"I hate beer."

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Iluvink, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunuelian

Bunuelian (0) Mar 22, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

I have to admit that I checked this thread cattily hoping to read rants about the latest razzle for a $20 can of IPA.
    On topic, if an adult 'hates' something, ignore them and move on - you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

2. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,215) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The problem with being an evangelist for any cause is that you are usually preaching to yourself, and those you are trying to convert won't be converted, only annoyed or enraged. This holds true for politics, religion, sports, and beer. Save the evangelism for those that tell you they want to get into craft. Otherwise, let them not like beer. Maybe you should try what they like.

3. Dweedlebug

Dweedlebug (0) Feb 28, 2012 Pennsylvania

I don't feel the need to turn people from that statement. When I tell someone I don't like wine, it's not an invitation for them to try to change my mind.

4. eppCOS

eppCOS (775) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

I turn around, hiding my frown, and then turn to face them with a wine bottle. Easy. Why is this a thread? :L

GreenBayBA likes this.
  5. DrewSnyc667

DrewSnyc667 (0) Jul 25, 2011 Massachusetts

I've found that the easiest way to get "i hate beer people" to like beer is by offering them Wild Ales and Sours, since that is, for most, the antithesis of what they expect beer to be. The results have been mostly very positive as the drinker finds the beers to be more like a wine and therefore finds them enjoyable.

6. Chuckles21

Chuckles21 (0) Apr 22, 2018 Oklahoma

My wife hates beer. No matter how much I think, she has to like this beer, nope, she thinks they all taste like piss.

7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

With threads like this I always think, "Are you so insecure in your own beliefs that you won't rest until everyone around you to believes the same as you do?"

DogbiteWilliams and bbtkd like this.
  8. LeRose

LeRose (610) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

To quote Heinlein, "Never attempt to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig."

I used to try and create converts out of the unwilling, but gave it up after watching a lot of what I think of as good beer wasted in favor of other beverages and plenty of two-way aggravation and unnecessary misunderstandings. If somebody has an open mind and seems interested, then that's fine, and we can do some sampling. If they just say they don't like beer, why would I want to take my time (and my beer...my precious) to convince them otherwise? I don't care if anybody thinks I am wrong, right, or otherwise when it comes to beer. The reverse is equally true. You drink what you like, I'll drink what I like, and the world continues to spin 'round. What...am I going to claim some ego-feeding victory by getting someone who doesn't enjoy beer to say "well...maybe that one isn't terrible"?

9. bbtkd

bbtkd (1,215) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

My wife doesn't drink beer, doesn't drink much at all, maybe an occasional wine. I usually drink my craft beer at home, and sometimes I'm drinking a beer that smells so strongly of something that I think she'll enjoy, I ask her to smell it. These are beers like Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout, which I find to smell exclusively like sniffing an open tin of cocoa, no other aroma I can detect. Her answer, 100% of the time, "smells like beer". I don't even bother arguing that or trying to get her to drink beer.

DogbiteWilliams and Squire like this.
  10. riptorn

riptorn (340) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Pretty much the same here. I'll offer even though I'm nearly positive of what her response will be.
    With other folks it doesn't matter to me if they hate beer anymore than it matters if they like the color blue or have antipathy toward popcorn. I'll offer, and if their response is negative that's the end of it because one convinced against their will is of the same opinion still.

Squire, Lahey and bbtkd like this.
  11. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber (0) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Deactivated

You marry someone who hates beer? Blasphemy

GreenBayBA and bbtkd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.