If you could have a realistic brewery distribute to your area who would it be?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cmiller4642, Apr 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invertalon

invertalon Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Allagash would be my vote.

LeRose and rronin like this.
  2. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Was down there on Thursday for a couple pints of it. Excellent stuff, as you've said. SO happy Hart goes out of his way to get these kinds of beers.

McMatt7 likes this.
  3. Ranbot

Ranbot Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Not at all....

I was a put off by Melvin's recent unprofessional conduct and harassment, and their beer here is mostly IPAs that I find interchangeable with so many other IPAs.

I tried several Shorts beers when they first arrived in PA and was very underwhelmed.

I've had some Jester King and Stillwater, and it was good, but not good enough to justify their significantly higher price...YRMV.

Notch is making czech-inspired beer styles, which is unique for the US market, at affordable prices. They are far more interesting to me.

Mvsmvs92, meefmoff and FBarber like this.
  4. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Apr 23, 2017 California

Buzzed wishful thinking is what it was.

5. Dan_K

Dan_K Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Not sure if I would get any. Honestly there is more awesome stuff here than I know what to do with. It far exceeds my capacity to purchase. It would be nice to get all the Weldwerks stuff without the usual 4-6 hour round trip that I make at least once a month.

LeRose and sharpski like this.
  6. jhavs

jhavs Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

Vermont and MA gets Melvin too.

7. Kraz

Kraz Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

We just got Firestone Walker here in Indiana, and for the most part it has been great (Lupilin Distortion or whatever it is called was the most bland beer I've had in awhile from a big brewer), but, I wish some of the Chicago bigger boys like Mikerphone or even Maplewood would distro to their friends here 60 miles away. My unrealistic one is Jester King or Trill

8. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I second that motion.

Ranbot likes this.
  9. DrewSnyc667

DrewSnyc667 Jul 25, 2011 Massachusetts

Fair enough, I’m with you on Melvin, but, as someone who gets total notch distribution I must disagree. While top quality, no doubt, their lineup is rather limited and when compared to others in the region, really is mediocre. This is my opinion and mine only. Cheers tho.

LeRose likes this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

When you say "limited" and "mediocre" it makes me think that you mean "there aren't any NEIPAs, BBA stouts, or BA sours".

Ranbot likes this.
  11. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Perennial
    Side Project/Shared
    3 Floyds
    Half Acre
    Revolution
    Lupulin

12. Leebo

Leebo Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

Everyone is making a good pilsner these days, NE Ipa is so yesterday.

13. Leebo

Leebo Feb 7, 2013 Massachusetts

You mean compared to all the other Czech inspired session brewers? Oh, there aren't any. Limited lineup? Have you been there through out the year? Some limited distro sure, but a constantly rotating tap list at the brewery.

14. MikeWard

MikeWard Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Schlafly distribute to some of the states around PA, but no the Commonwealth itself. Reaching out a bit, (or maybe a lot) Surly and New Glarus would be wonderful.

bret717 likes this.
  15. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I’m in SC, I’d like

Burial, NC
    Creature Comforts, GA
    Veil, VA
    Tired Hands, PA
    Surly, MN

16. jlharman

jlharman Apr 5, 2015 Washington

17. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Limited just to breweries located in and/or that distro to bordering states: Deschutes, Fat Head's, Jester King, Neshaminy Creek, Notch, Summit, Tired Hands, Tree House, Trillium, and Yards.

Then there are the 'gray-area' breweries whose beers I've heard about being available in NY, actually seen, or even bought here, but which don't officially distribute here (AFAIK), that I wish were more widely obtainable: Alchemist, Hill Farmstead, Lawson's, Urban Chestnut

Oh, and a special mention for Great Lakes. They're supposedly in NY officially (according to SeekABrew), just nowhere in my part of the state. :rolling_eyes:

18. jcos

jcos Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

There are more styles of lager than just one.

19. EvenMoreJesus

Curious as to how you fellas feel about the German-inspired efforts of breweries like Victory and Troegs?

rudiecantfail likes this.
  20. JmanEspresso

JmanEspresso Apr 11, 2010 New York

Tree House and Trillium are close enough that Distro could become a reality someday. I think its about an hour, maybe 90min drive to Tree House. So Ill say yes, them.

Really tho, I want Modern Times here. We "technically" get modern times, but, as told from MT themselves, their east coast distro is suffering currently. What will happen, is the REALLY good beer shops, randomly, will get a couple of thier main lineup beers now and then. Fruitlands, Fortunate Islands, Blackhouse.. thats generally all we see here. Dont get me wrong, I really like all three of those beers, but Modern Times releases so much more beer than that, and I want it all. So very jealous of those who live in San Diego and can visit the fermatorium on a daily basis. The almost daily Insta pics of on-tap only beers is torture. Saving grace is my best friend lives in the North Bay area, and he can get pretty much the majority of what they release in bottles and cans, so he sends me some gems from time to time.

The reality is tho, local breweries are killing it. I want Modern Times because Im a fan boy and I cant have it. Im not missing out though. The likes of Equilibrium, Industrial Arts, Hudson Valley, Interboro, Finback, Other Half, and a bunch of others, are all within about an hour of my house, Hudson Valley and Industrial Arts are even closer. With that, plus the great local beer shops with awesome selections and constantly rotating taps, I cant even keep track of all the new beers I drink, of which, 90% are less than a week old. Would I like to see a full Modern Times distro at my shops? yeah. Do I need it? Not even a little bit.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  21. Squire

Squire Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

I'll let 'cha know when they get here.

22. Druid_51

Druid_51 Aug 11, 2013 Kentucky

I live in N KY....would love to see Brew Kettle return to here. White Rajah rocks!!!

23. jcos

jcos Nov 23, 2009 Maryland

I like Victory Prima Pils, admittedly I should probably look for more styles from these two. I do enjoy Great Lakes lagers when I venture into Virginia.

FBarber likes this.
  24. Raj

Raj Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Allagash
    New Glarus
    Live Oak
    Funkwerks

threeviews likes this.
  25. Ranbot

Ranbot Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I'm kind of so-so on them. Victory Prima Pils and Troegs Sunshine Pils don't do it for me, but I know they are well-regarded. I retry them periodically, but they don't do it for me... maybe I have some cognitive bias I can't through. Troegenator is a classic that I always have some of every year. I like Victory's Helles, slightly more than Sly Fox Helles even, but I buy way more Sly Fox, because it's my wife's favorite beer. Otherwise, no other German style beers from either brewer really stands out to me.

I haven't had an opportunity to go to Victory for Braumeister Pils, which I hear is very good.

FBarber likes this.
  26. drinkin-beeers

drinkin-beeers Jan 29, 2014 Montana

Fremont, Reubens, Bale Breaker are all welcome to show up in MT as soon as possible.

jlharman likes this.
  27. TheIPAHunter

TheIPAHunter Aug 12, 2007 California
    Society Trader

Honestly, and no offense to John Kimmich, I think at this point it's time for Heady to get a limited footprint. The mystique is long gone, at least for me. While I will always hold that original taste in my pantheon of favorite IPAs, I think Alchemist could stand to make some more money off this iconic brew.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  28. rgordon

rgordon Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The "unrealistic" ones, any number of them.

29. rronin

rronin Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Yuengling, just to satisfy my curiosity.

rudiecantfail and FBarber like this.
  30. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

You're in luck:

31. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

You're also in luck:

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  32. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Odell, if I can get fresh Myrcenary I'd be excited. As it is, my cousin brings some in twice a year.

jimmyfishkin, RyanK252 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  33. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Me too. They're just across that little pond, or they could sneak in thru the back door via the UP. What could be easier?

I'll add Fat Head's too.

#73 PapaGoose03, Apr 10, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  34. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

New Glarus.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  35. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Mar 19, 2011 Ohio

Would love to see Allagash in Ohio.

36. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

As mentioned above, New Glarus anywhere outside WI...the west coast might be a stretch. Surly, ditto, speaking as a Midwest transplant.

Be interesting to see Firestone Walker, Russian River, Fremont and others of that ilk show up in the upper Midwest!

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  37. Tripel_Threat

Society Trader

Seriously, if I could get New Glarus and Upper Hand in the UP I'd make a trip across the bridge every summer.

Speaking of which, having Upper Hand distribute to the lower peninsula would be awesome. UPA is such a great pale ale.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  38. SoleBriety

SoleBriety Oct 10, 2013 California
    Society Trader

I'm in San Diego.

I would love to see these breweries distro'd to us:

Great Lakes Brewing
    Fat Head
    Mad Tree
    Other Half
    New Glarus
    Surly

I know i've missed a few breweries, but this would make me happy.

RyanK252 likes this.
  39. DrewSnyc667

DcdSSAAZZzzaZ
    This thread was about distribution, correct? Not quality, or taproom availability, but distribution. And, fact is, Notch distributes at most 4 beers, all of which are not even close to the best options in their style category at their price point in Massachusetts.

JMFBOSTON and LeRose like this.
  40. DrewSnyc667

Not at all, I mean they make an above average session IPA, an above average pils, an above average wheat ale...but again, I live in Boston, arguably the greatest Beer city on earth, so maybe I’m spoiled. But when I go to a shop, and I see their beers and I see others of the same or similar style, I typically find myself choosing other options, especially considering price. For example, I’d rather have founders all day ipa over left of dial. I’d also rather just have a wormtown be hoppy. That’s all I’m saying.

LeRose likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.