Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

How Old Where You When You Fell For Beer & What Beer Was Your First Love?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SmoothHoosier, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmoothHoosier

SmoothHoosier Apr 5, 2013 Indiana

I'm 34 years old & I really didn't start drinking beer until I was like 28. I always thought beer was nasty & I used to drink vodka & rum mostly.

I was hanging with a pretty and she was drinking BUD LIGHT LIME and she offered me one. I figured, i'm gonna give beer another gander...I tasted it and I loved it. So I started going out & drinking Bud Light Lime everywhere. I went to a karaoke bar during dollar beer night & they didn't have Bud Light Lime, so I got a regular Bud Light & I liked it. Then I got a job at Bluegrass Brewing Company & had the Dark Star Porter & totally fell in love. After that, I wanted to try craft brews & nothing else really. So, Dark Star Porter was the beer that really was my gateway to all these other craft beers that i'm willing to try & love now.
    Rutager, Premo88 and KhakCane like this.
  2. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Oct 16, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I was 17 and In germany, I feel in love with Neuzeller Kloster-Brau Schwarzer...... Which I find too sweet now, I am 25.
    4balance likes this.
  3. Benish

Benish Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Probably when I was 19 and my dad would kindly offer me a beer when we're in Northern WI. It's not the beer that matters at that time, it's the "being part of the gang" that made it memorable.

Confession: it was Bud light. But that was looong time ago, both my dad and I never go near the stuff. We are more distinguished gentlemen. :D
    jebsinger and HisBoyElroy like this.
  4. HugeBulge

HugeBulge Dec 31, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

16 and bud ice.
    JArena13 likes this.
  5. JuliusCaesar

JuliusCaesar Feb 18, 2013 New Hampshire

Senior in high school. A friend brought SNPA and Magic Hat #9 to a house party. Tried it and never looked back
    4balance likes this.
  6. Brewsed

Brewsed Oct 29, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

17. I forced down B,M,C, OE, and Icehouse but never really liked it. Then a friend picked up Sweetwater 420 Xpale (because of the name only) everyone else poured it out. At that moment i realized that real beer was something that actually tasted good.
  7. ressling

ressling Oct 26, 2011 Georgia

I always drank beer since high school but it was always domestic Bud or whatever. It was when I turned 22 and moved to the South that I tried my first Rogue Dead Guy at a local Taco Mac in Atlanta. From there I kept experimenting, and since then, I spent many weekends at Sweetwater Brewery and just kept going. Hard to pass up $8 for a free glass and lots of generous beer samples when you're that young. As much as I don't drink 420 now, I do owe them a lot for getting the ball rolling!
  8. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Mid 20's. It started with a bomber of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.
  9. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts

My mother bought Trader Joe's Black Toad for my uncle and I got to try it in my late teen's/early twenties and enjoyed it. I didn't know it yet, but I was bound for a craft beer drinker.

I became self aware 5 years ago at Mondial de la bière
  10. MarioM

MarioM Sep 13, 2009 California

I was 18 or 17 when I had my brother buy me a Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout. I had been eyeing that beer for a while but wasn't old enough. I didn't even know what it was really, I just wanted to try it from it's description and tasting notes, "Ebony in color with a rich creamy head, earthy flavor and
    a mellow, chocolate finish." and cool logo with Shavespeare on it with a pint.
  11. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

I think I truly started to really enjoy beer in about 1994 when I worked in a pub during college - my beer(s) of choice at the time were a black & tan made from Bass Ale and Guinness (in the nitro cans). I was 20 at the time.
  12. Ant7780

Ant7780 Dec 2, 2012 Michigan

29 - Bell's Two Hearted blew my tastebuds away. To this day I am always searching for the hoppiest beers I can find.
    MagicJeff, ressling and Saviorself like this.
  13. MarkLaFay

MarkLaFay Nov 25, 2010 Indiana

17. Rolling Rock.
  14. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Nov 21, 2008 Texas

When I was in first grade my favorite was salvaged cans Olympia left by construction workers at home building sites around Arora Colorado in the early 70's. I liked it after it had been through a week or more so of hot days and cold nights. I loved that weathered beer flavor better than fresh beer. But I also liked Coors. Loved the new Alluminum cans. I would hit them against a nail and drink out of the side of the can. I loved the smell of the beer as it misted into the air. My mom would get mad, though, and she'd make me drink it from a glass.
    4balance likes this.
  15. Vitacca

Vitacca Sep 15, 2010 Montana
    Beer Trader

6 years ago at the ripe age of 28 my love of beer started. Previously drank Miller Lite and New Belgium Sunshine Wheat...beers of that nature. I knew I was screwed when I bought a case of Duvel for $85 and didn't blink an eye.
  16. MetalMountainMastiff

MetalMountainMastiff Oct 1, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Probably around 22 , I would make a plan to often buy guinness foreign extra stout and drink it while playing guitar or playing video games.
    4balance likes this.
  17. Siriusfisherman

Siriusfisherman Aug 23, 2011 Colorado

I tried beer for the first time in Germany when I was 18, there I decided that beer was great. When I was 19 and back home for thanksgiving, my mom had a Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale in the back of the fridge, that night I ordered my first homebrewing book.
    4balance and ressling like this.
  18. GotWad629

GotWad629 Sep 14, 2010 New York

17 - Molson Canadian > Saranac Adirondack Lager > Ithaca Apricot wheat
  19. Saviorself

Saviorself Mar 15, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Started with the bud light like most but then decided to get other regular stuff like fosters, stella, peroni ect. Then my uncle passed away and for an after service thing we went to a little hole in the wall bar in Cincy. i looked in the cooler and found a FFF 2011 Behemoth. brought that home and split it with my cousin (who i had no idea loved craft brews) and a great friend. Doors opened up after that. Still one of my favorites and the occasion made it that much better. everything happens for a reason
    ressling and SmoothHoosier like this.
  20. FremontBar

FremontBar Feb 1, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I am 34 now, but remember being at a party in the woods when I was 16 or 17. When you are in high school you get what you can get which up to that point was something like Mickeys, Red Dog, Ice House, etc. Anyway some one brought a six pack of Guinness, I snagged one, and that was the moment I realized beer didn't have to taste like shit. A few years later I went to school in Colorado starting drinking Odell, New Belgium, Sierra Nevada and never looked back
    4balance and ressling like this.
  21. Saviorself

Saviorself Mar 15, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Find the Mikkeller 1000 ibu
    Jake1605 and Ant7780 like this.
  22. DmouthCaliBrewz

DmouthCaliBrewz Mar 29, 2013 New Hampshire

17. Spaten Octoberfest and Honey Brown. The rest is history.
    MaxOhle likes this.
  23. BWarrington

BWarrington Jan 8, 2012 Florida

15, micky's wide mouth. U would get a micky's definition on every cap. Boulevard wheat was my first craft beer i started to drink around 18,19.
    JArena13 and ressling like this.
  24. dwagner003

dwagner003 Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

23. Chimay Blue. Been in love with Belgium ever since.
    4balance likes this.
  25. teraflx

teraflx Feb 4, 2013 Arizona

16 and I loved any beer I could afford back then.
  26. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Dec 7, 2010 Idaho

20-21ish, Black Butte Porter baby!
    Spaghett likes this.
  27. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

21- Was a hard alcohol drinker up to that point. Magic Hat #9 changed all that.

When I was 26 I had Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball and I went from being into beer, to being obsessed with it.
    looseteeth and 4balance like this.
  28. Synergy87

Synergy87 Jan 21, 2012 Wisconsin

I was 21 when I had the first beer I fell in love with, which was Hacker-Pschorr Weis, which is still my favorite Weis beer. No lemons in the beer for me anymore though lol. After that I fell in love with anything Sam Adams and thought Sams made the best everything.
  29. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Jan 9, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Since I could walk. Probably my first chore as a kid was grabbing Dad's beer out of the fridge. I'd pop it for him & he'd usually let me have the first sip of his banquet beer. I always loved it.
    4balance likes this.
  30. ESeab

ESeab Jan 3, 2013 New Jersey

High School - High Life
    College Pre-21 - Yuengling
    Over 21 - #9 > Right into buying Mix a Sixs

I could go on because I think there was a drink/like/love/obsessed progression of it. So I guess the love answer is, as stated, #9
  31. SteelCity75

SteelCity75 Jan 14, 2013 Connecticut

Well I'm honestly very new to craft beer. I'm only 21, I didn't even drink my first beer until I was 18. I never bought beer back then because I felt I was too far underage, so I only drank Natty and Bud Light, what people bought for parties I went to. Then when I was 20 I started to go with one of my buddies when he got beer and he let me pick something and I'd pay him for it later, so I got to try Miller High Life and Yuengling, High Life becoming my favorite beer. One night the same buddy got a six pack of Boston Lager and decided that he just couldn't drink it, saying it was too much for him. So I finished it. Looking back, what the hell was wrong with my friend? Then I bought the Saranac 12 Beers of Winter pack which I kind of liked, and then the Budweiser Project 12 pack which I didn't think was too bad. That's when I discovered Beer Advocate, by looking up a Budweiser project. Who'da thunk it? Then a friend introduced me to Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I was hooked.

RBCORCORAN May 18, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

probably around 14-15 we started drinking before going to jr high dances. Falstaff.
  33. Stinkypuss

Stinkypuss Apr 7, 2008 Pennsylvania

Never really enjoyed drinking a lot til college, but my intro to really drinking was sips of my old mans Sam Adams growing up, first time I got drunk was 40s of Old English in high school. Was about 15 then.

What turned me into a BA was Victory Hopdevil out in Philly region. That beer got me into craft, that and Stone. I was 19-20 back then, and buying cases of magic hat samplers, my old man told me about this site. The rest is, of course, history.
  34. Rand_ale_Thor

Rand_ale_Thor Oct 6, 2012 Wisconsin

20, NG Spotted Cow
    Wished I still loved it as much as I once did..drink indigenous! Though, their Belgian Red made me think twice about what a beer could be. So good.
  35. RyFikes

RyFikes Jan 3, 2013 New York

Buffalo Brewfest 2008. I was 21. I went more for the prospect of drinking than for the craft beer, but I was never the same after that. Arrogant Bastard and Saranac Pomegranet Wheat were the biggest proponents of the day.
  36. Philly82785

Philly82785 Dec 17, 2008 Minnesota

Triple Karmelit, BCBS, & Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw
  37. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

The first decent beer I fell in love with was Smithwicks. I was 21. I never really had the chance to try many "good" beers until I turned 21, because they weren't easily obtainable.

I don't drink Smithwicks much anymore, but I do enjoy getting a pint from time to time. It brings back some good memories.
    kevo2007 and ressling like this.
  38. notchucknorris

notchucknorris May 28, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

First was probably Pyramid Apricot. That got me liking beer. But the beer that really hooked me was the Abyss I had when I was 24, 3 years ago.
  39. YieldToNothing

YieldToNothing Mar 13, 2013 New York

i'm 29, i fell for beer last summer in belgium after tasting a st bernardus abt 12

before hat i was mostly a spirit drinker, with a molson, labbat, grolsch, heineken now and again. beer was never my go to at a bar or a party.
  40. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Sep 21, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

19, Hopslam, Consecrator Doppelbock, and SNPA, all in the same night baby.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!