How much dry hops in a milkshake IPA?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mattbk, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattbk

mattbk Devotee (440) Dec 12, 2011 New York

Recently made a milkshake IPA that had 3 oz of dry hops (2 oz Galaxy, 1 oz Cashmere). The beer tasted very good after the fruit was added (pineapple and coconut puree) but after the dry hops were added the beer became very bitter, harsh, and grassy. This is a relatively low concentration of dry hops for a NEIPA (which often have 6-8 oz dry hops / 5 gallons). Wondering what others are doing for their milkshake IPAs, are dry hops maybe not appropriate at all for the style? I can provide recipe details if folks think it may be relevant. Thanks.

2. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (419) May 2, 2006 Utah

Maybe you just need to give it some time? Just a thought. Cheers.

3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (399) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Yeah, 3 oz should not be too much. As mentioned, maybe give it some more time. I’ve made one milkshake IPA and I think I used 4 oz, and that beer turned out well. I believe you typically dry hop with less than a normal NEIPA, but I feel you still must dry hop them.

4. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Initiate (152) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My first and only milkshake IPA used 8 oz of dry hops. The first charge was 4 oz at 36 hrs into fermentation and the second charge was another 4 oz after 4 days. I transferred to a keg at day 9 and it tasted a little green then, but after 2 weeks in the keg it wasn’t noticeable, just hoppy goodness.

chavinparty likes this.
  5. mattbk

mattbk Devotee (440) Dec 12, 2011 New York

Good to know, thanks for the advice. The beer does get better over time, just never had an IPA we had to have sit for this long before to settle the dry hops. We did not dry hop during fermentation, perhaps this would have made a difference.

6. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Meyvn (1,319) Mar 31, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I think the grassy new hop flavor just clashes more with fruit than in traditional IPA's. I hop my milkshakes about the same and they all seem overly harsh before settling down after 2-3 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.