I swear I can taste coconut...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jffbrght, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jffbrght

jffbrght Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 Pennsylvania

In my bottles of Insidious Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout, and I see that is a common occurrence. What would make this flavor come out? Obviously the bourbon is at the forefront, and hints of vanilla as well, but I am lost as to this added flavor. None would have been added to brew, would it?
    Please shed some insight.

2. stupac2

stupac2 Zealot (539) Feb 22, 2011 California

I think that Eclipse gets a coconut-like flavor to it, especially as it ages. No idea where it comes from though.

3. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

Usually I get vanilla and coconut too on bourbon aged stouts (like BCBS)

juliusseizure and gcamparone like this.
  4. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Yeah, coconut is not an uncommon flavor in bourbon barrel beers. Backwoods Bastard, BCBS, and Parabola are probably the best examples of this in my experience. I suspect this is in part from the vanillin in the oak (a compound that tastes similar to vanilla) and the bourbon. That's just a guess, though

Rizalini, dar482 and dvnbtn like this.
  5. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 Illinois

It comes form a medium toasted barrel and it smells exactly like coconut. Sometimes it smells like toasted almond. I haven't had the beer, but I will bet the coconut note in the beer comes from the barrel. Consider it a bonus. It smells good, right?

Domingo, Pahn and davey101 like this.
  6. Sneers

Sneers Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

I can't offer anything that the two posters above me didn't already, except to add that they're right.

7. jffbrght

jffbrght Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2010 Pennsylvania

It smell just fine, and is not offensive in the least. Just curious as to where/ how it comes from.

8. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Meyvn (1,045) Mar 1, 2009 California

Firestone's Barrel Aged beers lead the coconut charge IMO.

9. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012 Florida

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it comes from your sense of smell. :wink:

10. loafinaround

loafinaround Aspirant (200) Jul 16, 2011 New York

funny you mention that... When I made my b'day cake (utilizing the BCBS cupcake recipe), my cake smelled like I added coconut! Obviously none added... but there WAS a whole 12 oz bottle in there.

11. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey

Firestone beers display this the most IMO as stated above. This flavor in parabola puts it over the top and helps make it one of the best bba stouts out there.

12. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Disciple (355) Sep 6, 2011 Florida

I think the coconut flavor comes from a combination of the bourbon and the oak mixed together. What a pleasant combo it is :slight_smile:

13. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

Toast Levels
    Heavy Toast

Heavy Toast adds pronounced caramelized wood, with notes of smoke and toasted bread.
    Medium Plus Toast

Medium Plus Toast contributes aromas of honey and roasted nuts with a hint of coffee and spice.
    Medium Toast

Medium Toast offers a sweet bouquet with warm vanilla overtones.
    Light Toast

Light Toast adds structure and lifts the fruit with a delicate note of coconut.

ThePorterSorter and gustogasmic like this.
  14. TheFightingMongooses

TheFightingMongooses Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2012 New Jersey

I don't think I've gotten the coconut flavor in any bourbon barrel aged beers. I usually get plenty of vanilla though, and I often find those two flavors very similar on the palate.

15. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (1,912) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I get crazy french vanilla notes in BA stouts, just described it in my latest review. It's so interesting that 10 different people can have 10 different interpretations of the same beer.

16. animal69

animal69 Meyvn (1,006) Sep 21, 2007 Louisiana

I get coconut from a number of ris's esp. Reg. Dark lord, wish i could pinpoint what does it

17. Demer

Demer Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 New Jersey

Regular abraxas I got tons of coconut from

18. decimator

decimator Devotee (495) Jun 1, 2009 Ontario (Canada)

If you tasted coconut then you tasted coconut.

jRocco2021 likes this.
  19. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,332) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

I got it when I tasted BCBS as well as Weyerbacher Hersey

20. tronto

tronto Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2010 Kentucky

I got ridiculed, damn near tarred and feathered, at a tasting saturday b/c I said I tasted coconut in a ba homebrew someone made.
    I'm emailing this thread to all them!

udubdawg likes this.
  21. AlexFields

AlexFields Meyvn (1,320) Dec 13, 2009 Tennessee
    Trader

BA Abraxas has tons of coconut.

22. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (275) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout is a coconut bomb.

23. BeyondDescription

BeyondDescription Disciple (315) Feb 9, 2009 Vermont

Odd Side Bourbon Barrel Aged Mayan Chocolate Stout. Straight up Coconut. I think they should just rename it coconut stout because I tasted very little bourbon or chocolate. Interesteing beer for sure.

24. JulianB

JulianB Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 South Carolina

Besides the aforementioned Firestone Walker beers, I get tons of coconut from New Holland Dragon's Milk.

25. tronto

Naked evil from hoppin frog has a lot of coconut.

26. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Zealot (517) Aug 28, 2009 Florida

Say, brainless, don't you know where coconuts come from? Lookit here. From Tahiti, the Fiji islands, the Coral Sea...

27. alysmith4

alysmith4 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

In one of my nutrition classes we were talking about olfaction, and I learned that apparently the brain can only interpret so many kinds of smells. While the tongue can detect five (sour, salt, sweet, bitter, umami), the nose can detect like 10,000. Since the brain can't really process them all, it ends up categorizing them together. How many times have you smelled something and said, "this smells like rotten bananas!" The thing you're smelling isn't really rotten bananas (unless you're a slob, I suppose :wink:), but something that defaults to rotten bananas as you don't have a category for the new smell you're smelling.

So the coconut you're smelling ("tasting") probably isn't actually coconut, but the next closest thing.

28. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,523) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

The most coconut I have ever experienced in a beer was Abacus (first bottling). So damn good.

29. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,618) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Kind of funny - back before barrel aging was everywhere, my wife and I used to think the the B&B Liquid Brain (an old school BBA stout) had coconut in it. Some people thought we were crazy, but others seemed to get it, too.

30. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Michigan

First thoughts:

caramelized sugar flavors from the toasting of wood barrels would be similar to toasted coconut flavors. The above post about degrees of toasting barrels is really interesting.

aging beers can give off buttery notes, which when paired with vanilla flavors would definitely reminisce coconut.

many grains (such as Marris Otter) are known to be 'nutty' in flavor. combine that with buttery, or vanilla, and you have coconut/ macadamia.

unfermentable sugars like lactose can give a lingering straight-up sweet that can taste like coconut. Left Hand milk stout tasted very fruity to me, and I suppose it's a lot of coconut.

31. Tashbrew

Tashbrew Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2007 California

With charred barrels it is part of the complex array of carmelized wood sugars. Longer time in barrel the more pronounced it becomes.

32. fishtremble

fishtremble Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Michigan

As one who absolutely hates the flavor of coconut I am so happy to say that I have never tasted a stout, bourbon barrel treated or not, that has given me this flavor. I imagine the majority of people do like the flavor so that is where your mind relates it to something yummy and my mind most likely picks up the flavor of vanilla and oak thankfully. Geez I need to forget this post because I would be at a loss without my stouts!!!

33. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Aspirant (223) Feb 18, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

I had bottle of CW BBBW the other day that tasted like oak & coconut juice. I wonder why just one bottle would have such a strong concentration of the oak & coconut flavor.

BUNZILLA likes this.
  34. sciencedroppings

sciencedroppings Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 Missouri

There's no easy answer, but all oak wood has lactones in it. Lactones are molecules present in oak that can create varying degrees of coconut flavor and aroma depending on the treatment of the wood by the cooper. American oak has much higher levels of lactones than French oak, thus it is certainly plausible that some bourbon barrel-aged beers could exhibit this flavor as a result of extracting lactones from the wood.

tronto likes this.
  35. tronto

You just dropped some science!

36. Rizalini

Rizalini Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2011 Nevada

...and where did you find this magnificent recipe???

37. ivyman

ivyman Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2005 Massachusetts

Port Older Viscosity. Oh that wonderful coconut flavor! One of my favorite BA experiences.

38. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Meyvn (1,464) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon

I'm curious if you have a reference for this? Always interested in comprehensive standard definitions...

39. TheSixthRing

TheSixthRing Poo-Bah (3,469) Sep 24, 2008 California

Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout had a lot of coconut going on for me. It was like drinking a liquid Mounds bar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.