I have a 2012 Vintage Geuze Marige Parfait and questions.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Milktoast75, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Disciple (395) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Premium

The basics:2012 Geuze Mariage Parfait from Boon Brewery, Lembeek, Belgium corked and caged. I acquired this bottle through a Beer of the Month Club. I have been waiting for the right occasion for opening this beer but my patience is running out. That said, still no fire alarm hurry.
    I am totally lost on this style, lambic ale, other than researching BA and several You Tube posts.
    Would it be better to try other beers of this style before opening to gain appreciation for the style?
    If so, any suggestions? I live Southern WI area.
    Or give it another year or two and think about? Best before 03/25/2035. Wow!
    Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I always respect and enjoy everyone's opinions and ideas. That's why I'm here.

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (10,339) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Start with something fruity and sweet like Lindemans, then Timmermans, etc.. Then work your way towards straight lambic. For some the sourness and funk goes down easy... for others you need to ease into it. You'll know pretty shortly where you stand.

Milktoast75 and youradhere like this.
  3. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (516) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Yes you have a true lambic, which likely may have some flavors you may find initially ofputting- fart, horse leg, moldy bathroom towel— or bracing citric-acid-9v-battery like acidity/tartness. Like @NeroFiddled said- you’ll want to prefunk the good lambic with some more “mass-palate” shelf lambic types such as Lindemans, then work up to an American sour (New Glarus or New Belgium have some good shelf offerings). Share of course, this would be a lot of beer to drink on your own.

Once those are done with, you should be ready to get weird on a lambic and appreciate flavors that in any other style would be considered a flaw. :slight_smile:

Milktoast75 likes this.
  4. Milktoast75

Premium

Thanks for your tips and suggestions.
    Since New Glarus is about 30 miles away, I will check out some of their Thumbprint Series offerings. But look for Lindemans as a starting point.
    I’m basically a malt based ale guy so this is a major departure for me. I am really excited about taking a different angle on beer. Almost like starting over again but not giving up my current passion. Just expanding my palate!
    Thanks again.

5. youradhere

youradhere Zealot (516) Feb 29, 2008 Washington
    Trader

Oh a complete sour novice? I need to share this anecdote with you then:

I shared a 2003 La Folie with my uncle not too long ago, he said it tasted like rancid baked beans and stomach bile. In other words he hated a coveted sour and went back to drinking his Redhook ESB.

Lambic/sours I think are a lot like jazz- it goes from Martin Medeski and Wood (Lindemans), to abstract art-house “jazz” using speaker feedback, an audio loop of someone reciting Dostoyevsky, and a noise you can’t tell if it is a gal trying to sing bad opera or some sort of theramine-like instrument. Ugh, let’s go to the pub and put on some GNR.

I’ve had Boon Mariage Parfait before- it’s somewhere in the middle of the extremes if I can recall and if that helps.

Beer_Economicus and Milktoast75 like this.
  6. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,651) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I have a slightly different reccomendation than @NeroFiddled (which won’t suprise I think).

I’d start with the Cuvée Rene to give you a sense of what the Boon May be, but the latter may be stronger and more assertive. But you can assume an experienced Lambic drinker enjoys it.

Then I’d get two glasses and a friend whose also had or is having the Rene with you.

Talk about Rene, pros & cons.

Then on a day you both need a break from stress, open and share the Boon.

How could people fall in love with this stuff? How does this differ from Rene? Etc.

The fruited or sugared stuff didn’t work for me at first. I tried Faro first, almost never went back. What saved me was an unexpected opportunity to drink both a Cantillon Gueuze and Cantillon one year old Lambic on the same visit to the Brewery and its self guided tour.

#6 drtth, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Milktoast75 likes this.
  7. inkman15

inkman15 Initiate (153) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Trader

I would also agree with @drtth here. Something like Cuvee Rene is much closer in style to Boon than Lindemans which is generally super sweet and not reflective of the delicious funk/weirdness you'll find in a geuze. To echo some of the advice above: it can take some time to get into lambics, and they vary greatly across the board. Some are abrasively sour while others are not. Some taste like cheese. Some taste like hay. As you taste different ones, you'll start to develop a better sense of what you like or don't like in this style, so I encourage you to keep training your palate for what to expect.

Personally, I instantly fell in love with sour beers and lambics the first time I tasted them, but I'm probably in the minority. For many, they are instantly off-putting or require time for it to "click" for you. Regardless, keep trying different things. Taste a couple of other lambics before you crack into that Boon if possible so you know what to expect. But if you can't, Mariage Parfait isn't too too hard to obtain, so don't feel too bad about opening it and not necessarily loving it.

8. Milktoast75

Premium

Boy am I glad I posted this question. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am looking forward to trying the various beers offered in all your suggestions.
    This keeps the “beer thing” as my wife calls it, fresh and new as I expand my styles and palate. Reading the descriptions of the expected taste is very, uh, how do you react to, stomach bile, backed beans, hay?
    Strangely enough, I look forward to this adventure. Heading to a Total Wine to shop this weekend!

Beer_Economicus likes this.