Huna Day 2019-March 9, 2019

Discussion in 'US - South' started by SammyJaxxxx, Oct 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry Feb 9, 2017 Florida
    Trader

Is there a mobile app this year?

2. 1ofTheseKnights

1ofTheseKnights Dec 24, 2017 Florida

No. Just the site.

Freshly_Squeezed_Ry likes this.
  3. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Trader

Well that blows...

1ofTheseKnights and DogfishRyan like this.
  4. Bburns87

Bburns87 Jun 11, 2013 Illinois

Just use the almighty spreadsheet

timw007, Lapalou and 1ofTheseKnights like this.
  5. timw007

timw007 Jul 20, 2017 Florida

Which was just updated with some huge additions:

3 Floyds Marshmallow Handjee!
    3 Sons Lumberjack!
    The Answer Jinxy Cat
    Weldwerks Juicy Bits
    Some good 450 North Sours, plus an IPA and a stout

6. Bburns87

Oh jesus I can finally try handjee

timw007 and 1ofTheseKnights like this.
  7. tripelhops

tripelhops Apr 11, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

I'm ready for the roasting with the non beer question but are the any standouts with the food trucks there?

jloomis likes this.
  8. Pooles26

Pooles26 Nov 17, 2011 Connecticut

Only for VIPs, otherwise you’re screwed!

9. FrankenMiller

FrankenMiller Mar 5, 2014 Florida
    Trader

Not true.... your tickets comes with 4 tapas size portions from the myriad of food trucks that will be there. They also take case and card (at least lat yr). VIP or 12 bottle tickets get food in the vip tent.

Roguer likes this.
  10. Pooles26

Pooles26 Nov 17, 2011 Connecticut

I was joking.

FrankenMiller likes this.
  11. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Nothing stood out after drinking 3+ hours...but I was full and don't think I even used my last ticket.

Thirst_trappist likes this.
  12. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The ramen truck last year was really darn good. True story

Thirst_trappist and tripelhops like this.
  13. Sabtos

Sabtos Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I was totally fucked up by the time I ate last year. Nothing stood out except for when the pizza truck scorched my mouth with an ultra fresh out of the oven slice.

FrankenMiller likes this.
  14. Beer_Baron87

Beer_Baron87 Feb 15, 2019 Florida

You won’t be full but it gets the job done. Only two that I remember were the Philly Cheesesteak and I wanna say an Asian inspired chicken wing. Don’t remember the other two things I got but everything was good

15. asoper

asoper Mar 7, 2019

Have been to a few beer festivals, but never any of this size, curious how many beers people expect to be able to try? Or maybe someone actually kept a count from the previous year.

Also, any idea of a good place to hangout Friday night that won't be crazy (or that will but is worth going to)? Wanted to go to Hidden Springs while I was in Tampa, but looking for suggestions.

16. Joehio

Joehio Sep 7, 2016 Florida

You can try literally hundreds of beers if you just don’t stop drinking. I usually hit around 40. That being said in the past the “whales” will kick within the first hour so you’re looking at like 5 whales max if you don’t have friends helping.

Roguer likes this.
  17. The_FishermanJay

The_FishermanJay May 16, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

Thirst_trappist and HeartofMiami like this.
  18. asoper

asoper Mar 7, 2019

Anyway to identify the "whales"? I have heard a couple mentioned, but I honestly have no idea. I've gone through the spreadsheet and started marking which beers are my priority, but if I knew which ones people considered whales it would likely change it up a bit. Thanks!

19. LoonarEclipse

LoonarEclipse Feb 4, 2017 North Carolina

Don’t go into this seeking beers that others tell you to get. Trust me on this. You’ll have a way better time going for a wider array of things and not wasting time waiting in line all day. Go for the ones YOU want to try and sound appealing to YOU. If one of those that sounds appealing to you just happens to be a whale then by all means go for it. Just because it’s a whale or limited doesn’t mean it’s good and/or worth the price/wait. I promise you some of the under the radar tents will have stuff that surprises you and you’ll be glad you had the extra time to check them out.

20. lionelhutz23

lionelhutz23 Jul 21, 2014 Florida

I'm going to tell everyone a secret that not many people know. That stout you want to try from good brewery A likely tastes pretty damn close to that stout with the same variants from really good brewery B.

Really though if you haven't been whale hunting is dumb. Make a list of 2-3 beers that you definitely want to try and plan on hitting those right away then just walk up and down the line trying different beers.

I've been to Huna Day for 7 years now. Never once has the beer I had to have been the best beer I had that day. Almost every year it was something I did not have on my want to try list.

Also, if you're line waiting with friends. Send one buddy to other breweries with no wait and get a pour then bring them back. #Hunahack

Beer4B, 2_Beardz, LennyRubio and 10 others like this.
  21. Joehio

Joehio Sep 7, 2016 Florida

Agree with everyone said about whale hunting. The taste doesn’t always match the hype.

But what I meant by whales and what you might be asking is “I don’t really follow what hype beers are throughout the year so can you help tell me which beer on my list is going to run out the fastest?”

My answer to that off the top of my head is Henna from More, BA cupcake from AC (might last a little longer if people got their fill from super rad the day before and the past few years but probably not), the BA stouts from 3 Floyds and probably 3 Sons stouts. I’m sure there are more, but that’s just top of my head.

asoper likes this.
  22. Lapalou

Lapalou Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

The above is probably a good start, plenty of others, although AC will be crowded regardless. The hyped beers will have the longest lines immediately, so it's pretty easy to tell. But on your way to the first line, make sure to grab a pour from something with no line to try. Also, early in the day, if you get something that is mediocre or not great, don't slug it down, just dump it. The beer selection is so good that you don't need to finish the malty NE style IPA pours.

All the other comments are spot on.

LennyRubio, lionelhutz23 and Roguer like this.
  23. asoper

asoper Mar 7, 2019

Appreciate all of the solid suggestions!

I've always hated to dump beer but with sooo many options, absolutely going to do this if I find something I don't like.

24. Bburns87

Look at the untapped rating on the spreadsheet. My first stops will probably be three Floyds for handjee and more for henna double rainbow. 3 sons will have a massive line all day, same with angry chair

25. Freshly_Squeezed_Ry

Trader

The funny thing is, "massive line" means less than 5 minutes in my experience. With the exception of my first pour last year (Assassin) I can't remember waiting longer than 5 minutes or so.

lionelhutz23, Lapalou and Roguer like this.
  26. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

....just remember the best beers are the ones you didn't try. Fomo makes it all taste better lol

27. wxmanify

wxmanify Jun 26, 2017 Colorado
    Trader

Have any beers been timed releases in previous years or is everything always ready to pour from the start?

28. Lapalou

Lapalou Dec 21, 2014 Florida
    Trader

There have been some in the past. 3 sons used to do this and weldworks 1 year. It has not been great in the past as lines start to build and get confusing.

Not sure how this will work this year since the news is that Ccb asked breweries to bring double the amount of a couple beers. But there are breweries like Wakefield that bring more types of beer than taps they have and so while it’s not a timed release, they just tap when something kicks, expect that the beers listed may not be available immediately at open.

29. lionelhutz23

Started doing that a couple of years ago. Beer not good? Dump it. Don't burn yourself out drinking a crappy beer.

Also, good rule to follow is don't go stout overload. After about 15 of them they all taste exactly the same and your palate it ruined by then. Additionally, you're so drunk you won't even remember it anyways.

Also agree on lines not being that long. Last year the longest I waited was 3 Sons but they were awesome and went down the line pouring for people while they waited.

30. Cam1221

Cam1221 Apr 28, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Bummed tickets sold out. In the past anyone see people selling a ticket at the fest? Thinking about testing my luck

31. joon2007

joon2007 Dec 15, 2017 Florida

Anybody tell me where’s Toppling Goliat’s booth? Couldnt find it at A28

Lucoli likes this.
  32. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

We need water

johnyb likes this.
  33. Sphilups

Sphilups Dec 15, 2016 Florida

How’s it going? Comparison to previous years?

34. GameFreac

GameFreac Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

Finally got water

Short bathroom lines

Better than last year

HossUF likes this.
  35. lionelhutz23

Bathroom lines shorter. Hotter than last year. Had just a good of time.

2019 Huna and huna variants were the worst beers I had today.

36. TBlightning

TBlightning Jan 14, 2013 Florida

Speaking of which, wish they would sell $100 tickets to enjoy the festival without the Huna bottles. Reason I haven’t went past couple years.

37. LoonarEclipse

LoonarEclipse Feb 4, 2017 North Carolina

They know what they’re doing haha

38. Bburns87

The Cubano espresso xquics was phenomenal at least

2_Beardz, HossUF, Scope4Beer and 3 others like this.
  39. jloomis

jloomis Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

I agree that beer was spectacular. Proofs Key Lime Evil Kiss was great as well and it won Best Beer. Well run this year for sure. Also smart idea to sell wide brim straw hats, the sun was in full force today.

40. NoMoreBeerBelly

NoMoreBeerBelly Dec 2, 2009 North Carolina

Besides the heat today, the whole weekend was better for us. Smaller crowds everywhere we went. Huna day was great and an improvement over last year

HossUF and jloomis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.