy. Ended with a high life.

Enjoy

34. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (3,522) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

One.

35. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,558) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

If you are Joe-6-pack then you probably drink 6, 12 or 24 of the same ol' BMC in one day

Shanex and JediMasterLenin like this.
  36. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (2,505) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

As many as it takes, really

37. mkh012

mkh012 Defender (673) May 7, 2015 Colorado

Can? Probably 4 pints of a beer like SN Pale Ale or Kane Sneakbox. But I usually won't have more than 2 pints of the same beer in one day.

38. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,358) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

Two Hearted all day long. ...

Junior and JediMasterLenin like this.
  39. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,084) Sep 24, 2007 Northern Mariana Islands
    Trader

See answers in "How many beers have you drank in one day?" thread.

TrojanRB likes this.
  40. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (114) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Gotta pay to play:joy::joy:

Premo88 likes this.