How often do you re-do reviews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackRWatkins, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,343) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

For my first 6 months in craft and on BA, I essentially did unofficial reviews in my WBAYDN and NBS posts. Then I actually did a review officially, and realized I had been doing them all along. I went back and made those unofficial reviews official. What changed my mind is that after writing a review, I compared it to others and realized I matched many others on objective details, and it's OK if we differ subjectively. Jump in, the water is nice. Can't be faulted for your opinion, it's all yours.

#41 bbtkd, Dec 24, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    ChairmanMeow likes this.
  2. bbtkd

Society Trader

I go back and look at reviews I did a long time ago, and update them if I feel my assessment has changed substantially. For instance, when I first got into craft I disliked Bourbon Barrel beers, but eventually developed a taste for them and now they're my favorite. So - I had to go back and change my reviews where I had hated on them. Other times, I realize that I was too critical or not critical enough and feel compelled to change my reviews. If our tastes never changed and if we were consistent in our reviews, we would never need to update one - but that does not describe most of us.

Sanacja2635 and cjgiant like this.
  3. Sanacja2635

Sanacja2635 Initiate (29) Feb 7, 2016 Connecticut

A 4pk always gives me the opportunity to reappraise a beer. I've only been in the beer game for a solid 1.5 years now, so I'm always open to re-trying beers from my early days to see how much my taste buds have developed. Needless to say, they have....that or sometimes the beer just wasn't good to begin with...

cjgiant likes this.
  4. arizcards

arizcards Poo-Bah (5,357) Jun 11, 2003 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Over time i am re-reviewing beers that are materially (10%) over or under the average (mostly over). In my early years of reviewing brews (2003-2010) i was so happy to be trying the new wave of brews from the west coast as it was radically so better then what i was used to drinking. I have a Port Hop 10 that i will be checking out next. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'm in much the same boat even though I've been in the game awhile longer. 30 years ago we used to buy Hacker-Pschorr Hefe Weisse by the case so I'm comfortable rating it but now won't write a full review unless I have one in front of me which alas is unavailable in the spot where I currently reside. So I'll wait and when circumstances permit, update.

One thing I like about this Board is honest tasting notes in the reviews. Whether or not I agree I appreciate their take on the brew.

utopiajane and Sanacja2635 like this.
  6. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (733) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

I go through my own reviews and I am often amazed at what I've said in very early reviews I did about beers I like or at least that's what it seems like lately, most are still spot on how I feel but I re-do them on occasion

7. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,159) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

there was a period of time when i would used the quick reviewer (when it was only overall in increments of .25) even though i always felt it was ver inaccurate. after they improved it i would still use it more to keep track of what i've had. if i revisit a beer i did a quick review on i drop on a formal review. i think it's about time to revisit some of my early reviews. port old viscosity is the reason i started reviewing, i need to have that guy again.

also what needs to be mentioned, There are not enough reviews!!

cjgiant likes this.
  8. Everydayoff

Everydayoff Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 Thailand

I mostly do re-review for the beer that I reviewed at my earlier stage. I feel like my palate hasn't been developed at that time and I need to adjust some thing once I got a chance to revisit.

JackRWatkins likes this.
  9. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,798) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Society Trader

Likewise squire123, if I only rated a beer, and I am drinking it again, I'm back with a review, be it short.

Otherwise, it's for typos, which are common enough when I am on a drinking session.

10. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (733) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

I try to avoid just rating beers because it doesn't really say much and how people interpret the metric can vary so widely

Shanex likes this.
  11. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I'll redo a review if something very different strikes me while drinking that beer that I've already reviewed

12. Jay_P22

Jay_P22 Aspirant (233) Mar 17, 2016 Virginia

I really only review really good beers. Like top 250 beers. I don't have time to rate everything I drink, and I don't think it's worth the effort.

Rate local though if they are good and you're trying to help them along.

13. sillyhed8

sillyhed8 Disciple (322) Mar 15, 2014 California

Have you ever felt differently about a beer you LOVED sometime ago, and now its just EH, or visa versa?
    If so, did you change your rating?

14. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Champion (802) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin

Absolutely.

I used to think KBS was amazing. Now I wouldn't even put it in the top 200 beers I've ever had and probably not even the top 25 coffee beers.

This doesn't even take into account batch variation, which is huge in many of the more popular styles these days.

HorseheadsHophead and sillyhed8 like this.
  15. smutty33

smutty33 Crusader (795) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Trader

Yes indeed. Tastes change, so shall ratings.

Cheers

ivorycannon likes this.
  16. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,425) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I've heard some people say your rating should only reflect your initial tasting, but truthfully I change my ratings a lot. Your palate is fickle and is going to change a lot anyway, so you might as well have your ratings reflect your most recent opinion. Some beers I like a lot less than I used to, and some I like more.

ivorycannon and sillyhed8 like this.
  17. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I think I have definitely noticed that all my first ratings are too high, and also that all my first tastes of a new style are too high. I never go back and change them. I think we all notice that when we get a beer that exemplifies a style it makes you want to go back and reorganize your ratings. That simply can't be done.

MNAle, Squire, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  18. sillyhed8

sillyhed8 Disciple (322) Mar 15, 2014 California

I also think sometimes the hype gets the best of me..,.

utopiajane likes this.
  19. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,534) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

No, and I believe there's a difference between changing the rating vice providing an updated version. My 5.0 review of Titan IPA is comical because I didn't provide anything tangible to assist other people interested in pursuing the beer. I more or less said "this beer is the sh*t, don't question me." Haha! My point, however, is that for me to change my review would be false, because that review directly captured my exact feelings at that time. The last time I drank Titan IPA might have been 3 or 4 years ago, and my palate has undoubtedly changed. A 4.0 rating at this point would be too generous. I prefer my ratings to capture the inspiration of the moment, but if I ever felt so inclined to revisit a beer I used to love, I would keep the original and simply provide an updated assessment. Larrrgeā„¢.

20. bbtkd

Society Trader

I have changed ratings because my tastes have changed. One of the first craft beers I tried was Dragon's Milk, cold out of the bottle. I swore off Bourbon Barrel beers because the bourbon was so overpowering. I posted my reaction on these forums, and was advised to drink from a glass after letting it warm a bit. This made a huge difference and now BA stouts are my favorite. I certainly needed to change a rating there. Also, though I still do not prefer bitter beers, my tolerance has increased and re-trying has led to more positive ratings. I've even revised my ratings minutes after posting them - when further warming brought out additional flavor - good or bad.

21. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,381) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I've noticed the same thing. My initial ratings were also too high. But, not always. Some were also extremely low based on my personal preferences at the time.

I have re-reviewed a few beers, but it is generally not to "correct" my initial rating but rather because the brewer changed the beer itself so it was significantly different. I don't mean batch variation here, but actual intentional change by the brewer.

This site makes re-reviewing a bit odd, however, since the date of the review does not change. I guess I understand why the site does not allow multiple reviews of the same beer by the same member, but perhaps the date should be updated as well. But if I re-review a beer, I will typically add the new review to the top, along with the review date as part of the text, while keeping the original review at the bottom of the text, and adding the original numerical ratings into the old review text.

drtth and utopiajane like this.
  22. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,161) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Occasionally. I tend to expound if anything, and correct errors. I usually just read to compare what I think of it now vs. when I reviewed it.

23. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I don't have a set plan but if a beer goes from world class to mediocre I'll definitely delete my old review and post a new one, unless the beer had a specific vintage which gives it different listings.

One beer that stands out is Bell's Quinannan Falls Lager. It used to be one of my highest rated beers when it was a small batch, draft only option. The beer that they put out now in cans is meh.

24. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Never really do a review which I've been meaning to start doing but I re do ratings a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.