How much calories in various beer styles?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Superflyjsc, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Superflyjsc

Superflyjsc Aspirant (206) Dec 6, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Unfortunately it has come to this. I can still drink beer in moderation but I need to be a bit more aware of my calorie intake. Anyone know what the average amount of calories in IPAS, double ipas, stouts, barrel age stouts, etc? Any good online resource to look all that up?

Jaycase, ChicagoJ and eppCOS like this.
  2. traction

traction Zealot (561) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Society Trader

Most breweries don't list their nutritional information. Sierra Nevada is an exception provides their nutritional information for all their beers; as an example a 16oz can of BA Narwhal contains 370 calories, 30g carbs, and 4.5g protein. You can check the nutrition facts for any of their beers on their website to get a general idea of the calories in a particular style.

Some of the fruited sours, big NEIPAs, and pastry stouts going around now are so obnoxiously sweet I have often wondered how many calories were in them. If craft breweries were required to list calories on their can I think these styles would become a bit less popular. Ignorance is bliss calorie wise...

Jaycase, VABA, Oh_Dark_Star and 4 others like this.
  3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (2,097) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

The higher the ABV expect more calories. Each brewery is different so no real way to give exact numbers. I would stay away from most of what you listed since they all are higher in calories. If I was cutting calories I would roll with light beers, and session IPA. I believe Dogfish has a low cal beer/beers.
    Cheers

Jaycase, PapaGoose03 and dcotom like this.
  4. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I wish I had even thought about this 10 years ago when I started seriously getting into beer. A bit of advice to you younger BAs out there while your metabolism is still in your favor: enjoy your beer in moderation and stay active. Those calories can turn into pounds pretty quickly if you’re not careful. Cheers!

5. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,829) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

You can estimate it with this formula:

Calories = ABV*2.5*quantity (approx)

ABV is expressed as a number like 5.2 and not as a decimal like .052 and quantity is in US fluid ounces.

This is a very rough estimate, since it only uses the ABV and ignores differences among styles in carbs, etc.

#5 MNAle, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  6. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,781) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

And that gives you your calorie count? So a 12oz can of 6% beer would be 180 calories? And my 750mL bottle of Deal With The Devil is 1,097 calories? Ugh

StoutElk_92 and MNAle like this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

8. MNAle

Society

Yeah, I shoulda given it as an equation and not a formula. Fixed.

eppCOS likes this.
  9. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Aspirant (241) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Oh boy- There is a very good reason most craft brewers don't list calories.... I imagine a double NEIPA like Tree House's Haze (8.2 percent) has about 375 calories in the 16 oz can. I doubt it has less, but fear it has more. The barrel aged stouts that have a bunch of sweet junk like chocolate in them? Yikes, they could push 800 calories easily.

traction likes this.
  10. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,377) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Sometimes I don't want to know. But often, like you @Superflyjsc , I track my calories roughly on something like: http://simplybeer.com/how-many-calories-are-in-my-beer/
    *12 oz portions used, so just upward 30% for a pint - not perfect but also not too conservative to under-estimate calories.

Useful, then I figure out in any given day what I've earned if I exercised (or not). Boom.
    Works for me.

#10 eppCOS, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    stoumi, VABA, ColdOne and 1 other person like this.
  11. bsp77

bsp77 Poo-Bah (2,318) Apr 27, 2008 Minnesota
    Society

Any chance you can just cut down on food and exercise more? Lol. Mostly kidding, but not entirely

12. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (474) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

A quick rule of thumb is to assume 150 calorie, per 12oz, per 5% ABV.

Of course, it varies based on a few factors. But it's a quick and dirty estimate that is close enough.

12oz of a 15% stout? Assume 450 calories.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  13. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

14. dbl_delta

dbl_delta Poo-Bah (2,554) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society

One mile of walking burns up about 100 calories. If you burn 3500 extra calories (and don't replace them with beer or food), you'll lose one pound. Discouraging, isn't it?
    When I started working from home, I thought it would be a good opportunity to drop some pounds. Armed with the above information, I quit eating anything between meals, started walking 8-10 miles per day, and limited myself to 2 beers a night (OK, maybe 3 on occasion). I've lost 18 pounds since mid-March.
    Of course, I have a canine personal trainer that would walk me 30 miles a day if I'd let her. Plus walking is really time-consuming. Plus my wife thinks I'm nuts.

15. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,128) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

I keep this image on my desktop but I try not to look at it...

[​IMG]

16. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Poo-Bah (1,693) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

When I got my food at work for a time, it was common that other mechanics on their way would eye the plates coming out of the cafeteria to see what was for lunch. A coworker sees my plate and say’s “okay broccoli and what is that, a pork chop?” I reply that it was a sweet potato and got a funny look. Then I told him it was meat or beer everyone in earshot was laughing out loud!

ChicagoJ and VABA like this.
  17. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (3,688) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

That is really clean and clear. Do you remember where the table came from?

eppCOS likes this.
  18. JakerLou

JakerLou Meyvn (1,128) Jan 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Society

VABA and sulldaddy like this.
  19. MNAle

Society

It appears to be the formula I posted earlier as a table.

JakerLou likes this.
  20. beerwego

beerwego Initiate (83) Dec 5, 2019 New York

IPA - 250
    DIPA - 350
    BAS - 350+

Beer makes you fat. Nobody can tell you otherwise.

I feel ya pain. I went through this myself. I’m fit as a fiddle now but I don’t drink much beer these days. A few a week. I’ve become a gin junkie in the meanwhile

AZBeerDude72 and laketang like this.
  21. lastmango

lastmango Defender (691) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Oh no! I do not want to think about this! :wink:

22. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

23. cd_beer_disapear

cd_beer_disapear Devotee (488) Dec 2, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Michelob Ultra has only 8 calories per bottle. If you're concerned about calories, THIS is the beer for you!

24. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Mich Ultra.
    ALCOHOL
    4.2 %

by volume

CALORIES

(per 12 fl. oz.)

CARBS
    2.6 g

(per 12 fl. oz.)

FAT
    0.0 g

(per 12 fl. oz.)

https://www.michelobultra.com/our-beers/ultra-light-beer.html

eppCOS and cd_beer_disapear like this.
  25. cd_beer_disapear

Trader

CALORIES

(per 12 fl. oz.)

Well, DAMN! I sure got that wrong! I can't remember where I got that number... and it was tonight. OK, take away ... uh, something, dammit uh, ok, nevermind.

AZBeerDude72 and MJS08 like this.
  26. cd_beer_disapear

Trader

Oh, I forgot to say, this actually makes my point stronger. There is not much difference in calories between Michelob Ultra and Founder's Centennial. The Centennial tastes like beer the Michelob Ultra tastes like shit.

27. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (299) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

This is a topic that is very near and dear to my heart and I have experimented a ton and here are my pointers from my experience:
    • You cannot exercise your way out of a bad diet. I was extremely active and watched what I ate and still ended up packing on the pounds from drinking too much.
    • Beer is nothing but empty calories and carbs and you have to plan accordingly and account for it. For example if you are having two beers, you'll need to subtract calories from somewhere else. If I know that I am going to a party and will be having a few, I won't drink the day before or after.
    • Don't regularly drink with meals. The body goes after alcohol first so in turn food [fat] will just sit there. I don't have unequivocal proof of this but from my experimenting it did seem to make a difference (and if nothing else it cuts down on the bloating).
    • IPAs/DIPAs, Stouts are a big source of calories and carbs and when you look at the stats in a lot of cases higher than other styles. The higher the ABV and the darker the beer the worse it is, generally speaking.
    • Be active. Start doing the one for one trade offs and comparisons in your head meaning okay if I drink this beer, that's an hour of walking and/or would I sit here and eat ten cookies or drink five sodas in a row? In a sense that is what you are doing with beers and because it's liquid the mind does not think of it the same way so when I compared and created a better visual in my mind it helped a lot.
    Drinking lower ABV beers and revisiting old favorites has helped a lot and in many cases one Pilsner ended up being just as satisfying as two IPAs, over time you'll be surprised at how little you crave and need.

surfcaster and CB_Michigan like this.
  28. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Initiate (140) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois

This is so true. A few years ago I stopped drinking cold turkey for 5 months. I dropped 37 lbs without changing my diet or the amount of time I spent exercising. Two things wound up happening without any conscious effort:
    1. I stopped snacking almost entirely. I didn't realize how often I would grab chips and pretzels while having a beer or baguettes and cheese with a glass of wine. It was kind of a mindless habit.
    2. I'd been running at a 9:15 mile pace for years, but after the first alcohol-free month, I started whittling that down. I felt like I had more energy and that my body was recovering faster and more easily. I was spending the same amount of time running but covering more distance.

This is also a great point. Prior to this COVID-19 shutdown, I was doing 20-30 minutes on my spin bike. Now that I'm not commuting to work, I have more time to exercise, but I also wound up drinking more. As a result, I switched from heavier beers (DIPAs, BA stouts, doppelbocks, quads, etc.) to Pilsner, Helles Lager, Koslch, low-ABV Hefeweizen, and flavorful low-cal beers (e.g. Anderson Valley Gose, New Holland Lightpoint, etc.) in order to maintain my weight.

29. cd_beer_disapear

Trader

I would like to say that I have substituted beer for supper. I eat a granola bar for breakfast have a healthy lunch (I quit fast food) and I have 5 beers for supper. I have lost over 30 lbs in 4 months. Beer gets the blame but I believe in beer. There are monks who could fast for weeks because they drank beer while not eating.

DISCLAIMER! I am NOT a doctor and am not suggesting that anything that worked for me will work for you. Just sharing my experience.

30. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (566) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Right on!! I have really enjoyed well made lagers during efforts at weight reduction. It didn't hurt that the haze bombs were losing their appeal.
    • Caloric restriction and non-fad approaches first
    • Exercise accentuates the efforts of diet
    • Beer is not your friend with weight loss. Rewarding exercise with lighter beer options--For me the summer OMB Helles and Vienna Lagers, PU for example and the DFH "light IPA" work just fine.
    • Have dropped 18 lbs slow and steady with simple diet changes in 2.5 mos and increased activity with running 14-18 mi/week. Feel best in 20+ yrs and still enjoy beer --mainly on weekends.

ESHBG likes this.
  31. AWA

AWA Disciple (317) Jul 22, 2014 California

Damn I hate this thread. it's depressing. Guess I'm just going to give up eating.