I need a tried and true Milk Stout recipe, Help!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by TIMMYJ21, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIMMYJ21

TIMMYJ21 Apr 29, 2010 Minnesota

Im looking to do a tasty Milk stout and need some advice on a base for this. Thanks

2. marquis

marquis Nov 20, 2005 England

For what it's worth, here's a 1970s recipe for Mackeson Milk Stout. It's only 3.3% ABV mind you....
    For 3 UK gallons (say 3 1/2 US gallons)
    2 lb dark malt extract
    4 oz chocolate malt
    1 lb soft dark brown sugar
    4 tsp brewers caramel
    1 oz Fuggles hops
    1 oz Northern Brewers hops
    5 saccharine tablets

Boil together for 45 minutes.No yeast specified, it was expected that Guinness yeast (you could get it from a bottle in those days) would be used.
    Note the total absence of milk or even lactose from the recipe!

inchrisin likes this.
  3. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I just bottled my first milk stout the other day - so it's not tried and true - but I will say this: You can turn just about any stout recipe into a milk stout with the addition of lactose. So if you already have a recipe that you like, just use that as your base. Then add 8-12oz of lactose for 5 gallons. Add it at any point (boil, secondary, at bottling). Or you could even try two additions if you are unsure: one during the boil and one during secondary to taste.

My personal preference is 12oz/5 gallons added during the boil. On another note, next time I brew this i plan on adding another 5 IBUs to balance out the little bit of sweetness that lactose provides.

4. marquis

I thought the whole point of the lactose was to provide sweetness. It was originally chosen because it's a readily available non fermenting sugar.

5. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

It most certainly does provide sweetness but, ounce for ounce, it is much less sweet than other typical sugars. When adding lactose, the change in mouthfeel - as opposed to change in flavor/sweetness - is the more noticeable difference in my opinion.

If you haven't done so already, try tasting lactose by itself and see what you think. It really isn't that sweet.

6. dougofthefuture

dougofthefuture Oct 15, 2009 Minnesota

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

Very true. Mackeson was just Whitbread's Stout with added lactose.

8. CBlack85

CBlack85 Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

This is a recipe that I have brewed a few times and is always a big hit with freinds and neighbors. Can't remember where I found the recipe, but everyone seems to love it...

7 lb 2 Row
    1 lb Roasted Barley
    0.75 lb Crystal 60
    0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
    0.75 lb Munich Malt
    0.76 lb Flaked Barley
    0.5 lb Flaked Oats
    0.33 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min)
    1 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min)
    1 lb Lactose (Added at 10 minutes left in the boil)
    1 Pkgs SafAle US-05

Mash at 152 F for 60 min.
    Ferment @ 68 F

9. marquis

When would this have been?
    It's not uncommon for one brew to be converted into another by means of a simple addition. The delicious Ram Tam from Timothy Taylor's is just Landlord with caramel. I believe that Marston's Merrie Monk is Pedigree Bitter with caramel.

10. patto1ro

patto1ro Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

!936 Mackeson turns up in the Whitbread Chiswell Street records. Parti-gyled with London Stout, London Oatmeal Stout and Extra Stout. The lactose was added after primary fermentation.

Though when you see how they sometimes brewed Stout in Scotland. How odd was that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.