If you could go anywhere in the USA for beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by patmoore, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 67couple

67couple Aspirant (248) Jan 31, 2006 South Carolina
    Trader

Have done San Diego, Chicago and live by asheville. East coast Boston. West coast bend/Portland.

ChiCubs78, chipawayboy and 19etz55 like this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Lol, it was my last trip to Waterbury that introduced me to EXTREME palate fatigue. I was off hoppy beers for 2-3 months after that. I was down to trading HF growlers for BA Stouts. The thought of drinking an IPA made me ill, but it was well deserved I pigged out on Lawson Chinookered / Heady and a combo of HF Susan and HF Ephraim. Like a binging crack addict for 3 days.

3. nc41

Society Trader

Oh and I'll be in Seattle area this weekend visiting my son he's at JBLM USAF. So I'm lining up pacific NW beers.

4. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (2,052) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Woodbridge, CT! My hometown! Haven't made it back to check out the brewery though.

zid likes this.
  5. jhavs

Society Trader

We did similar recently. Add Hudson Valley in Beacon to your list. Nice stop! We missed out on Yard Owl and Rare Form. Will add them for next time.

cavedave likes this.
  6. jhavs

Society Trader

I got to choose a short trip for my 40th bday, which is the end of next month. I chose Austin, TX. I really want to check out Jester King and Austin in general.
    For beer only, I think I would choose a trip to Russian River. Just seems like everyone should do it at least once.

ELS, chipawayboy, utopiajane and 2 others like this.
  7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,628) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'd be up for a revisit to either Portland, OR or Denver. I failed to spend adequate time in either place when I was there.

8. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

Burlington Vermont in the middle of summer.

9. nc41

Society Trader

I didn't go to Von Trapp, it might be my first stop now, but I was a hop head a few years ago.

Nirvana was my first trip to Waterbury in Oct, it was night time 20 degrees and snowing , sitting in Prohibation Pig drinking my first Heady on tap. Wonderful trip. Blackback Pub and Three Penny Taproom in Montpieler are perhaps my favorite two bars in the world, Pro Pig is right there too, need a Heady fix.

chipawayboy and jhavs like this.
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (556) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I'm not sure if you made a decision or not, but here's my opinion. You live in Mass, so I wouldn't do Vermont since I'm assuming you can drive there. I, personally, would love to go to Founders (we are actually thinking of going sometime soon) and Michigan in general. Met some people from Michigan last week and they said you can literally stumble into a brewery anywhere you go since they're everywhere up there now. You also have Bell's, Dark Horse, Saugatuck just to name the big ones. Good luck with your choice and have a blast!

PapaGoose03 and Harrison8 like this.
  11. 19etz55

19etz55 Disciple (329) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey
    Trader

I hope to get to Cal again some day. Was 37 years ago.
    Did you try Pliny? I'm curious to know
    if it is as incredible as people say.

12. Eddiehop

Eddiehop Defender (648) Jun 28, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Portland Maine in the fall. Hit up Bissell, Allagash, Austin Street, Foundation, Maine Beer Co. - and crush lobster rolls?!

13. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

If it's all paid for I would drop in on @beertunes over in Washington. if I have to pay for my own I would stay on the east coast and head to PA to visit @JackHorzempa and soon @Giovannilucano . Or maybe even head a little south to see @Shroud0fdoom ! =) Oh yeah and there would be beer in each of those places. Good beer.

14. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (3,221) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Society Trader

If it's specifically next weekend, then I would stay home for the East Nashville Beer Fest. Supposed to be sunny in the high 60s, and it's beautiful here right now.
    Otherwise I'd flip a coin to decide between Asheville and San Diego. So many great options...

cjgiant, jhavs and Harrison8 like this.
  15. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (718) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

Just a weekend it would have to be Portland Oregon. Great breweries and food choices.
    If I had an entire week it would be the New England region.

jhavs and Harrison8 like this.
  16. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,951) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

Loved my visit to Denver!

PapaGoose03, TongoRad and SFACRKnight like this.
  17. GoBearsWalter34

GoBearsWalter34 Poo-Bah (1,951) Aug 1, 2014 Illinois
    Society

I think my next beercation is going to be New England. Need some of those NEIPA's that I cannot get in the midwest.

jaysker95 and jhavs like this.
  18. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (572) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

San Diego. I go to Asheville every year so that is already covered.
    After that, Portland, Oregon.

19. kwakwhore

kwakwhore Zealot (572) Nov 1, 2004 North Carolina
    Trader

It is. I go every year, I stay downtown, and have so many breweries in walking distance that I never get out to places like Sierra Nevada or Oskar Blues. I plan to remedy that next visit.

Subcontrabass likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,614) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Me too!

New Glarus gets some mad love for their fruited beers. I have enjoyed drinking the bottles of Rasberry Tart, Wisconsin Belgian Red, Serendipity,...

Cheers!

21. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Yeah, it was an error of omission rather than ignorance. I have been drinking, and loving, Mike and Jason's beers since they started brewing at Bacchus.:slight_smile:

jhavs likes this.
  22. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Poo-Bah (3,575) Aug 12, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I'm really quite content where I'm at, but if I had to choose something other than New England, it would be Cali. I would be very content hitting ASB, Cellarmaker, Fieldwork, Monkish, and Moonraker just to name a few. Did you hear that, Hunter Jr.?

jhavs likes this.
  23. deleted_user_1111368

deleted_user_1111368 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware

San Diego - L.A. area. My wife, and a few family members had a trip planned there this spring.. but health issues hit, and the trip was shelved. It's not a shelf that collects dust.. trust me!

24. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Disciple (332) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

This is probably my pick for a weekend. Love both of those ideas for stops.

Boston and Vermont are two others that are high on my list, but I think I would like to do more like a week and try to hit all of the big guys. There are too many stops I want to make to cram everything into a couple of days, even if I limit it to one or the other.

I've also got a friend that recently moved to a Denver suburb, so that's probably a trip I need to make in the next year or so.

I haven't done much beer traveling (farthest I've gone is STL and Decorah, both would be repeats), so other places that sound awesome would be San Diego, a lengthy trip around Florida, Portland and/or Bend, probably a bunch more.

jaysker95 likes this.
  25. Billet

Billet Devotee (498) Dec 17, 2013 Michigan
    Society

Chico California

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  26. Caveworm

Caveworm Savant (933) Feb 26, 2014 Ohio

Minnesota, because I MUST experience the Hammerheart brewpub irl! Close second is Colorado so I could catch a slew of great bands whilst imbibing a plethora of top-tier selections.

27. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

This. ^^^

ChiCubs78 and johnInLA like this.
  28. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,994) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, I gotta get back there myself. Last time was just a short business trip, not long enough to even make more than a few stops for brews.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  29. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

If it was a little later, I'd say Massachusetts so I could throw back some NE IPAs while cheering on my friends in the Boston Marathon.

I'd fly out to California or Portland though. I've never been to either, and dream of visting both. Both for the beer scene, and other hobbies. Not sure where I'd go in California since I don't have much knowledge of specific California brewery locations.

30. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (5,380) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

Trying local brews is good, but there's a different satisfaction in traveling, exploring a new place, and meeting new people. Good local brews get you through the work week, and weekend traveling brews give you the stories to tell over the next week.

31. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,078) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

This is going to sound dumb, but I would love a long weekend dedicated to checking out all the new stuff popping up in Denver and FoCo Loveland etc.Life gets busy ya know...

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  32. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,628) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Here is a link to the Michigan Beer Guide which has maps showing the locations of all 287 of the of the Michigan breweries on pages 40-43. Come whenever you can. (And bring money! :wink:)
    http://cdn.coverstand.com/20440/387245/a2a8a7947d09bd9db7d31dd6db641d6ba8d0a60b.2.pdf

jkblr and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  33. mickyge

mickyge Poo-Bah (1,978) Nov 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

Vermont, but if I lived there I might turn into a 400 lb beer a holic

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Greywulfken and VABA like this.
  34. RBassSFHOPit2ME

RBassSFHOPit2ME Initiate (0) Mar 1, 2009 California
    Deactivated

Excellent response and I agree 100%. At this stage in the game being geeked out on beer well over a decade & being married with two children under 3 years old, I'm very blessed to say I've been there and done that. And thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!

Cheers!

CaptainHate and Harrison8 like this.
  35. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (316) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

I live in a Des Moines suburb. Johnston IA. I would love to visit Decorah IA. In the fall. Ain't never been there, they tell me it's nice!

36. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,317) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Grand Rapids, MI

Founders
    Bells
    Dark Horse
    Shorts
    New Holland
    Vivant
    Perrin
    Etc.

GormBrewhouse, cjgiant and wes008 like this.
  37. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,614) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Sounds like Joe Walsh.

I heard that Joe Walsh is a fan of beer.

I said beer!!

Cheers!

GormBrewhouse and ToddSoonerFan like this.
  38. IDABEERGUY

IDABEERGUY Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Idaho

Bend Oregon is just amazing!!!! Been there one time during their beer fest 3 years ago. The place littlery revolves around craft beer. Something like 15 breweries n a town that is like less than 10 square miles. It was heaven. Bottle shops that had hundreds of beers. The breweries had food that was off the charts good. Crux Fermation Project had a grilled cheese that was hard to believe good, you've never had anything like it. Everywhere you go it's beer, beer and more beer....Just a beer nerds Utopia, can't wait to go back!!!

39. HopfordBeerham

HopfordBeerham Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2016 New Jersey

Vermont without a doubt!!

40. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,072) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Yo honestly too, I'd love to go to trillium with the one and only @TheIPAHunter. So many ipas so little time.

jaysker95 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.