If you could ONLY drink Macro American Adjunct Lagers would you still drink beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

For me, it's not a matter of "knowing any different". My first beer was non-craft, and I couldn't get past the neck of the bottle before finally giving up on it. It was six months before I could actually finish a 12 ounce bottle of any beer (it was a Molson), and even then I only really struggled through it because I was tired of being the one who wasn't drinking anything. That was when I started exploring other drinks, and ordered them exclusively - until I was introduced to craft. So personally, if craft beer hadn't existed, I wouldn't be a beer drinker. I simply did not like the taste of macro beer.

rlcoffey likes this.
  2. brewandstew

brewandstew Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2008 Maryland

I'd move to Ecuador and drink their 'local' Macro, PILSENER. I would operate some type of business in a coastal beach town and enjoy the 75 cent bombers all weekend.

dumpman likes this.
  3. frazbri

frazbri Crusader (775) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

If good beer disappeared by the action of some science fiction style plot twist, I don't know that I could go back to drinking bud. It served it's purpose, but I never loved the style, it was more like toleration. I know I wouldn't drink nearly as much beer as I do now.

If "craft" beer never existed, I'd probably still drink some beer in the right social occasions, but I would not be the beer guy I am today. Maybe I'd be a wine or whiskey advocate?

4. diesel59

diesel59 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 New York

absolutely.......................... and LOTS of it!

5. BamBamJohnny

BamBamJohnny Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2011 Georgia

hahahah fucking High LIFE, Pabsts, Sprecher Special Amber, OE!!!! You don't need to know the alphabet to recognize a G

6. fx20736

fx20736 Meyvn (1,012) Mar 7, 2009 New York

nice to know there are friends here.

timontheroad likes this.
  7. Eduk8traz

Eduk8traz Initiate (128) Nov 13, 2010 Arizona

Nope, there's plenty of other quality spirits to drink.

8. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Disciple (304) Aug 1, 2009 Washington

Campari and soda with lime porfavor!

9. BLACKENEDPLAGUE

BLACKENEDPLAGUE Initiate (0) Apr 10, 2013 Ohio

Not really a picky person, so in all honesty yes I would still drink beer. However, that question implies non-US macro beers aren't as equally inhospitable, in which case you can take your 'murica hatin' and kiss mah flag

10. Rainier

Rainier Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 California

Nope, Ima just keep roasting my coffee and just drink more of that.

Zimbo likes this.
  11. Beer365

Beer365 Initiate (0) Dec 14, 2012 California

If I didnt know better I am sure I would but give me macro only now, I'd probably switch to wine.

12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,794) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Those are pretty cool drinks even though the beerpocalypse isn't upon us: even better is the Campari mixed with prosecco. Heck- if the dark days do come I bet that would be a good thing to lively-up those AALs- just add a shot of Campari or Averna, and even (God forbid) a citrus slice or two. Actually, I may have to try that one of these days...

devlishdamsel likes this.
  13. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (10,343) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

Yes, but I would be way more into spirits & probably retarded priced Bourbon & Rum instead.

14. dianimal

dianimal Aspirant (230) Apr 18, 2012 California

probably just as much as I used to, which was not very often.

15. cdmillard

cdmillard Aspirant (201) Feb 17, 2013 Maryland

Survived on it for MANY years before getting deep into Craft Beer. Yeah..I would still drink beer...just wouldn't be as happy!

16. douginromeo

douginromeo Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Michigan

I'd be a liquor and wine guy exclusively - can't put the spilled milk back into the bottle.

17. Neorebel

Neorebel Crusader (760) Jun 29, 2005 New Jersey

Perhaps just to chase mediocre hard liquor!

18. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Once in a while, but not like I do now. I'd probably also binge drink more...

19. craigo19

craigo19 Devotee (463) Oct 12, 2009 Michigan
    Trader

I'd would Yuengling and a lot more than my one pot a day of coffee.

20. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (4,485) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Cool story bro but did you ever think that "Jar of Budweiser" was just a piss jug? If you never seen him drinking thats all I could think of when reading.

And back on topic yeah I would still drink Adjacent lagers and such. I have always drank rolling rock with no problems so if it's the only beer I would still drink it. Probably drink liquor too since wine makes me gag.

21. Acidisco

Acidisco Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2010 Massachusetts

I probably would in social situations or something like that, but I wouldn't be savoring them by myself on a cool night and enjoying it the way we enjoy our fine beers. I'd probably drink less, or be more of a wine connoisseur.

22. smitherz22

smitherz22 Initiate (0) May 8, 2012 California

BMC lagers definitely have a place in my life - sometimes a 40 of Hamms really is just what the doctor ordered. Or a banquet beer. Or a Bud tall boy. I like beer. All beer. ...well, mostly all beer. My only drain pours have been some craft beers, though.

fx20736 likes this.
  23. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (343) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia
    Trader

24. SaintBenedict

SaintBenedict Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2009 Pennsylvania

25. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (4,345) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota
    Society

Yes. Coors Original would be my top shelf beer. I actually kind of find some helles characteristics in it...very subtle thought

26. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,873) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Society Trader

Absolutely, I would have saved a lot of money. However, I wouldn't be obsessed with beer like I am now.

I don't get addicted interested with toilet paper. If it is what it is, then I'd still be drinking cheap beer and enjoying it. I will say thought that I prefer Yuengling (not sure if that counts) and cans of...Tecate or PBR.

27. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2012 California

Probably yes, since I wouldn't know any better.

28. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

I'd make my own beer.

29. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (972) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Absolutely no. No no no.

30. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

31. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,841) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

No, I would loose a purpose to drink beer... I probably wouldnt drink anymore if craft beer wasnt an option.

32. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,233) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Yes. Every summer when we go camping in Colorado I buy a 30 pack of Extra Gold by Coors. I look forward to that as much as I do the craft selections I get out there that I don't have in my area. Because ultimately beer is still beer.

33. BogBoyJD

BogBoyJD Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 Ireland

Yuengling Lager. No fukin question. Every time I'm home I always have a few for nostalgia's sake.

34. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (510) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

Not even. Don't like the taste of AALs.

35. baconman91

baconman91 Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 Ohio

you mean "AdjunK"..right? :wink:

36. bmilt

bmilt Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina

Yeah, but there would be a lot more liquor involved in my drinking

37. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2006 New York

I just saw "Busch Classic" in a store the other day and I was tempted to buy it if it was actually the original recipe.
    Does anyone know anything about "Busch Classic"?

[​IMG]

38. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2011 Bolivia

Yes, beer is why I drink beer.

dianimal and fx20736 like this.
  39. Retail1LO

Retail1LO Initiate (0) May 4, 2011 Pennsylvania

Nope. I only drink beer once a week on average as is, and it's only because of what I have available to me. I'd go right back to hard liquor and mixed drinks...exactly where I came from before the current craft beer scene evolved into what it is.

40. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,076) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Their website just says "2012 - Busch beer introduces retro packaging saluting its "Classic" look from years past" (and looks like the did the same thing in '05 for the 50th anniversary of the brand). It is curious why they didn't call it by the original full "Busch Bavarian" name.

Busch was only created in the mid-1950's to give the brewery and its wholesalers a cheaper beer to compete against competing regional "popular priced" beers, and was only sold in certain parts of the country for a long time after that. It was also brewed with corn as an adjunct, over the dead body of Adolphus Busch :wink: who told a congressional committee in 1902 -"Corn does not make a high grade of beer, because of certain oily substances which it contains. They are partly transformed into fusel oil after fermentation."

Since it's a creation of the '50's, the recipe today is probably not that much different than the original. A different hop schedule and probably once a slightly higher ibu figure. Maybe corn syrup used today instead of corn grits or flakes, and a higher ratio of adjunct. All things AB probably wouldn't want to admit to by making an "original" recipe version.

JoeyBeerBelly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.