1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

how to convince wife/friends not to drink beer ice cold?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tcblack4d, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcblack4d

tcblack4d Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2012 Georgia

I'm lucky. My wife loves imp. stouts (even a lot of ba ones) and her sister does too. She loves stone IRS and other readily available top notch imp. stouts. She also like most bws as well. She insists on drinking all beer ice cold though. If I've let a bottle warm up a bit, she'll pour her share into a frosty mug. How can I convince her that they taste better when they're not just above freezing? Obviously, this isn't of real importance in the greater scheme of things, but it does get a little bit annoying when we open a bottle that's hard to come by and she's annoyed that it's not cold enough.

2. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

Take her out back and flog her with a stick. She'll come around..
    But seriously just let her drink it cold. I'm not sure what the problem is.

3. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Disciple (323) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

She likes IRS, but doesn't get you can't taste half of it cold?

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  4. tcblack4d

def. not a problem, but she won't be coming around. she's been doing it for 3 years now.

5. LaneMeyer

Why does she have to come around? Why can't she just enjoy the beer how she likes?

6. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

I guess I don't get where the idea that our preferred way is the "correct" way comes from.

I wouldn't prefer to drink it ice cold, and wouldn't prefer to drink it at 80F either. But I would not spend any effort trying to change someone's preferred way of enjoying our favorite beverage. And I wouldn't pay any attention if they tried to change my preferred way.

cheers--
    --Michael

7. tcblack4d

but it is the correct way :slight_smile:

shiggins22 likes this.
  8. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

you can actually taste the subtleties of the beer. when it's too cold for the style, sure you can taste that its a stout or Belgian quad but the subtle notes of flavor are lost. Even lower abv. wheat beers are better served at a little higher temp. I have found that a lot of Belgian bottles actually have a temperature on the bottle. that's what the problem is.

Kuaff likes this.
  9. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I can understand it's a little annoying.

Kuaff and tcblack4d like this.
  10. udubdawg

udubdawg Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2006 Kansas

still not a "problem"

denver10 and 5thOhio like this.
  11. LukeH

LukeH Initiate (0) May 5, 2013 Minnesota

Good luck with that. I'm a BA, and, even though I intellectually understand all the reasons why this is wrong, I still drink my beer ice cold, even to the point of "frosting" my glasses in the freezer. Yes, I know that this is a horrible affront to good beer, but I can't help it. I spent the first 12 years or so of my beer drinking life as a strictly BMC drinker, and my preference for cold beer is a holdover from that. I can shake the belief that "smooth" and "easy-drinking" are positive attributes in a beer. I can shake the belief that quantity beats quality. But I can't shake the belief that beer is supposed to be ice cold. I wish I could.

12. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I like a frosted glass too. What that means is that you can do your notes on the nose before the appearance. It takes longer for the beer to warm and that means I have more time with it. =)

JayORear, 5thOhio and LukeH like this.
  13. BorisKarloff

BorisKarloff Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2013 Ohio

It's ok Rowsdower, we still accept you.

LukeH likes this.
  14. LukeH

I wonder if there's beer on the sun.

McStagger likes this.
  15. LaneMeyer

You and I have a different view of what constitutes a problem then.

BrettHead, denver10 and HisBoyElroy like this.
  16. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,423) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

Funny, I just saw a post on another forum I frequent. Some woman was complaining that her husband has control issues, evidenced by the fact that he doesn't want her to drink imperial stouts the way she prefers them. Must just be a coincidence.

17. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

Flogging is an old school form of street justice which if enforced today, might deter some criminals. It might also deter beer retailers from pulling some of the crap they do. :confused:

I agree with you though, I learned a while ago there's no sense of trying to convince someone to drink a certain beer or a certain way if they don't want to.

18. Gunch43

Gunch43 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Pennsylvania

I would kill to have my wife even take a sip of 1/10th of the beers I drink. She hates beer so she won't. Be happy she is drinking any at all. Besides, if her taste buds like them cold, then that's her thing. It's like one person liking a steak rare and one person liking it medium. Do you try to make that person eat their food at a temp they don't like?

Gregg_Kawakami and alysmith4 like this.
  19. LaneMeyer

There should be a video game called BA Street Justice. That would be awesome!

fsahm, Kerrie, alysmith4 and 2 others like this.
  20. nsheehan

nsheehan Devotee (409) Jul 3, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I see why this would be annoying, and why it's also a non-issue. Unless she insists on these beers and they cost much more than cold drinking brews, I don't think it's worth a spat. I would take issue with paying much more to have someone not enjoy the true beer as it should be. Note I did not say "enjoy the beer," as it seems she is enjoying the beers ice cold.

I'd suggest looking for some other styles that are somewhat similar (loosely used) but meant to be drank a bit colder, like schwarzbiers.

If I understand, you are checking out the smell while the beer is still ice cold (too cold). While you are free to do so, I'd recommend against this. A lot of smells don't emerge til the beer has warmed to 'the proper temp'. This has to do with the volatility of the smell compounds, IIRC.

21. Drucifer

Drucifer Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2012 Illinois

This reminds me of the King of Hill episode where Bobby asks Hank what to do if someone asks for their steak to be cooked well done. The answer was cook it medium rare and politely ask them to leave so you should politely divorce your wife.

Gunch43 likes this.
  22. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Ha, joke's on you. She has apparently leaned something that you have not, in that starting with a beer cold and gradually letting it warm in the glass is the best way to experience the entire range of flavors that the beer has to offer. You seem to be stuck in a small mindset that only wants one narrow suite of flavors.
    Seriously, back off your lady. She's still doing it right.

23. Hanzo

Hanzo Savant (954) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

If I could get the wife to drink any beer at any temperature I'd take it. Consider yourself lucky. If I were her and you told me to let my RIS warm I'd tell you to piss off.

denver10 and Treyliff like this.
  24. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

As long as she won't pour it out if it's warm and it's basically her fault it got warm, here's the solution. Pick a nice relatively hot day and sit outside. If she has a sister she's tight with, arrange for the sister to call her while you're drinking. If no sister, a good friend, a sister-in-law - you get my drift. As long as she doesn't take the beer with her, it will warm up while she's talking on the phone and voila! - she's tried it warmer. My wife doesn't drink but whenever her sister, sister-in-law or a good friend calls, she's oblivious to everything else. It doesn't cost anything and hopefully she'll never suspect you set this up.

But...just be thankful you always have a drinking buddy available.

beastmammoth and Drucifer like this.
  25. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 United Kingdom (England)

I don't know about "smooth" (in the UK this normally refers to rubbish nitrokeg bitters), but surely "easy-drinking" is a positive attribute? It shouldn't be hard to drink!

zid and beertunes like this.
  26. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,797) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

As someone who doesn't drink hot beverages, I like all my drinks cold, I'm going to say this as nicely as I am able to: STFU and let her enjoy her damn beer anyway she wants to. Maybe she's like me, any flavor I get from a beer, I'm gonna get at 35 degrees, I don't gain any flavors by drinking lukewarm beer. And, the warmer the beer, the worse the mouthfeel is. Again, STFU and let her drink.

27. LukeH

I guess I can't really argue with that; if it tastes good, it shouldn't be hard to drink, and, if it doesn't taste good, it isn't good beer. However, when I say "easy drinking" I'm thinking specifically of Bud Light, which, "bad" as it is, goes down like water, and I can't imagine any beer drinker, even the most ardent snob, actually finding it hard to drink. But an IPA with a ibu of 100 isn't going to be "easy drinking." It will be enjoyable to hop-heads for the precise reason that it isn't easy to drink.

I'm becoming somewhat a fan of ciders. I'd say that ciders and intrinsically easier to drink than beer. In fact, I'd say that Strongbow, which is the best cider that I've tried so far, is easier drinking than any beer on the planet.

28. tcblack4d

In reply to all. Perhaps I shouldn't have started with "I'm lucky." I should've started with "I'm grateful and thankful for my wife" because I am.
    Don't worry, she has many times.

draheim likes this.
  29. Badger72

Badger72 Initiate (70) Mar 8, 2013 Louisiana

Would you want your wife criticizing the way you drink beer? As people always mention on these threads, "different strokes for different folks."

denver10 and 5thOhio like this.
  30. tcblack4d

She does criticize the way I drink my beer, but ok maybe you're right with different strokes, etc.

31. tcblack4d

Wow, reading these responses makes me think I should show up with an ice cold stone irs when i get off work

BrettHead, draheim and beertunes like this.
  32. jettjon

jettjon Meyvn (1,080) Jun 3, 2005 Florida

I guess the only thing to do is explain why drinking it warmer is better, point her to lots of information backing that statement up, and then let her do her thing. "You can lead a wife to proper temperature beer, but...."

Kerrie likes this.
  33. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Another point. As Americans, we have been conditioned to drink beer ice cold and old habits, myths and conditioned responses are difficult to change, disprove and un-condition. Ask why she likes it so cold and explain, nicely of course.

34. JZ468

JZ468 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 New Mexico

I don't make a big deal about it , but if I'm tryin to explain why some are better not too cold. I simply ask " would you drink wine ice cold?" No for the same reasons. Honestly BMC which just about every body has first is better colder than warmer. The cold kills less palatable flavors. Then it be becomes a habit.
    It does kill me when you see breweries serving their beer that way. We have one in town that does.

35. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Defender (621) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Be happy your wife drinks craft beer. Or likes beer at all for that matter. My wife dislikes all beer.

Kerrie likes this.
  36. StarRanger

StarRanger Initiate (131) Nov 27, 2006 North Dakota

No one is saying drink it lukewarm, the flavors come out when at a cool temp that are not there when ice cold.

Give it to her cold, and save a bit in the fridge. Make her drink the IRS slow enough so it warms up to a cool temp and ask if she notices any difference. If she says it tastes the same, pull out that last bit from the fridge and have her compare the cool version vs the ice cold version.

YOU can not convince her, but you can put her in the position to convince herself.

Kerrie and jmw like this.
  37. tcblack4d

pretty good idea, i'll see if i can set that up

38. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2013 Wisconsin

why do you need to convince them? Just have them try both ways and decide for themselves.

denver10 likes this.
  39. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,423) Sep 18, 2010 Washington

This suggestion is clearly premised on a concept of mutual equality.

beertunes and tcblack4d like this.
  40. RobertColianni

RobertColianni Zealot (559) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania

This is the only correct response. Everyone else loses multiple internets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.