If you don't brew beer...why not?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by herrburgess, Mar 27, 2013.

?

If you don't brew beer, why not?

1. Too expensive

7.0%
  2. Too complicated/intimidating

6.4%
  3. I'm satisfied drinking the stuff others produce

15.9%
  4. I don't think I could make beer as good as my favorites

14.2%
  5. All of the above

24.3%
  6. Other (please indicate)

32.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jettanbass9

Jettanbass9 Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

How so? I brew all grain and have been for quite a while but every once and again I brew with extract and can make a pretty damn good beer. Don't think brewing with extract is beneath all grain. In fact, for quite a few styles, its probably the best option to save time.

Northern Brewer offers some excellent malt extract from Munich malt, Maris Otter, Pilsner and Rye... I would revisit extract if I were you.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  2. DinoFight

DinoFight Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 Arizona

I went with other. Basically don't drink enough. Due to work and the many after school sports and dance events my kids are in doesn't leave me much time during the work week. Typically only have a few brews on Fridays and Saturdays. My homebrew probably would go bad by the time I even got close to drinking half of it. But, if anyone knows of a product that would allow me to brew in smaller batches I might give it a go. Guess I could always change the amount of ingredients? Might be more trouble than its worth.

Mr. Beer, anyone try that? Although doesn't seem like you can create your own recipes with that?

3. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

I home brew and love it! I love knowing exactly how and what went into my beer. I only do it with a group of my buddies. I highly reccommend it to anyone considering it.

Smokebox_79 likes this.
  4. MRsojourner

MRsojourner Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2011 Massachusetts

Really....8hrs? I've (you can) get it down to about 4 1/2 hrs. that's with a 1hr mash 1/2hr sparge & 60 to 90 minute boil and 15min cooling.
    I want to drink a lot of saisons and cant afford the amount of Belgians that I like to drink even though I still buy a large amount of craft beer

5. abcramer

abcramer Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I used to homebrew, but gave it up after about 25 batches. It became too time-consuming, and I just did not want to invest the money in the equipment needed to really do it right. I'm happy drinking craft beer that others make.

6. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,303) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois

I brewed for a little while, but nothing ever turned out even close to what I can purchase at any given time. Living in Chicago area I have access to soooo many awesome beers its just not worth it to me. If I lived in in the middle of nowhere I would get it down to a science, but just don't have the time or want to right now to brew.

7. csbinva

csbinva Initiate (176) Jan 13, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

I'm in the other category, just because the best spot in the house for fermentation/constant temperature is my kids bathroom and with four kids, it just doesn't work. I have tried it on several occasions, had a very nice nugget nectar clone rolling along and damnit if the four year old who was upstairs playing legos didn't mess with the bucket and screw it to hell. He will be five in a month so dad will be back at it again. On the flip side, my nine year old is helping me grow hops so we will be brewing a wet hop this fall and I plan on getting all of them in on it so maybe they won't screw with it, plus it helps to keep the wife off my back. Ha.

8. frazbri

frazbri Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2003 Ohio

It's more looking for the next challenge, than the quality.

9. sukwonee

sukwonee Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2011 Washington

I am good at consuming things but am not very good at making things.

BKBassist likes this.
  10. gcamparone

gcamparone Poo-Bah (2,043) Dec 6, 2011 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

What about "I don't have time" or "I'm too lazy" as choices?

11. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Initiate (0) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin

I have a finite amount of space at the moment once I have more room there would be no stopping me.

Kerrie likes this.
  12. njhopspop

njhopspop Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2010 New Jersey

No $$. No time. No space.

Kerrie likes this.
  13. decimator

decimator Initiate (0) Jun 1, 2009 Canada (ON)

Other:
    I currently don't have the time or space to get into home brewing.

14. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 California

Because I live in a Jeep.

15. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (341) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona

I don't "brew" because of too many hobbies already and there is such a wonderful selection of beers like DIPA's that I really like to buy. Having said that, every Christmas I have a tradition of making a batch of Honey Mead. Over the years the extra equipment needed has been bought, honey is only marginally expensive to me, there is enough space to hide away for a month the primary under acceptable temps for mead; so I do that because it is really hard for me to buy the mead I like to drink. Someday, perhaps, I would love to have a crack at a high ABV stout.

16. Azzy

Azzy Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2012 Texas

Too time consuming. Ive brewed a few times but it takes a few hours to make a batch. Then need fridge space and all that

17. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

and then your batch is over carbonated... time to start over.

18. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poo-Bah (10,197) Dec 4, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

You could always do a half batch instead and depending on what you drink, I bet you could brew a beer that's just as good if not better. You'll eventually hit a point where your friends start asking for your beer and it won't last very long. (But, it is time consuming like you said, though.)

19. LuckyJohn

LuckyJohn Aspirant (291) Feb 6, 2013 Colorado

I barely have enough time (and attention span) to keep my houseplants alive. Sometimes I even fail at that, such as when I'm on the road for three weeks...

20. MickJ0nes

MickJ0nes Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2012 Pennsylvania

My extract brewing timeline....

1st batch 9/12 - Octoberfest kit was a mess 5.9 abv Drain Pour
    2nd batch 10/12 - Belgian Tripel kit banana bomb but getting better with age 8.7 abv Very Drinkable
    3rd batch 10/12 IIPA kit with 3 additional hop additions EKG, Warrior and dry hopped with Citra 9.2 abv Very Good
    4th 11/12 RIS kit aged two months in a whiskey barrel. 8.5 abv Very Very Good
    5th 12/12 Porter kit with extra DME and extra late UK Fuggle addition three months in barrel with 12oz. Knob Creek Rye Whiskey as well as two Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans abv unknown. Priceless

Start up was about $300 and we're at about $1200 to get everything needed to make these 10 cases + about 35 hours labor over the last 6 months. The last batch cost about $70 for 25 bombers of great BA Porter. We hope to be selling to you by 2020.

21. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine
    Deactivated

brewing beer made me appreciate lagers more. or hybrid styles such as kolsch.

22. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

Was getting into homebrewing before I moved to Paris. There are numerous reasons why I have not started here.

1) I used to live in a 15m2 apt=175 sq. ft : I now live in a "mansion" 35m2=385 sq. ft. IMO that isn't enough room to homebrew the way that I would like.

2) Now that I work in the beer industry, I enjoy spending my free time with my wife and doing other things.

Side-bar: I guess that you can say that I will be brewing, because I am working on a project to start commercially brewing in France, so, no real need to homebrew.

23. pixieskid

pixieskid Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2009 Germany

You got a whiskey barrel before you've even gotten off the extract...interesting.

24. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

It sounds fun, and I want to try but how many dollars do I have to spend before my first batch turns out "good"?

25. SaisonFest

SaisonFest Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2012 Washington

Space / Time + Money^3 - desire = reality.

bastu likes this.
  26. MickJ0nes

Get a friend to split the cost with you. Read as much as you can. Concentrate on sterilization. You most likely will think your first few batches are great until you start reading about off flavors and what causes them. I still do extract kits but I now understand how to tweek them to make them great.

It's like making BBQ sauce. You take a cheap bottle of Hunt's then add some Tabasco and a little Brown Sugar and Worcesterchire a bit of Bacon cook it down longer and now it's edible.

As far as cost $300 out the gate for your start up and first kit. As you get hooked you will spend more.

27. MickJ0nes

Yep... The barrel does all the work. Found a fresh Balconies Barrel for $80 and ran with it.

28. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (499) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Time ,money and space.

29. ubenumber2

ubenumber2 Zealot (554) Sep 1, 2012 Arkansas

I get confused by people who say home brewing doesnt save any money. After the initial investment in equipment the cost is very low. I can make a batch of beer for around 17 to 18 bucks , so just about 2.00 a six pack. I brew all grain , I buy my hops wholesale by the pound so I get them for well under a buck an ounce , I buy my grains online where I can get free shipping , I reuse yeast cakes when I get a good batch or use dry yeast which I can get a really good flavor from. I use beer bottles I save from beer I purchase and buy my caps by the gross which makes it cheaper. Cost , other than the equipment you need , should not be a factor. 2.00 a six pack and Ive loved about all the beer I have made. I also made my equimpent at start up for around 60.00 , it was a ghetto set up but it worked and it was cheap , built all my own stuff that could be built

MickJ0nes, cavedave and RStang13 like this.
  30. HipsterBrewfus

HipsterBrewfus Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2012 Maryland

With my one gallon kit, and the extras (pots. strainers. auto siphon and such) I'm probably out maybe...$100-$120? And a grain recipe costs about 15 dollars after the first batch

31. dmnielsen

dmnielsen Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2011 Michigan

I have a very small house with no spare space. As soon as we move I will explore this more.

Kerrie likes this.
  32. RStang13

RStang13 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2011 New Jersey

I'm not sure I understand the money situation. Brew in your kitchen with partial boils, use Home Depot buckets to ferm in, buy in bulk, reuse yeast. Since moving back to extract, I brewed an 11% RIS for less than 50 bucks

33. Smokebox_79

Smokebox_79 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 Pennsylvania

Everyone says homebrewing is difficult.... Its easy as hell people!!!! If a dummy like me can make an IPA that blew my doors off, ANYONE can!! Been brewing for almost 2 months and I have 2 bros that went in with me, we never run out of beer and I haven't bought beer in over a month. I LOVE IT!!!!! And get Beersmith, takes all the guess work and complexity out of brewing!

34. HipsterBrewfus

For some people, even an additional $20 can mean something more dire.

ever been poor?

Now admittedly, this isn't the best hobby to be in if you're broke, but still.

harrylee773 and Kerrie like this.
  35. gdodd12

gdodd12 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2009 Georgia

Because of time and I'm an idiot that would fuck it up and waste time and money.

36. Smokebox_79

Smokebox_79 Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 Pennsylvania

My buddy And I brewed an Irish Red Ale completely shitfaced and it turned out brilliant.... dont let intelligence stop you!!!

RStang13 likes this.
  37. RStang13

RStang13 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2011 New Jersey

I hear ya, but beer can be brewed for much cheaper than I do. And we're talking about $50 for two cases of 11% damn good imperial stout. People pay that for a single bottle on a regular basis on this site.

38. abkayak

abkayak Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2013 New York

I took a brew class just so I was more knowledgeable about beer..than my wife surprised me with a "Mr. Beer" I had my designs on something a little more grand when i was ready..now I really want to give it a whirl but the friging style is American Light and I throw up at the thought of that...trying to figure out what to do next

39. joeebbs

joeebbs Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Pennsylvania

right but this included cleaning of everything beforehand and after as well as getting that water up to temperature. He's bought a lot more stuff to hopefully make things more effective and quicker. For instance we probably have never had a 15 minute cooling.

40. HipsterBrewfus

And those people are "suckers"

RStang13 and herrburgess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.