Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

If you were to host a bad beer tasting party...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by devlishdamsel, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domingo

Domingo Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Buffalo Bill's Blueberry Oatmeal Stout. I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to beers, including fruit ones. That stuff is horrible.
    landrewg likes this.
  2. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Sep 1, 2008 Illinois
    Subscriber Beer Trader

A pepper? That looks like a damn decomposing finger. Fingernail on it and all.
    oldp0rt, JxExM, MikeWard and 2 others like this.
  3. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

4. devlishdamsel

devlishdamsel Aug 1, 2009 Washington

one chilli beer per party, the point is to gag not get sick !
  5. azorie

azorie Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I could never host one, I like my friends. :D I have been to many of my relatives (get together there not really parties) have and its bud & bud lite lime for the win. I BYOB if I go. I try not to go.:p
  6. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

Wild Blue beer is one of the only times my body physically rejected somthing I put in it. I swallowed and it came right back up. Putrid...

That being said, I really like the idea of doing a "Bad Beer Tasting". Everyone has a few bottles that they are sitting on becasue they have heard/read bad things. I know I do.
  7. LeRose

LeRose Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts

I don't remember seeing Special Brew on that label. Special" must be a new word for heinous... Think beer and tomato juice is kind of a common "prepared beer" depending on where you are, but Clamato by itself is just...well..."special"...
  8. mecummins

mecummins Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

If you can still get your hands on Delirium Noel, it was, in one word, vile. BA reviews have as just OK, but I'm pretty sure that you could use it to torture prisoners instead of water boarding.

9. gatornation

gatornation Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

21st Amendment Fireside Chat
    hardy008 and MAbeerNE1 like this.
  10. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Those Micheladas dont look too bad next to that Sam Adams, but I am sure the cranberry is much better than their cherry wheat. I am not certain but I imagine Cherry Wheat and chit taste a lot alike!!
  11. ChanChan

ChanChan Dec 12, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I would have "infected beers" at my tasting, I've had 2009 Abyss, & 2012 Peruvian morning and these have been some of my all-time favorites!! Maybe I just got lucky tho!
  12. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Apr 20, 2012 Missouri

Just grab one out of each of the 6's that I don't recognize the name of at Trader Joe's
  13. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

Not as bad as I was expecting. Still the best pizza beer I have had to date...
  14. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Dec 3, 2010 Iowa

I recommend Mikkeller's Black Hole Peat Whiskey Edition. It is offensive in ways that words fail to communicate.​
  15. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Aug 30, 2012 California

My first thought as well, glad someone else has gone through this misery.
  16. mixed_master7

mixed_master7 May 16, 2012 Florida

Lost coast tangerine...wasn't expecting to be drinking flat orange soda.
    DrDemento456 likes this.
  17. drgarage

drgarage Aug 19, 2008 California

Having just had Idiot's Drool, it is an absolute requirement. And I'm told it's somehow gotten worse over time.
    mjw52 and flexabull like this.
  18. lucas1801

lucas1801 Apr 5, 2012 Massachusetts

Funny thing is I had a cask version where the ginger was minimal and it was ok, I tried a can once though...
  19. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

I really like the simplicity of the can, but that beer is BAD!
    Onenote81 and ColdOne like this.
  20. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Yeah. And not "Michael Jackson" BAD, either. Just plain BAD.

MADhombrewer likes this.
  21. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Oct 17, 2012 Texas

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat. ICK!
    cwreay90 likes this.
  22. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Anything by Davidson. Bought a mix 12 last summer and it was all bad beer.

23. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Off topic, but don't give up on trying peanut butter beers. A guy in our hb club brewed one that was the hit of the last meeting. We all, myself included, plan to try our hands at it now. Delicious. No banana in it though.

And OP, if you want to make this easy, just have the tasting at Gilded Otter in New Paltz, NY, and order anything.
    tobelerone likes this.
  24. Circleo12

Circleo12 Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Agreed. There are quite a few good/great Peanut Butter beers out there. Definitely don't give up on them due to Rogue's poor efforts at it.
  25. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Wow, the Otter sure has declined, hasn't it?
  26. johncosta60

johncosta60 Jun 30, 2012 New Jersey

Rogue Chiptole Ale, that is just awful in so many ways.
  27. EyePeeAyBryan

EyePeeAyBryan Dec 20, 2011 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Phoenix Ale Company - Any. Somehow this poison is served at our D-backs games.

Throw Old World Brewering beers on that list as well.
  28. Roudy

Roudy Aug 20, 2009 Georgia

Here's a partial shot of my old beer can collection. The Giant Food Premium Beer came out at the time that generic brands were becoming popular (early 80's). I didn't have a very sophisticated palate then, but I knew enough to drain pour this after a sip or two.
    luwak likes this.
  29. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

Agreed. I feel like this sounds like a good idea on paper, but after the second or third one, I seriously doubt I'd have any desire to continue.
  30. jmmy3

jmmy3 Nov 30, 2010 Massachusetts

How is his join date at all relevant to the matter? He's got more posts than you in 1/4 the amount of time strengthen your e-muscles brah.
  31. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Yup, Wild Blue. It's beyond awful.
  32. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Jan 2, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Midnight sun Treat- so many on the shelves here they should give the rest away so I don't have to look at them anymore
    Bitch please
  33. scootsmal

scootsmal Aug 15, 2012 New York

Definitely Steel Reserve

Porkslap, great label...bad beer
  34. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

I used to enjoy their beer before the owner cheaped out, and now it is just awful. Food's still good though.
  35. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

It just goes to show that you can't fool all the people all of the time. How did the owner cheap out?
    cavedave likes this.
  36. GR_Rick

GR_Rick Jul 14, 2012 Michigan

Agree with both of these comments.. I love the Neapolitan Milk Stout, and couldn't take more than 2 sips of the Charkoota Rye. Worst. beer. ever.
    adamdd likes this.
  37. kdb150

kdb150 Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I second Oude Tart's inclusion. I pray age makes it better.
  38. RyFikes

RyFikes Jan 3, 2013 New York

Pretty confused why there would be a party for the purpose of intentionally tasting bad beer.
  39. SmallestArt

SmallestArt Jun 9, 2010 Michigan

I am going to go with New Holland's Charkoota Rye. I know some who like it, but I do not care for this beer at all.
    adamdd likes this.
  40. flexabull

flexabull Mar 9, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

Funny, I actually thought it had improved ever so slightly since the last time I had it (about a year ago). I think I may have preferred it to Chez Monieux.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!