How often do you drink shelf beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tylerstravis, Jan 13, 2015.

?

How often do you drink shelf beer?

1. 80%-100% of the time

138 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. 60%-80% of the time

30 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. 40%-60% of the time

26 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. 20%-40% of the time

17 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. 1%-20% of the time

9 vote(s)
    4.0%
  6. Something about whalez and broz and putting people down.

7 vote(s)
    3.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,236) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

When I drink too much, I sometimes sleep on a shelf.

jco3, Akerstache, riverlen and 5 others like this.
  2. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

To me shelf beer is any beer that hits beer store shelves (even if only for a second or even if those shelves are behind the counter) period. So Cantillon Fou' Foune is a shelf beer while Cantillon Don Quijote is not.

I answered 80%-100%

bushycook likes this.
  3. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,067) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

Can you head out and pick up a six pack this week? If so, sure!

Johntomk likes this.
  4. Johntomk

Johntomk Initiate (199) Jul 22, 2014 Tennessee

If you live in the area, then it is available most weeks and can be purchased in large quantities (i.e. No limits/case volume). It's definitely not like a lot of other beers, so I guess I will go with shelf beer around here!

DeadWalkerAir and tylerstravis like this.
  5. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,181) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I love trying new things and sharing hard to find beers with friends. That said, the longer I drink craft, the more I appreciate easily accessible quality shelf beers.

tylerstravis likes this.
  6. Jwale73

Jwale73 Poo-Bah (5,181) Aug 15, 2007 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Pix or it didn't happen :slight_smile:

Beersnake1 likes this.
  7. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,999) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Barring the occasional draught-only growler, it's all shelfies for me. Fwiw, I'm close enough to NYC that BCBS is essentially shelf beer here.

FaradayUncaged likes this.
  8. zxtwou2

zxtwou2 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Illinois

about 90% stuff i get at the store (off the shelf, held in the back, on a waiting list for, etc) and 10% on-site consumption only small batch stuff from Perennial, Side Project, etc.

9. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (4,236) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Next time :stuck_out_tongue:

10. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

There is some excellent beer on shelves.

11. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I voted 80-100 %, but I'm still a bit hazy on the definition of shelf beer, and I also don't know how to calculate the percentage...is that 80-100 of a week, month, year, etc. So saying 80-100, that means for every 80-100 shelf beers (whatever that means) I have, I'll have one non-shelf beer (special release, or something that I can't get in my area)...am I mind fucking this enough????

12. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

The only non-shelf beer that I buy comes home from breweries with me in growler form, but the beer in many of those growlers can also be purchased on shelves (although some of it on relatively few shelves). I said 80-100%. Now that gas is cheaper that number may drop from close to 100 to closer to 95.

13. Buschyfor3

Buschyfor3 Devotee (488) Jan 4, 2009 Kentucky

I only purchase beers that are stacked in the display stands in the middle of the aisles. So no shelves for me. :sunglasses:

14. snarygare

snarygare Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 Kansas

Where can someone get some backcountry breakfast stout? I might be headed to colorado in the spring / summer

tylerstravis likes this.
  15. adamsns6696

adamsns6696 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2013 Maine

My definition of a shelf beer and im pretty sure the true definition is anything you can walk into a store and buy off the shelf. pretty simple really. so this excludes brewery only releases and only on tap. there are many whales that you can get off the shelf though. but they will not last very long. that's my question is if a whale sits on a shelf for 30 mins is it a shelf beer? like anything from firestone that comes in a box. it all hits store shelves but only lasts hours if that. and then again a shelf beer for me will never see a shelf in whatever other state. so I guess it all depends on where you are. but all in all to the OP just because it is a shelf beer does not mean you will save a lot of money. there are a lot of shelf beers that cost a fortune as well.

tylerstravis likes this.
  16. FaradayUncaged

FaradayUncaged Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Michigan

My definition seems to be in line with most within this thread, and based on that I would estimate at least 80% is 'shelf' brews drank at home. I do purchase quite a few 'limited' releases (not necessarily whales, but certainly not on a shelf without a limit) and of course pick up the occasional growler or draft-only release.

tylerstravis likes this.
  17. tylerstravis

tylerstravis Meyvn (1,067) Feb 14, 2014 Colorado

So... They are having supply problems, so it's hit and miss. It's not really limited, but not very many places are carrying it right now. I picked up four 4-packs for $5.99 at Grapevine and another 4-pack at Mondo Vino a couple of months ago. I know Mile High just got it last week.

It's amazing fresh, but doesn't age as well as I had hoped (still good). Hit me up if you're in the area and I'll toss you a couple if you can't find them :slight_smile:

18. horsehockey

horsehockey Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Illinois

Maybe I'm confused about what a whale is. I would think from my list Abraxas would have to be a whale. It's a limited seasonal release, and almost no distribution. What makes a beer a Whale? Is it price? availability? Reputation? Abraxas isn't expensive $20 per bottle, but it's not easy to get. Is Heady Topper a whale? It's the number one rated beer, but it doesn't seem to be tough to get via trade.

If Heady and Abraxas aren't whales I don't drink any whales.

19. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (10,028) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

So true! (Or $19-24 depending on what it is!) Not a 4-pk, but sticker shock yesterday when I shelled out $19 for a sixer of On the Wings of Armageddon. :grimacing:

DeadWalkerAir and AdmiralOzone like this.
  20. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Shelf year-round 12 oz: 30%
    Shelf seasonal 12oz / bombers / special releases / imports: 69-70%
    Whales: <1%
    White Whales: 0%

StartedwithSAM and Stagga_Lee like this.
  21. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Poo-Bah (2,033) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

All I drink is shelf beer, mostly by the case. It is not a bad time to be a shelf beer drinker with what is available, most styles of beer can be had from the shelf and seasonal shelf beers are my favorite; guaranteed fresh and sometimes world class.

Stagga_Lee likes this.
  22. AdmiralOzone

AdmiralOzone Poo-Bah (2,382) Jun 26, 2014 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Yeah, I realized after I posted, that even that was a low figure. :slight_frown:

23. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

24. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (508) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Almost never, but I also don't drink very often. If I drank more, I'd drink a lot more shelf beer.

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  25. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

But do you buy fridge beer?

26. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Shelving is an enormous boon to civilization...if not for it's level simplicity I might never have an intact bottle...

MostlyNorwegian likes this.
  27. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

lol @ "Something about whalez and broz and putting people down."

80%-100%. I'm not Capt. Ahab, I live on a "shelf beer" budget. As stated previously, even "shelf beer" has started to become slightly pricey.

DeadWalkerAir likes this.
  28. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I feel bad for the bartender who has to pour your pint and put it on a shelf before you'll drink it.

BBThunderbolt, Gemini6 and Treyliff like this.
  29. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Almost always. There was a time when I enjoying hunting special releases, either waiting for them to just hit a store or heading to a brewery, but, frankly, I don't care enough anymore. There's so much good beer being made right now, and I don't want not being able to get something rare to be an actual problem that I have.

30. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

lol

31Sam13 likes this.
  31. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (2,720) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

TIL a lot of people think seasonals are whales

32. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (82) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

All day, erryday, I'm not in whale phase... yet.

33. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (273) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

All I drink is shelf beer.
    The bottom shelf is usually 12 packs.
    The top shelf is mostly singles, or 4 & 6 packs.
    And when I am feeling adventurous, I take from the middle shelf, which is always the wife's beer.
    I probably drink what most would consider inexpensive beer about 80% of the time.

34. JoelAK

JoelAK Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2014 New York

It sure is, in some places!

DeadWalkerAir likes this.
  35. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (223) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

I've never heard the term shelf beer before. I must really be out of it, lol.

36. Akerstache

Akerstache Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2015 Germany

If we don't count the regional differences (like Ayinger being harder to get in the U.S.), I guess all of it. Haven't had any "whales" so far and I'm not sure I care to (at least for most of them given their prices).

37. DeadWalkerAir

DeadWalkerAir Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 South Carolina

It's certainly a whale on the wallet. 14 bucks for a four pack in NoVA

38. G_Z_a

G_Z_a Initiate (149) Feb 2, 2015 Oregon

Seeing as there's a good bottle shop around almost every corner and even the grocery and convenience stores have a solid selection, shelf beer covers quite a lot in Portland. I do have a decent selection of bottles and cans in my fridge, but I honestly don't drink that much at home, so I'd say maybe 25% shelf beer. The rest of the time I'm out drinking what I can on draft at bars, bottle shops, growler fills etc.

39. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Initiate (0) May 2, 2013 Ohio
    Deactivated

I think we've changed the definition of waelz immensely

40. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I chose the first choice because it actually reflects my beer consumption.

I wanted to choose the last choice because it was clearly the best answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.