I find it funny...

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by bret27, Oct 13, 2021.

1. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,944) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

After doing hundred of trades and using all the usual shipping options, I’ve never had someone ask me specifically what’s in the box I’m mailing.
    I see periodic jokes about snow globes, yeast samples, olive oil etc but never had to actually say this.

2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (9,196) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Where do you ship out of? Town, logistics company, etc? Depends on the place, and the time of day.

If college kids are working middle of the day, they don't care. If boomers are working early morning or weekend, they ask me 20 questions, and I just say some bullshit my old lady bought too much of, what? But that would be at a print and ship center.

If it's a larger distribution hub or drop off that solely accepts boxes and no other services, then there are stacks and stacks of boxes with no clerk present at all, which gives me a whole different kind of anxiety.

Affinity and Beer_Economicus like this.
  3. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (111) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

At my local fedex drop off place I was asked every time I went in no matter when I went in (morning, night, midday, weekend) and most of the time I wasn’t even shipping beer it was usually something like wedding presents or baby gifts. Happened 5 times in a row, Which is why created a fedex account and just have the driver who picks it up at my door and doesn’t ask any questions.

4. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Devotee (484) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

This right here is the way to go. I’ve been scheduled pickups from my house with FedEx for years now and it’s so damn easy and hassle free.

flat_lander, Affinity and Lorddevn like this.
  5. bret27

Society Trader

Generally usps. And usually a self-serve kiosk if it’s after hours and flat-rate boxes. Sometimes I use the counter at the post office. Also occasionally use FedEx store and ups store. Almost always morning or late mornings.
    I’ll get the general questions “no breakables, toxins, liquids, etc but no one has asked for specific contents ever.

Affinity likes this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (9,196) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Also is it urban, suburban or rural? Busy or chill? I've noticed different levels of care and trust depending on those factors, not that its warranted.

Anyway, this country needs to stop sucking distributors' Johnsons and get over the fact that people ship beer. There shouldn't be any restrictions around it except for helping to ensure packaging is sturdy. Hell I thought this was all going to go out the window in 2020 because of the pandemic, but here we are, still fussing about booze crossing state borders and the sinfulness of products.

flat_lander, bret27 and AlexIrigoyen like this.
  7. BlackToothGrin

BlackToothGrin Initiate (74) Dec 15, 2015 Florida
    Trader

I mostly ship UPS and get asked every time no matter if it's beer or something else. This is consistent even when I ship to myself from different states. One time I was asked if I would mind them opening the box "just to make sure it was packed correctly".

8. KevinJohnson2

KevinJohnson2 Devotee (484) Jul 8, 2013 Michigan
    Society Trader

This is honestly what convinced me to switch to scheduling pickups from my home. I attempted to drop off at a local FedEx store and was asked what I was shipping. Used my typical answer (local maple syrup) and was told they would need to open my box to make sure I wasn't shipping alcohol. I asked if they were opening everyone's package that day and he said nope, just you right now... Feeling mighty uneasy I told him that I wasn't comfortable with this situation and grabbed my box and walked out and having been using pickup ever sense.

flat_lander and Affinity like this.
  9. dvnbtn

dvnbtn Initiate (63) Sep 9, 2012 California
    Trader

Any BA’s ever use GLS for shipping?

10. bret27

Society Trader

I’ve never even thought about that actually. I know a lot of breweries are shipping direct to customer within California w/gls but don’t know if individuals ship through them regularly.

11. bret27

Society Trader

I live in a medium sized town close to Santa Cruz, ca which is one of the chillest communities on earth.
    That being said ups in Santa Cruz dumped a shipment of really nice beers down the drain that was on the way to me. (But I think we’ve already discussed this)

12. BigIronH

BigIronH Champion (858) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

Funny. I have no where near as many trades as you but I have been asked all but once or twice. Rural Michigan USPS. I guess they’re mighty concerned. @KevinJohnson2 I too say Maple Syrup which has snow balled into a whole story I had to tell after a barrage of harmless questions about that. Do you tap your own trees? How much do you get out of a tree? Is that hard work?

AlexIrigoyen likes this.