If get your hands on a single hard-to-get-beer, do you drink it or age it?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SerialTicker, May 26, 2015.

?

If get your hands on a single hard-to-get-beer, do you drink it or age it?

1. I drink it -- maybe I can decide if it's worth buying more of in the future.

249 vote(s)
    80.3%
  2. I cellar it... it'll only get better.

58 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. I don't bother getting a beer if I can't get more than one bottle/can of it.

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

I got mine at a market in Madison, WI. Not sure which state they distribute to is closest. Really wish they'd ship here.

2. SquidLizard

SquidLizard Initiate (0) May 21, 2015 Louisiana

If it's already got some significant age on it, I will likely drink it. If it's super hard to get, or already seriously aged, I might wait for a suitable special occasion, but still...pretty much drinking it as soon as I can. That being said, I just got some North coast Old Stock 2013, and while I am drinking a few of them, most of them I'm hoping to forget about for a year or two at least.

3. MattXT

MattXT Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Virginia

I have the first three you listed in my cellar. I can also say that a 2010 Abyss, consumed in 2013, was the single best beer I've ever had. I drink the hops right away and am fine having dark stuff fresh, aged, and preferably both.

JayWhitson likes this.
  4. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (1,850) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Society

I purchased a 4 pack of 2015 Bigfoot and drank one cellared the rest. I rarely get top tier brews like that in my area (in the boonies in the woods) so if I find it I drink it, if I can manage to get a few I age some and if it's a bomber I share it.

5. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

Beer is not an investment, so drink it. They'll always make more of it.

Powderhornphil likes this.
  6. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,686) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Depends on the beer and the style. Usually I'll at least save it for a tasting or special occasion if possible.

7. Nachojon

Nachojon Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Oregon

IPAs and hop bombs are top of the list for me so usually aging isn't an option. With other beers that's why I try to get minimum 2...

8. TheNightwatchman

TheNightwatchman Initiate (0) Mar 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

If I've never had the beer before, I prefer to try it fresh. The only time I probably wouldn't is if the general consensus seems to be that it gets better with age.

9. marct13

marct13 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2015 Pennsylvania

If I could only get one I'd definitely drink it. What's the point of aging if you don't know how the aging changes it? Or maybe you don't even like it as is and you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. I have a buddy that does that. He has a couple decent bottles, but if you ask him what anything tastes like it's always: "Oh I'm not sure. I haven't tried it yet because I wanna try and hold onto it." My question is; for what? My cellar is Death Row, not a life sentence. Bottles may sit for a while, but their time will come. There's also nothing down there that I haven't had fresh. Beer is meant to be enjoyed, not looked it.

10. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

lol drink the XXVI but save The Abyss

chrismann65 likes this.
  11. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (794) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

just had a '11 Abyss a couple months ago and also agree it was the best beer I've had

12. SerialTicker

Abyss is an easy to find beer in Deschutes' distribution areas, right? If so, I may drink the one I have now and then pick up another to age 3-5 years (if I could wait that long).

13. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Initiate (0) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Drink it, for sure. I want to taste it in its original form.

14. SerialTicker

Is Abyss easy to find within Deschutes' distribution? If so, I won't wait to drink it.

15. DaverCS

DaverCS Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2014 Arizona

If it is really special, I will save it for a special occasion (age it). However, if it stares at me long enough, I'm gonna have to drink it!

16. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,665) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

My thinking is to drink it.

In practice I sometimes end up aging it.

Ideally, I get two of them, age one and have the other fresh. However, I have bought a number of brews (for example, Allagash sours) that I know will age well, thrown them in the cellar, and then before you know it a couple years have passed and I haven't tried them yet. It's not intentional, but it does happen.

If I trade for or seek out a specific brew, though, you'd better believe I'm cracking that at the very next appropriate occasion I can figure - even if that occasion is just splitting it with a buddy on a Tuesday.

17. SerialTicker

Ugh I wanted to just break laws and open the Abyss tonight but I don't want to if it's even semi-hard to find on shelves.

18. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

It's easy enough. I was able to find 2 bottles this year without trying.

19. AWA

AWA Disciple (320) Jul 22, 2014 California

I always age them until I have a good reason to drink them. You know, like a nice weekend or something.

20. SerialTicker

I find that waking up is a good reason to drink.

Good to hear.. I may just go ahead and open it then. Maybe even tonight if my plans fall through.

21. Erikberglund

Erikberglund Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2015 California

You always age Abyss for two years or more same with Black Butte.

22. fureousangel

fureousangel Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 California

Drink that shit. There is always another great beer.

23. HopSavant

HopSavant Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2014 Tennessee

Sometimes I will refer to the reviews on a specific brew--if a lot of reviews mention it being hot, I'll probably let it tame for a couple of months.

The Abyss isn't extraordinarily difficult to obtain, but it does have a higher price point.

24. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,171) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

The 2 that you had fresh before (WWS and Saturn) I would age to see how they would taste differently from your fresh tasting of them. New beers tried for your first time should be drank fresh.

I posted similar question a few months back and what I said was the recommendation. I stopped sitting on some never tried sours and big stouts (a Wicked Weed sour and several Big stouts) and went ahead and drank 'em. I decided to cellar a few St. Bernardus's, Orvals etc. that I've had before and can acquire easy just to see what they will taste like with a year+ on them.

25. sludgegnome

sludgegnome Disciple (314) Mar 26, 2011 Pennsylvania

Well said!

eatabagofbooger likes this.
  26. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia

YOLO lol

27. PuckIt

PuckIt Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2014 Pennsylvania

I answered your poll before I read your post - I typically try to get two of whatever beer has a best after date...that way i can drink one now, and then again after the suggested date.

If there is no best-after date, I try to typically drink asap unless it's something really special, in which case i'll wait until the right time with a few good friends.

28. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (2,561) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

The extent of my "cellaring" is that for certain breweries who make similar anniversary beers, I like to age one for a year and then do a side-by-side comparison when the next anniversary comes around... a tiny vertical, I guess. Of course, for some breweries, I could do that more easily and cheaply at their taproom (e.g., Bruery), and for others, I end up missing out on securing a bottle the next year (Monkish Apophatic, I'm looking at you). But I only do that with anniversary beers, not with limited seasonals or other once-a-year releases.

That's largely due to space considerations. My cellar, in a one-bedroom apartment in Santa Monica, is a couple of boxes in my closet. I'm moving to Indiana this summer, though, so I've stocked up a few bottles of The Abyss, Mirror Mirror, and BA Sucre variants to bring with me for the glory of an unfinished basement.

29. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

If i can only get 1, i drink it, i don't intentionally age it. Without exception.

30. BryanReed

BryanReed Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 Idaho

As far as the Abyss goes, I drank the first one I got, warm. Room temp. And it was delicious. To me, no need to age it unless you're curious how it changes. I did, however, stumble across 3 more bottles of it without looking. Drank two, threw one in the cooler for a special occasion. I also picked up 2 Sucaba and a Parabola this year. Sucaba is gone. :grinning: Parabola is also gonna be held for a special occasion. Got my first niece due to pop out in september, so I'll throw those down with my brother then. IF I can wait that long. We'll see....

31. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,572) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

If the brew is over 10 percent I feel no rush to break into it. Barley wines and the such. That said, IF you have not had the pleasure of Abyss might I suggest you end the torture and ENJOY it ASAP. Deschutes is world class and not to be missed.

32. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,572) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I didn't see Weyerbacher's Tiny in your reviews.....as a humble stout lover (along with the little lady) might we suggest finding one if you can.

33. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

I haven't seen any in the Lansing area since it came out at the end of Jan.

34. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey

There's no part of NJ that there isn't a solid shop within 15 minutes. Even sussex county has good shops.

35. RWACKO

RWACKO Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2011 New York

I cellar it and wait to share it

36. Sir_Whats-his-face

Sir_Whats-his-face Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2015 Oregon

Depends on where you are. Here in Oregon, both The Abyss and the Black Butte XXVI are super easy to find, though for what it's worth, all the stores around me ran out of the Abyss a little bit ago, while one of the supermarkets near me still has a sizable amount of the Black Butte left.

37. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (924) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Drink that 'ish!!!

38. SerialTicker

I thought Deschutes didn't distribute here...?

Thanks for all the posts everyone. Quite the dilemma..

39. mrcraft

mrcraft Poo-Bah (2,057) Dec 15, 2012 California
    Society

Used to have a cellar, not anymore, I drink as I acquire.

40. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

They do. My local Meijer has the regular offerings, fresh squeezed, mirror pond, black butte, obsidian, etc. they even had abyss when it came out (ours has a good beer buyer). I know I can even get the reg. beers at the rite aid down the street. Local bottle shops got the mirror mirror, not the stoic, black butte xxvi, Jubel 15, etc. they all went fast but they all show up.

SerialTicker and HopSavant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.