Hunahpu's Day is back! March 14, 2015

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by HopsJunkiedotcom, Sep 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ca42

Ca42 Initiate (84) Aug 15, 2014 Florida
    Trader

This WAS going to be my 1st hunahpu outing. However the limited availability and high price might just put that in the crapper. Had a friend going,but think the high price might scare him off too.

2. MagnificentPiece

MagnificentPiece Initiate (28) Aug 5, 2013 Florida

#realmath - you got refunded your $50, so you only spend $60. And you assume he actually paid for the entry. There were about half of the people there that didn't. Or so it seemed by the huger than expected crowd.

Deltoro and Hopzilla like this.
  3. SixThousandDollars

SixThousandDollars Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Florida

I love that Ive never read a single admission of anyone sneaking or scamming their way into the fest last year, but I feel like Ive read so many more than 3500 genuine accounts of what a shitty day it was. The bottle issue sucked, but I had a great time, tried so many amazing beers, and finally saw some of my FLA beer buddies.

edit: Ill go again if I can afford it and can snag a ticket. For a dude from Cleveland, it is a tropical beer oasis.

4. chardlogic

chardlogic Aspirant (229) Feb 18, 2011 Florida
    Trader

What if the extra $ tacked on is a deceptive way of them recouping their refunds?

UcDru likes this.
  5. mxracercam

mxracercam Disciple (361) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania

why would they do it this way? they could just sell more tickets for less to avoid suspicion.

6. dkw0063

dkw0063 Disciple (366) Dec 1, 2012 Texas

My problem. What are we paying extra for? Minus the cost of Huna the tickets are $120. So $70 more than last year. What are we getting for that? A fest that runs like it was already supposed to? So if my math is correct with out the cost of Huna ccb will be making somewhere in the $65,000 more than last year with less people attending this year. And sounds like a bottle share might not even be allowed with the no cooler policy.

I will go back to lurking and hopefully my math is right. I would be fine with the cost if we were getting a bunch more huna, or maybe something else. Just seams a lot, when other great events are a lot cheaper. Like WTF and others.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  7. raytek

raytek Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Florida

$200 does seem a little hefty. The difference from last year is $70 more for all you can eat food and a carrying bag. Nobody is gonna eat that much food. I get it, less people, a little more expensive makes it more enjoyable. Still.

Really not trying to bitch, love CCB just looking at the breakdown.

^edit.. I see we had the same thought process lol

8. dkw0063

dkw0063 Disciple (366) Dec 1, 2012 Texas

yeah I am just looking at the money. I did not eat there last year. The time was not really a good time to eat. And was busy having too much fun at the shares going on. Also since you only get 1 ticket you might have to travel alone. More cost on Hotel.

9. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2012 Florida

I was able to score 2 bottles of Huna last year due to the kindness of others. CCB ran out last year while I was in line. With the refund I only spent $40. I couldnt even find the food trucks due to the lines , so I didnt eat.

Maybe that's the only way to do this...maybe this will work out great for the folks that want to dish out the cash and be there the minute tickets go on sale. After two failed years, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

We will see how Buddha fairs tomorrow.

10. kjrod20

kjrod20 Disciple (380) Jul 16, 2005 New York

I get the money complaints, but generally beer fests are $50-75, without including food. Include that and the 4 bottles of Huna and it's not that far off.

When you first read $200, it's sounds pretty ridiculous, but when you add up the pieces, it makes sense.

riemster and zookerman182 like this.
  11. corby112

corby112 Poo-Bah (3,910) Nov 19, 2008 Pennsylvania

Not true. In 2011 or 2012 (can't remember) they sold bottles of papaya IPA, Bohr and Dirac (all previously unavailable). They were also selling pre filled growlers of limited stuff too.

12. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,408) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I love this idea. Best thing to that could happen to huna day.

I hope they put a fence around the entire place though and not let the ditch serve as a natural barrier.

Beerly-Departed likes this.
  13. joshodonn

joshodonn Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2011 Florida

According to this article on TBO.com, they are only bottling enough to give to the 2000 attendees: http://tbo.com/news/business/cigar-city-brings-back-hunahpu-beer-festival-in-march-20150109/?page=1

so I assume that means no extras will be sold.

I for one am fine with the $200 price. And I agree there will NOT be 1500 tickets sold to El Cat member. Someone has to stay home with the kids so my wife will not be going and she has a membership. I just hope that CCB uses some of the extra funds to, as already mentioned, put up some sort of fence perimeter, and hire enough security folks to ensure no a$$holes are trying to sneak in/over/through/under said fence.

I am somewhat bummed by the no cooler aspect, but it certainly won't keep me away... I have enjoyed the many bottle shares at the last few years events, and also always enjoyed being able to pull out a bottle to crack and pass around while standing in line for the pours.

14. djben

djben Initiate (48) Sep 4, 2013 Florida

Look at my earlier post about what you're paying extra for. Fewer people, less time waiting, includes bottles of Huna, hopefully not having to camp out in front of the place to avoid a 2 hour wait to get in, etc.

Saying that $200 for Hunahpu day is for the rich and fanatical is about one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

Plenty of people flew in for the event, took time off work, booked hotels, etc -- the actual Huhnapu day ticket is only a small part of their expense, and will still be only a slightly larger chunk in 2015 -- I don't think it means they are rich or fanatical, they just really like beer and place a lot of value on the experience.

Did you SEE how many people wanted to go last year? Did you read all the posts on this thread about what happened when they had $50 tickets and let in gobs of people? I was there. It was not pretty.

What do you want cigar City to do? Not even have the event, or just price it down to $50, limit it to 2000 people, and lose a whole bunch of money just because you think $200 for a day of having the most amazing beer in the country is too much money?

Screw the people who will value the things I mentioned above and pay $200 for an awesome experience. Screw CC and their business decision to go forward having a higher priced and exclusive event -- $50 or bust!

Sometimes I forget this is the internet, and a beer forum at that. Logic? Reasoning? They have no place here.

#254 djben, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    CGMLS3, basto, solo103 and 3 others like this.
  15. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (292) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

My bad, I forgot about those bottles in 2011 (not the BA release) it wasn't 2012. 2011 seems like another time and place when it comes to beer now, I always viewed Huna as the special release, Papya IPA and the others were just more stuff available in the cooler. Back then the cooler always had different things, and they lasted quite some time. Even Leon lasted close to a month. I was more referring to BA beers as that appeared to be the original question I was addressing. My point as stated previously was that Huna IS the special beer of the day and that last years El Cat leftovers hasn't been the norm, and I can't imagine a DL Day type lottery system this year or even El Cat to be finished by then. I can't imagine them throwing anything else into the mix this year that could potentially piss people off either, they really want (need) this year to go smooth.

corby112 likes this.
  16. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (336) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

This is basically my issue. They're charging a LOT, as in, more than any other festival in the country, and you really get nothing extra for your extra money, just promises of a better run festival. Using their own shitty planning in past years to justify an exorbitant price this year doesn't really work. This can be done properly without the price jack; that's just happening because they can. And even though it may be worth it in the end, excuse me if I have just a little trepidation about CCB's ability to deliver on that $200 experience.

17. mxracercam

mxracercam Disciple (361) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania

Ehhh... $80 in guaranteed bottles... $50 in beer tasting (going by last year's rate), leaves $70 more for food and potentially 1/3 of the morons to deal with (not you guys, ya'll are cool). I'll happily pay it.

18. jloomis

jloomis Aspirant (292) Jan 6, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Don't forget the bag, you get a bag.

19. TampaRainman

TampaRainman Devotee (427) Feb 17, 2014 Florida
    Trader

ISO: Hunapurse

A glass too, right? That's like at least $40 right there. :slight_smile:. Dial-o-matic food slicer for the first 50 through the gates?

UcDru, mxracercam, Jshari223 and 2 others like this.
  20. rhino4evr

Oh shut up Brian.

21. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (610) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

I'm an El Catador member and can say with condifence there is no way I can make it. There are now officially 501 tickets available to the general public

22. Seth_Mansfield

Seth_Mansfield Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2014 Florida

I can't believe people are complaining about the price. The tickets will sell out almost instantly. Demand still significantly exceeds supply. The tickets could be $300 and tickets would still sell out the day they went on sale...

pieman396 likes this.
  23. Lansman

Lansman Aspirant (252) Mar 19, 2011 Missouri
    Trader

Dark Lord Day tickets were $37.50 after fees last year and many people claim they are well into six figures in cash (no credit cards) and the event for the most part is put on without a hitch. Resorting to charging $200 up front could ultimately be costing CCB much more in revenue from people now not attending over the weekend, spending money in the brewpub, at the event, etc. Consult with FFF, charge less, be more organized, and nearly everyone wins.

24. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,408) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I'm guessing around 700 el.cat tickets will be sold, if that.

25. BeerTheater

BeerTheater Initiate (0) Oct 18, 2012 Florida

I have no problem with the price as it seems reasonable considering what you get and a less crowded event, but I don't understand why members can't at least get a +1. Who goes to a festival solo? You know those remaining tickets will be near impossible to get. Also, less Huna available to take home bums me out too. I have a feeling those who do attend will have an opportunity at some pleasant suprises, but if not, i'm sure the experience will be more than worth it...if...a friend or spouse gets lucky to get a ticket to accompany you.

rhino4evr and djben like this.
  26. Zhillsgator

Zhillsgator Initiate (188) Jan 10, 2014 Florida

I am happy to pay more for a better experience. I routinely pay as much as $75 for VIP tickets to other beer fests. Combine the cost of the Huna bottles and then I am paying $50 more for food, comfort and the best tap list I can find. If they were really off with the price then the tickets won't sell quickly....anybody think they won't sell out immediately??

djben likes this.
  27. wesbourne

wesbourne Aspirant (211) Dec 27, 2013 Florida

4 bottles of Huna for sure, no mention of if those are regular versions of Huna or 1-2 bottles in the set could be barrel aged or a variant?

Personally I'm probably the minority in that I agree with the new format and find it a fantastic deal given what's included, most limited releases are increasing in price so what's to say $25 per bottle wouldn't be the price this year, $200 with no tokens isn't far off.

djben likes this.
  28. Gtreid

Gtreid Crusader (762) Mar 27, 2008 Florida

Man, I love this!! This will be reminiscent of Huna day 2010. Don't have to deal with douches, no long lines for pours, can relax, drink, and chat without having to throw bones! Sorry others don't think this is a phenomenal idea, I guess you should just get in line for the next catador sign up! I will gladly pay $125 extra for this!

pieman396 and djben like this.
  29. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (336) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

Look, if this ends up being short lines and I drink a ton of awesome beer, don't have to fight crowds, and eat quality food for my $120 ticket price, I will be a happy camper. But am I really the only one having the slightest doubt about how this pans out? Limiting it to (allegedly) 2,000 people isn't an automatic guarantee that the festival turns out great. I truly hope it does, just saying $120 is a pretty big ask for a brewery with their track record on festival promotion.

30. rhino4evr

Flying to a beer festival is the epitome of fanatical. Which is fine, this is obviously a beer forum, filled with fanatics. I'm just saying there is a line. It's kind of sad to see Hday turn into a "beer geek only" festival, instead of something more geared towards locals. The brewery is just too popular, thats a good problem to have , I guess

31. joshodonn

Oh, there will still be PLENTY of douches there. Have you seen some of the El Cat members? I mean I for one am a saint but there are plenty of douche canoes in the club. There will still be an insane amount of line cutting and general asshole-ary that occurs anytime there are more than a few dozen people at an event, especially for the rare CCB stuff and highly sought after guest beers.

CGMLS3 and markgugs like this.
  32. outsidah

outsidah Initiate (55) Feb 6, 2011 Florida

Well now that the $150 turned out to be wrong in favor of $200 we can all be happy! Oh wait...

Honestly $200 is a big pill to swallow for me personally for a couple of reasons... one of which is I can't take the SO (who I introduced to the hobby and lived through last year's "festival" with me) unless I get another ticket which will cost me another $200. Yes I can leave her at home and she'll be fine, but she's my become my partner in crime for these things! We had a great time last year at Cajun Sour Fest & Beer Camp.

That aside, if I were going on my own, it's still $120 for a beer festival. I get they are popular and they do indeed make some great brews, but damn that's a lot. I've got to other events for popular beer co's and I've never had to pay that much.

rightcoast7 likes this.
  33. joshodonn

Am I the only one who is happy that I DON'T have to take my wife thanks to the high cost?

34. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

You will be getting 4 bottles (had they gone to distro that would be 25$ a bottle , so there's 100$, Glass , Bag, free food and unlimited pours. So with bottles and pours thats 150$ add food to that and it about 200$ . Your paying like 25 more $'s to not have a ton of people there.

35. outsidah

outsidah Initiate (55) Feb 6, 2011 Florida

I don't have to take her, but I want to take her :slight_smile: If I were dragging her there, I wouldn't care leaving her behind but I know she actually enjoys these things which is why I feel bad.

Hey, more power to you if you feel it's justified. I still think there will be some morons, just nowhere near what we saw last year. We got a glass included last year with the $50 btw.

36. johnyb

johnyb Defender (685) Aug 11, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I can't wait until the day they start selling "line jumper" passes like Disney and Universal do. Sign me up.

37. solo103

solo103 Disciple (330) Apr 8, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Thats why I didnt add the glass to the price. I included it in the 50$ . We didnt get a bag last year either(not that thats a big deal, also why I didnt include it in the price).

38. Corbet

Corbet Initiate (172) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan

I make my girlfriend pay for her own tickets to beer events...

39. Gtreid

Gtreid Crusader (762) Mar 27, 2008 Florida

Can I like this more than once?

evilcatfish and johnyb like this.
  40. SudsSavant

SudsSavant Aspirant (243) Jan 9, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

As an outsider looking in at this, I can't think of very many festivals outside of GABF that are bringing this level of breweries together into one spot...and the main point of the event is to release a beer! For as many people that are complaining and balking at the cost, I can think of many other people who would drop $200 for a festival with this lineup if it was in their area and that's not taking into account taking home some bottles with them either. If you told me I had a day with Cascade, Jackie O's, Revolution, Toppling Goliath, 3 Floyds,...etc. that were all going to be in one spot near me with a managed crowd and unlimited pours, I would give serious thought to plunking down my cash. Heck, I'm close to that cost now just to taste the best Minnesota has to offer!

Love it or hate it, this is capitalism in action folks! And with that, I'll crawl back to the Midwest forums again... :slight_smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.