How much beer do you buy strictly from California?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by RaulMondesi, May 17, 2020.

1. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (216) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

Not sure if COVID has changed those plans or not? Doubt they would set up a satellite taproom in Sacramento/CA for a while now.....

I would put my % at 90% for CA. Some of the outside % would be Revision from NV. They still make BUSCH LIGHT in Missouri???

dcgunman likes this.
  2. dcgunman

dcgunman Champion (886) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Trader

Thx @atomicpunk5151. I knew I read somewhere about them coming to California. They didn’t mention where. Will they keep their brewery/taproom in Sparks?

3. atomicpunk5151

atomicpunk5151 Aspirant (216) Jul 25, 2010 California
    Trader

I have no idea or new info now about REV. Everything has changed. They have been pretty quiet, think they have been busy with the local Nevada State Government and changing rules/regulations over the past few weeks.

Local word last year was just a possible 2nd satellite taproom in Sac. Main Brewery/TR still in Sparks.

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  4. JBogan

JBogan Champion (841) Jul 15, 2007 California

Want a good Belgian influenced beer?: Russian River, Lost Abbey, maybe Monkish once in a while when they're not busy making IPAs, and ...uh...

... Are there any others here in California making really good Belgian influenced beers?

Being that I'm just not that interested in IPAs for the most part and it seems that about 90% of the beers that I see from breweries here shipping these days are IPAs, I'd be interested in an alternative. Thanks for any suggestions!

5. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (557) Jul 9, 2010 California

Beachwood Blendery. They actually did a scientific analysis of their lambic-inspired beers in comparison with the Belgians. They also won a honorary medal at a Belgian beer competition (along with actual medals at American competitions)

6. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Zealot (542) Mar 19, 2012 California

90-95%. I will buy Founder, Fremont, Deshutes. I used to buy some Colorado (Great Divide and Oskar Blues), but not anymore.

fegelFatso likes this.
  7. JBogan

Ahh yes, forgot about them and I've actually been there but it was a while ago. They do make some great Belgian inspired beer. Thanks for the reminder!

fegelFatso likes this.
  8. bret27

bret27 Crusader (743) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Did you dudes forget about a little brewery called sante adairius rustic ales? If you count saisons and wild ales as Belgian-influenced, then that’s pretty much world-class. Plus their ipa’s are pretty good.

9. JBogan

Thanks, forgot about them and have been there once as well, to the original location. Some top notch beers for sure.

bret27 likes this.
  10. bret27

Trader

I also buy 95%+ from California, but I do trade a lot too.

RaulMondesi and fegelFatso like this.
  11. pro100

pro100 Initiate (105) Oct 12, 2014 California

90% for me. I always grab a six pack of either Yeti from GDB or the oatmeal imperial stout from Fremont. Other than that its pretty much Cali beer for me.

RaulMondesi, Singlefinpin and OTB like this.
  12. OTB

OTB Devotee (484) Sep 2, 2011 California

We are spoiled !:sunglasses:

Cheers,

pro100, Singlefinpin and fegelFatso like this.
  13. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Zealot (595) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Usually only SN, oh wait, they're making that here in NC! LOL!
    Rarely do I buy California beer, oh don't get me wrong, I've loved my Sculpin in the past, various Stone products, but I almost always buy local wherever I happen to be in the world.
    When I lived in San Diego I bought California beers almost every day, most brewed right in the SD area.
    California has had and continues to have some of the best beers on the Planet.
    Cheers

pinballplayer likes this.
  14. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,940) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Today was one of the random day I went off path. Bought a KBS, and then a 6 pack of Founders Pilsner for $8.99! I wish we had a brewery out here doing something like that. Beachwood Hayabusa is great, but that’s the only one I can think of. I also like to get Prima Pils every now and then. Hey OC/LA, give us some Pils/Lagers! I think I was the only one that liked Grandpa Tractor from Barely Forge.

15. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (557) Jul 9, 2010 California

Do you have time to talk about our Lord and Savior, Timbo?

16. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (471) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

Both Modern Times and HPB have been putting out pilsners pretty often now. Hard to top Timbo, but you can easily just drink MT/HPB Pils.

annakarina and 310gts like this.
  17. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (2,940) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I haven’t seen any Modern Times Pils at my local places. And I’m in OC, so we rarely see Highland Park cans.

18. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,974) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Not living in or near CA, my numbers, according to BA based on reviews, are CA in second place with 11.39% (272 total) vs PA at 12.89% (358 total). TX comes in third at 8.58% (205 total). If I lived a LOT further west, I'm sure the % would change, with Modern Times, The Bruery, and Bottle Logic making up about 99% of my addiction.

19. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Devotee (471) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Trader

TBF your original post said OC/LA. If just OC, then you can order pickup at MT Anaheim.

RaulMondesi likes this.
  20. hikanteki

hikanteki Initiate (89) Oct 11, 2013 California
    Trader

Usually about 90%, just because I live here and I buy what's around if it looks good. (Same philosophy as when I go on vacation...I try the local stuff because that's what's around.) Recently it has been more like 95% because of all the breweries shipping. Recent beer purchases I can think of that weren't from CA were Untitled Art and Stickmen which I picked up at the nearby corner store.

21. AlmostDeadly777

AlmostDeadly777 Initiate (47) Apr 29, 2018 California
    Trader

I think its 95%+ for me. 90% of those purchases are from just 3 places: Bottle Logic, Bruery, and Modern Times.

The last 10% are usually liqour store purchases I make on a whim while hunting for Bottle Logic distro, partly because that's pretty much the only "normal" thing that there is left to do right now (for me, at least). Even then I find that they're typically all from CA unless I happen upon Heady Topper/Focal Banger or something fun like that.

22. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Savant (942) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I was probably buying 90-95% from CA pre-COVID and now it's probably 99.9% from CA. I'll snag a nice Fremont stout when I see them out and about, but I'm rarely out and about anymore.

I get some east coast stuff via IP trades but honestly the beer I'm giving up is far superior than what I'm getting back most times. Still, gotta tickle my ticker bone every now and then, you know? I'm not "buying" those, though, so I don't count them in my %age.

You would never hear me complain if our world turned into some bizzaro one where you could only have beers made within 3hrs of your home. I'm practically there already anyway.

23. bret27

Trader

99.9%? Damn, you’ve been buying over a thousand beers once quarantine? I applaud your work my man!

24. SoCalBeerIdiot

Society Trader

DAMN, YOU'RE RIGHT!!!

How silly of me! My math was off.

Got my spreadsheets and calculator out.

Turns out, it's actually 99.8%. :rolling_eyes:

25. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,309) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Well now we just have to know, what's the single non California beer you bought?

26. SoCalBeerIdiot

Society Trader

I think it was literally a Fremont BA stout that I grabbed *right* before lockdown.

Other than a mixed case of Cellarmaker and another mixe case of SARA hops I got, my last probably 100+ beers have been either MT, HPB, BL, or Monkish. I am *not* complaining about this, lol.

27. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

You all do have it good down in socal, beer wise anyway

28. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (134) Jan 11, 2010 California

Now that I'm loving a local pilsner, I'm 90% San Diego, and 10% Cellarmaker. There's beer outside of the Nation State of California!? Seems risky.

29. gregoryG

gregoryG Aspirant (200) Sep 8, 2009 California
    Trader

Which pils?

30. Cold1s4me

Cold1s4me Initiate (11) May 9, 2020

85% SoCal beer, 10%NorCal, 5% non-Cali beer. I’ve tried them all, Cali beer is as good as it gets.

bret27 and thuey like this.
  31. Sebowski

Sebowski Initiate (134) Jan 11, 2010 California

Amplified - Punkdemic Pilsner

gregoryG likes this.
  32. DJturnstile

DJturnstile Initiate (71) Sep 2, 2015 California
    Trader

I mean, I buy almost only California beers because that's basically all we can get here as far as good independent craft beer.

My local bottle shops will occasionally get some Grimm, Allagash or some hoof hearted or the rare Portland drop but our out of state choices are scarce so I'm forced to try various different sub par brew pubs every time I want something new.

I always wished that the Bay Area did more tap takeovers at bars/breweries and out-of-state collabs like I used to see back east just so people here could get a better taste of what's out there.

33. thuey

thuey Disciple (312) Nov 13, 2015 California

They mostly do that during SFBW.

But for me personally, the more I try outside-of-CA stuff, the more I realize they don't match my palate. I'm so meh about almost all those hype breweries.

34. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I find this to be generally true as well, at least with hoppy beers. The upper Midwest (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Chicago land) seems to be the most similar but the east coast stuff is almost always too sweet for me