How often you work out to live your beer life?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by crow121, Nov 30, 2017.

?

You work out?

1. Nah, I'm good. 0 days

42 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Little bit. 1-2 days

27 vote(s)
    13.4%
  3. Little more. 3-4 days

68 vote(s)
    33.8%
  4. Gym rat. 5-7 days.

64 vote(s)
    31.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dthacker

dthacker Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2017 California

I said 3-4 days as that's more of an average, I enjoy going to the gym but only do so when time permits. Some weeks it's 5-6 days and sometimes only 1-2 days, with that I think drinking fewer albeit much better craft beers through the week instead of throwing back too many cheaper beers has done as much for my weight as the exercise.
    "Everything in moderation, including moderation" O. Wilde

KBlodorn likes this.
  2. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (573) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Voted gym rat... I'm at the gym from appx. 4:45-6 every weekday morning, aerobic and lifting. On weekends I walk for 2-4 hours and do chores (vacuuming, outdoor crap).

Got to put in the time for this hobby.

3. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (468) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

What's harder to carve out the calories for? The beer or the cheeseburgers?

Also, my belated condolences on Mr. Lahey.

Wiffler27 and dthacker like this.
  4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,416) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

The only beer run I do involves a SUV and a store.

5. mkh012

mkh012 Crusader (784) May 7, 2015 Colorado

8 miles on a stationary bike 3 times a week and lifting sporadically. I typically only drink on the weekends.

I've noticed if I weigh myself on a Friday morning and then again Monday morning after 5+ beers, typically 16 oz. NE-IPAs as of late, and general weekend debauchery that the scale will differ by as much as 5 lbs. I'm routinely ~173 on Friday and ~178 on Monday. Beer and the subsequent munchies will get ya.

6. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I voted "Nah I'm good" but not to do with my beer life. I used to be very active, lifting five days a week and playing basketball. Then two years ago I fractured my elbow and I fell off the wagon, HARD. I haven't really got back to a consistent routine since. But I need to. I feel like a marshmallow now.

7. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

For me, exercise is the easy part. More effective? Eating healthy, lean protein, grains, veggies, and just less. Cut out soda few years ago, only had them once in a while. 10 lbs, gone. Sugar, processed food, not good.

8. Nuks

Nuks Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 Illinois

I run typically 5 miles 6x a week, then usually walk or something on the 7th day for 3-5 miles.

That said, I've been midweek drinking more than I used to, and it is definitely noticeable weight wise (I tend to go up and down ~ 5 pounds every week after the weekend where I eat "worse" than normal). My weight bounces between 205-215 lbs for a 6'6" male. The midweek drinking (~2 beers a night ~7% abv) makes that weight carry a little bit more.

9. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Poo-Bah (1,578) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Never. Liquid calories don't count.

utopiajane and SomethingClever like this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

At the gym at least 3 days a week with some hill running in the warmer weather a couple days a week.

If I had to give up beer or working out, it wouldn't even be close. Beer would have to go.

jvgoor3786 likes this.
  11. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,027) Aug 16, 2009 North Carolina

frig off, i need them both. with Mr. Lahey gone i can keep the freezer full of cheeseburgers

12. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

CrossFit 2-4 times per week. Running and other exercises 1-2 days. In the summer I run and bike more. Then again, I don't typically drink beer everyday.

Some friends introduced me to a "Dry January" challenge last year that I really enjoyed. I will do it again this year. It involves cutting all alcohol in January (January 2nd to Super Bowl Sunday) to dry out from all the big IPA's and BA beers from the holidays. Its a good way to also drop 10-15lbs without having to do anything above my normal routine.

13. peteboiler

peteboiler Initiate (138) Dec 16, 2010 Florida

I do 50 sit-ups and 40 arm curls every morning before work. 5 days a week. Not bragging at all. I joined a gym once and it wasn't my thing. Beer is. However, being a letter carrier for the USPS, I get plenty of walking throughout the day. I am - and have been for years (since my craft beer enthusiasm began) - around the 180 mark.

mkh012 likes this.
  14. Btip1969

Btip1969 Aspirant (273) Apr 17, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Voted Gym Rat- I workout 5-7 days a week. Weightlifting for at least an hour each day with 30-45 minutes of cardio mixed in at least 3 of those days. I'm an early riser (3am) so I don't have much of a problem making to the gym. Been working out much longer than I've been a part of the craft beer world, so I work out to be strong and healthy, not to be able to drink. I do my best to balance what I eat and drink, but when I go overboard, I will do a little extra to attempt to offset it (not that it works that well).

HoppingMadMonk, VABA and seakayak like this.
  15. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (330) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

But what makes beer/alcohol different from food is that the liver goes after the alcohol first so fat can just sit there and then accumulates. That's the big issue with beer: high in calories, carbs and you also have the alcohol piece to contend with.

The timing of this thread is really interesting and I have a similar story. I work out regularly, have for decades and have a good diet. I'm in good shape but I was still getting a bit of a beer gut so months ago I cut way back on beer and that helped a bit but didn't do enough for my liking. I decided to stop beer completely for a month and there were immediate results and the stubborn area shrunk quickly. I worked beer back in, keeping it to a minimum, but it didn't take long to see/feel some negative results.

I have GERD as well and beer can cause me to bloat pretty badly if it's really acting up. So...while I love beer and it has become a big part of my life I'm starting to find myself contemplating more and more if it's really worth it...that month off was a real eye opener.

Btip1969 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  16. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I run on the weekends and my Mon-Fri job burns 3,000 calories a day so I eat shitty and binge drink and gain ZERO pounds. But, I will also die before any of you. You reap what you sow.

SomethingClever likes this.
  17. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I would rather die young and enjoy all the things people say are terrible for me, instead of living to be 90.

SomethingClever, loebrygg and scream like this.
  18. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,058) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'm the same way. Working out is my therapy and happy place. 5 days a week with weights and HIIT.

19. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

One, maybe two days a week from October to February. From March to September it's pretty much a no go since I'm on the road for work 3-4 days a week, and spend 95% of my weekends at the lake house. I honestly hate going to the gym and having to be around the gym rats grunting constantly while they're trying to do squats with 300-400lbs, or the people that continually drop the weight stacks on the equipment they're using when they're done. As far as I'm concerned here's to more beer, cigars, and meals of meat/potatoes. At least I'll die happy instead of blowing out a knee, or my back, from going to the gym 7 days a week for the sake of trying to stay healthy.

SomethingClever likes this.
  20. Shafaegalo

Shafaegalo Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2014 Texas

I walk about 5-6 miles a day at work (retail management) and try to lay off the processed crap when I know I want to enjoy a few extra beers. It keeps everything in check pretty well on weight maintenance.

21. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Every. Damn. Day.
    I’ve missed 8 days since high school. 5 recovering from appendix surgery, 1 resting after a motorcycle accident, and 2 stuck in the hospital after my son’s birth.

I try to get my workout done as early as possible. I have a personal rule, “no alcohol until the workout is done”. An hour of weights and bodyweight training, usually 15-20 of cardio 3-5 times a week and the odd yoga or Pilates class.

I boxed and wrestled in HS and college, and it just sort of became a habit. I wouldn’t say I necessarily enjoy it, but I definitely would feel ‘off’ if I skipped a day.

utopiajane and Btip1969 like this.
  22. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,173) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I've been doing 1-2 craft beers per day for about 7 years now. Probably gained only 5-7lbs over that span. My working out, sports etc has drastically decreased now compared to in my 20's and 30's raising kids, playing sports etc.

My caloric food intake is substantially less now that goes hand in hand with less exercise. Beer and carbonation also helps fill you up. For example I had only cheese and crackers and some hard salami for dinner last night (with a Pilsner). 15 years ago, a typical dinner for me would have been 2 large plates of spaghetti, butter bread and 16oz (or more) of 2% milk as the norm. Just don't need as much food anymore and it seems to keep weight in check despite enjoying 1-2 craft beers per day.

23. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (2,880) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Slightly unrelated but I was looking around in the new Tree House brewery at Charlton and noticed they had a pretty decent gym that was right on the floor of the brewery. One of the guys saw me checking it out and told me that the owners originally owned a gym (or something of that nature) and so it only made sense to have one in the brewery. I thought it was pretty cool.

24. LloydDobler

LloydDobler Champion (832) Jul 25, 2014 Indiana
    Trader

Nothing like maxing out on bench which a 6er of IPAs in ya, bro!

ESHBG likes this.
  25. Gaddabble

Gaddabble Devotee (474) Mar 8, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I average running a little over 100 miles a month. That more than offsets things as one mile will roughly equal a 4% beer or so in terms of calories. Plus, waking up at 4am some days to run kind of curbs your drinking.

26. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,826) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I didn't vote but I generally do something at the very least every day. I have weights and a bench in my basement and a 45lb and 20lb kettlebell so I do 2 free weight workouts and 1 kettlebell workout a week. I do varying types of sit-ups every day before I shower. I do push-ups almost every day. I can pound out 55-60 fast ones or approx 30 really slow and deliberate ones.

I run two times a week during footie season, and I play midfield so I do a lot of running during a game. I'll run three times a week offseason. Generally in the 3.5 to 6 mile range each time I run, time allowing. We also have a very active lab/ shepherd who is spoiled when it comes to exercise. I just did a 50 minute 10k which I was pretty proud of. I drink pretty much 6 days a week, I rarely get tanked and I'm in the best shape of my life. Granted, I've been doing this for more than a decade so it's not because I drink. In the infamous words of Lester Burnham, I just want to look good naked. And...stay alive for my kids and not only keep up with them but tire them out too.

HoppingMadMonk and VABA like this.
  27. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (357) Sep 19, 2013 New York

6-8 hours a week, 80% powerlifting, 20% running, jump rope.

A lot less during the holidays.

Always been into training since a teenager.

Binge caloric intake from beer once or twice a week though seems to add up much more quickly as I age. It's almost like hitting a wall at age 40.

Btip1969 and ESHBG like this.
  28. NeverMeant

NeverMeant Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2016 Arizona

I do an hour of kick-my-ass cardio every single morning. Usually an uphill run, but occasionally rowing or stair climb if equipment is open.

29. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,812) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm a mechanic. After a day of lifting, twisting, pinching, walking, prying, wrenching, flexing and stressing I usually burn enough calories to eat and drink whatever I want.

bound4er likes this.
  30. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa

I unfortunately have a really bad back and knees and also have nerve damage from an abdominal surgery in high school and haven't been able to be very active since. I just don't drink very heavily. Most of the time I drink 1-3 beers and it's usually only a few times a week. Honestly even without working out you can still drink and not gain weight if you don't overdo it.

31. scream

scream Meyvn (1,364) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

If I could do it from the standpoint of getting snockered, I could drink beer all day and not put on weight either. It's called high BMR

32. mnrider

mnrider Crusader (757) May 26, 2009 Connecticut

I have a high metabolism so I don’t put on negative weight from drinking beer.

33. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I do a little light stretching every day but if I wanted to drink more than one or two a day I would have to do much more.

34. jonb5

jonb5 Meyvn (1,123) May 11, 2010 England

I run or cycle almost every day. In the winter I use the stationary bike quite a lot. This is something I would do even if I didn’t drink alcohol.

I upload my activities to Garmin and Strava to give things a bit of a competitive edge.

35. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (358) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Working out in gyms has never appealed to me but I do cardio and 200 pushups every morning at home, plus the incidental exercise that accompanies not owning a car and being a natural-born child of rhythm.

36. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

I walk 10 to 12 miles a day at work. Do push ups, sit ups, and stretching everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.