Hyper Local Craft Brew Fest - Somerville

Discussion in 'New England' started by Skwalk47, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (228) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

2nd Annual Hyper-Local Craft Brewfest at The Armory

Anyone on here planning to go? I essentially live across the street and plan to do the 3-6pm session followed by a BBQ at my place after.

http://hyperlocalbrew.eventbrite.com/

Not a ton of top of the line breweries on there but definitely enough to keep me interested.

Anyone have favorites from that list of brewers? I like some of the Smuttys and Mayflowers.

2. bramsdell

bramsdell Initiate (162) May 27, 2011 North Carolina

I'm thinking about going Saturday night.

3. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Defender (604) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

I'm thinking about going, but not sure yet. My favorites on that list are Smuttynose, CBC, Rising Tide and Farnum Hill (cider). There are some other solid breweries on there as well, though, and it sounds like a fun time.

4. BHBrewery

BHBrewery Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2010 Massachusetts

We are always happy to help out the Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN). Looking forward to another great event.

Skwalk47 likes this.
  5. braineater

braineater Initiate (156) Dec 24, 2005 Massachusetts

Their definition of local is intriguing.

6. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

35 is too much for that line up, especially when the BA fests are only 20 bucks more.

7. emannths

emannths Initiate (182) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Everything is within about 100 miles I think. I don't think I'd call it "hyperlocal," but if you ignore state lines 100mi is pretty close.

Mercury should put on a fest using only Mercury-brewed beers. And fried clams.

8. FrankLloydMike

FrankLloydMike Defender (604) Aug 16, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Agreed. "Hyperlocal" is really a huge stretch, in my opinion, but local is fair. It bugs me when people define local according to state lines, etc, so I think a 50-100 mile radius from Boston is pretty local as far as beer goes. A hyperlocal beer fest might just feature breweries within 128 or something, and even that's a pretty big area. Still, with so many good Boston area breweries missing from the lineup, it's kind of hard to really call this a locally focused beer fest.

I mostly agree, but it's a different animal. If this price included a few food samples, I'd be much more interested. But still, the two fests are appealing to different people: beer advocates, and people interested in local food, basically. I doubt I'll end up going to this fest, but I think you just have to go into with different expectations than ACBF or something; it's a totally different animal, but that doesn't mean it can't be a fun time.

9. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (228) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

BTW code BLF4 gets your $4 off your ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe