Ice Cream Beer Floats

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dontcounttoday, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Zealot (741) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

This is a great way for all the cry babies and Goose Island haters to salvage their "infected" Night Stalker.

2. lemongelo

lemongelo Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2008 North Carolina

The main thing is to remember the ice cream is going to magnify the flavors in the beer way more than you expect. For North Coast, I actually think Old Stock is a better choice, because of the sweetness. I had it with a mole pablano ice cream that was incredible! Also, beware of the head! Pour just a little beer in first to see the interaction. What I was saying about flavors being magnified though...if a beer is malty for example, it is going to become very bitter. So it is really important to pick the right ice creams. I think Sean Paxton would be the best person to discuss this with. The Home Brewed Chef knows how to pair!

Willbfun likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Bet it would go great with some burnt sugar ice cream ...

4. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Minnesota

Or a buffalo sweat with vanilla beans :slight_smile:

5. Stouttyme

Stouttyme Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2011 Nebraska

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout floats owns all.

6. mscott1975

mscott1975 Zealot (674) Feb 19, 2011 Pennsylvania

I did one with Founders Porter the other night on a whim. It was very good. Like the previous post said, watch out for head. I filled mind about 1/3 of the way. Also, the alcohol from the beer was more pronounced than I expected. But still pretty good.

7. Kanger

Kanger Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 New York

So I was just at the Brooklyn Brewery for a book release party and there was guy serving ice cream beer floats. He was serving salty caramel ice cream mixed with Brooklyn Brewery Chocolate stout and it was delicious.

He also had vanilla and coffee ice cream, but for me the salty caramel sounded like the best combo with the chocolate stout.

What's your opinion on beer floats?

8. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 California

My kinda thread. I've been experimenting with floats for a while and the latest one was a monster:

[​IMG]

9. swolepeer

swolepeer Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 California

Salty caramel is definitely a good base for floats. I made one with churro cinnamon ice cream but the spice was too strong and completely dominated the flavor of the beer.

ChipMurray and Kanger like this.
  10. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

When six packs of Ska's Minthe Stout was selling for $5 a six pack in Durango we bought a case. Between my wife and I almost all of it went in to floats.

11. EJLinneman

EJLinneman Pundit (920) Mar 2, 2009 New Jersey
    Trader

I did something simple with a low ABV milk stout and some chocolate mint chip ice cream. Simple, but awesome.

12. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,730) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

New Glarus Belgian Red and vanilla bean ice cream. Simple, delicious, and classy!

13. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Damn that is a monster! Well done.

14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I had a beer float at a restaurant with Samuel Smith's strawberry ale and vanilla ice cream. It was very delicious. I would have excepted a stout and not a strawberry ale.

15. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

A Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout float with a Cheeseburger is delicious!

16. HeelsandEers

HeelsandEers Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2013 West Virginia

I know a lot of people dislike this beer, but I've heard Creme Brulee was good with some ice cream. I'd imagine Pumking would be also.

Jwren5 likes this.
  17. 2013beer101

2013beer101 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 Colorado

LOVE that beer and until this thread never considered a beer float. I know what I will be trying soon!:grinning:

18. BB1313

BB1313 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,278) Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

A scoop of vanilla ice cream works well with most pumpkin ales and stouts.. Great Lakes Christmas Ale too..

ChipMurray likes this.
  19. IPAdams

IPAdams Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 Illinois

Why have I never thought of this? 92 degrees tomorrow and I'm off work, I'll definitely be trying this tomorrow.

20. Jwren5

Jwren5 Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2011 Illinois

A nice chocolaty stout with pumpkin ice cream is outstanding!

inchrisin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.