Icehouse ABV increased, but Miller said nothing.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by thisisfutile, Jan 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisisfutile

thisisfutile Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2017 Ohio

I just purchased some Icehouse last night and the guy working the counter said, "I heard that went up in alcohol content" and we looked at the can and it changed from 5.5% to 6.9! I'm shocked they made the change and didn't say anything about it, meaning indicate it on the can with something other than the 6.9. If it hadn't been for the guy behind the counter, I don't think I would have noticed because I had already had a can a little earlier and while I noticed a slight difference in the taste, it didn't occur to me the alcohol actually increased significantly. I went to their website and MillerCoors shows it as 6.9 but no mention of it changing from 5.5. This must have just happened (because I drink this stuff way too often), but again, the manufacturer appears to be hush-hush so how do I found out more information? Anyone else notice this?

2. tzieser

tzieser Savant (981) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

They probably did it because the other malt liquor/ice beers they are competing with have higher ABV. Take Natty Daddy for example. Most people buying Natty Ice or Bud Ice are looking for a cheap beer buzz. They see "NOW 10% ABV!!" on the can and they go straight for that. Seems like all malt liquor/ice beer these days is advertised as being "high gravity". Country Club seems to be one of the last "classic" malt liquors around...

3. not2quick

not2quick Aspirant (297) Dec 1, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

What next? They gonna start messing with Mickey's abv? I don't drink malt liquor often but when I do its Mickeys, colt45, or ice house. I feel they are tolerable less than 6%, and give me that nostalgic sweet malt liquor flavor. Upping the abv will definitely change the flavor. Just let them be. If you have to have a beer that's 10% or higher that's not a ba stout, there are plenty of options.

Olivia52 likes this.
  4. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (443) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

I was honestly surprised to see its ABV in the 5% range -- most of the malt liquors in stores seem to be 6-7% at least, if not 8% or higher, so I figured malt liquor just generally tended to be higher in alcohol. I guess back when these beers were first released, "higher" meant 5-6% (compared to a standard of 4%-ish), and most of the others have bumped their ABV up to match "normal" beer now being 5%-ish or more.

I had a couple cans one time a year or so back when Kroger had some loose ones in the discount cart and it actually wasn't too bad, especially when you consider it's the cheapest six-pack beer on the shelf by a pretty big chunk (it's usually marked at less than $5!)

tzieser likes this.
  5. Feel_the_Darkness

Feel_the_Darkness Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2012 Virginia

Well now I'm more inclined to drink Icehouse over my usual OE or Mickeys

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,172) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I thought it was an AAL?

beertunes likes this.
  7. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (860) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

I guess that makes the old 5.5% icehouse rare! Just think of all the whales at my local convenient store.

8. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (322) Apr 29, 2012 California

Mickey's hasn't changed has it? I admit I haven't had any in quite some time to notice.

9. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,638) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yeah, it is. Icehouse is the Plank Road ice lager. Icehouse Edge is the Plank Road ice malt liquor.

Olivia52, beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  10. JBogan

JBogan Champion (815) Jul 15, 2007 California

I usually drink one of these a year to remind myself why I don't drink these any more. That, and the fact that when I have no cash in my wallet and no cards on me I can usually find enough spare change under my car seats to pay for one.

Gemini6, IDABEERGUY and Ozzylizard like this.
  11. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (494) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Shocked? This is Icehouse and we know the audience. Wouldn't that be like complaining that your Mexican brick weeds "quality" has suddenly shot through the roof and you can now suddenly get super lit off a 1.25 paper joint, where as before you needed a blunt?

Gemini6, pianoguy, Wolfhead and 7 others like this.
  12. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,706) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I've never had a malt liquor, but it sounds like I need to try one now.

tzieser likes this.
  13. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,147) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Damn. Homeless people are going to be extra wasted now.

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,013) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

It won't change my buying habits.

15. Todd

Todd Founder (5,603) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

16. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Initiate (0) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois

Nice! I will take a look at Icehouse cans when I visit the grocery store today.

Gemini6 likes this.
  17. moshea

moshea Devotee (460) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Where was 8.0 ABV Icehouse when I was a youngster? I drank a metric crap ton if that stuff in the early 90's.

I wasn't a beer geek yet, but already preferred porters, stouts and wheat beers to cheap beer, but the budget did not always allow it and a 22oz of ice house was my go to.

It was a 40oz bottle of Icehouse, but I was living in KC at the time and they outlawed 40's to combat litter and public drunkenness.

Never sure of the logic of that one. People bought 2 22oz bottles; thereby getting 4 more ounce of alcohol and litterers had to litter two bottle now

/csb

18. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (422) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Still not at Four Loko level tho

19. wingedeel

wingedeel Zealot (515) Nov 17, 2005 Indiana
    Trader

Wow, 18 replies and not one "who cares about that crap" reply. Bravo.

Derranged, Gemini6, frozyn and 4 others like this.
  20. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Never bought ice house, ever. NA.

utopiajane likes this.
  21. bowzer4birdie

Not showing up here yet....happens to be a Jewel grocery store in Chicago area.

[​IMG]

22. tzieser

tzieser Savant (981) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Yes, it is classified as such. My apologies for dragging malt liquor into the conversation and causing confusion, but I think it goes without saying that the marketing demographic for ice-brewed AALs and american malt liquors kind of overlap....

Yeah I agree. I only saw it in 40s until recently until I stumbled upon one in a one of the grittier towns in South Jersey. Six pack of tallboys for like $4. I think it's a pretty good product versus others in it's class. Plus the packaging is pretty sweet if I do say so myself.

Not that I'm aware of. I actually forgot that Mickey's is a "regular strength" malt liquor (along with Colt 45 and even it's cousin, Colt 45 Double Malt). I'm not gonna lie, the green bottle makes me miss Haffenreffer Private Stock. Typical "you don't know what you got 'til it's gone" shit right there....

Now why on Earth would anyone complain about that?:wink:

Looks like the first reply got removed. hahahaha:sunglasses:

#22 tzieser, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    Bitterbill likes this.
  23. beerguy04

beerguy04 Devotee (452) Sep 20, 2004 Illinois

I wonder if the higher alcohol would make it taste better?

bowzer4birdie likes this.
  24. bowzer4birdie

I am hoping it would...even just a bit.

25. MikeyBadnews

MikeyBadnews Aspirant (203) Dec 10, 2013 Massachusetts

Meh, if I'm going with some cheaper lagers its usually because I'm at an outing and going to be drinking for a while. I don't think I can take down 6-8 of those and continue to function.

Gemini6 likes this.
  26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,172) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

I bought 1 and drank one. I preferred the lower alcohol one. Just like I preferred the lower abv Foster's ESB aka Premium Ale.

utopiajane likes this.
  27. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I will add my two cents. I have heard others claim that these are beer. I do not believe that. I have had one. I won't try another.

VABA likes this.
  28. jmasher85

jmasher85 Zealot (559) Mar 27, 2015 Maryland
    Trader

Well I was going to, but now I'd just feel like an a-hole. :wink:

29. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,335) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Seems to me they tried to make the new ABV rather obvious:
    [​IMG]

Even after the Feds began allowing brewers to voluntarily note ABV on the label in the mid-1990s (before that, it could only be listed in states that required it), there are still limits on how brewers can promote and advertise a higher alcohol beer.

"NA"? Non-alcoholic? MillerCoors offers a non-alcohol Icehouse? :astonished: And here I thought 3.2 Old English 800 was strange...:grinning:

How is it not "beer"? Legally, the Feds consider any malt beverage a "beer", regardless of alcohol content, even the NA's. Ice beers in the US are allowed to remove only a small amount of water in the form of ice:
    ...which sure implies that MillerCoors is simply brewing a stronger base beer to get to 6.9% (or, more likely, is not adding as much water to a high gravity original brew).

DonicBoom, cjgiant and drtth like this.
  30. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (179) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois

I thought something was up as the hop profile has definitely fallen off from last years version

This one isn't worth standing in line for anymore

Steve_Studnuts likes this.
  31. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I was being facetious. I think they are horrible. I have had one and it tasted like raw alcohol and sugar. The flavor was horrible and had almost none of the features of what I consider to be beer such as flavors and texture and body.

rgordon likes this.
  32. Leebo

Leebo Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

NA, is also Not Applicable.

33. Pete1968

Pete1968 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2017 Idaho

ye i did and i want 5.5 back ive already changed beer after18 years

34. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Disciple (324) Oct 21, 2009 Connecticut

Icehouse?? We're talkin' about Icehouse??
    We're supposed to be franchise drinkers and we're talking about Icehouse???

jmasher85 and PA-Michigander like this.
  35. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California

Wow! I thought the beer news of the year was Sucaba's sabbatical, now this! I'm going to need a lot beer to get through this year, it's only January!

VABA likes this.
  36. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

37. Reef

Reef Disciple (380) Dec 2, 2016 South Carolina
    Premium

[​IMG]

The street drinkers who toss empties in my yard prefer these. Larrrrrge.

VABA and utopiajane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.