If You Had To Move Away From New England ...

Discussion in 'New England' started by BeerKangaroo, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Alaska

Some of you know I`m movin' this summer, some of you are glad, and some of you don't care. Without becoming too sentimental, I`ve given some thought to some breweries I`m going to miss.

For me:

Maine Beer Co.
    Jack`s Abby
    Rising Tide
    Portsmouth Brewery
    Smuttynose

are my main ones, but also have some love for Atlantic Brewing Co, Bar Harbor Brewing Co. Baxter`s, Narragansett and at the fringe of New England - Brewery Ommegang. I can't say Hill Farmstead or Lawson`s since I`ve never had anything by them other than a Collaboration brew Lawson`s and MBC did together. The Alchemist doesn't count since I`ve only had one beer by them. So now, I`m curious, if you had to move away, what would you miss?

2. concealed

concealed Aspirant (281) May 7, 2009 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Hill Farmstead

Horbar and jomobono like this.
  3. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

NEBCO. i actually have technically moved away from new england (sort of), but luckily i take the train to new haven somewhat regularly, so i often get my NEBCO fill. CBC and jack's abby i would also miss, but having good friends in boston helps that as well.

new england really is a good region for beer. VT is obviously on top of the world nowadays (not really; amazing though they are, i still don't think 3 top end of world class breweries makes a state compete with the variety plus quality of like california and oregon, but whatever), but MA and CT have some real overachievers as well. MBC, smutty, allagash, lots of others also great in new england. pretty things. etc.

4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Alchemist, Blue Lobster, Jack's Abby, Lawson's.

OtisCampbell and BeerKangaroo like this.
  5. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I would probably miss Jack's Abby the most just because I buy a lot of their stuff and they've just been killing it lately. That said. I would really miss the tremendous variety of easily accessible NE breweries (or not quite NE breweries that are available in NE).

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  6. Rochefort10nh

Rochefort10nh Champion (856) Sep 30, 2005 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

HILL FARMSTEAD and then...

Allagash's Coolship releases
    Heady Topper runs
    Lawson's
    Jack's Abbey

7. Brez07

Brez07 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2009 Maine

Shit, you don't even have to leave NE to miss a brewery. I really miss going to NEBCO. Used to frequent it when my girlfriend was down in that area for grad school.

If I left Maine, Oxbow is the brewery I'd miss the most. FPA is my go to beer at places not named Novare, Sasuga is fantastic right now and they have laid back releases. The way (beer) life should be...

Davl22, tehzachatak and woosterbill like this.
  8. keysburg

keysburg Initiate (138) Mar 28, 2012 Massachusetts

Jack's Abbey and Pretty Things.

9. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I would miss Ipswich Oatmeal Stout. Most everything else that I like is either distributed wide enough or can be easily replaced.

mpyoung215 and BeerKangaroo like this.
  10. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Just fyi...MBC distributes as far south as VA. Smuttynose and Narragansett to Florida and the midwest. Ommegang to 43 states.

For me, CBC, particularly their excellent yet affordable sour and funky beers.

11. BeerKangaroo

My bad, probably should have said I`m movin to Alaska. But thanx for that, I`ll have to look up to c if Ommegang goes to AK, unless if you know off the top of your head.

12. BeerKangaroo

Wow, you guys make me feel bad, gonna have to come back some day just to try more that I missed. Thanx to everyone who gave awesome feedback.

Adam

13. celfan

celfan Disciple (323) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Heady and Hill Farmstead.

Then Lawson's on next level.

That's it.

If I can't get one of those three I usually go Belgian or English.

14. emannths

emannths Initiate (187) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Ha! Nevermind New England--you're going much farther than that!

FYI, here's the disto to Alaska: http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/?s=AK&sort=alpha . You'll get Ommegang. Stone, Deschutes, Jolly Pumpkin, Lagunitas, Victory too...you'll survive. :wink:

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  15. BeerKangaroo

Sigh of relief, thank you a ton, my friend, as you're quicker than me.

16. BeerKangaroo

I haven't had much by Ipswich, but I did have that beer once and liked that a lot.

17. tigg924

tigg924 Poo-Bah (3,909) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Lately I have really been getting into Mystic...I think that is the brewery I would miss most...Cape Cod is another I would miss--solid, interesting, and affordable.

18. dunix

dunix Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2011 Vermont

Make the trip before you move. Fyi, Vermont is way closer to Maine than Alaska. :wink:

They only make one beer, and it is the only beer you'll ever need in your life.

The above mentioned 3 would be what I miss.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  19. unclekeith

unclekeith Defender (612) Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Beer Trader

20. woosterbill

woosterbill Poo-Bah (2,616) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

NEBCO by far, as they are my beloved local brewery and they only real staple in my beer fridge.

Nothing else in CT would be hard to give up, but I would miss HT, HF, Lawson's, Oxbow, and Jack's Abby all being relatively short road trips away.

oldedog likes this.
  21. BeerKangaroo

Oh yeah, tried to get out there to VT, but lack of some funding caused me to stay where I am.

22. BeerKangaroo

23. BeerKangaroo

Wishing I would have had some NEBCO before I leave, not sure if I'm gonna pull that off. I hear the Gandhi Bot is spectacular.

Also, wishing I would have had more Oxbow to rank up in my New England beer files, but only ever had two of their beers.

Stuff to dream about ....

24. Brez07

Not sure where in Maine you are, but if it's in the southern part you're most likely only ~1 hour or less away from Oxbow. Take a trip after work someday - they have a nice little tap room that usually has at least 4 of their beers to sample and they do growlers as well

25. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,449) Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

if you have the $$$, scalp some tix into this:

https://www.theculminationfestival.com/

sounds like the fest to end all fests. you could get a world class beer for every sample and still leave thinking you missed out.

26. BeerKangaroo

Thanx, might have to check that out, I'm close to Portland, so I think its about an hour north of where I live.

27. Brez07

Daaaaaaaamn. Looks like it's sold out though... although there's probably a secondary tix market?

28. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I mean, the beer list looks really good (and given my experience, I would imagine the unannounced beer list is probably better than what's announced), but hardly looks like the festival to end all festivals...

29. BeerKangaroo

Only ever had one by Cape Cod, as it was more my fault to not get down to Mass more to check out their stuff. I believe it was the Cape Cod Blonde, if I remember correctly, I did like that.

tigg924 likes this.
  30. RichD

RichD Champion (805) Mar 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

I'd have to go with Maine Beer, Allagash and Jacks Abby.

I think I'll ask the question everyone else is thinking, why Alaska. It might be the only place in America where you can day drink at 10pm.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  31. smutty33

smutty33 Zealot (578) Jun 12, 2009 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

For me:

New England and Smuttynose

Cheers All........:sunglasses:

32. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Among beers that are more or less local/regional, I'd miss Mayflower, Jack's Abby, and Cambridge the most; I'd miss Maine and Berkshire and Ipswich and Mystic as well. I believe Pretty Things gets around more than the others; if they weren't available in my new home I would cry bitter tears.

But if I were to leave New England it would be in order to return to California so, as far as beer goes, I think I'd be okay.

33. BarrelAgedBrian

BarrelAgedBrian Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2013 Massachusetts

I'd miss Sam Adams

Just kidding! Jack's Abby all the way for me :relaxed:

34. Dools9

Dools9 Zealot (515) Jul 5, 2011 Massachusetts

Definitely Jack's Abby and Maine Beer Co to name a few

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  35. jomobono

jomobono Disciple (348) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hill Farmstead
    The Alchemist and all that Waterbury has to offer
    Jack's Abby
    Tree House
    Allagash Coolship releases
    Pretty Things
    My Friday night Be Hoppy on draft at The Rail Trail in Hudson
    Armsby Abbey
    Julio's
    And most of all.....my greater metro-west drinking buddies.

36. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Zealot (515) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

....I'd enjoy much cheaper beer. And Happy Hour.

Longstaff likes this.
  37. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Ah, right.

If I were to bail on New England I'd probably make a point of finally finding a way up into Vermont to try these fabled brews before I left.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  38. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Excellent point

39. woosterbill

woosterbill Poo-Bah (2,616) Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

There's more to New England than happiness-hating Mass. Great happy hours down here in CT; I'll miss the hell out of Prime 16's half-price drafts and pizzas whenever I move away.

40. ScottieD

ScottieD Devotee (466) Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Definitely NEBCO. Would also miss Maine Brewing and Lawson's Finest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.