Humidity too high in my cellar?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by HeadyTheElder, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Disciple (384) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I recently converted a mini-fridge into a beer cellar. I just started checking the humidity and it is at 75%. Is this too high? Do I need to intervene?

2. aslamm75

aslamm75 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

From what I've read in the forums, 70-75% is perfect humidity with temp around 50-55 depending on the type of beer. My understanding is that a higher humidity will prevent corked beers from drying out, however as most beers are capped, this is not a problem. I too, have recently converted a fridge to a beer cellar but have had difficulty getting the humidity up. Currently running at 45%.

3. HeadyTheElder

HeadyTheElder Disciple (384) Nov 3, 2012 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

Ok, good to know. I knew it wasn't too low. I'm just wondering if it can be too high at some point.

I think it is as high as it is because my fridge "sweats" a little on the inside. Also, Louisiana is naturally pretty humid.

4. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

Stupid question, but what do you use to measure humidity in your fridge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.