1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Ideas for Respect Beer Society Membership Perks

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by HopsAreDaMan, Apr 8, 2019.

1. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (658) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Society

I am hoping this will generate some interest in membership, and perhaps we can come up with some great ideas.

Please respect the ideas of others: if you don't like them, then I invite you to provide another alternative to their idea.

@Todd, you are free to modify the title to better fit the idea I am after here: to solicit Ideas for BA Society Membership Perks.

Please respond here and make this thread light up with great ideas!

Roguer, FBarber, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,199) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Society Trader

I like the tiered membership idea, it gives everyone options. As far as the item a glass or something a little more. A keychain or huggie I could do without ( I am sure they were just examples). Well on second thought I love my keychain bottle opener.

3. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (1,799) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

We definitely need more membership. That said, I don't require any added perks. I will leave that to our esteemed founders.

OK, who am I kidding? I like the idea of customizing your account, but I think that should be a feature that only gets unlocked once you reach Poo-Bah status. For example: Instead of Poo-Bah as my title, it would simply say "Hunter." Cheers!

Roguer, TheBrewsky, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (5,663) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

I removed the poll. It was limiting and some of the ideas were obviously presented as fun, but would never happen. :wink:

Thanks for starting this.

johnInLA, FBarber, Junior and 2 others like this.
  5. HopsAreDaMan

Society

Yes, the keychain and the huggie were simply examples. If you have any ideas, please post them!

I like the idea of a tiered membership as well. But I don't know how many are interested in that idea.

6. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,511) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Cheers to @HopsAreDaMan for running with this from the other thread. I hope the community can provide reasonable ideas and I also hope to see feedback from ownership also as to what is possible and what is too far fetched etc.
    :beers::beers:

7. HopsAreDaMan

Society

Got it. I guess I went a bit far with the humor. :grimacing:

I choose the poll because I was hoping more people would respond.: just click away, and no need to respond. If you had an idea for a less limiting poll, I would be happy to post it. :slight_smile:

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  8. Todd

Todd Founder (5,663) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

I think a thread to discuss ideas will be far more valuable than a poll with just a few.

Dragginballs76 and HopsAreDaMan like this.
  9. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I still really enjoy the idea of having a brewery design a glass each year that would be a limited release to Society Members only. Ba could reach out to a supporting brewery and ask them to design a glass, then Members get access to it with their subscription etc. Would be a sweet way to land some items each year the general public cannot get and it also may spark outside interest from potential "New" members. Maybe when they see said item they would like one and join, etc etc. Seems like something that should not be too terrible to do, most breweries have online stores and create glasses anyway, so maybe some calls can be made to see who would be interested, they win with advertising/traffic to their website store etc.
    Cheers

10. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

I am envisioning a Spiegelau with the words Respect Beer® imprinted on it.

11. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Do people realize that they probably spend more than $20 per week on beer? It just seems like such an insignificant amount of money that would significantly benefit the site moving forward. It's a win-win for everyone. I can't even imagine an alternative were BA not to exist. Rate Beer? Never been there. Untappd? Not my thing. This is the place I call home. Yeah, I'm a beer nerd, but at least I own it. Cheers!

12. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (691) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

As a non member I am not sure what perks would get me to pay to be a member. I have been a member in other groups but never felt I got any real anything so I left. It’s not a material thing I look for, could be a good perk. I have the ability to “ talk “ here, so again I don’t know but will think about it.

I do have to say that a part of my not paying to join is put on the Founders. When I first started looking around here and reading posts some of the responses from the Bros. was quite poor in my view. I felt like ANY words said that were against their view or not to their like was risking a ban. The huge snow storm during the one beer fest left me questioning why I was coming here after reading some of the replies from them. Some of the reply felt quite harsh for someone running a site. Maybe it was the stress of the event and snow storm.

I must say that the “feel” of the site in the last year or so is much more open and forgiving.

I don’t fear mentioning music or other things anymore.

Enjoy

kemoarps and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  13. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Meyvn (1,322) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

As I have stated before, a software tool that allows you to automatically extract all your reviews to an external file would be my number one want. Custom user titles would also be an easy to implement and fun perk. I like the idea of glassware for society members, but being in Europe myself, the shipping cost would probably be prohibitive.

I'd also like to point out that some of us already support the site plenty through our contributions like writing detailed reviews, adding beers/pictures to the database and submitting corrections. Without all of this free, user-generated content, there wouldn't be a site in the first place.

I spend some time and effort on these contributions and sometimes, if you'll excuse the hyberbole, I think that the site should be paying me for that, not the other way around. Yes, I enjoy writing reviews, but adding content and corrections to the database not so much, to be honest.

This is partly due to how convoluted the process of adding beer/pictures and notes currently is. Streamlining that process would also go a long way to motivate me to join the society, even if that shouldn't be a perk unique to Society users but implemented generally.

Another thing that I think should be implemented generally is more mod transparency. Currently the mods are completely anonymous and untouchable and this has to lead to a tone in mod messages that can sometimes be incredibly inappropriate and unprofessional in my opinion, no offense intended.

14. HopsAreDaMan

Society

I really like the idea of pouring my beer into a BeerAdvocate designed specialty glass. :slight_smile:

And yet, the environmental steward in me cringes at the thought of the packaging and the shipping involved in sending a glass individually to each paying member--whether that be a premium member, or whatever.

So, here are a few ideas that have been percolating. They are perhaps, a bit wild, but why not?

1) Instead of a glass, send out some kind of adhesive sticker that BA designs to put on the glass of our choice. I don't know how the technology has advanced, but my guess is there are ways to do this fairly easily. However, there are at least two downsides to this approach. A) it is not as professional looking as a brand new glass with the words etched into it, and B) Some assembly required.

2) This is a real stretch, and requires much more planning, but it would perhaps meet a number of goals. Create the glasses with the BA words etched into the glass, and then distribute them in bulk to one city per state. BA could build some kind of partnership (and they may have, already) with a craft beer business in one city in each state, such that that business receives the glasses and then gives them out to those members that were awarded them--they have some kind of code to verify they have one coming. So, the member would have to visit the city, and then go in to pick up the glass at that business. This also facilitates building relationships with the customer and that business. Perhaps there would be some monthly gathering where the glasses are distributed? And of course, the business could have some other fun event, even if it was a simple beer tasting--one that my own favorite bottle shop does every Friday.

I've gut to run, but that's what I've got for now.

Cheers!

15. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I had an off the wall idea in my head so here it is:

Is it possible to host a raffle 3-4x a year? Society Members ONLY can purchase tickets and the winners/winner get cans/bottles from a sponsoring brewery of some limited release? I know I love getting hard to get beer as do most I am sure. So you basically create a raffle for members only, it generates revenue to site, site offsets costs, win win. It would basically take a brewery to agree to do this, and the legal issues of shipping beer, etc. This would be way easier than glassware, all you basically say is guys we have X number of cans for winners, buy a ticket/tickets and x number win, they get a cool release and site makes cash and brewery makes cash, win win win for all??

Is this F-ed up or could it be something???

16. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,196) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

First access to BA Beer Fest VIP tickets and special glasses quickly come to mind.

17. TheIPAHunter

Society Trader

Jackpot! This could be done legally using the right language, if you're picking up what I'm throwing down. The brainstorming so far on this issue has been tremendous, and I feel that it can only get better.

18. HopsAreDaMan

Society

As to your experiences out here in the past, I am sad to read about them.

Yet, I am glad to read the above. The times they are a changin'!

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  19. HopsAreDaMan

Society

I judge those things you listed above (that I put in bold) are both ideas that could add value as well. I remember trying to add a picture, and giving up because it had to be the exact proportion of pixels, and I just couldn't get it right, so I simply let it go and didn't add a picture, thereby letting someone else that is better at that do it.

kuhndog likes this.
  20. HopsAreDaMan

Society

Sounds great to me. I don't know if anyone could chime in with any details on how realistic this is to implement?

21. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

A couple of points in response:

The somewhat heavy-handed, seemingly somewhat arbitrary, and anti-humor moderation of the forums has annoyed me from time to time, and has gotten me a few hand-slaps and scoldings.

Also, every time I looked at the benefits of being a member, I always came away with a yawn... not much of it was any real value to me.

So, why did I join?

Because the site as a whole, including the forums, the reviews, and the "community" of the members is what is valuable to me.

I realize little benefits and gifts are effective in getting contributions (ever try to slog through a PBS station's broadcast during pledge time?), but mostly they mean little to me. It is the overall thing I value.

As much time as I spend on this site, and as much value as I gain from it, I decided the only right thing to do was to join the Society. So, I did.

EDIT: Thinking of PBS.... Maybe a BA tote bag? :grin::sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue:

kemoarps, sulldaddy, Junior and 6 others like this.
  22. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,692) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Society beer glass would be my #1 perk (at least its the one I'd be most excited for). Other options could include bottle opener, t-shirt, or insulated growlers tote.

23. HopsAreDaMan

Society

I don't really get much value out of the member benefits either--although I appreciate the web pages being ad free. I admit it may be that I am realizing some of the benefits without being aware that I am, though. I believe we get access to organized data that non-members do not; it's just that I haven't found much use for it, yet. I may find that is useful later.

Yeah, and those PBS perks never did it for me either.

My main reason is a summary of the last thing you stated: this site adds considerable value to my life. There is another service, a music service, that I contribute to simply because it adds so much value to my life, and I am grateful for what they do, and I want them to continue to succeed. Again, for me it is also like 'putting skin in the game', or in a way like investing in something of value.

Yet, for others providing a little something more can push them over the edge and motivate them to join. That is what I am hoping to do with this thread: brainstorm ideas, and then see what value--if any--others see in them.

FBarber likes this.
  24. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,692) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Or, maybe just have the Society sponsor regional events/meet ups at different breweries? So, maybe BA partners with a brewery in a few different regional cities and then each month a different brewery hosts a regional meet up and society members get like a discount or something if they show up at the meet up?

sulldaddy, SWChi, johnInLA and 3 others like this.
  25. HopsAreDaMan

Society

The beer glass sound great to me as well. Perhaps there wouldn't be too much packaging, especially if it is a small glass. :wink: And, it would be a great conversation starter and garner exposure to this site from those that take them to bottle shares, beer tastings, etc.

FBarber likes this.
  26. HopsAreDaMan

Society

Yes! Great idea! The ball is rolling along!

Meeting at different breweries each month sounds great. I don't do that many brewery tours--most of my beer drinking buddies are too busy, etc. But if I was to meet up with other members, I would definitely go do a tour or whatever at a brewery.

One reason I like that better then simply mailing the glasses to each person individually is it encourages people to get out and develop connections with others. Most of my drinking is at home with my wife. A monthly meetup--or even bi-monthly--would encourage me to get out and meet other beer drinkers that share at least a few more things in common than just, I like to drink beer. Now that I am older, so many of my friends and family have developed health problems, or are on medications, that prevent them from having more than just one drink. And most aren't craft beer nerds like me, although one friend is a craft beer nerd, and another can at least match me beer for beer, so that's something at least. :slight_smile:

27. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Well its cool to see like 10 members contribute ideas, guess the rest are above caring. Anyway now I know why it is as it is.... Good luck all, member out.

28. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,791) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

Or, maybe the ideas other members had we're already posted by someone else?

29. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,223) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

How about the ability to automatically have all posts above say 300 or 400 words blocked from view. Haven't read one of those in a long time.

Roguer, BeastOfTheNortheast and T-RO like this.
  30. scream

scream Crusader (759) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

I like the Respect Beer glass idea. In the long run if there is nothing that is fine also !!

31. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (795) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

I would gladly shell out more than the membership fee to purchase some glassware.

32. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,414) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

Tiered memberships would work, or some sort of exclusive store with limited stuff at good prices. I would kinda like to get something like a pin that varies depending on your level of membership. Would also be a way to recognize fellow Advocates. Getting something like once a year is great, but I look at something like Loot Crate, where you get a bunch of stuff, but only one or two is something you like. I would rather be able to buy the stuff I want.

33. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,677) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

What is a huggie?

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  34. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

HopsAreDaMan likes this.
  35. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

I call it a Koozie but I think they are the same thing.

kemoarps, jakecattleco and FBarber like this.
  36. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,677) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Oh.
    They are koozies. Never seen huggie used, but I probably could have figured it out after another coffee.

The main reasons I pay to be a member is to support the site. I'm pretty sure I signed up to be a supporter as soon as noticed it was an option. I liked having early access to the App and I like the fest discounts/etc. that have been offered.

As someone that has attended almost all of the Boston BA fests in the past year (VIP since it became an option) I would appreciate something added for society members. This could be as simple as a Society tag on the badge that is given for VIP tickets. Or society members get in 45 minutes early (VIP is 30 minutes).

I will continue to be a society member with or without added benefits, but I am sure that benefits will attract larger membership volume.

I am more of a fan of virtual benefits as opposed to an item like a glass or keychain. My wife has a one glass in, one glass out rule and my hiding places are already pretty full.

37. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,360) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

When I first joined, I had no idea what I was in for or how much value the site would bring. I wasn't completely new to beer, but I learned quickly how much there is to, well, learn. I'm also a veteran of several other forums - motorcycling and tractors - that are far less civilized overall. Any minor vitriol that has been present here occasionally absolutely pales in comparison.

I'm a member because it is the right thing to do, in my opinion. I enjoy the site and spend a lot of time using it - I've spent $20 many times over on beer I didn't care for. The site needs money to operate and provide the depth and quality of content that we enjoy. I don't have a problem with that, and will be a member regardless.

Swag? Well, my favorite brewery swag would be glassware and hats. I don't do the T-shirt thing. I guess for a physical "perk" I'd stick with what I like. I do like the proposed idea of dibs or raffles on beers - that sounds pretty intriguing. The "meet ups" - how do you do that fairly? It's a cool concept, but it will take planning/work not only for the site owners, but also membership who want to attend.

I'm not sure I completely understand "tiered" membership - I suppose that would mean if you pay more you "get" more. My interest in the site is the content and people I have met (at least electronically). If I understand it right, a tiered system seems somehow elitist, especially for younger folks who may not have means to pay "up". But I am pretty much in the camp of viewing this community as a society already - not like paying my musicians' union dues. I think everyone who joins (ie, pays) should have the same privileges - my karma, likes, and BA "rank" are good enough status symbols for me. Seems to me having different levels of "member" would just mean more work for the site owners and could be divisive in the ranks. Maybe not - I guess an option to be a "life member" would be a possibility.

I'm also in the AHA and have their beer app - there's some discounts and such there that are useless to me. I'm largely there for the recipes and the brewing techniques. Discounts are always cool, but they need to be at places where a person would shop - for something international like BA, that sort of thing would be difficult to conduct fairly for all.

The one motorcycle group I still belong to gives me a membership card that can get some discounts (kinda useless again) but the first year I got a patch, then every subsequent year I get a "years" chevron to add to my jacket or vest. That's cool, and follows along with the pin idea - it's visible (the patch is about 3 x 2 ") and it certainly does start a conversation.

desint, SWChi, Roguer and 5 others like this.
  38. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

LOL I was just egging people on to be honest, one too many beers last night. I hope we all can come up with something the site can implement.
    Cheers

39. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Kind of along that line of thought, how about some way to award the top Society member(s) with a 1-year designation of a King Gambrinus title (if that's not copyrighted)? Some method that is not a popularity contest with member (or site managers/mods) voting would need to be created to decide who is worthy of such a title based on the contributions to the site.

HopsAreDaMan likes this.
  40. Dragginballs76

Society Trader

My thoughts on the tiered membership would be to benefit the site more. I was thinking while it may cost them an extra $2.50 in swag to pull in another $10.00 per member if that makes sense. It would help increase revenue for the site without maybe having to add as many new members. I am going to be a member no matter what but if say there were 3 levels I would probably do the top based on what I have gained from this site. My biggest take away from coming here and why I support are the friends i have made here.