Hypothetical DLD Group Question

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by fritts211, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritts211

fritts211 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2011 Tennessee

Looking for some DLD veteran advice. If a certain person were to become weak and give into the ass-hat scalpers selling DLD tickets for way more than they were originally sold for, what would be the best time to go if:

1. The person would be going by themselves.

2. He/she had to rent a car on an hourly basis if he/she drove.

3. Had to leave from Chicago, get to DLD, and drive back in the same day (in other words, could only drink a small amount before driving back).

4. Has no great beers to bring to share with other BA's, and therefore doesn't want to be "that person".

A, B, C, or not worth it at all for the price (in your opinion)?

* I would make a poll, but I'm lazy

2. SchuStar

SchuStar Zealot (549) Mar 21, 2011 Illinois

I guess if you basically just want to get the beers and go, C is probably your best bet. Most of the A's and some B''s would be on their way out by the time you get there.

3. ravot

ravot Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Illinois

why don't you go in the DLD thread and ask someone to carpool. or if you do rent a car. a simple growler from chicago, such as haymarket or HA will be suffice to 'share'. remember, our locals may not be locals from peeps in indiana, MN, MI, WI. etc.

plus, if you didn't want to bring anything to share, bring snacks such as pretzels and water. you'll be welcomed in no time. i'm new here and to the board and this is what i've gathered. the community seems great and offer plenty of hospitality. i plan on bringing some good stuff, nothing too rare, but definitely worth you're while. i'll also bring some water/snacks as my girl can hang on to those in her bag, the beer in mine.

i'm trying to go with a friend to carpool so i'm still finalizing plans. shit, pay me for gas and i'll drive :wink: no need to rent, but i plan to get there early, til who knows, as i don't have plans the whole day.

fritts211 likes this.
  4. fritts211

Thanks for the advice and offer. As it has been suggested, I am in fact "that person" (shocker). I'm still debating on whether or not to give into the scalpers (and thus ruin my principles), and I might even wait as much as a week to see if the prices continue to drop on tickets. I'd be happy to bring some things to share, it just always seems disproportionate to what is offered, and that makes me feel like a small little person:slight_frown: haha (lol? I still don't know internet lingo) . I hope you don't mind if I mail you about a ride if I decide to go.

Cheers!

5. pschul4

pschul4 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2011 Illinois

Don't worry about bringing HUGE rare beers. Just bring some nice stuff from revolution or piece and join the party! If everyone was able to bring rare beers they wouldnt be rare :stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

6. fritts211

Very true man. I'm undergoing some sort of existential crisis in regards to buying a damn ticket. Granted, it would be infinitely more beneficial to use said angst in a constructive manner, but... bah.

7. kif

kif Zealot (537) Jan 4, 2012 Illinois

I would just give in and buy the ticket if you can comfortably afford it. Not everyone was able to get tickets in the online sale or at the brewery, plenty of people were forced to use ebay/stubhub including lots of people on BA. Most people just wont admit it because of the negative stereotype associated with it. If you really want to go, just do it.

For the bottle share, I have found most people are incredibly generous at DLD. At every beer release I have been to people are friendly and generous, but even more so at DLD. Pick up a Revolution, Haymarket, or Piece growler, then go to Binnys or something and pick up a bomber or two that you like. It doesnt have to be crazy rare. People at DLD have always been willing to pour a glass for anyone in my experience, even people offering nothing in return. But it is nice to be able to pour a beer for them in return.

Overall, dont be concerned about going by yourself. Talk to the people in line for the bottles around you. Stop by the bottle share. Tell people you are on BA. You will have friends in no time.

8. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

+1.

A lot of people have said in other threads that they will pour indiscriminately to anyone who has an empty glass, myself included. Just be polite and ask for a small pour and a high five, you'll be set.

And if you think you are going alone, think again. You got about 5,999 other beer geeks that are going there to hang out and have a good time.

9. BFro

BFro Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 Illinois

+1 to everything that everyone has said above.

And there's always a limited window of gambling time on 3rd party ticket prices. You have to bide your time just right, but wait too long and the prices shoot up because they know almost everyone looking last minute will be desperate. It's kind of like the airlines. Good luck.

Oh, and if you bring some Revolution, please make it Anti-Hero IPA. That stuff is killer.

moju likes this.
  10. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

Yo! I thought we were gonna pick up some growlers??

11. monitorpop

monitorpop Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2007 Michigan

I went for the first time by myself last year with an over priced ticket from stub hub and one 4D to share. Had a great time, drank some amazing beers and made a couple of great friends. This year I got lucky with the online sale and I have too much beer to share. Best of all, I'm meeting up with the friends I made last year. So, I can't say what your story would be, but for me, going alone with little to share was more than worth the over priced ticket.

jisom123 likes this.
  12. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Pundit (920) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

I'm going there alone and coming in the B section. I'm bringing a couple growlers from a local NJ brewery that isn't rare to me, but I think some people would enjoy trying. This is my first year as well, but I figure I'm just going to go and enjoy myself.

jisom123 and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  13. BFro

Yeah, but then i don't have to get that one... Haha. I wanna hit up Pipeworks. Hopefully we'll have time to fit all this in before we go.

14. ClubberLang

ClubberLang Crusader (422) Jun 1, 2007 Illinois

Honestly, if you can't partake in the fest aspect of it, I don't think it would be worth paying the crazy scalper price. Granted, I don't think I'd pay their price even if I could stay all day, but definitely not if all I was trying to do was show up, have a little bit of beer, buy Dark Lord, and get out. Just trade for a bottle of Dark Lord if you really want it, it shouldn't be that difficult. If you do buy one, buy the C session and don't feel like you even have to be in line when the C time starts.

Is there some secret Pipeworks tap room they haven't told us about?

15. JakeT469

JakeT469 Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Colorado

@Clubber: Yes, only Bfro, myself and the great ppl at Pipeworks know about it. Too bad you're not "in the know"

16. BFro

Haha. I know it sounded like i was implying a growler from pipeworks, but if i we're in the city anyhow, might as well get some city exclusive brews.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.