I Love (almost) All Styles!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Sep 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,430) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

Darn it, BA’s, we are constantly bombarded by “To hell with this style,” or “This style is overrated,” and then of course posts about how a user loves a certain style... Well, doggone it, as I sit here drinking a Hayabusa Rice Lager by Beachwood, I can’t help but think that I damn near love all styles! So here’s to happiness! Drink and be merry, BA’s!

Cheers!

2. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (247) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

There are very few styles that I can't get behind, and even then I can appreciate a well made example when I find one (maybe not enjoy it all that much, but appreciate it for what it is)

3. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (155) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Congrats on enjoying an adjunct lager, the most popular style of beer on the planet. Prost!

And I don't really mean this as snark. I love adjunct lagers.

4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

I believe in a beer concept I call the "cipher." Not exactly sure how one can seek out this beer but I feel like a lot of people who try different styles find it easier to find them.
    The Cipher is pretty much a rosetta stone beer for a particular style not usually liked by the drinker, such that once they drink it, other beer in that style they have hated actually seem to taste good suddenly. I'm not talking about a person's tastes evolving slowly over time I mean like almost immediately after, like their taste buds suddenly get it and they understand the style like never before.

5. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Totally feel the same way. I can drink something and know that it is top tier in its class, but it still just may not be for me.

Cheers.

alucard6679 likes this.
  6. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

Yeah, man, I actually really like AAL and I’ve tried to seek out those that I cannot get here in SoCal. I bought a tall boy of Genesee Cream Ale for .99c a year ago and I truly enjoyed it. I also had @superspak send me a Stroh’s and I highly enjoyed that one too. I hope to try Lone Star some time and many others!

Cheers.

Shanex likes this.
  7. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I enjoy most styles. What I dislike is almost any style taken to an extreme. Milkshake IPA's come to mind.

8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,627) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

OP - looks like you're getting close to accomplishing an all-styles reviewed goal, with only 21 left. Are you actively pursuing that goal? Living in CA should make that easier to accomplish. Good luck!

GreenBayBA likes this.
  9. islay

islay Disciple (333) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

Cool. I enjoy a very wide range of styles (and style-busting beers) as well, although I certainly don't think all styles are created equal. I'd like to hear more about the few styles that led you to write "(almost)" and "damn near." Which ones are they? What don't you like about them? To the extent other people like them, why do you think they do while you don't? That's where it gets interesting, and I don't think there's any conflict between criticism or analysis and happiness; indeed the former often can increase the latter. Please bombard us.

10. AMKW

AMKW Initiate (19) Jun 29, 2019 New York

Different styles keep things interesting! What I find a little frustrating on here is that all the top-rated beers are typically 7% ABV or higher. I'm not denying that high alcohol beers are delicious, but I rarely have just one beer, and don't want to feel totally awful the next day, so wish there were a little more love thrown to the beers closer to 5% (or at least some recommendations so I can seek them out)!

GreenBayBA and dennis3951 like this.
  11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,079) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I experienced this with Heady. Prior to heady I didnt enjoy ipas at all. Immediately after I started chasing the dragon.

Beer_Stan likes this.
  12. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,803) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

There aren't too many styles I don't like. I don't like what most breweries are calling Gose and I don't care for hops paired with esters or phenolics. Otherwise, I like most anything. From chuggable adjunct lagers to "stupid but fun" pastry stouts and milkshake IPAs.

13. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,030) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Agreed - will drink and mostly enjoy anything put in front of me; the last struggle/frontier for me is/was (?) Brett inflected beers and AALs (unless ICE cold).
    Everything else? GET IN MAH BELLY!

PapaGoose03, GreenBayBA and rgordon like this.
  14. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

I think this is a really interesting idea...I would love to hear people's examples if they've ever had a "cipher" beer experience.

Beer_Stan likes this.
  15. Giantspace

Giantspace Savant (988) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I enjoy most styles but seem to drink AAL, Pale Ale and IPA the most.

I don’t love scotch ale but am starting to enjoy a few.

NEIPA is the style I don’t love but don’t hate. I do not gravitate to them though.

Wish I could get more US Barleywine in 12oz can/bottle at a nice price. I also enjoy old ale and stouts in the cold months.

Spicy beer I am not a fan of, pumpkin spice or really hot slice

Enjoy

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  16. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (70) May 25, 2019 Maryland

Awesome I just had some and it was great. It seemed more Malt and less sweeter and adjucnt then some AALs, I reallty dont like them when there to sweet. What English Ales do you like?

17. hottenot

hottenot Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Used to like sours but lately,yuck. Bells is hoppier and not sour at all.
    We're coming up on Winter Warmers, which is a mixed bag. I don't like cheap fruitcake in beer. But judging by my meager review list, I like a lot of different beers.

18. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,285) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Wheatwines elude me to the point I'll not try another. Most have been sticky sweet high alcohol efforts that make me almost gag just thinking about one in particular. I'll try most everything with an open mind.

19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,503) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

My first sour beer experience was a Petrus Oud Bruin and I didn't know sour beers existed and didn't know this particular beer was sour, just thought it was another Belgian yeasty beer (wit, dubbel, tripel etc.). Didn't like it at all. Flash forward maybe 3-4 years, and I had a Rodenbach Grand Cru. Absolutely loved it and the funky aroma. From that point forward I embraced the barnyard, horseblanket, moldy cheese greatness! So I guess Rodenbach was my cipher.

CheapHysterics and Bitterbill like this.
  20. LeRose

LeRose Poo-Bah (1,749) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

Yup - the original Stone Ruination IIPA unlocked the IPA styles for me (OK...pre-NEIPA days). It was like getting the secret decoder ring by sending in bottle tops...

CheapHysterics likes this.
  21. riegler

riegler Initiate (97) Apr 30, 2015 Iowa

I don't LOVE all styles (though I've not tried every style out there), but haven't really met one that I completely disliked...except for milkshake IPAs. They can fuck right off. I just don't understand the obsession with putting lactose in all these different styles. Milk stout...I get. IPAs with milk sugar???? WTF?

Breweries will have the audacity to call something a Berliner and then the can reads something like "Sour beer made with, strawberries, kiwi, lactose, a sirloin steak and my dad's old work boots"

Cool. Way to be innovative you fuckin dweebs.

22. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,242) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I reckon that after all these years, I've found beers that I like in styles that I generally don't like. Kudos to those brewers that made that happen!

Amendm and readyski like this.
  23. jkblr

jkblr Poo-Bah (3,377) Nov 22, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

I have tried at least one beer from 104 of the styles in the last 2+ years. I can't find the last few or it would be 111. I just scanned my last 50 reviews and that covered 26 styles. I love beer and I particularly love that I have options. I'm totally with @RaulMondesi on this one.

24. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

My first bottle of rodenbach was one of those beer memories I'll never forget... It was a bottle of their caractere rouge and it was just amazing in a way that blew my mind.

Amendm likes this.
  25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,803) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

There are some styles that I simply don't like from a personal preference but I can admire most any well made style.

rgordon, PapaGoose03, LeRose and 2 others like this.
  26. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (14,627) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I had tried a couple of sours - and was soured to the experience, as they just tasted like vinegar to me. Not one to give up on a style, I eventually tried a Lindemans Framboise and loved it despite it being a sour style and being low-ABV. Some would argue it's more tart/sweet than sour, but that's exactly what made me realize that there would be other tart/sweet sours that could ease me into sour styles.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I recently realized that the high-ABV BA dark beers I prefer aren't cheap or particularly sessionable when I'm out for a beer or two and need to drive home. I just bought what you could call a "cop magnet" car, and need to be particularly careful not to push the line on BAC %. I've been trying some local sours, am starting to like the style more - and appreciate the lower ABV.

Amendm likes this.
  27. CTHomer

CTHomer Poo-Bah (3,744) May 23, 2014 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Although I’d had some IPAs, I gravitated toward malty beers until I had a Maine Lunch. That experience opened my mind to what an IPA could be. That was a cipher beer for me. Allagash Curieux was another.

28. RaulMondesi

Society Trader

The first time I had Lunch it was mind blowing for me. Now we have them in SoCal distro and I love it. I think a lot of locals do t care for it because we are already “oversaturated” with IPA’s. But I love it every time I see it.

Amendm likes this.
  29. Hat_Fulla_Beer

Hat_Fulla_Beer Defender (677) Dec 14, 2015 Canada (AB)

I can do without most funky brett beers, but I'm game for pretty much anything else.

Amendm likes this.
  30. Amendm

Amendm Meyvn (1,099) Jun 7, 2018 Florida
    Society

I've tried 65 styles so far and plan on exploring more beers from the 27 styles I've only had one of, and the eight styles with only 2.

There are several beers I will never revisit, and a brewery or two, however I have yet to try a style I would not have another go at.

Now for a mild rant;
    Why aren't there more Kristalweizen, Schwarzbier, American Dark Wheat Ale etc, accessible in my region. Boo hoo hoo.

And beers from Maine Beer Company do in fact kick ass.

31. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (153) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

I pretty much hated anything sour (beer-wise). Then I tried Modern Times’ Fruitlands Rosè Edition. I was so scared to try it I actually split the 16 oz can with two other people, but I ended up loving it and wishing that I hadn’t shared! Now I like basically any sour I’ve tried since then, and I try them most times I get the opportunity. I think you’re on to something @Beer_Stan.

Still having trouble getting on board with Brett beers. Another thing I can’t understand (even after giving it several tries) is lactose in beer. Seems like it’s added to more hazy IPAs than not in Indiana, which isn’t not something I had encountered on the west coast outside of milkshake IPAs. They always come out super sweet and heavy, not full-bodied like I assume is intended.

Everything else, I can usually see the appeal, even if it’s not something I could drink a lot of.

Beer_Stan and Amendm like this.
  32. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

There are some styles I like better than others, many I can only drink one at a sitting, but very few that I deliberately avoid. If it is a craft beer and i haven't seen it before I will usually try it.

33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,114) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

The glory of all the wonderful styles available is that a proper session can be quite the adventure, taking your taste buds on a wild ride. I do hope the future holds more dark lagers easily available in the US as well as milds and bitters.

Witherby likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.