How much beer am i allowed to bring into Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by patmoore, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patmoore

patmoore Initiate (46) Sep 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I read somewhere that it's around 24 bottles other sources tell me 9 Liters. is that per person?

2. hoser

hoser Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2003 Canada (AB)

Yes

TheDoctor and patmoore like this.
  3. TheSevenDuffs

TheSevenDuffs Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2010 Canada (ON)

Which province are you crossing in to? Quebec, for example, is way more strict that Ontario.

I am not 100% sure how the rules apply to Americans, but for Canadians returning to Canada the duty-paid import limits are set Provincially. Ontario is 45L and Quebec is 9L for example. This is in addition to our 48 hour 8.52L exemption of duty free beer if we've been in the US for 48 hours. My guess would be that for an American citizen entering Canada, you would be allowed the 8.52L + 9L if entering in Quebec and 8.52L + 45L if entering in Ontario. But I don't know that for a fact.

patmoore likes this.
  4. patmoore

Trader

ill be visiting montreal in a car with about 4 people and 30 bottles.

5. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (2,548) Mar 7, 2013 Canada (QC)
    Society Trader

Here is the link, OP.

We don't need to re-hash this conversation again and discuss whose borders are how or who goes where for beer or any of that stuff.

Erik-P likes this.
  6. patmoore

Trader

my deepest apologies

7. TheSevenDuffs

I don't understand your post. You've provided a link that appears to be for Canadian residents only (which does not apply to the OP). You've also made reference to not "re-hashing" certain topics that aren't even mentioned in the link you provided.

This conversation has come up a few times recently in these forums, so perhaps you are telling the OP to search out those discussions?

#confused.

8. TheSevenDuffs

You are more than safe with that amount of beer, even if they are all 750 ml bottles. Safe travels.

9. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Wow, sorry guys. I really did not want/intend to sound mean:grimacing: it is just that it seems like we have discussed this a lot recently and that it is fairly easy to look up info on . I was seriously not trying to help not step on toes:slight_smile:

My understanding it that the only difference it that Canadians have the 48h thing. Therefore, a non-resident can bring "8.5l of beer/ale" across.

Found the good link: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/atl-lat-eng.html I know it says Canadians but they use the same charts for everyone. It's the same on the physical copies you get in the airport.

TheSevenDuffs likes this.
  10. hoser

You are okay, if they ask say it is for personal consumption because Canadian beer sucks and is too expensive :wink:

Your bigger issue is the amounts you bring home. :rolling_eyes:

11. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (345) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

main thing is just don't lie and be very specific if they ask you how much you have to come in. I got crap for being 300ml over in Quebec. 300ml! the $3 tax was rough...

12. papposilenus

papposilenus Poo-Bah (2,034) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society

U.S. residents crossing into Quebec, 8.5 liters per adult. Make it a point not to know the exact value in case you're asked - I have been once.

Crossing back into the U.S. is more fluid. Saying 'I don't know exactly how much I have or how much it cost' has always worked for me. Your results may vary.

TheDoctor likes this.
  13. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (4,907) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I followed the link and it says "bringing HOME to Canada". I would question whether as an American tourist this would be accurate since he will be either importing beer for his/their own consumption or as a gift for someone. Quite possibly it doesn't matter.

14. bdemarco

bdemarco Initiate (39) Aug 6, 2015 Canada (ON)

I think the problem with this topic is that it varies for Americans. There doesn't seem to be a straight answer because I believe if you're planning on bringing beer into Canada, you're probably going to be processed as a Canadian would. But on the other hand, you're also just visiting... So maybe you'll be charged the fee (roughly around 30% on the Canadian value) or maybe you won't, it depends on the border gaurd. Keep your receipts, and try to keep the amount of beer you're bringing in under 8.5L (24x355mL). You should be good.

15. patmoore

Trader

I'll only be doing trades, but its around 30 bottles for roughly the same. No receipts obviously.

Another question, if I am charged a customs fee, does anyone know how much that would be? Obviously it depends on how Mich I'm bringing but Maybe its a dollar for once kind if thing

16. bdemarco

Be careful, and like I said, depending on who you get, you could breeze through the border without charges, or they might make up costs on your imported beer, which you might pay a premium on. 33% is the going rate for Ontario residents (see here for more detail response: http://www.bartowel.com/the-bar-towel-guide-to-keg-importing/) but you're also crossing via QC, which as a Canadian, I would avoid doing as the QC border security are pretty unforgiving compared to say Ont guards.

Whats the worse that could happen? The Canadian border will seize your items until you can provide a cost for each beer, at that point you'll pay a 40-50% fee to have your items back, once they have proof of the cost of your beer. I say this from experience.

patmoore likes this.
  17. patmoore

Trader

And this is assuming I go over the allowed liters per person correct?

18. bdemarco

See that's the grey area, and good to talk about. I'm not an American, so I've never experienced the border like you might have. As a Canadian, I'm allowed to go into the US for 48 hrs and come back with 8.5L duty free back into Ontario. The laws in Ontario also allow me to bring in 45L legally, but will be charged tax on 36.5L of it, if I've been in the US for more than 48 hours.

You are just coming into Canada, so Ontario duty rules don't apply to you. I don't know what will happen but I know there are a lot of Americans on this sub forum that you could message and ask what happens when they came over with a case of beer. I would figure the border guards would be cool with it since you're not Canadian, but I really don't know.

TL;DR, canadian duty allowance doesn't apply to americans.

19. TheDoctor

Society Trader

Here is the physical customs slip from the last time I arrived in Canada which I have been using as a bookmark.
    [​IMG]
    Notice that (as with the seemingly confusing links I posted) the only difference is that Canadians are NOT allowed to claim any booze until 48h has elapsed. They are then able to bring the same limit that visitors to Canada are always allowed: 8.5l. The same table is used for everyone.

#19 TheDoctor, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  20. bdemarco

There we go! What if they're over that limit (which he is...)

21. patmoore

Trader

true. if its per person in the car i should be fine though

bdemarco likes this.
  22. hoser

When asked at the border, it is for personal consumption. Don't mention your trades, that is key.

TheDoctor, papposilenus and patmoore like this.
  23. patmoore

Trader

Oh thanks for the heads up

24. portwood

portwood Aspirant (209) Aug 20, 2015 Canada (ON)

yes, the stated limits are for each person of drinking age - which in Ontario is 19.

25. patmoore

Trader

had zero problems entering and exiting canada.

dabeerbuddha, hoser and Coronaeus like this.
  26. tjohn2401

tjohn2401 Initiate (0) May 26, 2010 Michigan

Can someone clarify what the penalty is if one brings back more 8.5L in Quebec or 45L in Ontario? Say I try and cross with a few cases from Vermont...will they confiscate the extra? Charge a hefty tax? Arrest me? Strip search?
    If it matters, I'd just be passing through CA from Vermont back to Michigan.

27. bdemarco

I wouldn't worry if you're passing through. See guy above.

28. patmoore

Trader

i had about two cases between two people, which is legal. There were no searches or anything like that

29. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers Disciple (345) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

If they wanted to, they could deny you entry, and confiscate everything. Highly unlikely though.

30. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy Initiate (34) Sep 5, 2014 Canada (NS)

I'd say that's only likely to happen if you lie about what you bring in. As long as you're honest you will only pay taxes/fees on what you are over. If you happen to bring in more than legally allowed beyond taxable limits, I'm sure they would let you surrender the beverages of your choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.