Hyped beers that didn't live up to the hype

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CruisaC, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

you hit the nail on the head... at those prices....
    And I really don't mind shelling out $$ for good beer. but I get grumpy when I feel like $ are being tossed into a well.
    Never really thought about the boozy vs acetone before. that is spot-on. it's the acetone that's off-putting.

as for 120 min, it's a nonstarter for me. That beer made me realize that I simply don't like hoppy beers over 12%. They lose their refreshing character at that point.

2. NateF90

NateF90 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Connecticut

By my BA ratings at the low end: Founders Big Luscious and the Nøgne Ø Sweet Horizon - The former was a total drainpour, the latter I might try again if not on my dime. Dunno whether it's because stouts in general aren't my favorite, or because I had them at the end of sessions involving Saint Bon Chien and 2012 Oude Gueuze Tilquin respectively...

3. The_ale_scale

The_ale_scale Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2014

Pliny, sculpin, (reg) narwhal

IPAandGreenChile likes this.
  4. Shluffy

Shluffy Aspirant (212) Aug 19, 2013 Wisconsin

Zombie Dust for me. It was definitely good, but its not worth the trouble it takes to get. PsuedoSue on the other hand I feel is worth the trouble

2ellas likes this.
  5. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

If it is really tasty and I enjoy it, then it is never a letdown, because I usually end up craving it the next day, hence the ensuing of hype. People usually want their minds blown any time a beer creates hype. But they can't please everybody.

But hopslam, nugget nectar, abyss, Westvleteren 12. I dunno... standard offerings in my opinion.

There are just so many great new beers out there that I'm happy supporting upcoming businesses than trading away my fortunes for a has-been.

6. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Here in the South Bay I'm able to head down there pretty frequently and have their barrel aged saisons every so often (west Ashley a few times, and even Westly on tap as well), and I always feel their beers are very clean, well made, almost safe, if that makes any sense, but still extremely refreshing and drinkable, but nothing that knocks my socks off.

However, during beer week I had west Ashley again on tap and LOVED it. They also have a new series of beers coming out called "fruit punch" that tastes like a fruit punch sour. Tons of fruit flavors, red in color to boot. So look out for that on the trade forums the next couple of weeks (the owner told me it was going into bottle soon, so idk).

7. Keffa

Keffa Defender (610) Jan 8, 2009 Ohio

Westy 12 was far from a standard offering, IMO.

Hopslam, well, I'll give you that one, although, I'm blessed to what DIPA's I now have available to me, compared to when I first started drinking hoppy stuff a few years back.

Nugget Nectar... Well, I think it's a great beer. The Double Dry Hopped Unfiltered version was literally hop candy in a glass. So I don't get that one either.

Abyss, I'll agree with you on 100%. It is NOWHERE near as good of a beer as the hype behind it. Is it good? Yes, but not worth going out of the way to get one.

Now for my turn, and I know this will piss some people off, but Black Tuesday and Dark Lord are my 2 picks. Both hyped to hell and back, and both were terrible, in the multiple times I've had both. By this point, I should just say I hate both and not subject myself to either, but I try them every time they are available, just to try to see the point of view from all the fans. So far, I think the fans are in delusional land.

8. hopley

hopley Poo-Bah (1,889) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Grapefruit Sculpin' tops the list for me.

9. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,126) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

All these posts saying Abyss, and I just had my first bottle of that and enjoyed it immensely. The barrel aspect was subtle and added depth, rather than a massive blast of "here have some bourbon with a tinge of beer", and the notes from the wine and cherry bark provided complexity.

Of course, I am the guy who posted that Bomb! seemed to be just a couple flavors cranked to 11 to blast faces off, so there's that.

Palates are crazy things.

10. VTR

VTR Aspirant (286) Jul 20, 2014 Florida

Yeah, I lived there but like I said I was just getting into craft. I was just going about my business, trying different things, and doing some learning. I certainly wasn't on this site, heck, I didn't even know this site existed!

11. CraigTravor

CraigTravor Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2013 California

Dark Lord... it was too sweet.

12. iTunesUpdates

iTunesUpdates Initiate (0) May 7, 2014 Florida

Please don't shoot me...
    Did not - Hopslam did not live up to the hype for me. I was looking for so much more when opening my first bottle.
    Did - FBS and Pliny, So delish. Pick up as much as I can.

13. dank203

dank203 Zealot (537) May 21, 2012 New Jersey

I didn't think heady topper was...amazing but not the best...I liked abner a lot better. also had bourbon barrel aged plead the 5th and wasn't super impressed

14. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (194) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Hey thanks for the response. I was actually down for SF beer week and had West Ashley, Fruit Punch, and Nona's blend #7 on tap.

West Ashley was good, Fruit Punch was good just not as good as West Ashley (though I'm more bias to stone fruits usually). Both tasted thin and singular if that makes any sense.

Nona's blend was a thing of beauty though - awesome beer.

I think I just equated them to de Garde - and in terms of style they both live in the same sphere. But for how cheap de Garde is and how complex and fruit forward their Bus are, i just know which one I would chose if I had a choice.

Edit: I feel like a complete asshole critiquing SARA like this.

Make no mistake - delicious beers but my expectations were the highest that it could have been. If my expectations were at 10, they hit at a 9.

#494 TheeWalrusHunter, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  15. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

The 20-Year-Old six pack of Budweiser that my friend and I found at age 12 in his Uncle's cabin. Very Hyped. It could have been much better with just another year or two to bring out the sweeter notes at 5 degrees cooler... we were angry for spoiling such a vintage...precocious we were...

NotHereForGold likes this.
  16. ahbithwabm

ahbithwabm Devotee (404) Apr 27, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Mocha Wednesday, expected great things but I was not a huge fan. Also grapefruit sculpin

17. Irishmafia

Irishmafia Initiate (147) Mar 21, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

You are comparing an apa to ipas. Generally apas have less abv. and flavor than ipas in my opinion.

Compared to other beers classified as american pale ales I think zombie dust has more flavor, a stronger smell, and higher abv than most others.

That said I think Suedo Sue and 18th Streets Deal with a Devil are better apas.

Cheers!

18. Tanktizzo

Tanktizzo Initiate (0) May 19, 2014 Illinois

Any of the Doughnut ales by Roque...you know all the pink bottles.

19. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina

Yes, I forgot it was called an APA. What I should have said I suppose is that it's just a run of the mill beer. IPA or APA, it's in the middle of the pack for hoppy beers. It's good, but I just don't get the hype over it. There's nothing special about it in my opinion.

20. TheeWalrusHunter

TheeWalrusHunter Initiate (194) Aug 23, 2013 Oregon

Hype? :grimacing:

jminch and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  21. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

Hopslam, BCBS, Elder/Younger, Blind Pig, FBS, Two Hearted, Pipeworks Nelson Sauvin

I understand some of these are rated so highly for their influence on what craft beer is today, and some of them might be great, but deserving of a perfect score? Probably not.

#501 MisSigsFan, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  22. changdulla

changdulla Initiate (0) May 2, 2014 Rhode Island

Nugget Nectar.

I have had people tell how great it was. I have had people trying to offer it to me in trades.

I finally found some at a shop just over the border in Mass. and I have to say that it was nothing special.

23. MisSigsFan

Okay, yes this too. Great beer, and I'm pretty sure I've seen it rated as high as 98 or 99, but is not worth the hype IMO. It's at 96 now which means it's gone down pretty quickly.

24. Lamnic

Lamnic Initiate (197) Mar 1, 2012 Connecticut

I think this year just wasn't as good as years past

25. MisSigsFan

I first had it in 2013 when I was still somewhat new to craft and thought it was fantastic. Had it last year and thought it was decent, and then this year I thought it was pretty good. It's nothing more than just a very good amber.

I'll stick to this:
    [​IMG]

I honestly can't think of a single trade I've done where I didn't send the person a few cans of these. It's that awesome.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  26. Hopheadgou

Hopheadgou Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Connecticut

I agree 100%

NewBeerMoney likes this.
  27. Hopheadgou

Hopheadgou Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Connecticut

Heady Topper. IS it a great beer? Absolutly. Should it be claimed as the best ipa in the world? I dont think so. Ive had plenty of ipas that are better. Tree House makes some of my favorite ipas/dbl ipas. And cant forget about HF. And for stout KBS has been letting me down the past couple years. My favorite was up until 2012. the 2013's and 2014 seemed a bit off.

28. BigPappaSwole

BigPappaSwole Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2014 Indiana

Big let down for me was the abyss it was one of my first "bigger" beers that just didn't taste right to me at all, even held onto it past its drink past this date lol

29. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (538) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Great Lakes Christmas Ale comes to mind immediately. One of my favorite brewers, hands down my least favorite of what they bottle. It's fine though, keeps folks away from the Blackout stout. I have 5 doing time on a shelf from last Christmas (2013) that someone left after a holiday party.

Finally had 12 Dogs this year from Thirsty Dog & definitely MUCH better than what I was expecting, not a big holiday "spiced" beer drinker, but this was worthy of more than one.

30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (538) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

And a HUSSSSSSSSH falls over the crowd:wink:

31. HoosierBrew

HoosierBrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Indiana

down - 120
    up - PTE

32. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,792) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Imperial Biscotti Break - just didn't have that nut bustin' flavor I was expecting it to have.

33. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Abraxas

King Sue

Black Tuesday

Kill me now...

34. andyctree

andyctree Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

Pretty much every one.

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  35. digitalflood

digitalflood Champion (864) Feb 4, 2011 New York
    Society

My latest let down was Ballast Point Victory at Sea. It wasn't a bad beer. It was just too sweet for my taste. I was disappointed though and just thought it would taste a little more coffee a little less vanilla. I promised myself I would give it another shot. Maybe I had the temp wrong or the glass or something... but it just didn't work out.

36. shirtless_mike

shirtless_mike Zealot (540) Aug 4, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

Apple Brandy Noir was a rare letdown from Prairie for me. Not bad by any means but I just didn't get the big hit of apple everyone else got. Oh well. I've got a few more bottles I can hopefully trade for some of my wants.

37. gcg49

gcg49 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2014 Texas

My friend and I brewed a Belgian strong ale that was pretty decent but a little funky and off-tasting. Tried Karmeliet at a bar a few weeks later and was shocked to find that it tasted very similar to my homebrew. Didn't love it but felt a little better about our effort.

38. changdulla

changdulla Initiate (0) May 2, 2014 Rhode Island

blasphemy...

39. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Initiate (0) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland

I agree! I search this brew out...it is that good!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.