How to pour bomber and save rest for tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Umdrunner, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umdrunner

Umdrunner Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2015 Wisconsin

I occasionally save some beer for day 2 when I open a big high ABV beer such as a barrel aged RIS. I have used a wine stopper to seal my leftover beer, which has done a really nice job keeping the beer fresh.

My question is, how can I maximize the beer both day 1 and 2? To maximize day 2, I pour slow and gentle to limit oxidation, which affects head on day 1. Could I do something else to simulate an aggressive pour while limiting oxidation in remaining beer to be saved? Stir the beer once poured?

davidperez likes this.
  2. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (449) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Society Trader

Spray some wine preserver in the bottle. It's called Private Reserve Wine Preservation Spray, it's a blend of inert gasses that will push all the oxygen out and keeps opened wine bottles fresh for a week so should work for beer too.

Billet, davidperez and Gemini6 like this.
  3. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I keep a cork from a cork and cage bottle. I've whittled down the end that goes in the bottle and simply push it into the bottle for next day storage.

When I know I'll want to do that I keep the beer refrigerated and pour cold and immediately put in the cork and back it goes into the fridge. To get some head on a beer that first night, I sometimed decant the portion into a large size measuring cup, the do the aggressive pour from that cup into my glass.

So far the results have worked pretty well as far as having some carbonation the second night.

#3 drtth, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Number3red, Umdrunner and IceAce like this.
  4. MNJR

MNJR Disciple (367) Jun 28, 2008 Illinois

I'm not sure about how to help you simulate an aggressive pour, etc. But, for what it's worth and if anyone else can use this, this is an excellent way to split a bottle over two days...

http://*.com/shop/3-in-1-hermetus-bottle-opener-and-sealer

I'm using the insert link dialogue, but it seems to remove the domain name. Anyway search for: "monopol hermetus opener sealer"

tylerstravis, BuffaloBill12 and Ri0 like this.
  5. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,374) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

A cheap wine stopper works well. I do it all the time. Can get a week out of it. I like to savor beers, so two Pours is my preference if drinking one alone.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  6. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,592) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

I have successfully just used a wine stopper. This usually happens because I've opened a big beer on a Friday and finish it around noon the next day. It's less effective if I wait until evening.

7. mdr4669

mdr4669 Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

I use a folded piece of aluminum foil and put it over the top of the bottle, and then wrap a large rubber band around the aluminum foil and the neck of the bottle to keep air out.

upsbeernut likes this.
  8. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (276) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

mdr4669 has it right foil seal it tight then i use scotch tape . It works.

9. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Aspirant (276) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Exactly , i use it when i pop a 12 oz , that way i can have my own personal tasting everynight. i use foil and tape

10. stouts4everyone

stouts4everyone Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2016 Georgia

You could just finish the beer in one sitting? Domed a black tuesday the other night. no ragrets.

Zaphog, gibgink, charlzm and 15 others like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,885) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

To maximize the opportunity for a head on day #2 by giving a gentle pour on day #1 can create difficulty getting a head on day #1. To help with day #1 I start the pour using the normal method of easily down the side of the tilted glass, but as soon as I get past any chance of a 'glub' I set the glass flat and move the stream to the center of the glass and keep a thin stream (drizzle). Then, adding fall height to the pour will help generate foam, but you need a steady hand to keep the stream in the middle of the glass as you go higher. However, some high ABV beers are so still that it's impossible to get a head by any method.

mudbug likes this.
  12. davidperez

davidperez Aspirant (258) Dec 3, 2015 Mexico

Great thread, I had this doubt myself.

13. foundersasap

foundersasap Aspirant (291) Feb 2, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I've been wondering how to handle this as well. I'm going to try using a Grolsch bottle and see how the beer holds up over night. I know the growlers are pretty flat on day two.

14. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,718) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Another vote for the wine stopper, i pour 1 serving and put the stopper in and back in the fridge , second serving the next day is still good with a little less carbonation.

15. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Disciple (316) Apr 13, 2002 Georgia

Small piece of "press and seal wrap" and then push the bottle cap back down over it.

beerindaglass and Hophead21 like this.
  16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (12,660) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Agreed. Even though I would prefer that bombers, particularly ones with high ABV, did not exist - the reality is that they do. So - I wait for a quiet night when I know I won't be going anywhere, then drink half at a time over a couple of hours. I stopper the bottle and put it in the fridge inbetween. Or - if lower ABV, I'll fill my 20oz glass, take a picture for the forum, drink some, pour the rest and then go post. Just getting ready to crack a 32oz Mississippi Mud Black & Tan now.

17. mudbug

mudbug Defender (606) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Get a 5 gallon bucket put 1/2 inch water in the bottom, when you want to seal the bomber put it in the bucket and drop in a piece of dry ice into the water, two things will happen, the liquid in the bomber will get a super fast chill and the CO2 released from the evaporating dry ice will fill the bucket and displace almost all of the air in the bomber (CO2 is heavier than air) cap the bomber with whatever stopper you want to use.
    Let me know if this works, I've never had to try it.

18. chrisjws

chrisjws Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 California

Get a cheap bottle capper. It's very useful for things like this.

gibgink, counciloak, LarkinW and 4 others like this.
  19. WesMantooth

WesMantooth Poo-Bah (3,102) Jan 8, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I use the synthetic/rubber wine corks from my wife's empty bottles, or pour the remainder into a howler

20. Umdrunner

I have no problem sealing it for day 2. I have been successfully using a rubber wine stopper, what I'm most interested in solving is how to get a good pour/good head day 1 without killing my beer with oxygen for day 2.

21. Dunkelganger4

Dunkelganger4 Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2011 Colorado

I've always used the top from a good and empty whiskey bottle since it's already corked and can be shaved down to fit the bottle for a perfect fit

#21 Dunkelganger4, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    drtth likes this.
  22. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Deactivated

As other have mentioned, I find a good wine stopper works well. However, not all wine stoppers are created equally, as some work better then others. Of the few I have, the best one seems to keep most of the carbonation in the bottle the next day (having used it on several different bombers). I think once I may have tried keeping it unopened for 2 or 3 days and it still had decent carbonation. The best one I have is plastic with a metal flip-top.

After I seal it, I always check to make sure I can't move the stopper by trying to gently twist it, as sometimes it doesn't seem to seal properly.

#22 HopsAreDaMan, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  23. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

I have little 2$ wine stoppers I use. Mostly just to cork the bottle I between pours.. Pretty much a rubber cork. I've saved a few beers that I opened late and finished the next afternoon and noticed no difference in carb and taste..may vary by style tho.

24. lackenhauser

lackenhauser Poo-Bah (2,547) Dec 10, 2002 Maryland
    Society Trader

Get a bag of homebrew caps and a capper. Done. Or just admit you can't handle a whole bottle and get used to indulging the whole thing....:wink:

25. Umdrunner

I know how to seal the beer, that's not my question :wink:

26. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Deactivated

Perhaps this is obvious, but in terms of how to get good head when pouring it from a bomber the day after I have opened it, I simply agitate the beer in my glass (usually a small glass, perhaps 6 OZ or less). That seems to--at least temporarily--give it a nice head, and it stirs up things enough to get the aromas going again as well.

27. GetTheYayo

GetTheYayo Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

Open a bomber and save it for tomorrow? What's that? If I crack it, I drink it (or share it).

gibgink, charlzm, Badfish and 2 others like this.
  28. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

It's rare that I don't finish a bomber in one sitting, but when I have seconds or leftovers, I usually just leave it in the fridge without a wine stopper, I don't mind drinking a high ABV beer with low carbonation.

29. Beerleon

Beerleon Initiate (144) Oct 7, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Caps are cheap and a capper isn't too much! I do the same thing when I hold onto a beer past the first night.

30. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Drinking a bomber is a commitment...you have to commit!

That being said...

I never even thought of saving some for the next day? I guess you could use a Vacu vin like you do with wine?

mikeinportc and lackenhauser like this.
  31. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

That's what's up!
    Being the father of an infant, I can proudly say only babies should be allowed to nurse. The rest of us need to wear big boy pants and drink our beer!

32. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,614) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Go to your local homebrew supply shop and pick up a bottle capper and a bag of caps. Pour, recap, enjoy later.

33. Relik

Relik Initiate (101) Apr 20, 2011 Canada (NS)

Aside from recapping and using a wine stopper i don't see much other options. Maybe that Private Reserve Spray in conjunction with a clean cap or wine stopper could work well too (possibly cheaper to buy a Cream Whipper and box of chargers and use the same method.

Please don't stir your beer, sure it may look like you are producing a head but you are also knocking out remaining carbonation.

But i am in the camp of "If you crack it open, You consume it". Stretching a bottle 16-36 hours after opening isn't respecting the product in my eyes.
    I understand why you'd like to extend your enjoyment and your intentions are good but you are not doing yourself any favors in the long run.
    Bigger beers in smaller formats might be the way to go for you (i know it all comes back to bomber format sucks discussion), or you can share with others and consume the product in one sitting instead of resealing it.

but that is just my opinion, you do what you feel is best

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,108) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    I'd try holding the glass further away from the bottle and/or pouring with the glass at a straighter angle before I'd stir after the pour. Also, a colder beer will retain the CO2 better, so keep the bomber cold and wait for your beer to reach your desired serving temp after it's in the glass.
    Never heard of stirring the beer after a poor pour (though we've probably all seen the wait staff use a plastic stirrer to "revive" the head on a bad pour, too cold beer, or on a beer that sat too long at the wait station), but "knocking out" excess carbonation is what creates the head in the first place.

One of the positive aspects of what today is called an "aggressive pour" (but has always been recommended by many brewers) is to expel excess CO2.

35. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

Pour.
    Seal.
    Place in fridge.

Repeat.

36. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Most of the time anymore if I can't finish a bomber. I just plop it in open and it seems to still pour fine the next day. I may lose a few numbers for c02 volumes, but it's never so large a drop that it's shell of its former self.

37. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois

You invite people over. Then there is no need to save.

OscarO67, mikeinportc and Umdrunner like this.
  38. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

Is it just me or does this thread get posted about once per week?

mudbug and jrnyc like this.
  39. Beersnob724

Beersnob724 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2016 Ohio

Ditto

jrnyc likes this.
  40. CayseyW

CayseyW Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2013 Connecticut

I never thought to save a bomber past opening. Cool to know that it can be done, but not something I will probably ever try.

OscarO67 and emount91 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.