i need help finding a good cheap IPA in cans in NYS

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Steed13, Feb 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steed13

Steed13 Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2018

i need help finding a good cheap IPA that comes in cans that can be found in mid to lower new York state "Hudson valley region" "walkill river valley" to be specific.

my problem is this. the beers i like are lagunitas ipa and lil sumpin sumpins but they are very expensive and they are in bottles. i am hoping to buy a good ipa in a can that is cheaper and less cumbersome for storage because i want to stock up rather than buy a 12 pack every day. i figure i can fill a fridge with almost 2 times as many cans than bottles. which means less trips, more availability and less cost.
    i would rather drive a little farther away to buy in cans and stock up for cheaper than to spend a lot of money on bottles and in doing so getting less and being able to store less thus more trips.

we drink a lot of the lagunitas but they cost about $22.50 for a 12 pack! between me and a friend or two that's gone in a matter of 3 hours.

if i can save money by getting cans and be able to stock more i bet i can fit 12-16 12 packs in the fridge and the savings would make it worth it.

driving 5 miles to and from the gas station and paying big bucks is the problem basically. theres a number of beer retailers around the area but i have not been able to find cheaper ipa's in 12 oz cans. most are in 16 oz cans and only come in four packs and are somehow more expensive?
    has anyone else noticed this? lol

also on the weekends i like to shotgun beers so cans are a must! lol

2. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (821) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

Pabst Blue Ribbon

3. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Natty Ice. It's sorta Pilsneresque.

4. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (199) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Trader

Founders all day? Lagunitas 12th of never?

Also, all beers are not created equal. A lot of the 4x16oz beers are put out by breweries that are much smaller than Lagunitas and don't have big companies backing them. So economies of scale plays a role here.

5. EyebrowsOnFleek

EyebrowsOnFleek Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2015 New Jersey

if you're shotgunning IPA's on weekends, you should go with 16 ounce cans regardless of the price.

SammyJaxxxx and Brian_Lynch like this.
  6. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (467) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina

Lagunitas expensive? Um yeah....

7. njcraftfan

njcraftfan Initiate (119) Dec 18, 2016 New Jersey

agree on Founders all day IPA... comes in 15 pks...

8. frozyn

frozyn Defender (648) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

In addition to All Day, Founders' other IPAs in cans would be a good option. Look for Sierra Nevada options in 12 packs and mixed 12 packs as well. Unfortunately, most IPAs are going to be more expensive than Lagunitas, which is one of the more-competitively-priced IPAs available. Finding these options on sale, or finding a place where you can buy them cheaper in bulk (cases vs. 12 packs) will be your best bet.

I'm not familiar with the store options available near you, but check out the Nearby function on BA to see if you can find a place with good prices. Perhaps others can chime in with preferred stores.

Steed13 likes this.
  9. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

You are not really being realistic looking for something goog cheaper than that.

Maybe you should consider getting a good six pack to share. After a couple of good ones switch to bud light

Steed13 and cavedave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.