Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

I have never been one for beer for breakfast --- what's the attraction?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by BuckeyeOne, Oct 2, 2012.

1. BuckeyeOne

I don't believe I've ever had a beer for breakfast nor have I ever been tempted to have one. I've also never enjoyed Bloody Mary's or mimosas for that matter, although I have had those.

So, what's the attraction? And, if and when you respond, let me know your age (or ballpark). Is this a young man's/woman's game?

2. bum732

Makes it easier to go to work.

3. danieelol

me neither, early alcohol makes me feel drowsy for the rest of the day

unless I keep drinking for the rest of the day. then it's fine.

franklinn and afrokaze like this.
  4. rousee

A milk/sweet stout is an excellent breakfast beer. Kind of like chocolate milk- except better. I'm 45 years old but I dont think age has anything to do with it.

5. TheNoodleIncident

How often do people do this? I think the only times I have early beer would be when I'll be attending some all day event, or maybe on vacation. I don't wake up on a random Tuesday and think to myself "Corn Flakes? Nah. Pancakes? Nah. Beeeerrrzzz?!! Yes please!"

6. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor
    Staff Member Subscriber Beer Trader

Late 30s... I enjoy this more at a brunch than breakfast (so very late morning/close to noon) and a nice coffee stout goes well with breakfast.

7. cetherid

Beer Trader

mmmm...Dustosas!!

bstyle likes this.
  8. jahenodan

Started after working 12 hour nights. Would make a huge egg scramble with all kinds of add ins. A nice IPA to wash it down. Wouldn't do it working days but Sunday brunches and vacations if you're going to have a lazy day it's worth a try

9. Bierlerner

Something small (as in oz wise) and light. A good hefe is always nice. Even a MANmosa. Coffee stouts are good too with some things. But that's about it in my book.

10. TheNoodleIncident

Fine, I'll bite - what's a MANmosa?

11. sholle

nothing beats some beers in the morning when camping, tailgaiting, skiing or ANYTHING that goes good with brew

Superdad likes this.
  12. Bierlerner

Instead of champagne and OJ like in a mimosa, do a hefe/wheat/wit and OJ for a MANmosa. Lol

13. Hanzo

Earliest I drink ever is with lunch, and even then it isn't very often. The last thing I am thinking about at breakfast is a beer.

Lukafer, LilBilly666 and smutty33 like this.
  14. afrokaze

Beer Trader

Beermosas with a nice saison & OJ are awesome too!

Bierlerner likes this.
  15. afrokaze

Beer Trader

Sweet avatar

16. dannyhipps

What's a vacation without a morning brew?! on those rare special days, nothing beats a nice crisp lambic to get the juices flowing, imho. Rose de Gambrinus comes to mind... 36 M here.

afrokaze likes this.
  17. kenpo23

I'm 33...and my best bud and I, on our days we have off, will drink our breakfasts. If we go out...we walk down the street and have screwdrivers. But if we stay home any coffee stout will fit the bill (but I'd prefer an FBS). I think it all depends on the person and whether they like that sort of a flavor first thing in the morning.

18. jivex5k

Hair of the dog.
    Plus, Old Rasputin goes great in Coco Puffs.

19. quirkzoo

Where were you in my beerios LIF?

20. jivex5k

In my apartment, alone, crying into my cereal.

21. Danny1217

Beer Trader

Now considering doing this with CCB Guava Grove sometime soon.

afrokaze likes this.
  22. Superdad

I never had morning beer until I started working swing shifts. It started out just having a cold one after a long night shift just to relax. Now , its really my favorite time to really savor a good brew. The kids are off at school , my beautiful wife is at work , and I get to sit on my deck and listen to nature.

23. BeerSingh

Are you trying to suggest that you prefer milk ?

24. Scotchboy

I think its great (beer & breakfast), and am surprised its meeting with resistance at all. I try to drink coffee-infused beers earlier in the day (and in moderation) so that there isn't an after-effect that interferes with my sleep pattern.

Nothing worse than going to bed with a pleasant buzz, sleeping soundly for two hours, then waking up wide awake as the beer wears off and the coffee kicks in...

Only on Saturdays usually. But I sure look forward to it.

25. ericj551

Personally I get drowsy if I drink at all early in the day. I can see the appeal and cast no judgment on those who have a beer with breakfast, but it's generally not for me. Maybe if I was in the right mood and had a nice mild in the fridge.

26. DanK4

I'd have to agree with the mass, a nice sweet/coffee stout with a hearty breakfast is always solid. I can't say it's a regular thing for me but I do enjoy it on occasion. I try not to drink before work, makes me feel like calling out and continuing the drinking. On that note I did have a Lost Abbey Angel's Share today for breakfast- let's just say I'm glad it's my day off.

27. scubarex

Beer Trader

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning...

28. BuckeyeOne

I want to be clear --- I cast no judgment upon those who like a beer in the morning. I'm just saying that I've never wanted one and was curious to hear from others who enjoyed one. But I do have to say that I'm surprised that you're surprised there might be some resistance on this. Even if I were tempted to have a beer on a Saturday or Sunday morning, I can't imagine I want to have to answer the inevitable question from my 12-year-old and 14-year-old sons about why I'm having a beer with my bacon and eggs.

29. Henamonster

Occasionally, around 9:30 - 10:00 I'll get a craving for some fresh coffee and a good imperial stout. It's usually on the weekends (never on a work day,) and it's usually only one. There's something about a robust coffee-like beer that tastes fantastic in the morning. I'd compare it to that after-dinner coffee craving. You certainly don't want to fill up on caffeine at night just as you wouldn't want to get all buzzed up on alcohol pre-noon, but a good pairing of both works. (I'm also 38.)

30. Scotchboy

Yeah, I just meant 'I can't believe someone who likes beer wouldn't enjoy doing it if it were an option' - and obviously, looking at a few of the responses (Hanzo for one) there are plenty of people that disagree with me! For the reasons you've mentioned, I can see abstaining from a.m. beer as a perfectly viable option.

31. paulys55

Beer Trader

Black Tuesday with cocoa puffs...fuh king awesome.

32. nknauz

Beer Trader

Waking up on a Sunday morning with a Founders Breakfast stout has somewhat become a ritual.

33. Foamfollower

Always thought Hoegaarden was a really nice brunchy beer, in place of champagne, but don't do it that often. But a cream puff with Cream Puff Ale from Milwaukee Brewing for breakfast at Wisconsin State Fair was a special treat :)

34. Jwren5

Beer for breakfast was an option for me when I worked 3rd shift. Sometimes I would get home, have a beer for breakfast and do some homework.

35. LilBilly666

Never been into myself. I'm 28 and have a hard enough time eating breakfast as it is, without adding alcohol into the mix(eating almost immediately after waking up makes me nauseated).

36. HopsintheSack

Beer Trader

I enjoy a nice coffee forward stout with a real breakfast, goes well with bacon and syrup flavors.

A Bloody Mary during an early tee time.

I enjoyed rolling through life with a full time buzz more when I was younger, but can still enjoy it from time to time these when I don't have any real life stuff to deal with.

34m

37. BuckeyeOne

I've certainly enjoyed this pairing in the evenings with a decadent chocolate dessert --- drinking both coffee and an impy stout. Never even crossed my mind to try it at breakfast. Next time my wife and I go camping without the kids I may have to give this a try.

38. JaredKent

When you were a kid, did you ever dream of the day you could eat ice cream for breakfast without your parents scolding you.... Drinking beer for breakfast falls into the same category.

DanK4 and Jwren5 like this.
  39. Chinon01

Beer with breakfast during the breakfast hour (7:00-9:00AM) is rare I think for anyone. The only time I've drank early was one frigid morning with my mother. I some how convinced her to share glasses of port with me along with some fresh baked biscuits I'd made, topped with butter and blue cheese. But beer during brunch hour (11:00-3:00) with breakfast style food is something totally different. I enjoy going to traditional brunches and Mexican brunches, etc and like having beer with it, typically Wit beers or Hefe with eggs and bacon, grits, and fried potatoes and German beers with Mexican. Good times

mintjellie likes this.
  40. Henamonster

The morning wake-up... Cismontane's Black's Dawn (Imperial Stout w/Coffee added) and a side cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

Or a simple bowl of maple oatmeal w/Surly's Coffee Bender.

[​IMG]

I've actually never tried the Imperial Stout and side coffee at night, so I might have to try that with dessert.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe