If you could have a beer with anyone ...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TheFlern, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Well yeah, that's the less diplomatic way of putting it. There would be an umbrella and surgical mask involved among other things.

2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Have to be my Uncle Danny. Sub out beer for Scotch, I'd like to know what he was thinking going into Iwo Jima on the Higgens boat. The sounds, smell, he was wounded, never felt comfortable asking him , I'm Marine too, but some things arent proper to ask.

lester619 likes this.
  3. lester619

I had a great uncle that passed away a few years ago that landed at Normandy. He never said much about it either. Those guys are the most humble people in the world about what they went through. If your uncle is still with us thank him for me.

4. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,080) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Well, I can think that maybe one or two of them weren't too creepy.

5. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (819) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

My dad

Enjoy

6. Rzzzzz

Rzzzzz Devotee (411) Nov 10, 2007 California

Art Nehf. Just because nobody ever says Art Nehf when this question is asked. I imagine he'd be grateful to be chosen, and he'd probably pick up the tab as a result. Also, we'd do this on the evening of October 13th 1921, so he'd be in a very good mood and it'd only set him back a couple of nickels. And yeah, it'd be illegal, but that's no problem 'cause he'd know a guy. Because he's Art fucking Nehf.

Oh, and we'd be drinking Fullers ESB. Which would not have been invented yet, but nor would I.

7. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (331) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

I'd love to have a beer with my wife's late dad, my dad, and if neither were available, Hemmingway.

8. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (317) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Bernie Sanders, and I gotta go with a Heady Topper when going with the most famous Vermonter in the US.

9. Brutaltruth

Brutaltruth Poo-Bah (3,350) Mar 22, 2014 Ohio
    Society

I would think Revolutions Eugene, named after Eugene Debs, would fit that bill a bit better.

10. HeyItsThatGuy

HeyItsThatGuy Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2016 Illinois

My favorite actor of my childhood, the late Robin Williams....God I miss him ;_(

connecticutpoet likes this.
  11. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,198) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Society Trader

Michael Jackson (not the singer) was the first person I thought of. I bet Peter Capaldi would love a good ale too. But if I had to nail it down for sure, I would say my friend Bob Vining. He's been gone two years as of last week, very sudden, and he and I had many good beer drinking adventures. Hunting for beers, brewfests, splitting 3 - 5 beers every Thursday and Sunday for a while.

cavedave likes this.
  12. lester619

And the guy sitting next to you would pay the tab.:grinning:

yesterdayfaraway and Brutaltruth like this.
  13. rronin

rronin Initiate (179) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

This close to Father's Day all the mentions of dads and uncles brings to mind my late father-in-law, as kind, witty, and warm a gentleman as you could imagine. I can remember many an evening in his game room, playing poker, cracking jokes and, of course, drinking beer. Miss you, Ray, and thank you for the sweet girl you brought into the world.

14. Mitchmoore12

Mitchmoore12 Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2016 Texas

I would want to share a Copper Amber Ale from the Olde Mecklenburg Brewery with Buzz Aldrin in a quiet corner at a cozy pub. So many questions to ask him, so many answers possible!

15. spelingchampeon

spelingchampeon Meyvn (1,070) Feb 21, 2016 Delaware
    Society Trader

My mom and dad.

She'd no doubt have a Natty Boh, he'd go with a Blue Moon.. I'd have the Bells Kalamazoo.

16. RonaldWilsonReagan

RonaldWilsonReagan Initiate (132) Apr 4, 2015 California

Probably Antonin Scalia, or the Gipper himself.

Brolo75 and Brutaltruth like this.
  17. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Disciple (317) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

:rolling_eyes: I'd have a Corona with Drumpf he'd use it as proof that he loves Mexico

#577 cmiller4642, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  18. DegenErik

DegenErik Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Serbia

Van Gogh
    We would probably drink a stronger beer, like 15+ABV.
    And then finish the day with absinthe at a local pub in Paris.
    PS: Hope my ears stay intact.

19. mschrei

mschrei Poo-Bah (2,553) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

America's first beer nerd, Thomas Jefferson. Pints and politics at the local tavern.

Brutaltruth likes this.
  20. Caj1

Caj1 Aspirant (216) Jul 2, 2013 Texas

Joey Bag o' Donuts.
    I love that guy.

21. JakeTheSnake30

JakeTheSnake30 Initiate (58) Nov 14, 2015 Massachusetts

Sean Lawson or Jimmy Johnson (NFL not NASCAR)

22. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

Babe Ruth. I would let him "call the shot" on which beer but I imagine it would probably be a PBR. Hot dogs, cigars, and beer in the dugout with the great bambino, that would be an experience!

23. Andre_poursoneforu

Andre_poursoneforu Initiate (0) May 22, 2016 Florida

First thought was my grandfather, type of beer hmm not entirely sure.

24. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (131) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

I would have a beer with the one and only Babe Ruth. He would probably want a lager from New York that he could drink lots of so lets go with Toasted Lager by Blue Point.

"Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
    -Babe Ruth

25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,081) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

:astonished: I'm thinking it would be Jacob Ruppert's Knickerbocker Beer* - it was Ruppert who was signing Ruth's paychecks (and contract, as seen below) ---Babe might have even gotten an employee discount on the purchase.
    [​IMG]

* Yeah, no longer brewed (probably ended with Heileman, which bought the brand when they bought Schmidt's and Rheingold in the mid-80s, the latter had brewed it since the mid-60s after the demise of NYC's Jacob Ruppert Brewing Co.) but, what the hell - if the Babe can be reborn, why not Knickerbocker Beer?

The best part of the Ruppert Knickerbocker Beer story - it was among the best-selling beers in New England at one time.

Uh, not quite. http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php...n_i_reflect_on_all_the_beer_i_drink_babe_ruth

#585 jesskidden, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Andy1010 likes this.
  26. AMDDD

AMDDD Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2014 Texas

As much as I hate his politics and the disgust i harbor for his wicked wife, I think it would be fun to knock down a few Pabst Blue Ribbons with Bill Clinton. It would quickly descend into a monster. Beer pong, keg stands, naked twister with a bunch of chicks, hours of rounds of super smash bros. the whole shebang

27. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,430) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Would Clinton swallow?

28. Andy1010

Andy1010 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 Indiana

No, but Monica Lewinsky would.....

woodchipper likes this.
  29. moose1980

moose1980 Devotee (426) Jan 1, 2015 Germany
    Trader

30. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

I would love to have a round with Michael Jackson (not the beer dude, the king of pop)
    just for fun...

granted, i would prefer to sit out of arms reach though....

31. Reemer686

Reemer686 Initiate (131) Oct 13, 2014 Maryland

Damn! I should have done my due diligence. Come on, everything on the internet is true right? Lol

VABA likes this.
  32. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,081) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The King of Pop drank the King of Beers...(this day, anyway - recording "We Are The World").
    [​IMG]
    Don't know what Springsteen's (left) is drinking...

smbslt and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  33. BrokenEdge

BrokenEdge Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2015 Pennsylvania

Off the top of my head, I'd go with Michael Fassbender. He seems like a fun guy to hang out with and I MAY have a slight crush on him... :flushed:

I have this framed and hanging on my wall, my boyfriend hates it.
    [​IMG]

34. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,834) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society Trader

Had this question posed to me in a college class years ago (it was who would you like to have lunch with)...same answer for me, either Babe Ruth or all Three Stooges (Curly please)

VABA likes this.
  35. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Meyvn (1,080) May 21, 2015 Missouri

A night of drinking would have to be Andre the Giant!

36. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,080) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I'd love to have one more beer with my Dad. He was a 1st Lieutenant Army infantry officer that was involved in the beach assault at Leyte (Philippines)- still the largest naval battle in history- near the end of the war. He died at 58 in 1976. I know that he lived with PTSD for most of the post war years. At the end of his life, he did tell me about his experiences. All of his platoon survived and I have a number of letters from his immediate group. My Dad was wounded twice, everyone saved each other numerous times, and the platoon was cited by George C. Marshall. They all did a helluva job!

nc41 likes this.
  37. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Champion (878) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

With Jim Morrisson.

38. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Champion (878) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

Yeah, good choice, or Randy Savage.

39. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (136) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Jack Nicholson. He's just so cool... or older AL Pacino with his gruffy, yelling voice.

Dutchcraftbeergeek and rgordon like this.
  40. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,509) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Great story , cheers. No deployments these guys were in for the duration. Had to be a bitch mentally.

rgordon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.