How often do you get drunk?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jeevo, Dec 15, 2012.

?

How often do you drink to get drunk?

1. All the time or close to it.

58 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

320 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Rarely or never.

449 vote(s)
    54.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerluvr

beerluvr Meyvn (1,231) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Trader

Since I do 99% of my beer drinking in my home I tend to not limit myself...the end result being a pleasant state of drunkeness, intended or not. In the past that was a goal, as I was on my own going thru a divorce and it was too easy to get some good beers and was down a few Ambien or Xanax with it as well as smoking weed at the same time. Luckily a few years ago I cut out the dangerous practice of pills and beer. Not everyone is as lucky though.

rather and antlerwrestler19 like this.
  2. JimF138

JimF138 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Scotland

Apart from the never leaving the house during it, this is exactly my response!

3. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (177) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Falling down, blacked out drunk and unable to remember anything..that happens maybe 1-3 times a year. But I do like to go out and have 4-6 beers on a saturday (I always take uber or go to the bar across teh street)..so that's just a decent buzz depending on the beer.

WesMantooth likes this.
  4. kalosjakar

kalosjakar Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

I usually drink 7-10% beers, so it tends to happen even when im not looking to get buzzed.

5. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,905) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Society

Ditto here....

6. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Too old for that now. Maybe twice a year. I find that the beers I like now a days are more self limiting. Michelob golden light I used pound the shit out of. IPAs and porters fill me up so much that after 3 or 4, I don't want anymore.

Mehinaman and StoutElk_92 like this.
  7. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

At some of those 'special events' you have to get drunk, just to get through them!! :stuck_out_tongue:

#247 matcris, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    hophugger and StoutElk_92 like this.
  8. Dravin

Dravin Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2014 Indiana

Without going into the nitty-gritty of just where the line is between drunk and buzzed I drink to get a nice light relaxing buzz far more often than I drink to get drunk. Most of my drinking consists of enjoying something at home and is usually in the 2-4 standard drink range over the course of an hour or two. It's usually just two beers but for a lot of craft beer the standard drink to actual drink ratio isn't 1:1. If I'm out and drinking with a meal it's usually a 1-2 pints or if driving myself just 1 pint (unless I'm gonna make it an extended stay to sober up).

Maybe once a month (sometimes twice a month, sometimes no times a month) I drink to get a little loopy but even then it's more drinking to maintain a heavy buzz for several hours rather than praying to the porcelain god level of drinking.

#248 Dravin, Dec 8, 2015
    hophugger likes this.
  9. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Lol, it just makes the experience better. If it's not way overpriced I'd like to get more buzzed or drunk say at a sporting event, or some fun social occasion. Though I went to a family friend's wedding this summer and got really drunk (free open bar), but still had fun. I never really get plastered or black out.

#249 StoutElk_92, Dec 8, 2015
    matcris likes this.
  10. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

Like others have stated. I pop a beer open with the intentions of "One and Done". Yet the end result is mostly me crushing some big bottles and a Few Mirrors...:slight_frown:

CJNAPS, TheIPAHunter and cjgiant like this.
  11. Victory_Sabre1973

Victory_Sabre1973 Poo-Bah (2,899) Sep 15, 2015 Minnesota
    Society Trader

The last time it happened to me was in January, when my business got robbed, and I was out of town. I didn't get back till late that evening. That bomber bottle from Boulevard that was, I think 13% was downed in 20 minutes, and the other 4 beers soon followed. I passed out at around 2 Am. The next day I was at work, massively hung over, and recreating a closing report, since the computer got stolen.

pat61 likes this.
  12. Ninjakillzu

Ninjakillzu Initiate (0) Oct 5, 2015 Washington

As someone who was rarely interested in alcohol when I was younger seemingly unlike a lot of teens, I never drink to get drunk. The most beer I have in a day is usually one, with two being a rare occasion. If I feel a buzz, it's a consequence of drinking an alcoholic beverage. Honestly, I still don't see what feels so good about a buzz that people drink to get one. I just like the many flavors of tasty beer styles. I don't even care if beer gives a buzz or not. If beer had no alcohol and tasted just as good, I would drink it a lot more than I do now.

13. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Every morning?

Harrison8, Shroud0fdoom and alexk307 like this.
  14. swenny916

swenny916 Defender (692) Jan 3, 2010 Illinois
    Society Trader

Really depends what company I'm drinking with. My girlfriend loves craft beer as well so we will usually hit a craft bar and each get a couple beers.

If I'm with some of my college friends I don't see very often, I usually start with a good beer or two and then move into beers that won't give as big of a hangover.

15. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Interesting question....

I typically have a 2 finger pour of Vodka with a few cubes or Whiskey neat before I have a twelve ounce bottle or a 22oz Bomber.

The beers are for flavor and enjoyment, and the booze is a warm up to catch a little buzz with my beer. I'm not drunk afterwards or driving, but I prefer to get a decent buzz when I choose to drink.

alexk307 likes this.
  16. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Drinking craft beer for the sheer purpose of getting shitty doesn't make sense to me - honestly, there are faster, cheaper, and more efficient ways to launch yourself into some kind of stupor.

Now, that being said, I'd be lying if I said part of the reason I crack a few beers at the end of the week isn't to take the pinch out of a long workweek - yes, as an advocate for beer, I do enjoy a nice, mellow buzz a few 7 to 8 percent beers provide.

It would also be a lie to say my love for craft beer doesn't at times inadvertently result in a nice, healthy bag on - that's just the price of what we love. I hosted my first bottle share this Sunday, and while things didn't descend into complete chaos, the urge to sample as many wonderful, hard-to-get beers as possible led to a pretty wobbly night.

Once and a while, if you're careful about it, I don't think that's the worse thing in the world.

17. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (402) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

I drink to get drunk at least once a week.

18. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Florida

I'm not 19 so I don't drink for the sole purpose of getting drunk any longer although that occasionally is the end result after a bottle share.

So I don't too get drunk ever but sometimes I know in advance it's going to end up happening.

Lastly, by drunk I mean a nice good buzz not falling over and blacking out drunk.

19. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

Yeah I'm still in college and graduate tomorrow, been drinking to get drunk more often than normal lately because the days of being able to drink all day are ending really soon.
    Rarely do I drink craft beer when just trying to get hammered. Usually it's one or two good beers than on to cheap liquor. Evan Williams black FTW.

Victory_Sabre1973 and Karst32 like this.
  20. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (198) Jan 14, 2006 Florida

Rarely am I trying to get drunk, but the buzz is usually part of the objective. When good, strong beer is involved the line between the two becomes easily blurred.

russpowell and Victory_Sabre1973 like this.
  21. Karst32

Karst32 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2015 Illinois

I love being drunk, but hate being hungover.

22. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

oh and not by choice but it was obviously going to happen, blacked out at a festival and somehow woke up in my bed. thank you uber driver hopefully I wasn't an ass

23. nick0417

Honestly, the more interesting question here should be, if we want to even go down this road: How often do you accidentally get drunk?

I think most of us here will agree that our passion for delicious beer, no matter how well our intentions, can sometimes result in a nice, healthy load, no matter how inadvertent. Cards on the table, I usually end a decent number of Friday or Saturday evenings with a robust buzz because I wanted to try X or Y or Z beer and just didn't notice the accumulation of the ABV until the buzz arrived.

Didn't set out to be tipsy - that just sometimes happens with a hobby and passion like ours.

24. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

I never open a bottle with intentions on getting drunk. I like to enjoy the beer but there's been a few times where I passed my limit. When I'm out I never have more than 2 beers except when I visited Russian River and I drank the whole Belgian sampler by myself. I was pretty buzzed.

Lucular, nick0417 and Karst32 like this.
  25. nick0417

When in Rome...

Brolo75 likes this.
  26. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,470) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I never drink to get drunk anymore. It's just happens on accident, I swear!

When you drink a handful of double digit abv% stouts, it kind of creeps up on you.... Err, hits you like a bag of bricks.

Kuaff, Brolo75 and Karst32 like this.
  27. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (3,850) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

Like many in this thread, my intent is not to get drunk but it happens for a variety of reasons. Also, my intent has changed in the cycle of life. When in college, and most of my twenties, the intent was to get drunk and I was very successful. Then came kids, a mortgage, and all kinds of stuff that precluded getting drunk. After that period in your life you may find that you drink more but mostly for the fun of it. And sometimes, or oftentimes, you have too much fun.

cjgiant and Brolo75 like this.
  28. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (6,928) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Society

Very rarely do I set out to get drunk these days, although it does happen every now and then. I have two young kids, so they keep me on my toes.

nicholas2121 likes this.
  29. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

I normally drink with or after food. I drink for flavor rather than quantity and generally keep it to 2 or 3 beers a night. I'm fairly large so I very rarely get hammered.

30. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I mean. I never drink to get sloppy and black out. But if I'm watching a game with friends or just relaxing. It happens...

31. prost2hefeweizen

prost2hefeweizen Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2015 Oklahoma

I'd say I get drunk no more than 10 times a year

32. jamesroses

jamesroses Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2015 Argentina

there was a time when I went out at night knowing it would end rough...but I was doing pills and weed too...I think I passed out or almost 8 times in a couple of months...after that I decided to drink responsibly and leave that stuff behind...anyway, I still have a great tolerance...nowadays I drink to enjoy the flavors

Kuaff and beerluvr like this.
  33. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (671) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

A always try to limit my consumption to a mild buzz level – 2 12 oz. bottles of 4%-7% or 1 larger format bottle of a higher ABV beer in a sitting. Don't like getting shit-faced to the point of my sleep being effected or feeling it the next day. College days were a long time ago. :rolling_eyes:

Ninjakillzu likes this.
  34. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,534) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Early 20's it was quite often. Once I discovered good beer, it was all about taste. That said, there are times when it tastes so good that I end up drinking more than I intended. The difference, though, is back in my younger days I was only drinking with one goal in mind.

hop_junkie, cjgiant and DrStiffington like this.
  35. BeerMeInStl

BeerMeInStl Aspirant (209) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri

Never. I typically don't drink more than 2-3 beers at a time and usually get filled up far before getting drunk.

HopsAreDaMan likes this.
  36. Kuaff

Kuaff Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Alaska

I do not drink solely to get drunk (otherwise I'd just buy the cheapest ethanol source). Nor do I drink solely for the enjoyment of a beer's fine non-alcoholic qualities (otherwise I'd just drink "craft juice" or something). It always has been, and always will be the case, that the combination of inebriation and flavors/aromas are what attract me to drinking beer.

They are inseparably linked, complementary, and if one is absent, the magic of beer is gone.

37. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I never drink intending to get drunk, but sometimes overindulge.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  38. NateDyk47

NateDyk47 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2015 Michigan

Tough to answer. Getting drunk is rarely my goal, but 1 turns into 5 turns into 10...

Kuaff likes this.
  39. NateDyk47

NateDyk47 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2015 Michigan

Are you me?

40. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,467) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio
    Society

See I'd say I'm not sober more than 10 times a year, and the times I were it was just awful :stuck_out_tongue:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.