Huntsville, AL

Discussion in 'South' started by Syracuse12, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syracuse12

Syracuse12 Disciple (362) Aug 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I think I'm taking a trip in 2 weeks down to Huntsville, AL for work. Any good places to buy beer to bring home, and good places to drink beer while I'm there? While I'm seeking recommendations, is there a good area to stay in that isn't too far from good places to drink good beer?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Signed, A Northerner

2. joshodonn

joshodonn Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2011 Florida

3. Buff0910

Buff0910 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2013 Alabama

Straight to Ale taproom and the Nook are the two biggies. There is also Blue Pants Brewery and Yellowhammer Brewery. I don't stay up that way so can't give you hotel info but definitely check out those places I listed.

Syracuse12 likes this.
  4. Ariz

Ariz Initiate (0) May 2, 2009 Alabama

5. Ariz

As for places to stay, if you want zero driving the best bet is the Homewood Suites or Spring Hill Suites at Providence Main. The Mellow Mushroom there always has a good craft selection with a good sampling of the local brews. There a couple of other restaurants that will have some craft beers too.

The Embassy Suites and some other new chain hotel I can't remember are close to downtown with several bars and a brewpub. Maybe a little long walking distance for some but it's doable.

Anywhere else you'll need to account for having to drive. Huntsville isn't a pedestrian friendly town. Any of the places on Madison Blvd. in the city of Madison will be relatively close to Blue Pants and the Stem and Stein, two of my favorites in the area.

6. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

STA (open 3-10) and Blue Pants (hours vary) tap rooms; they usually have food trucks hanging around.

The Nook is out of my price range and the food is basic, but they do have a larger selection than any bar in the area. Drake's has a tap takeover most Wednesdays and you can occasionally find something special. Below the Radar brews their own stuff (which I haven't tried) and has a bigger craft selection than Drake's, but they're also a little pricey for me. Mellow Mushroom and Sam & Greg's (both pizza places) have local brews.

Liquor Express looks sketchy as shit from the outside and is a pretty small building, but they've got the best selection of any retailer here. For the past few months they've been updating their tap list, new inventory, sales, etc. regularly on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Liquor-Express/109794525718106?fref=ts. Earth Fare also has a decent selection and is a good place to grab some food.

barleywinefiend and Syracuse12 like this.
  7. STKPICR0720

STKPICR0720 Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Alabama

Liquor Express is the best package retailer in Huntsville. The Nook and Drake's are great bars. I seem to believe if you can get it directly from the brewery go there. Straight to Ale, Blue Pants have tasting rooms. Also Yellowhammer just opened there's and is a must that you hit up. Enjoy the brews and lets us know what you thought.

8. Syracuse12

Trader

Thanks everyone for some great info. I will definitely hit some of these places if I end up there...looking pretty likely now. June 18-20.

9. Ariz

I think you can scratch off Wish You Were Beer for those dates. I just walked by there and I doubt they'll be up and running then.

The Nook is the place to go if you can only pick one.

10. analienacorn

analienacorn Initiate (119) Dec 3, 2011 Florida

I just visited Huntsville for the first time last weekend for a Westbrook tap takeover at Below the Radar and was really impressed with the draught and bottle list there, and with the growler fill options and bottle selection at Liquor Express. Get some Blue Pants Bourbon BA Wee Heavy and STA Unobtanium if you can, but I hear it's hard to come by up that way. There is plenty in Birmingham if you travel a little further!

11. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

First rule of Huntsville Beer Club is you do not pass up Unobtanium
    Second rule of Huntsville Beer Club is you do not pass up Unobtanium

sommersb likes this.
  12. Buff0910

Uno is gone here. I bought the last 2 bottles I saw. BP wee heavy is still around though.

13. Syracuse12

Trader

I'm off to Huntsville tomorrow. Looking forward to checking out some of your suggestions. Thanks everyone.

14. Syracuse12

Trader

Guys, liquor express is incredible. Thanks for recommendation. Fell in love with the store and the people who work there. Went to Blue pants and deciding to where to go tonight. Did I say Liquor Express was amazing?

Dracarys and xxcarpxx like this.
  15. Buff0910

Go to straight to ale for sure. Then drive down to Birmingham later this week for Good People, Cahaba, Avondale and hit up Hop City. It's worth the hour and a half-two hour drive.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  16. Syracuse12

Trader

I didn't get to Straight to Ale, but I did try Monkeynaut. I also brought home Unobtanium and Gorillanaut. I went to Below the Radar, which was a cool place, really liked the bartenders.

Overall had a good trip. Really surprised by the quality of beer available. Only beer I wasn't a big fan of was Yellowhammer's Dark Hammer.

xxcarpxx likes this.
  17. harperman69

harperman69 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2009 Tennessee

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip. Huntsville really is a diamond in the rough and the beer culture is only getting better. I like to think of it as a growing Asheville.

18. Nichole12

Nichole12 Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Georgia

Where's the best place to stay for walking distance to most places in the aforementioned posts?

19. Syracuse12

Trader

I'm the OP, and only spent 2 days in Huntsville, so I'm no expert, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere that is in walking distance of anything. The only thing I could really suggest is staying in the Embassy Suites/Holiday Inn and walking to Below the Radar. Otherwise everywhere else is a drive.

20. bramsdell

bramsdell Aspirant (230) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

Nothing is really walkable. I moved before Below the Radar, but you are really going to need to rent a car and watch yourself or just call for cabs (which can be easier said than done).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.