If the top 100 were more representative...

Discussion in 'British Isles' started by Gold89, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold89

Gold89 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2010 England

...what British beers would be on there? (Instead of Sam bloody Smiths).

A few nominations as deserving of a place:

Fuller's Vintage Ale
    Harvey's Best Bitter
    Harviestoun Ola Dubh
    Dark Star Hophead
    Traquair House Ale

2. paxton1978

paxton1978 Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2008 England

Some good picks there- especially Harvey's and Hophead. I'd add the Dark Star smoked Porter and everything from Magic Rock that I've had. And Kernel. And Thornbridge... oh god, give me a couple of weeks and i still won't be able to give you a definitive list...

Zimbo likes this.
  3. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (9,649) Sep 25, 2011 England
    Moderator Society Trader

I guess it all depends,
    I mean are we talking draught or bottle
    however since Marble Arch not only microbrew and experiment with small batch limited edition brews
    and bottle condition and had a helping hand from St. Dobbins
    sorry but I have to ask in no uncertain terms
    why the fuck don't they get the respect they deserve here

Zimbo likes this.
  4. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,758) Jan 24, 2011 England
    Society

I took a peak at the ratings of Wincle beers this morning and by the looks of it they should definitely be high on the list. Also some Windsor and Eton beers, and I would agree Thornbridge and Kernel. I can also think of a few from Williams Bros, St. Austell, and Hops Kill? from Brewdog. However I do have a soft spot for Taddy Porter though it probably ranks with the thousands of very good British beers that exist.

EmperorBevis and Zimbo like this.
  5. marquis

marquis Champion (812) Nov 20, 2005 England

There are some long established beers which I personally prefer to many of the present hop forward golden ale stuff.
    Elgood's Black Dog,Batham's Bitter,Adnam's Southwold Bitter......Gale's HSB, most of the Timothy Taylor stable, Sarah Hughes Rich Dark Ruby..........

6. Ruds

Ruds Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2008 England

That's a generational thing I reckon, not unpleasant beers you list and all personal taste etc, but in this era with a younger crowd enjoying beers with a more punchy flavour, I for one sign up to that! I've been around long enough to have had more than one or two pints of the above, but given the choice over hop forward and stronger porters/stouts the only one off the above list I'd pick out its SH Dark Ruby. Used to drink a lot of Bathams mind when I worked in Brum in the 90's - good session stuff!

7. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (956) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Good picks from great breweries folks. New breweries seem to be opening up all over the UK these days and I would rather focus on them than a pie in the sky Top 100 list. No offense. And its nice to see more established breweries upping their game as well. Black Isle comes to mind. And then there's the forgotten breweries (ie Oakham, Tryst, Fyne Ales, Wincle etc) who never seem to get anything like the respect they really deserve. It just goes on and on into the previously mentioned thousands.
    Why must we be so reductive about enjoyment?

EmperorBevis likes this.
  8. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

Wincle beer is very much excellent and I haven't forgotten, I will be sending you some, sorry the tin tack kind of got in the way lol.

Though I do worry that I am a little guilty of over marking as it was one of the land mark brewers of me becoming a beer again ale-ien

9. marquis

I've been there, done it, got the tee shirt , tried lots of punchy brews and stronger porters and stouts. But many of them seem different for the sake of being different rather than better.I do enjoy very hoppy beers (having been involved with a brewery which was one of the first to use lots of US hops ever since the 90s) and love strong stouts but feel quite honestly that over an evening these are too much.Trouble with the strong stuff is that I'm incapable before I've had enough! I haven't the head for alcohol that I had when I was a young man and I've rediscovered good old fashioned bitter and in particular mild.

Zimbo and EmperorBevis like this.
  10. Zimbo

Mmmm. Mild.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  11. ReluctantScooper

ReluctantScooper Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 England

In what way 'more representative'? Not being arsey, I just don't get it.

12. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

I think a lot and I mean a lot not only the U.S. contingent but a lot of U.K. Ba's many who merely review and stay off the forum's here overlook the simple brilliance of a pint of best bitter or mild.

Real taste, deep and complex whilst still being refreshing and reasonably priced
    (sure good beer is worth paying for but not bankrupting yourself for).

With good cellarmanship, regular cleaning of lines and a little tlc
    a pint of something as humble as Tetley, Everards, Hydes can rival some very expensive
    very outlandish bottle imports (which I do enjoy never the less).

13. Gold89

Gold89 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2010 England

Hence the suggestion of Harvey's, a great representative of what you talk about (and usually better kept in my experience than Tetley/Everards/Hydes).

See also Bathams. Or Hobsons.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  14. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

Absolutely you have no argument here.

15. CwrwAmByth

Society

A list that's good British beers, rather than what we have now which is good British beers Americans can get.

16. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

Never hold back on Arseyness lol.

The problem is not only how cask beers translate to bottles like I said there is bottle conditioning that really makes a big difference but also availability where the big brews can get it shipped and get it supped.

17. CwrwAmByth

Society

Yeah that's what I mean, some beers are bottled specifically so they can be shipped to the states. I actually had a couple of Ridgeway beers at christmas that had the details of the American importer on the back.

18. Zimbo

Yes, and as far as bottles go Harveys Imperial Stout s a world beater. Unlike Stella.

19. jonb5

jonb5 Meyvn (1,235) May 11, 2010 England

20. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

Could you repeat that? I didn't quite hear you.

21. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (598) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

I'd add Batham's Mild, too. And Bateman's Mild. Maybe Gold Label, for old time's sake. Fuller's London Porter is a great beer. Love that stuff. Landlord's another. Harvey's Old.

Why not many new ones in this list? I don't drink that often in the UK any more. I'm sure I'd have some new favourites if I lived over there.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  22. marquis

Had a pint of one of the new beers today; Ape Ale by the excellent Blue Monkey brewery.I thoroughly enjoyed the one pint.But I wouldn't have wanted any more, I felt like a change.Very grapefruity but I can buy grapefruit juice from Sainsbury's if that's what I want.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  23. EmperorBevis

Moderator Society Trader

London Porter really translates well to bottle and even though I've had quite a few stouts and porters recently it really stood out.

24. Zimbo

Highland Brewing Co's Dark Munro is a more recent treat but is often pretty hard to find.

25. marquis

Lovely stuff-never had it in bottle but it's sprung up in quite a few pubs round here over the last few weeks.First time I tried it was when it came straight from the cellar, just tapped and not really ready.Still excellent .I was going to call it a memorable pint but I can't remember how many I had that day :slight_smile:

26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,118) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I saw a sign for St Austell in the Doc Martin movie. Of course, I had to google it. :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.