Hundreds lose their driving licenses during Oktoberfest e-scooter mayhem

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/oktoberfest-police-report-scli-intl-grm/index.html

Houlio_99, Zorro, Shanex and 4 others like this.
  2. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Defender (638) Dec 12, 2014 California

Sounds good to me

Zorro, mambossa and BuffaloBill12 like this.
  3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (664) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Taking away licenses or natural selection for drunk scooter operators running into cars are both good solutions to the issue.

Zorro likes this.
  4. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (74) Mar 16, 2018 District of Columbia

E-Scooters are a plague on the urban landscape of all cities and a menace to pedestrian transportation. I’m glad this happened.

5. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (225) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Don't see them a whole lot where I live (Phoenix west valley) but I went to Santa Monica earlier this year and dear God, they were fucking EVERYWHERE!
    And they're really annoying

troobie, Zorro and Shanex like this.
  6. alert

alert Initiate (23) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

I think we all agree drunk driving is bad but does using a scooter even require a drivers license? There should be some punishment for what they did but assuming you don't need a drivers license to operate a scooter then I don't think seizing their drivers license is the proper punishment. If you *do* need a drivers license to use one of those scooters I think this is appropriate.

officerbill and pinyin like this.
  7. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

You don't need a driver's license to drive a lawnmower but you can get a DUI on one. Same with a horse, bycycle or even a a scooter. Also same with four wheelers and snowmobiles.

#7 FatBoyGotSwagger, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  8. davida1225

davida1225 Initiate (72) Oct 16, 2013 Maryland

Excellent point.

9. alert

alert Initiate (23) Aug 20, 2019 Georgia

Does getting a DUI riding a horse of lawn mower usually result in the loss of your drivers license? Those seem like really random laws that are only relevant in a tiny part of the country.

My state requires you to be in the physical control of an automobile to get a DUI.

10. FatBoyGotSwagger

Getting a DUI will have the same impact on your driver's liscense upon conviction for any and all modes or transportation.

What seems harsh about this is if I recall I will admit I'm no expert on German law but; definitely DUI in a crash is like a lifetime liscense ban in Germany. Not sure about these scooter charges.

alert likes this.
  11. bleezylovesbeer

bleezylovesbeer Initiate (15) Jul 13, 2019 South Dakota

Don’t quote me on this but I hear that Germany is very strict about operating under the influence and one DUI will get you banned from driving for life?

alert and FatBoyGotSwagger like this.
  12. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,373) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

I have absolutely no knowledge on German laws regarding e-scooters but truth be told, I don’t either about my own country for a reason: they have been around cities for only a couple years and the justice here still hasn’t legislated about them.

As @EmperorBatman stated, they are a plague in cities, and the mayors are looking for a solution for the safety of their drivers and even more so the pedestrians.

What did the people at Oktoberfest thought? Probably that riding an e-scooter while being wasted wouldn’t be « dangerous » and they would neither kill themselves or someone and not even be pulled over by the Polizei.

Something needs to be done about that.

EmperorBatman likes this.
  13. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Poo-Bah (3,040) Feb 22, 2013 Ohio

In Ohio at least you can not get a DUI on a horse, or a Bicycle. Its operating a motor vehicle while impaired, a horse nor a bicycle have motors.

14. FatBoyGotSwagger

With a bicycle in Ohio they don't call it DUI.. but OVI carries the same penalties so it's the same thing.

NeroFiddled and SomethingClever like this.
  15. lester619

lester619 Devotee (467) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Shit that just sounds like an average downtown weekend here. Those things are asinine. They zoom in and out of traffic, on and off the sidewalk, no one is paying attention to anyone else and everyone who is scooting walking or driving is drunk. How you you don't hear about 50 people a day being killed on those things is a miracle.

beertunes and Shanex like this.
  16. MWInfidel

MWInfidel Initiate (0) May 23, 2019

414 people caught riding an e-scooter, how did they do that, were they all clowns.

17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Defender (664) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

If a total of 414 people were caught riding an e-scooter while under the influence, and 254 lost their driving licenses as a result, and in 32 cases, police patrols intervened to prevent drunk driving, how many people would have lost their licenses if the police had NOT intervened?

18. SomethingClever

Ohio Revised Code 4511.01(A) "Vehicle" means every device, including a motorized bicycle and an electric bicycle, in, upon, or by which any person or property may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except that "vehicle" does not include any motorized wheelchair, any electric personal assistive mobility device, any personal delivery device as defined in section 4511.513 of the Revised Code, any device that is moved by power collected from overhead electric trolley wires or that is used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, or any device, other than a bicycle, that is moved by human power.

I still believe they mean motorized, I've personally never seen anyone get a DUI on a bicycle. I'm sure it can be possible, just dont have the right attorney and a lot of bad things can happen to you.

FatBoyGotSwagger and lester619 like this.
  19. lester619

I knew an old guy who rode his lawnmower to the bar so he wouldn't have to drive drunk again. He's dead now.

#19 lester619, Oct 8, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,464) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

You forgot powerboat.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  21. SomethingClever

I knew a guy who drug his brother behind him for 2 miles on a tractor after they left the bar. They are both dead.

HorseheadsHophead and lester619 like this.
  22. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

They're all over the place around here. Near all of the local colleges and universities they are like sidewalk litter. They are dangerous enough mixing in with traffic, not to mention mixing with a belly full of beer. They do need better regulation or they should be banned for good.

alucard6679 likes this.
  23. lester619

Dark.

24. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

What if you are riding a drunk horse?

25. SomethingClever

If you are riding any type of animal, be it horse or otherwise you are probably from West Virginia. Your sister probably isn’t safe either.

Scrapss, dcotom, dennis3951 and 2 others like this.
  26. lester619

I've done that.

27. SomethingClever

It was an accident they were drunk and he couldn’t hear him yelling, it didn’t help he crushed one of his lungs when he ran over him and started to drag him. They died years later though.

HorseheadsHophead and lester619 like this.
  28. lester619

Oh shit that was a true story?

29. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

One would think that it would be quite easy to ban these things, or simply not allow them in the first place, they have only been around for a very short while in Germany and are an absoulte pest already.

But why would they do that if they are generating such fantastic income in fines?

30. SomethingClever

Yep, the one with the crushed lung went to prison a decade later for gross sexual imposition of a minor, the other one continued to drink himself to death while he rode his bicycle back and forth to the carry-out picking up cans along the way. Wow, I brought that story full circle. It’s all about the bicycles.

stevepat, dcotom, Jaycase and 4 others like this.
  31. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (721) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

In Columbus Oh I have been told people are tossing them in the river and vandalizing them due to being such an annoyance.

Enjoy

Scrapss and lester619 like this.
  32. lester619

It's a lovely story and you told it well. It really made me connect with the alcoholic pedophile with the tractor on his lungs. Great job.

33. SomethingClever

I just hope I inspired you never to drive an e scooter, that’s the real moral, that’s what Harry and Jesse died for.

34. lester619

Oh yeah, e scooters I fucking hate those things.

SomethingClever likes this.
  35. MJS08

MJS08 Disciple (317) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Society

Alex Karras knew how to handle drunk horses. I don't know what he would think of e scooters.

eppCOS, beertunes and lester619 like this.
  36. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,727) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I had never heard of e-scooters before this article. :neutral_face:

37. rgordon

rgordon Savant (973) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Yeah, but early on they had great potential. Maybe they had some bad friends that led them astray. Really though, that's an awful legacy. The scooters are a scourge that young folks seem to love, despite the danger.

38. dennis3951

dennis3951 Savant (919) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Now that is uncalled for!!! LOL

39. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (121) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Don't drink wine and do the crime if you can't do the time equine.

40. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

The reasons for crossing Oktoberfest off my bucket list just keep piling up...