I'm Gary Fish. In 1988 I founded Deschutes Brewery. Ask Me Anything!

Discussion in 'Ask Me Anything' started by GaryatDeschutes, Jun 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaryatDeschutes

GaryatDeschutes Initiate (133) Jun 16, 2003 Oregon

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, due to demand, Inversion no longer makes it to Colorado. However, we are seeing a resurgence of the brand in the Northwest, so you never know. Seems in a pandemic, people really love a great IPA, even one that's been around for a while!

2. GaryatDeschutes

oops! Yea, Cinder Cone has not yet made it back into the schedule again. However, Chainbreaker and Twilight made it back, so you never know!

3. GaryatDeschutes

Obsidian Stout continues in production. So, chances of that are greater than Bachelor Bitter which is only made in our Bend pub. Seems people don't like/know the word "bitter". I know, weird.....

woemad, OakvilleKGB, thuey and 4 others like this.
  4. GaryatDeschutes

Thank you. Glad to hear it!!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  5. GaryatDeschutes

Certainly not like it is today. I think we were the 4th or 5th brewery to open in Oregon. Now there are hundreds. In Bend, a town of 100k people alone there are over 20 breweries. Extreme beer had a completely different meaning ;-)

6. GaryatDeschutes

I would start by working for a brewery. Learn the business and see if that is what you really want to commit your life to. The scene has changed dramatically since we started. The market is very crowded with breweries making very good beer. Also, this is a business. It's nice to think of taking your hobby pro, but think hard about what it is that you really want. It's much more difficult to succeed these days. Good luck!

woemad, OakvilleKGB, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  7. GaryatDeschutes

Yea, that was a very unfortunate situation. We supported so much of what was in that bill. However, as with many political subjects, by the time it went public there was much on the bill that had nothing to do with conservation or greenhouse gas. And, nothing that considered the economic harm it would do. Add to that, a conservation organization we belonged to used our name in support of the bill, when we had not even read it yet. We did not believe we had a choice but to withdraw our support and hope a better bill could be crafted that we could support.
    I hope this helps.

woemad, OakvilleKGB, ChicagoJ and 6 others like this.
  8. GaryatDeschutes

ooh,, great question. One we wrestle with every day. Above all else, we are a commercial brewery. That means we have to make beers people want to buy. We always try and respect beers that came before us by making our beers signature Deschutes'. I've mentioned this before, but we really like beer! So, there aren't many styles we can say don't have some redeeming quality. And, at the end of the day, everything we make must meet the Deschutes standard for quality, both subjective and objective.

9. GaryatDeschutes

Thanks! You keep drinking, we'll keep brewing!

10. GaryatDeschutes

Beer people are the best!!

OakvilleKGB and jampics2 like this.
  11. GaryatDeschutes

Thanks, that's good to know. We have no plans at this point, but you never know.....although, sometimes a CDA will pop up at one of our pubs!

OakvilleKGB and Lulah like this.
  12. GaryatDeschutes

Thanks! We love them too. Not sure of plans for Stoic, but have you heard of our Reserve Club? https://shop.deschutesbrewery.com/clubs-c2.aspx
    There's always something interesting there!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  13. GaryatDeschutes

We'll keep brewing, as long as you keep drinking!

14. GaryatDeschutes

Just knowing you're there, makes us want to get there! Good things come to those who wait! We're doing the research.....

15. GaryatDeschutes

Well, I think saturation has been reached, or never will. 20+ breweries in a town of 100k is a lot. With that being said I think growth, overall, has been good for Bend (and the beer scene). However, it's not without it's challenges. And I know everyone in Bend does not agree with this opinion. I'm just hoping we all make it out of this pandemic so we can continue to argue about such things!

16. GaryatDeschutes

We have brewed many Belgian styles. The Stoic, Not The Stoic, The Dissident, The Ages, and on and on. However most of those see only limited distribution and may not make their way to Texas. Part of the limitation of our American distribution system. One way to get some of these special beers is through our Reserve Club. https://shop.deschutesbrewery.com/clubs-c2.aspx

Some really good beers there!

woemad, OakvilleKGB, ChicagoJ and 4 others like this.
  17. GaryatDeschutes

Pennsylvania, Virginia, DC, New Jersey. We keep looking at more.
    Thanks for the props!!

woemad and OakvilleKGB like this.
  18. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I do dig that Twilight!

19. GaryatDeschutes

Well....... Look this fall for.......Royal Fresh The latest addition to our Fresh Family (Fresh Squeezed, Fresh Haze, L'il Squeezy Juicy Ale, and now, Royal Fresh IIPA)

woemad, OakvilleKGB, Lulah and 7 others like this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I will keep my eyes open, thank you for the replies.
    :beers::beers:

21. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Almost forgot, thanks for sharing the fresh hop experience broadly through distro with Hop Trip! Especially with a pale ale, where the fresh hops can easily 'take the lead'.

22. GaryatDeschutes

Whereas IPA's are all the rage, I'm with you. Most of the time I just want a beer that doesn't burn my tongue and allows me to have more than one, if I wan to. Whereas IPA's are all the rage, we have several "lighter" Pale Ales like: L'il Squeezy Juicy Ale, Wowza! Hazy Pale Ale, Mirror Pond Pale Ale, and our summer seasonal Twilight Ale.

23. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (6,007) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Since someone else brought up Collage - I loved #2 and wondered if more were coming from that series within a series? Enjoy stuff from both breweries involved, but the collaboration was a (sadly) rare huge success, in my opinion.

woemad and jakecattleco like this.
  24. bauers

bauers Disciple (399) Feb 6, 2011 California
    Society Trader

Gary, have you considered doing for Obsidian Stout the equivalent of what you do with Black Butte Porter and turning it into Black Butte Reserve?

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Sounds great if I can get it fresh in NC( doubtful), please don’t make it an 11% sweet bomb of a beer.

woemad likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,565) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Do you think this beer might be more appealing to some customers if you branded it as an English Pale Ale instead? Basically just another way of categorizing a Bitter Ale.

Cheers!

woemad, pudgym29, DoIa and 3 others like this.
  27. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,856) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

Mirror Mirror is definitely my favorite Deschutes beer. Based on the reviews, it is the favorite of many! Please bring it back!

woemad, OakvilleKGB, thuey and 2 others like this.
  28. Ebace1

Ebace1 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2019

Where can I find Abyss and Dissident in Europe?

29. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (60) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

No questions that I can think of, just wanted to thank you for all you and your team do and have done to make craft beer what it is. I enjoy Black Butte quite a bit but when I had my first Obsidian I was completely blown away! I've never had a better basic stout and I've had many! I consider it to be one of the finest stouts in the world. Living in WV there is nowhere for me to purchase your fine brews locally but I definitely make it a point to pick up any Deschutes brew I can find when traveling. I still have one bottle of Obsidian left in my cellar. I can hardly bear the thought of drinking it as that will likely be the last I have in a long time with with Covid nixing all my travel plans for the foreseeable future. Again thanks for all the magnificent brews!

30. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I love that these great brewers and owners take the time to open themselves up. I’m not a brewer, have zero technical knowledge of the art, but I certainly learn a bit from the Q and As. Good on BA terrific idea.

OakvilleKGB and TrojanRB like this.
  31. GaryatDeschutes

Dan, not sure about the first one. Maybe a sentimental attachment to Coors Banquet....
    I'm a restaurant guy (47 years), so food is a big part of what I do. Again, I love variety, and experimenting with pairings. Not sure why, but Paella keeps popping into my head......

32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,127) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

The Reserve (Club) series sure looks interesting. How wide a distribution will it see?

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  33. GaryatDeschutes

34. GaryatDeschutes

Casablanca!

35. GaryatDeschutes

Thanks! You keep drinking, we'll keep brewing!

OakvilleKGB and hopsputin like this.
  36. GaryatDeschutes

Thanks, currently, we do not distribute in the Northeast. But, we're working on it! When the current crisis has passed, you never know........:-)

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  37. GaryatDeschutes

Everyone seems to really be digging pilsners lately. And, Americans are starting to make them with real cred.

38. GaryatDeschutes

Well, we've kind of given up on naming beers for local landmarks. Mirror Pond (wheras there are many around the country) is not very relevant for someone in Texas, or Pennsylvania. We are more in favor of trying to describe the experience of drinking the beer. Although, with 8,500 breweries in the U.S. sometimes you simply have to take what you can get.

39. GaryatDeschutes

I must profess I'm not sure what you can get in Virginia, but look for Bulk Phaze!

40. GaryatDeschutes

Thank you!!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.