I 95 Road Trip - Syracuse to Jacksonville FL

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Nole_Brew, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nole_Brew

Nole_Brew Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Florida

Whats good,

My dad, brother, and I are all driving from Syracuse New York, through NYC and then down to Jacksonville Florida over the holiday break, and are looking to stop at some well known or highly regarded brew pubs, breweries, etc on the way home. I think we are taking 95 most of the way, but I am looking for ideas for places to swing by.

Thanks in advance
    Nick

2. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

3. DoubleSimcoe

DoubleSimcoe Poo-Bah (2,998) Jan 7, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Mamma mia... can you even begin to fathom the amount of brewpubs and breweries you will find in a +1000-mile road trip North to South? It would take several forums and days to get it all...

Mongrel and NYR-Zuuuuc like this.
  4. Nole_Brew

Nole_Brew Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2014 Florida

Hahaha, I live in florida, we are driving both ways but making most of the stops on the way back.

Double, more of the iconic stuff, like I know we want to go to Dogfishhead

5. hophead_87

hophead_87 Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2014 Virginia

In VA, Hardywood is worth the stop. Pick up some GBS to go if possible!

fredmugs likes this.
  6. NYR-Zuuuuc

NYR-Zuuuuc Devotee (417) Jan 1, 2013 Connecticut

Two Roads in CT. It's a great brewery visit. Tasting room is really nice. And it's right off 95. Worth a stop.

7. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I haven't been but I've heard great things about Peekskill which is just north of NYC. DC Brau - especially if you can get OTWOA.

cjgiant likes this.
  8. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (8,804) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

You might want to consider taking 81 to 77 or 26 on the way down, and then come back on 95. Some great breweries in VA - 3 Brothers & Blue Mountain - also Capital Alehouse in Harrisonburg is exceptional. Then go through either Charlotte or Asheville (Wicked Weed).

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  9. Gunch43

Gunch43 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 Pennsylvania

Take the 10 mile detour off of 95 in philly and make sure you hit up Tired Hands.

10. bcoyle

bcoyle Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2011 Massachusetts

First I would go to Ommegang in NYS, then I would hit Carton in NJ, In PA I would get over to Tired Hands as well as Forest and Main. I would go to DE and hit Dog Fish Head instead of going through Washington DC. Then you can get into the Carolinas where you should go to Wicked Weed (NC) and Westbrook brewery (SC). Making way into GA I would do Terripan or Sweetwater. Finally arriving in Florida where I would go straight to Cigar City.

11. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 Florida

What bcoyle said. But check here for breweries from states you're in. Jacksonville has about 7 different breweries now too. So I think you'll find something you like here.

12. Rkish22

Rkish22 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 Georgia

Westbrook in Charleston can't be too far from I95..

13. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Center of the Universe brewery in Ashland, VA is off exit 89. Like MAYBE 2 miles off 95. You can see it from the interstate. Strangeways is a touch more difficult to find, but if you make it to Hardywood, you only need to take a few turns on backroads to avoid interstate and get over there. Pretty simple to find your way back south from there as well.

14. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

State Line liquor in Delaware. About 2 minutes off 95. Great store.

madtrixter787 and tone77 like this.
  15. gr8zehaman

gr8zehaman Aspirant (294) Aug 23, 2010 North Carolina

Good call, Tired Hands is brewing some awesome stuff.

16. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

DFH is well out of your way. Having said that it is well worth the time. Going south through DE and going over the Bay Bridge will cost you over an hour. As someone mentioned the DC area can cost you a lot of time too. Depending on the time of the day it may be a wash. If you have more time this detour brings you within a mile or so of Mispillion in Milford. Another 1/2 or so out of your way is Burley Oak in Berlin MD and 16 mile in Georgetown DE. Due to time and quality that is the order I would say to visit them.

17. Soloveitchik

Soloveitchik Disciple (328) Feb 7, 2013 New York

If you are taking 81->17 in order to go to NYC (as opposed to I-90) then Ithaca Beer Co. is easily doable (although your first stop would be an hour after you left). Ommegang (which has been mentioned) is a nice spot but not along the interstate at all. Peekskill would be a pretty great place to stop (off hours are very empty and laid back) but is getting pretty close to NYC. On your way out of NYC I would definitely hit Troegs and/or Victory in PA. As far as Dogfish head you would really need make a decision whether or not to prioritize DFH and head to Delaware (after Troegs/Victory) or continue on to the DC/Baltimore area and head that direction.

18. Wanda

Wanda Initiate (137) Nov 23, 2006 Tennessee

In North Carolina most of the outstanding breweries are well west of 95 (like by a few hours). Closer to 95 you'll find DuckRabbit http://goo.gl/maps/AcFic

and my personal favorite from the eastern half of our state Mother Earth in Kinston http://goo.gl/maps/vMXk8

Raleigh is fairly close to 95 and there are quite a few breweries there as well and some very good bottle shops.

19. bluehende

Society

This is actually in MD. But as you can guess by the name it is virtually on the line. It is directly off the last exit (or first depending on direction) in MD. The best deal is to avoid the DE toll by using the last exit in either state and getting back on at the first exit of either state. If you are stopping at Stateline you lose less than 5 minutes. That money can then be spent on beer.

20. Lucular

Lucular Poo-Bah (4,497) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Society Trader

Heavy Seas is underrated and makes a good stop in the Baltimore area. Tours are $5 and include a pint glass with 5 tasting tokens!

21. bcoyle

bcoyle Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2011 Massachusetts

Oh forgot to mention, before you even leave Syracuse go to Dinosaur BBQ and/or Empire Brewing Company. You won't be disappointed.

Zetcha7x and Lochnessmonster like this.
  22. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Devotee (483) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania

If you are willing Skip NYC hit 95 via 81 you could stop by Troegs in Hershey. It is worth a trip.

gopens44 and BBThunderbolt like this.
  23. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,987) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Well it depends how he comes down from Syracuse. I-81 the whole way wouldn't hit I-95 until the Washington area.

24. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (8,987) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Evolution Brewing is also along the way if you go down the Del-Mar-Va penninsula. I stopped there for a nice lunch on the way to Virginia Beach. Good food.

bluehende likes this.
  25. Axic10

Axic10 Savant (923) Mar 15, 2008 New Jersey
    Society Trader

About a mile off of 95 right over the PA/NJ border is Vault Brewing in Yardley, PA. Great food and they are doing some good things with their beers.

26. bluehende

Society

I guess for completeness (I bet there are even more) we should mention 3rd wave in Delmar not far from evolution. Too much beer ..... too little time.

jmdrpi likes this.
  27. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Aspirant (261) Jun 18, 2010 Virginia

As mentioned above...Hardywood and Center of The Universe are within 5 minutes of their respective exits off of 95. State Line Liquors is a must stop, and I use those exits, as mentioned above to avoid the tolls as well.
    DC Brau, I would check their hours before stopping. Someone mentioned Westbrook as well...they have limited hours, so check that before hand. It is also 57 miles from 95 exit.

28. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (10,026) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

I used to live between Rochester and Syracuse, and traveled that way often. A must-hit for you would be to take I-81 to I-80, go west and get off at Rte 15, go South and hit Selins' Grove brewery in Selinsgrove PA. Then take 15 south to Harrisburg, and hit up Troegs in Hershey. Or vice versa, if you'll be hitting breweries on the way back.

29. DoubleSimcoe

DoubleSimcoe Poo-Bah (2,998) Jan 7, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

State Line Liquor is in Maryland

30. RavenForBeer

RavenForBeer Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2014 Georgia

Westbrook, terrapin, and sweetwater are well off 95. About 50 miles and 250 respectively. Hit up southbound brewing. It's only 15 miles off 95 here in Savannah.

5thOhio likes this.
  31. powpig2002

powpig2002 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2012 Florida

Yeah, but it's on the state line.

32. Serp1114

Serp1114 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2014 New Jersey

Right off I95 before you hit philly make a stop in croydon and visit neshaminy creek brewing. Awesome little brewery that has some great beers.

blassor and Zetcha7x like this.
  33. NavyGuy

NavyGuy Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2008 Florida

KVNBGRY likes this.
  34. Zetcha7x

Zetcha7x Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

Yards Brewing Co is also in Philly and not too far from 95. Victory is a bit out of the way but is worth the detour.

35. Onemoresolo

Onemoresolo Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2014 Connecticut

You could always get off in New Haven and take a <10 min detour to NEBCo, though the Two Roads brewery is quite a spectacle.

36. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Poo-Bah (2,623) Feb 27, 2005 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Uhhh, Charleston is nowhere near 95.

5thOhio and keithmurray like this.
  37. HopFace

HopFace Aspirant (248) Feb 29, 2012 Colorado

blassor, gopens44 and KVNBGRY like this.
  38. Rkish22

Rkish22 Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2014 Georgia

It's an hour drive from Charleston to 95. That's not "too far" as I mentioned in respects to driving from Syracuse to Jacksonville...I guess it depends on the priorities for the drivers

39. timedwards3113

timedwards3113 Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2014 Pennsylvania

Hardywood Park and Strangeways in Richmond, VA. No detour needed.

40. WS_Transplant

WS_Transplant Initiate (184) Nov 30, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

If you end up taking I81 through western NC, there are a few places in Asheville to stop. Obviously Wicked Weed is great, but also check out Wedge or the Thirsty Monk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.